Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Gruden says he'll recommend Redskins retain Haslett

HapHaszard

I posted this in the tweets thread, but seeing so many have a meltdown over what really seems insignificant, I thought I'd help out and post it here. Should, at the very least, put it in its proper context:

I will get all psycho-babble with you....jay repeated the question before answering it... Clear sign he was full of BS with his response. He had to say, "yes" but his previous responses were clear that changes are coming. Other than LB coaches, all defensive coaches should be given their walking papers.

I never believe these "insiders" and anything they say. They are not in the meetings and unless he planted a big in the office, it's all just speculation at this point.

Just the Candles attempt to rip the front office. He hates the Skins and wkll be the first to say Same ole Snyder any chance he gets. Haz is gone.

What's really sad is, you don't have to succeed here to keep your reputation. The organization is such a clown act that even when you suck, retain garbage because they're your buddy, make every excuse in the book, etc., you can still get fired, be rich, keep all your "friends" happy and just blame it on the organization being clownly..

It would be great if Gruden stepped up and did/said the tough things a young HC on a bad football team should.. But he's not worried about screwing up his coaching cred here, cause he can leave and then laugh about us with the rest of the football world..

At this point hiring Jay really looks to have been a bad thing on multiple levels.  Put aside his blunders as a rookie HC, the QB drama, him looking totally overwhelmed by the situation, etc.  He's part of this good ole boy network that Allen's installed.  His powers as a HC are limited because if this,...he's basically a puppet. 

Until everything from Allen on down is swept out of here and a true GM hired to rebuild this team nothing is going to change. 

Is Dan just clueless?  Or truly stupid?  I mean,...I really don't get it.  How is he perceiving the situation?  He can't see how bad truely are?  I mean,..just the defense alone -- 5 straight seasons of suckage.  Where else in the NFL can you stink so bad ro so long can keep your job?

Pudge Gruden needs to put on his most nipple accentuating Skins T shirt. Go to the podium with a bucket of KFC and tell the world what we already know..."I haven't got a fricking clue what I'm doing"

That would be too much for too many on here to take. 

Rather than that reality they'd rather blame everyone BAR the HC instead of seeing him for what he is. A MAJOR part of the COLLECTIVE problem. 

Hail. 

Well, you have to start somewhere. You can't right the ship if you don't replace the broken oars. True, we aren't a DC away from contending, but why continue going in a direction that hasn't worked.

To borrow your analogy, this ship is rudderless. Fixing the oars isn't going help. Ours players suck because our coaches suck, our coaches suck because our FO sucks, and our FO sucks because our owners sucks. This franchise is doomed.

Haz is Jay's friend so of course he is going to say something along those lines. It is troubling to hear it but that is the politically correct answer at this point. Even if they weren't personal friends he isn't going to hang him out and say I want him fired before the proper steps are taken. The fact that he says the decision will be a collective one in which all 3 agree on tells me that they will consider other options. we cannot roll with Haz again, if this team had a good defense that alone would improve our season to a 7 to 8 win team, imo.

Why do you even stay?  Serious question.

Probably because he's rooted into this mess from birth, like the rest of us?

Ever tried just giving up on "your" team and rooting for another? (serious question) I wouldn't know, because it's impossible to even consider, if your a true fanatic..

At some point being a good head coach and leader means putting the rest of the team, the fanbase, and everyone else above your friendship and being politically correct.  Considering that, Jay has failed miserably as a head coach.  Its great to say fluffy stuff to make Haslett feel better, but seriously, what about the entire fanbase and all of the players and coaches who deserve better?  What precedent does that set to the rest of the team and coaches, that being terrible at your job will get you praise from the head coach?  At some point, it HAS to stop being about friendship, and at that point the Redskins will stop being a laughingstock of the NFL.  Its not at that point, and I have serious doubts Jay Gruden will ever see that point.

To borrow your analogy, this ship is rudderless. Fixing the oars isn't going help. Ours players suck because our coaches suck, our coaches suck because our FO sucks, and our FO sucks because our owners sucks. This franchise is doomed.

It's got a rudder. Problem is, the right guy isn't steering it.

For those that say you got to give a vote of confidence for an assistant whether you plan to let them go or not.  I follow the idea. I do get the approval nod stuff, sure why not be nice?  

But, IMO I think you are going a step too far if you really think that assistant coach did a poor job but tell the media multiple times they've done an excellent job.  So yeah I've been on the record on saying its clear to me that Jay really really likes his pal, Haz and its unlikely just a phony dance to help Haz get his next job.  Do I think Jay would die on the sword for Haz if the FO feels otherwise, nope, that would surprise me.  It's rare for a HC to say this guy stays or am gone, especially a neophyte HC like Jay. 

But just to show how Philbin handled it: 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Joe Philbin asks for more time to decide on staff changes

Posted by Darin Gantt on December 30, 2014, 9:01 AM EST
ab30c1225fd4596f74eeedcc6c232467-e141994Getty Images

Dolphins coach Joe Philbin refused to discussthe future of his coaching staff during the season.

