Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I've never been so sad after a blowout...

Renegade7

Are you uncomfortable giving RGIII Franchise QB money when his rookie contract is up???  

233 members have voted

1. 1. Are you uncomfortable giving RGIII Franchise QB money when his rookie contract is up (based on his injury history)???

What his quote omits is the part where Gruden mentions that RG3 can obviously do some things Kirk can't, but that there's no feeling sorry for yourself in pro football.  Then he said we can win any game with Kirk, which I suppose to some translates to "there are games we can't win with RG3."  Like you said, what else would you expect Gruden to say?

Exactly. What did you expect Gruden to say? So if Cousins plays bad the next few weeks are they same fools going to call for Colt McCoy? I mean sounds like they're content to never see RG3 take another snap for this team. He's proven nothing!!

Where in that quote does he say he's a better fit? And what did you expect him to say? "Oh jeez, Kirk Cousins is gonna start for us now and we're gonna have to redo this whole playbook, we're screwed you guys."

"There's really not much I can throw at him that he can't do."

It is not a direct "better fit" statement, when he states he is "very much suited for what we do" is an absolute statement about the fit in his offense.  He has never made that statement about RGIII, it was always about RG "getting there", "still working on it".  You could even see the entire change of playcalling once KC entered the game.  This is not a statement AGAINST RGIII, it was obvious to everyone, RGIII was not where he needed to be in this offense and the offense had to be adjusted for him (look at yesterday and the Read Option calls). 

It is not a direct "better fit" statement, when he states he is "very much suited for what we do" is an absolute statement about the fit in his offense.  He has never made that statement about RGIII, it was always about RG "getting there", "still working on it".  You could even see the entire change of playcalling once KC entered the game.  This is not a statement AGAINST RGIII, it was obvious to everyone, RGIII was not where he needed to be in this offense and the offense had to be adjusted for him (look at yesterday and the Read Option calls). 

Wasn't everyone on here last week calling for more deep passes and to see RG3 run the read option? Didn't he do that on 2 of the first 3 plays yesterday? God forbid our play calling plays to the strengths of our QB. And how can you say the play calling changed when RG3 ran 2 series on offense, not even 2 series.

Exactly. What did you expect Gruden to say? So if Cousins plays bad the next few weeks are they same fools going to call for Colt McCoy? I mean sounds like they're content to never see RG3 take another snap for this team. He's proven nothing!!

I don't think you caught that I'm agreeing with you.  My point is that the person who quoted Gruden omitted the first part of it, where he acknowledged that Griffin can do things Kirk can't, which pretty much negated his whole point.  Again, like you said first, what should anyone expect Gruden to say?

My bad, misread your response...  We are on the same page.

Wasn't everyone on here last week calling for more deep passes and to see RG3 run the read option? Didn't he do that on 2 of the first 3 plays yesterday? God forbid our play calling plays to the strengths of our QB. And how can you say the play calling changed when RG3 ran 2 series on offense, not even 2 series.

It is funny you mention that, I was not on the "Run the Read Option" bandwagon and thought it would be a mistake to do so.  Matter of fact, I said if we ever went back to him running, he would not last 4 games, well, I was off by 3 games.  I thought it was best to keep him in the pocket, let him learn and improve on that.  I was willing to sit through a 7-9 / 8-8 season to see him improve upon being a pocket QB.  I am not saying KC is the answer, however, he can run this offense without ANY limitations to playcallinig.  Not because he was better long term, but because he is better now to run this offense.  KC doesn't have to be retaught to play the position like RGIII was having to do.

I still don't understand why people think that just because we spent too much to get to draft RG3 that we're automatically locked into him until he retires.  Bad drafts happen.  Busts happen.  It's a part of football.  I completely understand that RG3 had a great rookie season but that was then, this is now.   RG3 hasn't proven to us anything this year except that he continues to be a liability to this team with injuries.

You know, call me crazy but you actually have to be ON THE FIELD to play.

