Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Gruden says he'll recommend Redskins retain Haslett

HapHaszard

Did anyone really think Jay was going to be honest and say what he thought about Haslett's defense hurting JH's chance of getting another job and ruin a long time friendship?

Maybe.  But what makes you think its the reverse and Jay really doesn't like the job Haz did?  Yeah maybe he's bsing when he tells reporters Haz did an excellent job, or that he is a wiz with blitzes, has done a very good job, he wants him back, Haz had obstacles this year and did good considering and the litany of praise he's thrown at Haz.  

But I wonder with those who say he is just playing a game, he doesn't feel that way and is just setting up Haz for his next job -- based on what are you going on?  

Maybe. But what makes you think its the reverse and Jay really doesn't like the job Haz did? Yeah maybe he's bsing when he tells reporters Haz did an excellent job, or that he is a wiz with blitzes, has done a very good job, he wants him back, Haz had obstacles this year and did good considering and the litany of praise he's thrown at Haz.

But I wonder with those who say he is just playing a game, he doesn't feel that way and is just setting up Haz for his next job -- based on what are you going on?

I'm glad there are two others involved in the decision on Haslett's retention..I can hear already "Jay we are going in a different direction on defense ..Your buddy Jim has worn out his welcome ..this is a performance based business"

Yep, I think he's one of the most reliable, but the night before the draft he was willing to bet his life that we were taking Locker no matter what.

Didn't happen. That was probably the latest plan that he heard, but things change pretty rapidly.

I don't recall that (I remember a different insider claiming we had Gabbert at the top of our board) but he may have been right that Locker was our target. The Titans took him before we ever picked though so we'll never know.

Maybe.  But what makes you think its the reverse and Jay really doesn't like the job Haz did?  Yeah maybe he's bsing when he tells reporters Haz did an excellent job, or that he is a wiz with blitzes, has done a very good job, he wants him back, Haz had obstacles this year and did good considering and the litany of praise he's thrown at Haz.  

I read on another site about a month ago that there would be teams interested in hiring Haslett as a DC if we were to fire him including the Jets.

I'm at a tug of war here.  On one hand, I think Jay giving Haslett his recommendation is simply coach speak.  While Jay is known for being blunt, he's just blunt about players, not coaches.  Parcells was the same way.  I don't ever recall Parcells calling out his coaches like he did with players.  Jay is probably friends with Haslett. Of course he's going to publicly give Haslett his support.

On the other hand, I don't trust this organization at all.  This organization has disappointed me so many times, that I can see Haslett coming back.  It makes absolutely no sense bringing him back, which means this team probably will. 

Honestly, and I mean it, I think I might tap out if Haslett comes back.  I tapped out for a few years during the Norv reign.  I can do it again.  Bringing back Haslett would not just disappoint me.  I think it would actually depress me.  Screw that.  I'm not going to let this team start affecting my spirits.

Well said. For me, it's completely over-blowing the situation to keep focusing on what Gruden says about Haslett, especially after he's stated numerous times that it'll be a "Redskins decision". To think his honesty and bluntness about players should somehow be proportionate to his coaches is naive at best and, at worst, agenda-based. Furthermore, he's changed considerably on that front the last few weeks and has been very cautious with the media. Interestingly enough the players, when recently asked about what they liked the most about Gruden (I think it was yesterday, actually), the majority said it was his honesty and bluntness that was best. That he wasn't sneaky and told it like it was with them. 

Players who are accountable to themselves and their teammates will have no problem with how Gruden handles things. The only ones who would are the ones who want to hide from the truth.  

In the end, if Haslett is somehow retained, this organization only proves how much of a joke it is and Gruden only proves that he's, at the very least, totally fine with being a part of it. It'll be a disgusting display of the total willingness to put winning aside and do something that, instead, just feels good for them. Something we've seen ever since Snyder has bought the team in one way or another.  

I'm the same way, but I'm not going to lie, I have a few friends who are life long Redskin fans and some have been flirting with other teams. This is the first year where the thoughts of cheating on my team have entered my mind. If anyone bails, I honestly can't blame them at this point. This team is the Redskins by name only. It isn't the same Redskins many of us grew up with. Snyder has turned a beloved franchise into a clown show and he'll probably outlive most of us.

Why are you saying friends?...I'm thinking that's code word for your feelings .I think you are starting to lust after other teams. You see the Redskins as a clownish toy you have outgrown . It's embarrassing to wear your gear in public..I hope your marriage isn't suffering also.. I also sometimes daydream about being a fan of a contending NFL team .We are die hard redskins fans we have the entire offseason to heal our broken hearts and begin the 2015 campaign anew.

I read on another site about a month ago that there would be teams interested in hiring Haslett as a DC if we were to fire him including the Jets.