On the first day of the offseason, he maintained that stance.

Philbin was noncommittal when asked about defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle, whose defense fell apart late.

I need obviously some time to think about some things,” Philbin said, via Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald. “The season just ended, but I haven’t made any decisions about any coaches for 2015, none of them.”

The year offered promise with the development of quarterback Ryan Tannehill, but they backslid on the other side of the ball, allowing 28, 41, 35 and 37 points in their final four games.

“Put it on everything,” defensive tackle Randy Starks said. “It was miscommunication, different things. We weren’t on the same page [late in the season]. It fell apart at the end.”

Philbin got a reprieve from owner Stephen Ross this year, but it’s obvious things aren’t totally stable there, so some changes to the defensive side might be necessary.

Ever tried just giving up on "your" team and rooting for another? (serious question) I wouldn't know, because it's impossible to even consider, if your a true fanatic..

Yeah I've made the switch.... I use to live in Houston and was a huge Texans fan and when I moved to VA and couldn't see all the games I found it extremely difficult to keep up with and enjoy the team.  Even though the Redskins since I've moved here have been far worse then the Texans, I still enjoy it.  Switching is doable, but it's not easy.

HTTR!

Yeah I've made the switch.... I use to live in Houston and was a huge Texans fan and when I moved to VA and couldn't see all the games I found it extremely difficult to keep up with and enjoy the team.  Even though the Redskins since I've moved here have been far worse then the Texans, I still enjoy it.  Switching is doable, but it's not easy.

HTTR!

Wow, really?  I would love to have another team instead of this joke of a franchise, but I just cant find the passion for any other team then I do for this one.  I dont know, its hard to explain but rooting for another team is almost like rooting against your brother in a street fight.  You might hate him sometimes but hes still your brother.

I could never root for another team because I've been fanatical supporter of the team for so long.  Wouldn't even know how to root for another team.  That being said I'm envious of the team about 40 minutes up the road.  They seem to do it right all the time.  Make the playoffs and win Super Bowls! 

The Ravens have the structure in place for long term success while our success is dictated by clowns better known as the Clown Show!

HTTR!

I'm at a tug of war here.  On one hand, I think Jay giving Haslett his recommendation is simply coach speak.  While Jay is known for being blunt, he's just blunt about players, not coaches.  Parcells was the same way.  I don't ever recall Parcells calling out his coaches like he did with players.  Jay is probably friends with Haslett. Of course he's going to publicly give Haslett his support.

On the other hand, I don't trust this organization at all.  This organization has disappointed me so many times, that I can see Haslett coming back.  It makes absolutely no sense bringing him back, which means this team probably will. 

Honestly, and I mean it, I think I might tap out if Haslett comes back.  I tapped out for a few years during the Norv reign.  I can do it again.  Bringing back Haslett would not just disappoint me.  I think it would actually depress me.  Screw that.  I'm not going to let this team start affecting my spirits.

The only thing I can think of is that the players just suck.  Is there any way to go back and know exactly what defense was called for each play so that when they review film they know it was the correct call?  There has be something we as fans are missing that everyone on the coaching staff can see.  Otherwise I just have no valid explanation as to why.

And no, I've NEVER supported Haslett previously.  Read any of my posts lol

Wow, really?  I would love to have another team instead of this joke of a franchise, but I just cant find the passion for any other team then I do for this one.  I dont know, its hard to explain but rooting for another team is almost like rooting against your brother in a street fight.  You might hate him sometimes but hes still your brother.

I'm the same way, but I'm not going to lie, I have a few friends who are life long Redskin fans and some have been flirting with other teams.  This is the first year where the thoughts of cheating on my team have entered my mind.  If anyone bails, I honestly can't blame them at this point.  This team is the Redskins by name only.  It isn't the same Redskins many of us grew up with.  Snyder has turned a beloved franchise into a clown show and he'll probably outlive most of us.

At some point being a good head coach and leader means putting the rest of the team, the fanbase, and everyone else above your friendship and being politically correct.  Considering that, Jay has failed miserably as a head coach.  Its great to say fluffy stuff to make Haslett feel better, but seriously, what about the entire fanbase and all of the players and coaches who deserve better?  What precedent does that set to the rest of the team and coaches, that being terrible at your job will get you praise from the head coach?  At some point, it HAS to stop being about friendship, and at that point the Redskins will stop being a laughingstock of the NFL.  Its not at that point, and I have serious doubts Jay Gruden will ever see that point.

Well, the last time, Jay spoke freely about his feelings regarding someone, he got killed nationally for doing it.

Here's the thing, though, and this isn't a slight to J in the least...

But things change. Situations are dynamic. What was the plan one day can change the next.

Until it happens, I'll believe it when I see it.

Yep, I think he's one of the most reliable, but the night before the draft he was willing to bet his life that we were taking Locker no matter what.

Didn't happen.  That was probably the latest plan that he heard, but things change pretty rapidly.

Archived