It is funny you mention that, I was not on the "Run the Read Option" bandwagon and thought it would be a mistake to do so.  Matter of fact, I said if we ever went back to him running, he would not last 4 games, well, I was off by 3 games.  I thought it was best to keep him in the pocket, let him learn and improve on that.  I was willing to sit through a 7-9 / 8-8 season to see him improve upon being a pocket QB.  I am not saying KC is the answer, however, he can run this offense without ANY limitations to playcallinig.  Not because he was better long term, but because he is better now to run this offense.  KC doesn't have to be retaught to play the position like RGIII was having to do.

Him running yesterday had nothing to do with him getting hurt, so yeah you were still wrong. He got hurt trying to avoid pressure and make a throw on the run. It was a perfect throw on 1 leg.

I still don't understand why people think that just because we spent too much to get to draft RG3 that we're automatically locked into him until he retires.  Bad drafts happen.  Busts happen.  It's a part of football.  I completely understand that RG3 has a great rookie season but that was then, this is now.  He hasn't proven to us anything this year except that he continues to be a liability to this team with injuries.

You know, call me crazy but you actually have to be ON THE FIELD to play.

Hasn't proven anything this year? He played 1 game. So Garcon must be bad, dude doesn't even have 100yds receiving in 2 games. Only caught one pass. Should bench him, he's proven nothing this year! DJax too, can't stay on the field! Horrible signing!

What his quote omits is the part where Gruden mentions that RG3 can obviously do some things Kirk can't, but that there's no feeling sorry for yourself in pro football.  Then he said we can win any game with Kirk, which I suppose to some translates to "there are games we can't win with RG3."  Like you said, what else would you expect Gruden to say?

No, I didn't omit that, the question was about where he said KC was a better fit. It wasn't relevant to the question.

BLUF: KC is a natural Pocket QB, RGIII has never ran that type of offense. Gruden can run his entire offense with KC and does not have to change anything. You don't have to believe me, just read what the experts are saying about the differences with KC and RGIII.

It will take time for RGIII to learn to be a Pocket QB, he was basically learning on the fly. It is natural to KC since he has always been a Pocket QB.

Him running yesterday had nothing to do with him getting hurt, so yeah you were still wrong. He got hurt trying to avoid pressure and make a throw on the run. It was a perfect throw on 1 leg.

Hasn't proven anything this year? He played 1 game. So Garcon must be bad, dude doesn't even have 100yds receiving in 2 games. Only caught one pass. Should bench him, he's proven nothing this year! DJax too, can't stay on the field! Horrible signing!

Really?  So he wasn't hurt "running"?  Also, reread my post, it was a reply to the comment about the "Running the Read Option" bandwagon. 

You're stretching now.

Love the guy's fight, skill set and who he is on and off the field. Military parents and discipline and a smart guy that finished HS and College early. Being that smart guy, If I were RG III, I would not resign with this team, wouldn't think twice. I would call McNabb and tell him (my bad, should have listened). This fan base and media will always call for the other guy and always doubt him, It will never end. This is not a city or fan base that is patient, I guess that is a by product of losing for over a decade. It Doesn't understand that the guy needs to grow and make mistakes to learn from them, even his fluke injuries.

What RG should do is not sign an extension next year and enter 2016 as a free agent. He then should let it be known that he wants to return to his home state of Texas and play for the Cowboys. It would be a perfect fit for him, a local fan base that would support him because he is a hometown guy, plus he would not be expected to be the savoir, romoSUCKS would probably be on his way out and it will line up nicely for him to sit and be next man up.

Why don't you head over to cowboys zone and get a Witten jersey and prepare for that then?

No need to post here

No you are going to bring up Garcon?  That is rediculous.  Did you see the pass distribution yesterday?  Did you notice the ENTIRE offense basically had receptions.  This was not inspite of Garcon, this was BECAUSE of Garcon (the Jags focused on him).  This is EXACTLY how the offense is supposed to work, you can't focus on just one player, if you do, EVERYONE else will get an opportunity.

