Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Gruden says he'll recommend Redskins retain Haslett

HapHaszard

A few hours ago, I saw John Keim on ESPN say something like, "Coach Gruden plans to evaluate film on the team for the next few days, and then meet with Allen and Snyder on Sunday to decide on any possible personnel changes."  First, this whole "We gotta look at the game film before I can say anything definitive" routine from Gruden is starting to sound eerily similar to Norval's oft-repeated "Well, the guys competed awfully hard out there, despite the final outcome" spiel.  Secondly, why in bloody hell should it take a full week for Gruden to meet with the brass and decide on changes to the coaching staff?  Thirdly, the Burgold quote from above (thanks DogofWar1) is dead-on accurate.  I've vacillated on Gruden over the course of this season -- at certain points feeling that he was getting it and deserved more time, and at other points feeling that he was hopeless and had to go.  If he really feels that Haslett deserves more time, either due to sentimentality or due to feeling that "Haz just needs more time to show how great he can be, goshdarnit," then Gruden truly is not suited to be an NFL head coach.

Was hoping Jay's earlier quote was just lip-service....the ol 'kiss of death /vote of (no) confidence.

Now it's clear Jay hasn't a clue. As though we really needed much more proof. At best he chose his words very poorly...at worst he really believes his own brand of crazy. I truly don't know which is worse at this point as both are consistencies throughout his short tenure.

Verdict is...the dragon must be slain.

Hopefully Bruce has two scenarios in mind.

Bruce:  "Jay, do you really believe we need to retain Jim?"

Jay:  "Yes, he did a good job this year"

Bruce:  "OK Jay, go ahead and pack your things your fired"

Bruce:  "Jay, do you really believe we need to retain Jim?"

Jay: "No he's awful, we need to move on"

Bruce: "Ok, I'll go ahead and fire him tomorrow"

Raheem Morris should be fired as well.  I'm sick and tired of people trying to pretend this guy should be promoted to DC or whatever.  He sucks.  Our secondary has sucked for YEARS.  The last time this secondary was good was when Shawn Springs and Carlos were our DB's.  

So Bruce "Empty Suit" Allen is going to take a break from the pancake social in order to fire Haslett? I'll believe it when I see it.

Someone has to plan out the Sadie Hawkins sock-hop. Until such time as Bruce can secure the DJ, other non-essential **** like the Defensive Coordinator has to wait. 

seems pretty obvious.  Jay and Jim are friends.  Jim probably said a lot of nice things to help get Jay hired.  Jay feels like he can't just immediately turn around and stab him in the back and fire him.  so the line will be that it was Bruce and Dan's decision.  this sucks, because it will just feed into the conventional wisdom of "meddling dan" going against the coach's wishes, when in reality, it's the coach that simply doesn't have the cajones to do what needs to be done here.

seems pretty obvious.  Jay and Jim are friends.  Jim probably said a lot of nice things to help get Jay hired.  Jay feels like he can't just immediately turn around and stab him in the back and fire him.  so the line will be that it was Bruce and Dan's decision.  this sucks, because it will just feed into the conventional wisdom of "meddling dan" going against the coach's wishes, when in reality, it's the coach that simply doesn't have the cajones to do what needs to be done here.

Well, I know this. If I'm an offensive coach, a head coach, and I have Haz as my defensive coordinator, I know that he's going to receive the lion's share of criticism when it comes to inept team cohesion. Therefore, keeping him around deflects a certain amount of criticism thrown my way. 

How's that for the 100th Riker multiverse? 

photo-143098.jpg?_r=1369322471

If it gives people relief, I'm pretty sure Haslett is fired. How can Jay already know we are going to have a two-man QB competition next year but need to watch film to decide on Haslett's fate? Sounds like coach speak to me.

I also find it hard to believe with all the talk swirling around about how Haz should be fired that Gruden would come out and say that the first half yesterday was the worst half of defensive football that he had ever seen (or something to that effect) if he was going to fight for Haz to come back. He just doesn't want to stick the knife in and hear Haz say: "Et tu Brutus?"

