Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

I have some chicken quarters marinating to cook on the grill this evening for the old ladies sister (not so thrilled about company from Texas but what am I gonna do, she's careful I'm told).  Thinking to use my Weber kettle but I could use a quick pointer from the kettle guys here on how to regulate the temps using the ventilation holes.  Top all the way open, bottom barely opened for an indirect cook?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KAOSkins said:

I have some chicken quarters marinating to cook on the grill this evening for the old ladies sister (not so thrilled about company from Texas but what am I gonna do, she's careful I'm told).  Thinking to use my Weber kettle but I could use a quick pointer from the kettle guys here on how to regulate the temps using the ventilation holes.  Top all the way open, bottom barely opened for an indirect cook?

For chicken quarters?

Are you using a Slow n Sear? Weber charcoal baskets? Or...piling up charcoal on one side?

With the SnS, filled with 3/4 of a chimney starter full of coals, Ileave the bottom vents open, and the top vents about 1/2 way.

With the charcoal baskets, I fill each one with 26 briquettes,  and leave both vents wide open.

If you're just piling them up on one side, I suggest starting with bottom vent wide open, and top 1/2 way. Whatever it takes to keep the temps between 325° and 375° works. 

Regardless of the method, take them to an internal temp of 175°  They're safe to eat at 165°, but dark meat has a much better texture at 175°

BTW...controlling the temps on a Weber kettle is usually the opposite of what you described.  Most of the time, you want the bottom vents wide open, and control the temps by adjusting the lid vent.  It's easier that way.  The only time I mess with the bottom vents are when I'm cooking low and slow, or if the temps really run away.   Good luck!

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Yummy! I had tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich for dinner. It's been chilly and rainy the last few days, actually had to wear long jeans instead of shorts! It's sunny this afternoon, still not hot. Grateful!

I was gonna do that very same thing!...I did breakfast cuz I can use the gravy later in the wknd.

I can't remember the last time I wore shorts. It's been decades (outside of 4 years of Island life, and that was great).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

I was gonna do that very same thing!...I did breakfast cuz I can use the gravy later in the wknd.

I can't remember the last time I wore shorts. It's been decades (outside of 4 years of Island life, and that was great).

When it's consistently over 80° and into the 100s, you wear shorts or die. Today it's sunny and it's back to shorts!

• Like 1

For pizza sauce, I opened a small can of tomato sauce and added some sugar, dried oregano, and minced garlic. My grocery store sells tubs of pealed garlic cloves. I bought one and minced the garlic in my small mincer. Then into a glass jar with some olive oil. I also heated the cut pieces of Genoa salami to render some fat out, and cut some slices of smoked provolone into pieces. I am all ready to make pizza tomorrow!

• Like 2