Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Gruden says he'll recommend Redskins retain Haslett

HapHaszard

http://www.csnwashington.com/redskinsblog/gruden-says-hell-recommend-redskins-retain-haslett

At his final press conference of the year, Redskins coach Jay Gruden gave his support to embattled defensive coordinator Jim Haslett, saying that he would recommend retaining Haslett for a sixth season to general manager Bruce Allen and owner Dan Snyder.

Gruden, who finished his rookie season as an NFL head coach with a 4-12 record, said that he would meet with Allen on Tuesday and then with Snyder and Allen on Sunday. The final decision on retaining Haslett will be up to Snyder and Allen, although Gruden anticipates a consensus being reached.

click on the link for more

I hope he's just lying, I never excused Jay of his mistakes this year but I believe he needed a chance at a 2nd season.

Now that I know he wants Haz back I'm seriously wondering is he that stupid or is he not calling the shots, maybe it was just coach speak.

We'll fire Haslett, interview 78 candidates, then promote Raheem.

That's where my money was too. I can't figure out if I think that's a good or bad thing, though.

More important to me is if they head back to the 4-3. If so, I could probably deal with Morris. Who else is out there that's a clearly better option? Too bad they burnt GG. ;)

All of you all worrying about Haslett need to follow the ES alumni. You need to follow these guys on twitter. I will post this again for those who might have missed it from earlier:

JsteelzHttr24-7‏@JsteelznSkins 19h19 hours ago
Say goodbye to Haz. Gruden won't fire him because of ties of past . Feels it would tough to do but bruce will fire Haz.Had 1 yr left on deal
0 replies 18 retweets 9 favorites

All of you all worrying about Haslett need to follow the ES alumni. You need to follow these guys on twitter. I will post this again for those who might have missed it from earlier:

JsteelzHttr24-7‏@JsteelznSkins 19h19 hours ago

Say goodbye to Haz. Gruden won't fire him because of ties of past . Feels it would tough to do but bruce will fire Haz.Had 1 yr left on deal

0 replies 18 retweets 9 favorites

Right, but Gruden being sentimental like that is cause enough for concern, if he's actually serious.  Burgold put it well in the other thread:

Part of being the boss is doing things that suck. Benching stars, firing folks, facing the press after a loss, etc.

If you want to be a head coach you can't chose to not fire someone because of ties.  You have to be colder than that or at least make a strong case why you might be rewarded for loyalty.

Either:

A) the JSteelz tweet is wrong and Gruden actually thinks Haslett is fine, which is BAD

B ) the JSteelz tweet is true and Gruden is too sentimental to fire a DC who is quite possibly and obviously the worst DC of the past decade

C) Gruden got a script to say what he said from someone over his head, which means either Allen or Snyder is doing A or B, which is also bad.

Like, it's one thing to say "the FO is evaluating the staff and players.  Haslett and I are friends, but this is business," and another thing to actually put to words the notion that if the decision was yours, you'd bring him back.

Either:

A) the JSteelz tweet is wrong and Gruden actually thinks Haslett is fine, which is BAD

B ) the JSteelz tweet is true and Gruden is too sentimental to fire a DC who is quite possibly and obviously the worst DC of the past decade

C) Gruden got a script to say what he said from someone over his head, which means either Allen or Snyder is doing A or B, which is also bad.

Also bad that in house business is continuously leaked to the same person year after year after year. Nothing against Jsteelz. It is a problem though.

Oh, so Billick is next?

Well we know how predictable Dan's man troll cycle goes. 1st time offensive head coach is replaced by retread brand name retired head coach who is given full control over personnel. Cowher probably isn't interested, so it will be 8m a year to lure either Billick or Mooch.

I hope he's just lying, I never excused Jay of his mistakes this year but I believe he needed a chance at a 2nd season.

Now that I know he wants Haz back I'm seriously wondering is he that stupid or is he not calling the shots, maybe it was just coach speak.

This may surprise many but I believe there is a strong sentiment among coaches that he is working with a defensive roster no one would succeed with.  I understand the argument especially with what the cap penalty and injuries........that's not to say I support this.

If I'm Snyder or Allen you need to let a coach as a scapegoat that "fans we get it and we're doing something about it".

If JSteelz says he's gone, that's what I expect.  IF he tweets again and says he might stay then that's what I expect.  JZ tweets are "WORD". :)

Here's the thing, though, and this isn't a slight to J in the least...

But things change. Situations are dynamic. What was the plan one day can change the next.

Until it happens, I'll believe it when I see it.

Here's the thing, though, and this isn't a slight to J in the least...

But things change. Situations are dynamic. What was the plan one day can change the next.

Until it happens, I'll believe it when I see it.

Exactly KD, thus what I stated that you quoted and responded to:  " IF he tweets again and says he might stay then that's what I expect."

Archived