Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Gruden says he'll recommend Redskins retain Haslett

HapHaszard

I also find it hard to believe with all the talk swirling around about how Haz should be fired that Gruden would come out and say that the first half yesterday was the worst half of defensive football that he had ever seen (or something to that effect) if he was going to fight for Haz to come back. He just doesn't want to stick the knife in and hear Haz say: "Et tu Brutus?"

Sorry quoted the wrong poster

Does it matter really? We're not a DC away from being contenders.

Yes it does matter  because it would show we are trying to get better by getting rid of a big problem and that we are bringing in someone to help our young guys like Trent Murphy,Keenan Robinson,Phillip Thomas and David Amerson get better.

It's one day after the season. Take a deep breath everyone. Let's see how it plays out with Hazlett. But IMO the head coach should have 100% control over his staff. If Jay wants to bring him back and gets his wish then he will be held accountable for that decision.

For the love of god or anything decent, I hope this was nothing more than lip service from Jay.

There are a couple of angles to look at this from though;

1. The idea that Haslett is still employed worries me; it could be a telltale sign of the severity of how the FO friendship overrides common sense.

2. Possible that Jay doesn't want to slam Haslett in the public's eye and is taking a classy approach to it, this way he doesn't look like he turned his back on his buddy.

3. It could be possible they may have someone in mind and are waiting until that person becomes available; but it doesn't make sense.

4. It could be the old stall tactic; wait and wait, until all other DCs are hired by other teams, then come out and say there's no one worthwhile to go after, which is the worst case scenario and definitely proves Allen and Jay are standing behind Haslett.

Regardless, classy or not, Haslett's release should have been done immediately; for his production over the years, there's nothing to justify him still holding on to that position beyond Monday.

If Gruden comes out and flat out says he's behind and defends Haslett, then he's sealed his own fate with the fans, and this will create a huge divide between fans and the operations in the FO.

bottom line with me, if Haslett is kept, ebay will be having a visit from me and my Redskins gear. I'll always love this team and its history, but to support it in any way will be a task that I just cannot stomach anymore. Yes it has gotten that bad for me, and will exemplify the pure disdain I have for Haslett, and the front office personnel, along with the owner. It has gone from ridiculous to a flat out personal insult for me to see how the organization chums up to each other while turning their backs on the fans like myself who have poured their hard earned money into a team who could care less about their fans.

It's one day after the season. Take a deep breath everyone. Let's see how it plays out with Hazlett. But IMO the head coach should have 100% control over his staff. If Jay wants to bring him back and gets his wish then he will be held accountable for that decision.

Sure, Coaches should have final say over who is hired to work for them. So if Jay doesn't want to work with Rex Ryan or Wade Phillips, then I can understand that. But just like any company, if the boss's boss (in this case Allen or Snyder) sees an employee not performing, then that superior boss has the right to fire the employee, no matter how much his direct supervisor vouches for him and blames "intangibles".

But I have a serious problem with Gruden and Haslett working together for the basic reason that either he is afraid of him or he is too loyal to him. Gruden went after just about every player on the team but refused to go after Haslett, except for once early in the season when he came back later and corrected himself. Now London Fletcher is on national TV talking about how bad a DC Haslett is. How true is this stuff? How much is on the players? How much is on the scheme? How much is on the development? I don't know, but somebody's gotta take the fall and Haslett's gotten enough "well, maybe"s.

Q: Would you recommend bringing Haslett back?

Gruden: Would I recommend bringing him back? Yes, I would recommend bringing him back.

Q: Would you recommend bringing in someone like Wade Phillips?

Gruden: Would I recommend having someone like Wade Phillips as defensive coordinator? Yes, I would recommend that if asked.

Q: Would you recommend hiring Rex Ryan as DC now that he's available?

Gruden: Would I recommend Ryan as DC? Yes, I would recommend Rex Ryan as DC.

Q: Would you recommend hiring any of these guys over Haslett?

Gruden: I'm not going to get into hypotheticals.

Q: Who would you NOT recommend as defensive coordinator?

Gruden: ......um, nobody. All these guys are quality guys and good coaches.

Q: Would you recommend bringing Haslett back?

Gruden: Would I recommend bringing him back? Yes, I would recommend bringing him back.

Q: Would you recommend bringing in someone like Wade Phillips?

Gruden: Would I recommend having someone like Wade Phillips as defensive coordinator? Yes, I would recommend that if asked.

Q: Would you recommend hiring Rex Ryan as DC now that he's available?

Gruden: Would I recommend Ryan as DC? Yes, I would recommend Rex Ryan as DC.

Q: Would you recommend hiring any of these guys over Haslett?

Gruden: I'm not going to get into hypotheticals.

Q: Who would you NOT recommend as defensive coordinator?

Gruden: ......um, nobody. All these guys are quality guys and good coaches.

Gruden knows he's painted into a corner,  and i'd doubt he would criticize Haslett in any way, or any other coach for that matter; he's still wet behind the ears, but that damned ethics thing keeps rearing its ugly head.  Politics suck.

Jay and Jim are friends.  Jim probably said a lot of nice things to help get Jay hired.  Jay feels like he can't just immediately turn around and stab him in the back and fire him.

If I was Gruden, I'm not so sure that I would be thankful to Haz for getting me hired into this **** show.

I mean some things a coach just isn't going to say in a press conference....  What did we think he would say?

"Yeah our defense was pretty rough this year... I think it's time to make changes and that starts from the top down with Haslett. Haslett has been a disgrace to this franchise from day 1, ask me, ask Danny, ask MIke (Shanny), ask London Fletcher for crying out loud...  Haslett needs a one-way ticket out of town and I will be the first to add to the pot that buys that ticket."

No....  he's going to give the media a response they can't create stories from and let that big decision be made behind closed doors.

The only reasons to stand behind Haslett are if you

A. Know his fate is inevitable and you can safely back him while ushering him out the door,

B. Want to get fired and figure backing him will help usher you both out the door,

C. Actually support him and think he is really a good coordinator.

If I were Snyder I wouldn't fire any of the coaches. I would fire Allen and start a GM search. Then he is free to let the new GM fire the entire coaching staff without looking impatient. Allen had his full five years but it's time for a new direction, etc etc.

The statement is troubling on several levels, if true.  Gruden could evaluate three quarterbacks during the season after a few games and make public statements that indicate RGIII may not be with the team next year, but Haslett should stay. 

He thinks RGIII should be further along after 2.5 yrs playing time in the NFL (one of which was outstanding), but Haz should be retained after 5 bad years (and many years in the NFL). 

At least publicly, there appears to be a double standard.  His public statements seem contradictory and I would question the integrity of such a person and/or organization, if true.

At least publicly, there appears to be a double standard.  His public statements seem contradictory and I would question the integrity of such a person and/or organization, if true.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He publicly criticized RGIII when no one else (even Robert) wouldn't?  Someone had to do it.  He's not going to throw Haslett under the bus publicly because he knows Haslett is a goner and doesn't want to spit on the tarnished reputation of Haslett going forward with his coaching career is my best guess.

Coaches are a fraternity. My bet is Gruden is simply leaving the bridge unburned. He's letting his buddy know "I went to bat for ya,,  it was out of my hands." Plausible deniability.

He doesn't strike me as stupid. 

~Bang

I guess.

But can a first year coach really go to bat for his coordinator in public and then have the GM fire said coordinator a week later? Won't that look like Allen is cutting off Gruden's nuts?

This is really interesting to me. Because Coachspeak 101 is you say, "We will evaluate the job everyone did - including me - and come to decisions best for the team." You don't back a coach publicly if there's a chance he's getting whacked.

Archived