Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

I need to learn how to make Flour tortillas.  Mostly To use for fajitas.  

i smoked up some chicken last night, and it was awesome.  For lunch I made myself a chicken fajita, just the cut up leftover chicken, grilled onions, cheese in a store bought tortilla.  And it was good.  Very good in fact.  

however I thought to myself, “I can make a better tortilla than this.” Of course, I have a lot of confidence for somebody who’s has never done it.  😛 

any advice either on recipes or equipment?

On 7/4/2020 at 9:33 PM, China said:

Made chicken bombs today (boneless, skinless chicken thighs filled with jalapenos stuffed with an herbed cream cheese/goat cheese mixture; then the whole thing is wrapped with bacon, slow cooked in a smoker and glazed (I used a BBQ/soy glaze) to finish.  This was the first time I'd made these.  Brilliant

You just added a thing to cook to my list.  Those look bodacious. 

On 7/2/2020 at 8:36 AM, TheMalcolmConnection said:

Ahh, thanks! Maybe it was the smoker temp that was the problem. Wondering if I've been running way lower than I thought! I'll give that a go. Thanks for the advice!

I have a MasterBuilt electric smoker (and I love it) and a MEATER probe thermometer.  The one thing I’ve noticed over the years is the temp on the smoker reads somewhere between. 20-30 degrees higher than the probe reads in the middle of the smoker.  No idea why.  When I smoke a pork shoulder, I typically set my temp at 260, and the probe typically reads between 225-230 for the entire cook.  

On 7/4/2020 at 7:04 PM, Given said:

<picture of finished meat on cutting board.>

You have my cutting board.  Give it back ! :P 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

i smoked up some chicken last night, and it was awesome.  For lunch I made myself a chicken fajita, just the cut up leftover chicken, grilled onions, cheese in a store bought tortilla.  And it was good.  Very good in fact.  

however I thought to myself, “I can make a better tortilla than this.” Of course, I have a lot of confidence for somebody who’s has never done it.  😛 

https://www.newmexico.org/nmmagazine/articles/post/tortilla-recipe/

I wish I could make them as good as some of my friends moms.  Use lard unless you're going to be eating them daily. 

Edited by KAOSkins
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I made some recently with bacon grease since I didn't have lard handy. They came out great, I forget exactly what recipe I used but the one @KAOSkins posted above should do you fine.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

Don't know and don't know, lets say a chicken in the oven.

Brining is really useful in keeping the meat flavorful and moist. Chicken and turkey dries out very easily. Google some brings, find one that appeals to you--and follow the instructions. Feel free to DM me with any questions. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Must be a generational thing with crab lovers here in Md. Been here most of my life now, but I just cannot tolerate crab. Still have the heart of a transplant 

Generational how? Not sure what you mean.

13 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

First shot at brisket, a little too much salt on the rub, but turned out really well. I'll use an apple cider vinegar mop next time.

20200718_155646.jpg

Looks good!

Might I suggest dry brining, and a salt free rub? Google "Meatheads Big Bad Beef Rub" for the recipe. Skip the mop, foil* at 170°, and check for tenderness at @195°, (you can poke a probe, right through the foil). If it's not tender, take it up to 203°

No matter what, it needs to rest, at minimum,  one , preferably two. It will stay piping hot, if you double wrap it in foil, and stick it in a cooler,(Google "faux cambro" for more detail.

I'm sure that you'll like it.

*wrap it tightly in the foil, so the beautiful bark isn't ruined.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

@Skinsfan1311 - have you tried wrapping in butcher paper as opposed to foil? I've heard the butcher paper allows the meat to breathe better, which allows for more smoke flavor

I throw a half a cup of beer in for that wrap (Texas crutch) so paper won't do.  Per amazingribs.com at sf1311's recommendation. Had Texans tell me it's better than what they can get at home. I'm sold on that method. The faux cambro/cooler thing is key. Even a small brisket takes 8 hours to reach the stall and that's plenty smokey.

Edited by KAOSkins
  • Like 1

So I've got a question I can't find an exact answer to online...

I picked up some split bone-in chicken breasts at Sams on sale and intend to smoke them on the pellet smoker.  Yesterday, was a loss due to being extremely hungover.  (Shout out to Devils Backbone - Orange Smash).  I'm playing catch up today and got kind of a head of myself.  I made a quick brine for the breasts, warm water, ice, salt, sugar, bay leaf.  They are in their bathing now.

I just warmed through some butter, cajun seasoning, brown sugar, garlic powder and smoked paprika to inject the breasts.  I'd prefer to smoke these tomorrow.

Would it be okay to take the breasts out of the brine here in the next few hours, inject them with the butter, rub them down and let them hang out in the fridge to be smoked tomorrow?  I realize it's pretty much always okay to apply rub and let hang out overnight, but not sure if injecting the night before would cause any issues.

EDIT: Nevermind, I took the plunge and did it anyways.

Took the chicken out of the brine, dried it off, injected each breast with the butter solution, and then rubbed it down both over and under the skin with a mix of salt, brown sugar, black pepper, cayenne, smoked paprika, ground mustard, onion and garlic powder.

We'll find out how it turns out, but it both looks and smells like it's going to be incredible.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome

18 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Brining is really useful in keeping the meat flavorful and moist. Chicken and turkey dries out very easily. Google some brings, find one that appeals to you--and follow the instructions. Feel free to DM me with any questions. 

Maybe I'll give it a shot this weekend.