Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

22 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

This looks like such a yummy dinner! When I had my vacation place in Coral Gables, we used to go down to Lincoln Road to an Italian restaurant and I ordered veal marsala. One of my favorite dishes!

A few years ago, we dropped marsala  sauce off the menu. 

I had more than a few things to say about that. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LadySkinsFan said:

This looks like such a yummy dinner! When I had my vacation place in Coral Gables, we used to go down to Lincoln Road to an Italian restaurant and I ordered veal marsala. One of my favorite dishes!

59 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

A few years ago, we dropped marsala  sauce off the menu. 

I had more than a few things to say about that. 

MARSALA ALL THE THINGS!

• Like 3

I've made chicken marsala maybe a half dozen times in my life and try different techniques each time.  It seems the most popular way is to lightly flour the chicken breasts and let that be the thickener for the sauce.  I've tried that way before and it was good but tried something different this time and it came out perfect.  I seasoned the chicken breasts with salt, pepper and complete seasoning and sautéed them in butter and olive oil, let them rest in the oven while I made the sauce.  I sautéed shallots, garlic and mushrooms in butter and olive oil and then added a bit of flour and cooked the flour taste out.  From there I added the marsala wine, chicken stock, and a splash of balsamic vinegar.  Once it got to a good consistency, I added the chicken breasts back in.  Then I added a few pats of butter for good measure.  Sauce didn't break and I'm excited for the leftovers for lunch today.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I've made chicken marsala maybe a half dozen times in my life and try different techniques each time.  It seems the most popular way is to lightly flour the chicken breasts and let that be the thickener for the sauce.  I've tried that way before and it was good but tried something different this time and it came out perfect.  I seasoned the chicken breasts with salt, pepper and complete seasoning and sautéed them in butter and olive oil, let them rest in the oven while I made the sauce.  I sautéed shallots, garlic and mushrooms in butter and olive oil and then added a bit of flour and cooked the flour taste out.  From there I added the marsala wine, chicken stock, and a splash of balsamic vinegar.  Once it got to a good consistency, I added the chicken breasts back in.  Then I added a few pats of butter for good measure.  Sauce didn't break and I'm excited for the leftovers for lunch today.

This is the way!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2020 at 9:39 AM, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Looks so good!  I really want to try to make this as I love Chicken Marsala.  

• Like 2

Tried some baking today - I cook a lot but not much baking so this is a little new. It's Swedish Limpa Rye bread. My mom used to make it during the holiday season. Here is the recipe link I used - same as moms - I checked 🙂  

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/257661/swedish-limpa-rye-bread/

Here are some notes after making it: 

Ingredients: 

I had to substitute Whole Wheat flour for Rye Flour. I decided too late and could not find any rye. Next time will order it. So mine is lighter than if I used Rye flour. 

If you can't find anise seeds, use more fennel and caraway. I am not sure there is a lot of difference. But I used Anise. 

For the orange zest I used the cheese grater. Worked well. 

Baking including Prep:

--> Instruction do not say when to add the spices from step 1 in. I guess it's implied but I would prefer they be accurate. I didn't notice until the milk was cooling so I added then. Next time I will add while the milk is heating and butter melting. 

--> When they say a large saucepan, they mean it. You will do the first mixing for flour in that pan. Need room to knead with your hands at the end. 

--> I would add 15 minutes to each rise time. It will make it a little more fluffy. 

Final product:

I made a double batch and made round bread - kind of like the old days 🙂  However, this bread does not rise much. So it you want like sandwich slices or for toast I recommend using baking pans. 

Below is how it turned out (I got so excited to eat it I cut a few slices before taking the picture).

Hope you enjoy it. 

IMG_0812.thumb.JPG.0e49a7adf5fa836dba7b74cde6fcb56e.JPG

• Like 6

Just now, PleaseBlitz said:

Looks awesome @goskins10

Personally I don’t bake. I love cooking because it is a creative outlet for me and I can eat the results and impress my friends.

Cooking is art, baking is chemistry. 

Thanks. I agree to a certain extent. I think the really good bakers are artists too. But for me it's a bit of drudgery lol.  

I love to cook. I actually went to culinary school and was in the restaurant business in a different life. But never got into baking. Still not my favorite but this was kind of for mom. Will tell her tomorrow I made it when I call her. She will be happy that I have that memory. 

Your dish looked great too. I will try it sometime. I never turn down bacon. I maintain it should be a food group on it's own. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1