I don't believe there's another FO stupid enough to entertain that idea, but let's go ahead and begin the process and get rid of that piece of **** Haslett and see who comes knocking.

There's a reason Haslett wasn't in the NFL until Mike/Allen brought him here; because he doesn't have what it takes.

I'm so pissed right now knowing Haslett is still employed here. Actually, there are no words to describe my feelings towards Haslett; I don't want to get banned.

That was if I recall from a writer from MMQ speculating.  The Jets part (unless there is something new) was a year ago according to Chris Russell, the Jets wanted to interview Haz for one of the assistant D coaching jobs and our brilliant FO said no.  Am not doubting Jay would want his friend to get another job if he doesn't stay here.  

My question to those who are saying don't believe Jay's praise for Haz is it because:

A.  He really doesn't mean the praise, and wants him gone? 

B.  Wants him here but he knows that's not possible for a variety of reasons so why not pump up the dude, some.

If its B, yeah I can see that.  If its A -- its the only thing that keeps me in this debate, I don't even see a scintilla of evidence that deep down Jay doesn't want Haz so it just would have to be a wild guess that he feels that way, unless am missing something.

Players who are accountable to themselves and their teammates will have no problem with how Gruden handles things. The only ones who would are the ones who want to hide from the truth.  

Going on a sidebar off of this point.  You got multiple reports that for a guy who is all about accountability with his rhetoric -- he runs a very loose locker room and practices, too.  He's not a disciplinarian type.   Even his buddy, Jason Reid, has done an expose on Jay on this point saying its an issue and Jay himself likes to have a good time when the day is over -- though you got me what he meant by that.

Is a Marty type disciplinarian better than a coach who runs a more loose locker room?  You got me.   Though multiple reporters around the team have suggested its a problem compared to what they've seen previously.  John Keim just went over this that Shanny's locker room seemed to run smoother than this one.    

Edit:  sorry for the back to back posts.

I read an article that someone from the Jets said that was BS, that they didn't have interest.  I also read that the Jets were interested in him as a positions coach, not a DC.  Who knows?

Why are you saying friends?...I'm thinking that's code word for your feelings .I think you are starting to lust after other teams. You see the Redskins as a clownish toy you have outgrown . It's embarrassing to wear your gear in public..I hope your marriage isn't suffering also.. I also sometimes daydream about being a fan of a contending NFL team .We are die hard redskins fans we have the entire offseason to heal our broken hearts and begin the 2015 campaign anew.

Why am I saying friends?  Because I have friends who are flirting with it.   I would have no problem telling you or anyone that I've had enough if I've truly had enough.  I'm not there...yet, but I said in the original post that this is the first year where the thoughts of parting ways have entered my mind. I have friends who are further along than I am.  I'm not using "code words".  I'll tell you point blank how I feel if it comes to that.

All this dreck about what Jay was supposed to say is crap. He didn't have to publicly back Haslett unless he wanted to.

He doesn't have to answer questions from the press.

Now, if Jim goes, everyone will think it was against Jay's wishes, making him look weak.

How about going at it like this:

I'm not going to discuss any coaches future in the present. I will evaluate the situation and make decisions based on that.

"Would you recommend Haslett stay?"

Again, I'm not going to make any decisions right now, I'm still evaluating things and we'll draw our conclusions based on that.

"Did you think Haslett did a good job?"

I think under the circumstances he was given Haslett did his best.

"Will Jim Haslett be the DC next year?"

I will be evaluating things for the next few days then myself, Bruce, and Dan will come to some conclusions about how we want to move forward. As of this moment, no decisions have been made.

Is that so freaking hard?

The bottom line is, Jay likes Jim and wants him to stay. Unless the others push him out, I have every confidence that Haslett will be the DC next year.

They're the same freaking coach. Overwhelmed, poor play calling, lack of discipline, poor adjustments. They're the same freaking guy.

Of course Jay wants Jim back. The only other possibility is that he's hoping to get fired so he can leave this dumpster fire behind him.

All this dreck about what Jay was supposed to say is crap. He didn't have to publicly back Haslett unless he wanted to.

Now, if Jim goes, everyone will think it was against Jay's wishes, making him look weak.

I'm not going to discuss any coaches future in the present. I will evaluate the situation and make decisions based on that.

Again, I'm not going to make any decisions right now, I'm still evaluating things and we'll draw our conclusions based on that.

I will be evaluating things for the next few days then myself, Bruce, and Dan will come to some conclusions about how we want to move forward. As of this moment, no decisions have been made.

The bottom line is, Jay likes Jim and wants him to stay. Unless the others push him out, I have every confidence that Haslett will be the DC next year.

They're the same freaking coach. Overwhelmed, poor play calling, lack of discipline, poor adjustments. They're the same freaking guy.

