Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I've never been so sad after a blowout...

Renegade7

Are you uncomfortable giving RGIII Franchise QB money when his rookie contract is up???  

233 members have voted

1. 1. Are you uncomfortable giving RGIII Franchise QB money when his rookie contract is up (based on his injury history)???

My stomach dropped to my balls when I saw him on the ground. 

DUDE! IMAGE! Some of us have to sleep tonight!

And yeah, the frailty in 10's body for this brutal sport is now a serious concern. As freak as today's injury was, it's his second MAJOR one in 2 seasons and 2 games into a third. You'd have to tread VERY cautiously going forward with him as regards a new contract sadly.

Top notch talent but that means little if he can't stay healthy.

Hail.

I feel like the RGIII era is over

He is a great human being by all accounts and a warrior on the football field and a great representative of this franchise. But I think we all knew this was coming. He is all elbows knees and ankles every time he runs, legs flailing around out of control. I actually think its amazing he hasn't been injured yet

It's something many have been saying on this board for quite some time (and labeled haters). He just doesn't have the constitution to play in this league.

I hope he can come back and I hope that he can find a way to get meaningful reps during rehab. He will essentially be a second year player next year and he is running out of time this franchise cannot wait on his development

Very well put. That's exactly how I feel. I feel sorry for the guy because he seems to be a great person and very hard worker. I just don't think his world class athleticism translates to the NFL. If his career doesn't do a 180, I wonder if he will regret not pursuing the Olympics or something else.

In the end, as a Redskin fan above all else, I would not want the organization to double down on a gamble they lost. The trade was crippling enough but holding out hope and shelling out more money doesn't seem like a wise decision. This is going to be extremely interesting over the next several months (unless Cousins struggles). For now, I'll just root like Hell for whoever suits up!

I think it's still too early to tell. Considering the amount we gave up for him and his potential still, I don't see him going anywhere. My thinking is if Cousins plays well, Griffin has to beat him out when he gets healthy. You don't just hand it back to him.

I also don't think you cut or trade him. If the above scenario plays out, you keep him as 2nd string behind Cousins and continue developing him. Again there is a lot of potential there that we paid a great deal for. No sense in trading it away for next to nothing or even worse flat out cutting him. Like some of you said it was a gamble. I'm still holding on to my cards, because the river has yet to come.

When it comes time for him to be a FA no one will be willing to offer him a big contract if he can't beat out Cousins and stay healthy. Given he might want to compete for a starter spot somewhere else for less. But I have a feeling 2 things will happen in the end. 1) Cousins will play decent but I don't think he is our long term answer. 2) Griffin will come back next year and light it up and stay (mostly) healthy all year and lead us to a superbowl. Then we will end up giving him a monster contract.

I don't want to think about what comes after, because it seems like every time something good happens, a lot of bad follows it.

We've sucked for twenty years. I don't understand how we're all of a sudden in a rush to be good? RGIII will be 25 next year and have plenty of time to develop into a great QB. Should we go ahead and cut Jordan Reed as well?

It's excuse after excuse for RG3.  I mean, I really like RG3's heart and passion, but at some point you have to stop putting your faith in the first pig who built his house out of straw.  I don't blame RG3.  I really don't and I wish he was more stable because I think he COULD be a good QB in this league.  But he is just so fragile--flailing around all the time and trying to go toe-to-toe against 280 lb defensive linemen.  Hell, it doesn't even take a d-lineman to knock him out anymore.  I would love to eat crow on this, but I think it's time to move away from RG3.  The sooner we do it the sooner we can move forward.  

Let's see more from Cousins before starting the talk of getting rid of RG3.

100%

However, at this point in time Cousins is a much safer pick looking forward. Griffin has sustained a concussion, torn ligaments in his knee, and now dislocated an ankle over the span of 30 NFL games. Letting the wrong guy walk here would be the worst-case scenario.

He missed one game due to injury before this. ONE GAME!

Yeah, that's because his season-ending injury just happened to come in his team's last game of the season.  In fact, that injury should have led to him missing part of the 2013 season, but the Shanahans chose to play him even though he wasn't NFL ready.

Here is the full RG3 injury list:

2009: season-ending injury

2011: knocked out of game

2012: knocked out of game, missed next game

2012: season-ending injury

2014: serious injury, could be anything from four weeks to the entire season

If you look at my past post history over the ooff season I was very vocal around here arguing that we needed to keep KC. Today proved me right all along but that is not the purpose of my post. I also am sad today for what happened to Griffin. It was never about or the other to me, it was always just a plan B. Now we find ourselves at plan B and today was exciting. If KC wins next week and we beat the Eagles and the defense rushes the passer as well as they are capable of then the future is bright while one star may have been dimmed today and that is sad its always about the team to me

Robert is a great guy, but I just don't know anymore if it is intended for him in the NFL.  The guy just seems to be snake bit with injuries. Moving forward, a lot is going to depend on how Kirk does with his opportunity.  If he plays really well this year...he just might be the guy we have to roll with for the long-term.  