I posted this in the tweets thread, but seeing so many have a meltdown over what really seems insignificant, I thought I'd help out and post it here. Should, at the very least, put it in its proper context: 

Only problem is he was specifically asked if he'd recommend keeping him. He couldn't skirt around the issue like you guys are claiming he could. Here's how the flow of the questions went (bold emphasis mine): 

December 29, 2014
Redskins Park

Head Coach Jay Gruden

On Defensive Coordinator Jim Haslett and if he foresees any changes at the position:
“Well, I didn’t say there won’t be any changes. I don’t know what the changes are yet. I just said we’re going to take a couple days here, take a deep breath, and I’ll meet with Bruce tomorrow and I’ll meet with ownership –Dan – on Sunday and then we’ll decide and talk about the future of everybody in this organization, try to get some clarify moving forward. Every decision we make, it’s not going to be Dan’s, it’s not going to be Bruce’s, it’s not going to be my decision – it’s going to be our decision. It’s something we’re going to live with and something we’re going to do together. I’m going to be on board with whatever decision we decide to make.”

On his thoughts about Haslett:
“Well, I think I have a lot of respect for Jim Haslett. Coach Haslett had his hands tied a little bit this year. We had a lot of injuries, a lot of issues to our defense, the personnel that not many people have had to go through in this NFL season or in the history of this league, playing with as many different guys at as many different key positions throughout the season. I don’t know what the numbers were but I’m sure they’re up there with a record amount of players that had to start and play in this defense. Obviously, from a production standpoint, offense, defense, special teams, we all have to take a step back and look and evaluate everybody and nobody got the job done this year. You’re 4-12, so we had issues all across the board. I’m not going to talk about fictional things. I’m just going to take a step back here, wait for the meeting with Mr. Snyder and we’ll go from there.”

On if he would recommend keeping Haslett:
Would I recommend keeping him? I would recommend keeping him, yes.”

On if he has given thought to adding a quarterbacks coach:
“Yeah, there’s definitely been some thought to a lot of different things we’re going to do staff-wise. I am not going to stand up here and say everything is going to be exactly the same as next year. I’m not going to do it. There will be some changes; I just don’t know where they are yet, what they are going to be so I promise you there will be some changes. Maybe some additions, maybe some subtractions, but moving forward we will have some changes for the better and make this team better.”

On what “doing it the right way” entails:
“Bringing in people, bringing in the right people, number one. You know it starts with the right people, the right kind of people –guys that buy in, guys that like football, love football, want to be here, want to come to practice on time and practice their butts off and prepare the right way and coach the right way and love the game. We’ve got a lot of guys in the building that like that right now. We’ve just got to continue to add more.”

On if he has to do some “house cleaning” inside the organization:
No question. Sometimes the best addition to your football team is subtraction. That’s what we’ve got to figure out. Being with these guys for a long time, there are some things that you want to address. You want to make sure you have the right people in here. I’m not saying that all 53 guys are my type of guys, you know? There are some changes that are going to be made. I do have a lot of respect for everybody, the way the worked and prepared, but we do have to get better. We do have to make some changes. I promise you this – this will not be the same football team, football staff  right now that we’re going to have the start of next year. So we’re going to have a lot of changes that are done and made and hopefully for the better.”

I mean, it was a direct question and he couldn't have said anything in reply other than "yes" without admitting he didn't want Haslett himself. Saying anything else there would mean he was telling everyone he doesn't want Haslett. Just can't see him doing that. Heck, he didn't even say yes right away. He re-iterated the question, first, which is a commonly known method of proving someone is lying:

• Timing of responses to questions is often off when someone is lying:
 Stalling tactics are common, like asking to repeat a question, flattering or challenging the person who asks the uncomfortable question, diverting the conversation, etc. Some people may use humor to avoid the subject.  Some may go on the offense and become confrontational, going for the “I am the injured party” spiel.

Hate to go all psychological there, but that's how it honestly came across to me. That was a super awkward question to ask.   

Archived