Of course Jay wants Jim back. The only other possibility is that he's hoping to get fired so he can leave this dumpster fire behind him.

This is pretty much what Joe Philbin just did the other day about his D coordinator.  I can even run with well Jay is just responding to questions asked drill.  But to me I am a bit of a radio junkie, I listen to Jay a lot including his Friday interviews on 980 and in them he's meandered in conversation without a question directly taking him there to pumping up Haz.  To me that's the kicker.  If the dude just goes there on his own, that to me is the be all and end all. 

Why am I saying friends?  Because I have friends who are flirting with it.   I would have no problem telling you or anyone that I've had enough if I've truly had enough.  I'm not there...yet, but I said in the original post that this is the first year where the thoughts of parting ways have entered my mind. I have friends who are further along than I am.  I'm not using "code words".  I'll tell you point blank how I feel if it comes to that.

It's okay buddy....I'm sure your going to follow your friends

it is just a matter of time...when a man flirts the notion of changing teams.Once he gets over the denial it will be complete

.....Gruden keeping His Buddy Haslett..may snap us all out of our denial to stay loyal fans

Going on a sidebar off of this point. You got multiple reports that for a guy who is all about accountability with his rhetoric -- he runs a very loose locker room and practices, too. He's not a disciplinarian type. Even his buddy, Jason Reid, has done an expose on Jay on this point saying its an issue and Jay himself likes to have a good time when the day is over -- though you got me what he meant by that.

Is a Marty type disciplinarian better than a coach who runs a more loose locker room? You got me. Though multiple reporters around the team have suggested its a problem compared to what they've seen previously. John Keim just went over this that Shanny's locker room seemed to run smoother than this one.

Edit: sorry for the back to back posts.

Yeah, well, when we first hired him this was essentially what we knew we were getting. If you recall during the offseason, all the players were talking about how Jay allows it to be their team and he gives them the freedom to run it as they see fit. Even Robert was saying that he's got the freedom to audible and run the show as he sees fit. There was plenty of subtle jabs at Mike and his "micro-managing".

I think that's why Gruden really places a lot on their shoulders if they fail. He's essentially saying we'll coach you guys and tell you the best way to do things, but then it's all up to you. You choose what you want to do more of and you choose what you want to be. It's probably a huge part of the reason why he's then willing to openly criticize them. I don't know what's best, but I do know that this method requires top notch personnel. You can't do this unless you know these guys are 100% capable of handling things.

That was, at least, the talk all offseason on the matter. I remember me and voice of reason having some extensive discussions about it. I'm interested in finding those posts on it, might do it later.

He actually answered those questions exactly how you wanted him to, only with the first one did he say something other than you'd like. He's made it plenty clear changes are going to be made and that he doesn't know what's going to happen with Haz. Only when directly asked about whether or not he, himself, would recommend Haz he said "yes" instead of giving a wish washy answer. It was an awkward question and the fact is they have an extensive past relationship, so to think this is at all something to read into other than one coach vouching for his friend in public is what is ridiculous.

You can feel like Jay really wants Haz to stay. I am convinced he knows that we can do a lot better at D coordinator and think taking what he says publicly at face value is useless. He's just not going to publicly say anything about it that would in anyway condemn Haz and the fact that they've been friends and have completely intertwined coaching careers makes it extremely difficult to do anything but publicly praise him, no matter how he feels inside.

If Haslett is gone and Jay is "totally okay with it", those actions speak louder than any words Jay uses on the matter, period. Jay has never seemed like someone willing to be forced into anything. To claim otherwise is allowing media speculation to control your narrative.

If Haslett stays then it proves that not only Jay wants him, but this moronic FO as well.

He actually answered those questions exactly how you wanted him to, only with the first one did he say something other than you'd like. He's made it plenty clear changes are going to be made and that he doesn't know what's going to happen with Haz. Only when directly asked about whether or not he, himself, would recommend Haz he said "yes" instead of giving a wish washy answer. It was an awkward question and the fact is they have an extensive past relationship, so to think this is at all something to read into other than one coach vouching for his friend in public is what is ridiculous.

You can feel like Jay really wants Haz to stay. I am convinced he knows that we can do a lot better at D coordinator and think taking what he says publicly at face value is useless. He's just not going to publicly say anything about it that would in anyway condemn Haz and the fact that they've been friends and have completely intertwined coaching careers makes it extremely difficult to do anything but publicly praise him, no matter how he feels inside.

If Haslett is gone and Jay is "totally okay with it", those actions speak louder than any words Jay uses on the matter, period. Jay has never seemed like someone willing to be forced into anything. To claim otherwise is allowing media speculation to control your narrative.

If Haslett stays then it proves that not only Jay wants him, but this moronic FO as well.

