Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

On 11/8/2020 at 6:25 PM, LadySkinsFan said:

Last of my marathon cooking, I made some shrimp gumbo from my mom's recipe. Have enough to freeze a bunch. 

I used to make these recipes that were originally for four people, and try to reduce to one serving. Now I can make the full recipe and freeze the rest for individual meals. This makes me happy!

You just learned about a freezer? Hmm. 

2 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

You just learned about a freezer? Hmm. 

No, I used to vacuum freeze when I lived in Virginia too. What's new is I am going through my mom's recipe box and making the full recipes. Our family of four had almost no leftovers because my mom cooked every day, and I miss those foods and it's hard to keep breaking down the recipes for one person. 

In Virginia, I bought bulk meats and broke them down for individual meals. Now I'm cooking entire recipes and breaking them down into individual meals.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

I know, I just pulled one out of the freezer for dinner. 

Right? I havent had one since way back in late spring. I want it bad now. Just dont feel like doing anything other than couch potato-ing for today, though :ols:

The Outback next town over from me is delicious.  One of the best ones around. Might hook me up a porterhouse and some aussie fries.

• Like 2

Got a few things going today

Keto Pizza Balls for the wife (https://www.maebells.com/easy-keto-pizza-bites/)

smoked chicken thighs with a random mix of spices (paprika, Italian seasoning, garlic, Montreal chicken, onion salt, Italian dressing)

Turkey (https://natashaskitchen.com/juicy-roast-turkey-recipe/) - and added a couple additional spices - still another hour or so on the turkey

BC367A4C-AEDB-4B15-85A6-330ABCEFB20B.jpeg

AB8E6E86-20F5-437B-A887-97507CF0F886.jpeg

3796F0FC-6286-42B2-B0A2-31D756375752.jpeg

and mimosas with the cooking and Christmas decorations

image.jpg

Edited by steve09ru
  • Like 6

Went out to Winchester yesterday.  Got a couple of locally grown tomahawk ribeyes that I'll cook up a la PB, but what we really got was a ****-ton of apples (they were so cheap we couldn't resist):

KA8CELI.jpg

This pic is after about a dozen have been used/eaten.  I just used some to make an apple crisp:

X9tU2d3.jpg?1

Looks like I need some vanilla ice cream.

• Like 7

@steve09ru I see the ninja sheet pan air fryer.  My wife got us one of these on sale about 3 weeks ago.  I’ve always been skeptical of air fryers but this thing is 425 in 60 seconds.  We’ve made some great dishes and even sheet pan meals in there in a heartbeat that have came out great.  It also makes day old pizza almost better than when you picked it up.  We replaced out toaster with this and it does that well also.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, China said:

Went out to Winchester yesterday.  Got a couple of locally grown tomahawk ribeyes that I'll cook up a la PB, but what we really got was a ****-ton of apples (they were so cheap we couldn't resist):

KA8CELI.jpg

This pic is after about a dozen have been used/eaten.  I just used some to make an apple crisp:

X9tU2d3.jpg?1

Looks like I need some vanilla ice cream.

That's where I'm from. Don't get me going on apples...best things He made. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

That's where I'm from. Don't get me going on apples...best things He made. 

Marinating some pork with apples, mustard and soy sauce now.  Will have an apple/soy glaze when done.  Probably too lazy to make an apple compote to go with it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

@steve09ru I see the ninja sheet pan air fryer.  My wife got us one of these on sale about 3 weeks ago.  I’ve always been skeptical of air fryers but this thing is 425 in 60 seconds.  We’ve made some great dishes and even sheet pan meals in there in a heartbeat that have came out great.  It also makes day old pizza almost better than when you picked it up.  We replaced out toaster with this and it does that well also.

It really is great- I haven’t done raw meats in there but have done a lot of frozen and it’s super quick.  Left over pizza for 3-4 minutes is money though!  Has a nice crisp to it and with some I definitely prefer it over fresh

• Like 2

Tried the cheese filled pork tenderloin tonight.

Pros - pork & bacon plus smoky taste. Cons - cream cheese sucks as a filling. Wife doesn't like real spicy food so I left out the jalapeno. 

Any suggestions on a better cheese to use? The cream cheese + cheddar was bland (also had chili powder & S&P). Pork was juicy but cheese filling - ugh. Also had smoked tomatoes & zucchini that looked better after it cooked longer...

1677594131_Dinner1-11-23.jpg.95afbaf44ec3e9518ae686766d5e086c.jpg739118008_dinner11-23.jpg.59b30eba14d547c84b61cc1127b76d6c.jpg

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Tried the cheese filled pork tenderloin tonight.

Pros - pork & bacon plus smoky taste. Cons - cream cheese sucks as a filling. Wife doesn't like real spicy food so I left out the jalapeno. 

Any suggestions on a better cheese to use? The cream cheese + cheddar was bland (also had chili powder & S&P). Pork was juicy but cheese filling - ugh. Also had smoked tomatoes & zucchini that looked better after it cooked longer...

Made something similar I posted a few pages back (around July 4th).  Essentially boneless chicken thighs with jalapeno and cream cheese center, and the whole thing wrapped in bacon.  A couple of notes:  1) smoked them first for a while, the cooked low and slow.   2) The jalepeno becomes very mild when cooking low and slow for a couple of hours.  3) I mixed in some goat cheese with the cream cheese to add some tang.  4) Also seasoned inside and out with SPG and smoked paprika.  5) The finishing was with a glaze (the recipe called for straight BBQ sauce, but I made my own which was a mixture of BBQ sauce and soy glaze.

Edit:  Here it is:

Edited by China
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...