Robert is a great guy, but I just don't know anymore if it is intended for him in the NFL.  The guy just seems to be snake bit with injuries. Moving forward, a lot is going to depend on how Kirk does with his opportunity.  If he plays really well this year...he just might be the guy we have to roll with for the long-term.

If Kirk plays great and the franchise determines he's the guy, I think all of us will be okay with that. Even still, I think RGIII ends up having a tremendous career. He's a driven guy and he will make it. I wish the best for both of them as they're both wonderful kids. They're both guys a fanbase can get behind and cheer for.

So lets look at some facts here:

Do-not-think-it-means.jpeg

Let me correct your post since you seemingly don't know what "fact" means.

FactOPINION one: He has lost a step, there is no way anyone can tell me RGIII is as fast as he was in 2012. On the play he got hurt once again he was not able to turn the corner.

Griffin looked like his 2012 self today running, save for actually being more intelligent on how to get down. Numerous reports from the media and fellow players in training camp was that he looked back up to speed of his 2012 self. On the play he got injured he wasn't attempting to get the corner but rather attempting to delay to throw...and managed to get enough separation to do just that DESPITE dislocating his ankle.

FactOPINION two: that left leg of his is Swiss cheese. Two major knee operations and now probably an operation on his ankle. Not good people.

Griffin's ACL injuries have been on his RIGHT knee, not his left knee. This is a wonderful example of how you're not actually putting forth any kind of honest argument but are simply an agenda driven hack that is manufacturing any amount of dishonest information to push your point.

No only is your statement not a "fact", it's actually an outright falsehood.

Fact three: I hope not but most likely will not see the field again until March. That puts him behind once again.

First, I think your "hope" here is utter BS given your posts on the matter.

However, this is the first of these you've actually put that does contain an actual fact. Yes, him missing a season will put him behind. How big of an impact that has however is a question mark.

FactOPINION four: He is not a pocket QB, he needs to learn how to be one.

Some believe he "needs" to learn how to be one. A non-traditional pocket passer just won the Super Bowl last year. A non-traditional pocket passer has reached the Super Bowl two years ago and has had his team close to it multiple years. This notion is becoming a bit more of a question mark in the current era of the NFL.

None the less, there's plenty of evidence to suggest it's a reasonable opinion that Griffin can develop into such a QB at a high level if given time IF one is of the opinion he "needs" to do that.

Fact five: The team will need to make the decision whether to pickup the option. How are we going to do that if KC plays well? Next year we will either need to sign KC or lose him at the end of the season. Can one person in here tell me honestly if KC leads us to the playoffs this year are comfortable of us trading him in the off season because we have RGIII?

There's a LOT of "ifs" in this and it's near impossible to say now. If Cousin turns in a Kurt Warner / Tom Brady type performance this year then you probably don't extend Griffin and he has to win the job back. If Cousins look very good then you likely don't extend Griffin and you go open comp. If Cousins looks good, but nothing that blows you away, then it becomes a much bigger question. If Cousin ends up kind of average over all during the season then I'd say you extend Griffin.

But right now we're two games into the season and one game into Kirk Cousins starting with us. There's a LOT of time between and the beginning of the next league year,let alone the end of that year.

This will be a very touchy subject towards the end of the year.

It would be nice to have both of them, but not at the cost of separating a team.

Depending on when Griffin is once again healthy, and I mean HEALTHY, without the media playing interviews, etc. One thing that didn't set well with me is how all of that transpired at the beginning of last season, with Mike possibly wanting to hold Griffin out for part of the regular season and Griffin in front of the mic telling everyone he's all in at week 1.

But now, depending on how Cousins does, it remains unknown. One thing though, if Griffin is out for most, if not all of the season, and if there are any talks of contracts, pardon the pun but Griffin doesn't have much of a leg to stand on.

He has been injury-prone since coming here, and it does merit debating on whether he should be getting a big contract; he just hasn't proven it. Neither has Cousins. But if Cousins plays well, especially if we make playoffs, Griffin and a big money deal doesn't seem reasonable.

It's excuse after excuse for RG3. I mean, I really like RG3's heart and passion, but at some point you have to stop putting your faith in the first pig who built his house out of straw. I don't blame RG3. I really don't and I wish he was more stable because I think he COULD be a good QB in this league. But he is just so fragile--flailing around all the time and trying to go toe-to-toe against 280 lb defensive linemen. Hell, it doesn't even take a d-lineman to knock him out anymore. I would love to eat crow on this, but I think it's time to move away from RG3. The sooner we do it the sooner we can move forward.

Move forward to what? Cousins? Draft another QB?