Sorry, but he was flat out asked if he would recommend keeping Haslett. He could easily have said any number of things that did not confirm. He confirmed. He said he would keep Haslett. He didn't have to do that, but he did. He's either trying to get fired, or worse, he actually believes Haslett is a good coach. His inability to control the message is disturbing.

Yeah, well, when we first hired him this was essentially what we knew we were getting. If you recall during the offseason, all the players were talking about how Jay allows it to be their team and he gives them the freedom to run it as they see fit. Even Robert was saying that he's got the freedom to audible and run the show as he sees fit. There was plenty of subtle jabs at Mike and his "micro-managing".

I think that's why Gruden really places a lot on their shoulders if they fail. He's essentially saying we'll coach you guys and tell you the best way to do things, but then it's all up to you. You choose what you want to do more of and you choose what you want to be. It's probably a huge part of the reason why he's then willing to openly criticize them. I don't know what's best, but I do know that this method requires top notch personnel. You can't do this unless you know these guys are 100% capable of handling things.

That was, at least, the talk all offseason on the matter. I remember me and voice of reason having some extensive discussions about it. I'm interested in finding those posts on it, might do it later.

The press conference tomorrow from Bruce Allen should be interesting.  The only difference I detect from me and you is we are both angry at Bruce but you don't tie Jay into the anger.  I do tie him in.  Jay to me is Bruce's boy.   Funny Russell was talking today about how the FO was ultimately surprised that Jay's personality was what it was and how they didn't expect the showdown with RG3 -- then Russell goes if you know Jay well, you'd see it coming -- but he said the FO doesn't do their homework in that way.  Russell could be wrong but it was interesting to hear.  

Bruce said on the record that he wanted Jay before the interview was even over. Some suggest that he wanted Jay before the interview even took place.  Like Jay or not like Jay, I buy into Bruce, etc not doing his homework.    The important thing is to get the guy who is part of the Tampa mafia -- a team player, some one who won't rock the boat with Bruce.

If tomorrow Bruce gives these boiler plate political spin glib answers about the season and the best is yet to come rhetoric. My anger will increase. I am not married to any player or coach on this team.  If they did the right thing and hired an Eric Decosta type, I'd just let him do his thing and wherever the cards fell they fell.  But that seems to be too much to ask.  I'd be ok if its AJ Smith, not in love with it but its better than the current alternative.

This to me below is the #1 sad part about the team

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/12/30/going-on-two-decades-of-snyder-owning-redskins-and-really-nothings-changed/

Asked why Snyder doesn’t inquire about hiring a personnel man who’s an up-and-comer elsewhere in the league — like, for instance, Ravens assistant general manager Eric DeCosta, who is second in Baltimore’s front office only to Ozzie Newsome — and offer him a promotion to Redskins general manager, La Canfora offered the bleak notion that in that instance, Snyder’s reputation would precede him.

“Eric wouldn’t do that at this point,” he said. “He fully understands and prizes function, and would want nothing to do with dysfunction. But here’s the real irony for the Redskins: he was in their building. They had a young Eric DeCosta. He was in their building.”

“They had John Schneider in their building, before anyone knew he was John Schneider,” La Canfora spoke of the current Seahawks general manager, who served as the Redskins vice president of player personnel in 2001, the one-and-done year of then-Redskins coach Marty Schottenheimer. Oh, history repeats itself, you say?

“They had a guy, Morocco Brown, who will be a GM in this league probably in the next couple of years, who, it looked like, maybe they were developingicon1.png for that role,” La Canfora further noted of the Redskins’ former director of pro personnel, who departed for Cleveland last offseasonfor a promotion to vice president of player personnel. “At that time, Bruce worked for [Mike] Shanahan, and Shanahan made all the decisions. And now, Bruce makes all the decisions, and so Morocco got out of there.”

“It’s not even a matter of moneyicon1.png,” La Canfora elaborated. “They’ve actually had really talented people in their building at various times. It’s a lack of self-awareness to even fit beyond the way you’ve always been structured and say, ‘Maybe that it is the way to do it.’ It’s sort of not even in their DNA. And so when those people leave and they see what it’s like in a real organization, they ain’t going back. They understand, more than anybody else, just how important it is to have a sound foundation and a way of doing things, and a way of thinking, and a process of checks and balances that work.”

“Eric DeCosta is making a hell of a lot of money in Baltimore, and he actually doesn’t have to take the bullets,” he tacked on for good measure. “I mean, there are people in the league who feel like Eric’s got the best jobicon1.png in the NFL, because he has some say, he’s built a name for himself, he’s making very good money — the owner spent money to keep him from going other places — and at the end of the day, it’s [John] Harbaugh and Ozzie who are catching the bullets, and not Eric.

Archived