But I was just quiet the entire game watching a blowout that was about to be and should of been Griffin's. That now all we'll hear about is how much better a pocket passer Cousins is then Griffin when RGIII was basically going off until he threw that 1st down pass on a dislocated ankle.

I know I'm going to catch hell for throwing gasoline on the fire, but as much as I love Robert Griffin, I love the Redskins even more. I'm scared, man, guts don't lie

Felt the exact same way. My wife kept asking me why I wasn't excited. Weirdest feeling to watch us dominate but feel down at the same time. It almost brought back the way I felt with RG laying on the field during that Seattle game.

With that being said I will be all in with KC and this team.

I am a Redskin above all else.

HTTR

Felt the exact same way. My wife kept asking me why I wasn't excited. Weirdest feeling to watch us dominate but feel down at the same time. It almost brought back the way I felt with RG laying on the field during that Seattle game.

With that being said I will be all in with KC and this team.

I am a Redskin above all else.

HTTR

x3 - why couldn't we just be given one victory to actually enjoy :/ - such is life - will be hoping for the best tomorrow and cheering on whomever ends up at QB the rest of the way

This was a terrible day for the franchise. Everything I've read about "dislocated ankles" lead me to believe that Griffin won't see the field this season.

We're going to have to play our backup QB, behind a somewhat suspect O-line, with several key offensive weapons (Jackson, Reed, Helu, Young) who may not be playing, or are less than 100%. Our new starting QB has not had very many reps, and is going to need time to build chemistry and timing with the starting offense.

The point I'm making is Cousins will probably need a few games to settle into the starting role, because he really hasn't started that many games -- especially with Gruden's system. I hope the fans aren't going to expect a repeat of his Jacksonville performance against Philly -- the Eagles are going to be a much more difficult challenge.

I'm being pragmatic here -- Cousins has effectively been playing in 5 1/2 games over three seasons -- and only had starter reps in one preseason under Shanahan. With that number of reps and starts, most QBs would still be considered to be " learning their NFL craft under game time conditions.

Maybe Cousins will surprise us, and play really well. But with Jackson and Reed out, a gimpy Luvalauo and Polumbus on the O-line, and Helu and Young day-to-day -- his supporting cast may not be in tiptop shape for a few weeks. So I think we'll need 4+ weeks to see how well Cousins performs as the starter for Gruden's Redskin team.

Hopefully we can be patient to see what kind of QB we've got, while Griffin recovers.

The point I'm making is Cousins will probably need a few games to settle into the starting role, because he really hasn't started that many games -- especially with Gruden's system. I hope the fans aren't going to expect a repeat of his Jacksonville performance against Philly -- the Eagles are going to be a much more difficult challenge.

Griffin had what?  Oh, 2 starts under Gruden's system?

Cousins doesn't need to "settle into the starting role".  He is a third year quarterback, he either is an NFL caliber QB or he isn't.

Exactly.

Cut your losses and move on. I'll never fault the team for making the move and trying to hit the lotto. Just didn't work out.

Guess luck was not on your side.

I wouldn't say just move on and cut your loses. I would say you keep him and see how next year goes first. Also you still need to make sure how Cousins fairs out for this year as well. Guess I am being optimistic here - would be nice if somehow he comes back after the bye to lead the Skins to playoffs and the SB while wearing a boot. :)

I get that some people are saying we should stick with Cousins of he plays well and have a competition next year. But to say we should give up on Griffin if Kirk fails is pretty ridiculous.

Does everyone forget how hard it is to find a QB? Here's a guy with arm strength, accuracy, and great work ethic. Even if he's less mobile we should stick with him if Kirk doesn't work out.

Guess luck was not on your side.

I wouldn't say just move on and cut your loses. I would say you keep him and see how next year goes first. Also you still need to make sure how Cousins fairs out for this year as well. Guess I am being optimistic here - would be nice if somehow he comes back after the bye to lead the Skins to playoffs and the SB while wearing a boot. :)

I picked a poor word in "cut" I didn't mean it in terms of actually cutting him from the team. I meant more in terms of Kirk being the guy and RG3 having to win the job back or be released at the end of his contract

All depending on Kirk not reverting to Rex form

Griffin had all the reps and starts in 2012, (except one game). He had all the regular season reps and starts until he was shut down in 2013. He had all the starting reps until he went down in 2014.

The use of the term third year quarterback usually means he was either starting for three years, or became the starter in the third year, and got all the starter reps. But I get your point, we throw new QBs into the front lines sooner now.

Personally, I think Cousins has shown a degree of comfort with the game at the NFL level and that he will pick things up quickly -- but as the backup, he hasn't enjoyed as much "training" reps as the starter does.

This isn't about Cousins degree of success -- it's about the hit to the Skins offense that happened today and how the injuries- including the forced transition at QB -- may have an impact on the team's success in the short run.

Archived