SouthsideDC, we have been patient. It takes roughly 3 years for a Rookie QB to become great, if there not the top pick. Although the Shanahan's incorporated the "Spread" offense (which I think was to help RG3) he still had 2 full seasons and a summer to learn how to simply drop back 3,5, or 7 step drops. He had roughly 500+ game snaps to learn how to read defenses and to move his offense to accommodate. ....wait....where do I get the 500+ snaps your asking I bet? Well a QB gets roughly 40 snaps a game, and RG3 fully started and played in 14 his first year. 14X40=560. I didn't account for his game 16 nor play off game. I also didn't account for his second year or practices.

Should RG3 stay or go? IDK, but I do know that he's only as good as the "Potential" he reaches. Right now we have one QB good at mobility and one QB good in the pocket. I know I want the best QB on the field but that also depends on what style of offense the HC is planning on using. If he's going to use the "Spread" right now then RG3 is our best option (but RG3 does not want to be a "Spread" QB in the pro's), if they want to run a basic pro west coast style offense then Cousins is our best option right now. Pick you poison.

Cousins does have some up side, he can learn to not throw INT's, he can make better decisions, he can adjust his offense to protect him better and get players open... all these things he can do to get better, although he looked pretty good against a measly Jags defense. It's proven you don't need a mobile QB to win in the NFL.

No, I didn't omit that, the question was about where he said KC was a better fit. It wasn't relevant to the question.

BLUF: KC is a natural Pocket QB, RGIII has never ran that type of offense. Gruden can run his entire offense with KC and does not have to change anything. You don't have to believe me, just read what the experts are saying about the differences with KC and RGIII.

It will take time for RGIII to learn to be a Pocket QB, he was basically learning on the fly. It is natural to KC since he has always been a Pocket QB.

Really?  So he wasn't hurt "running"?  Also, reread my post, it was a reply to the comment about the "Running the Read Option" bandwagon. 

Did you listen to the whole presser or just take a part of a quote that was convenient to your opinion?  Gruden by no means argued that we are in any kind of an advantageous spot with Cousins instead of Griffin.  He said the "right things" when asked about Kirk, and made sure to comment on how there are things that Griffin does that Kirk cannot do.  He never said there are things Kirk does that Griffin cannot do, because those things don't exist.

Also, did you watch Kirk Cousins in Shanny's offense and at Michigan State?  Neither offense was very similar to Gruden's.  It's not nearly as simple as saying, "Kirk is a natural pocket passer and RG isn't."  Chad Henne is also a natural pocket passer!  There are plenty of guys on practice squads out there who are "natural pocket passers."  Maybe they'd all be better than Griffin here too!  That is such an elementary way of looking at the situation.  All I'm saying is that people should pump the brakes a bit on Cousins, at least until he has a decent game against a decent team one time in his career.

At this very moment in time, what can RG3 do better than Kirk outside of running?

Deep ball accuracy and completion percentage come to mind.

I know this is a next-man up league, and Kirk most definitely next-manned up today.  

Regardless of the opponent, he more then got the job done today.  He ran the offense and distributed the ball even with DJax gone from the game.  He deservedly got a lot of crap for his starts the end of last year, but he did the damn thing today.

But I was just quiet the entire game watching a blowout that was about to be and should of been Griffin's.  That now all we'll hear about is how much better a pocket passer Cousins is then Griffin when RGIII was basically going off until he threw that 1st down pass on a dislocated ankle.

There's also a distinct possibility that he will be done for the year.  Normally I would wait to start this thread after the MRI and a timetable was announced, but I had to get this off my chest to people that would understand and not just womp womp on to the next story because it's not their problem.

Cousins and Griffin are both free agents at the end of 2015.  I whole-hardheartedly believe we are only keeping one of them.  No matter how high Griffin's ceiling is, I am terrified of the idea of giving this man some $100 million contract with the number of injuries he is sustaining and games he is missing. I was always scared after the second knee surgery in his life that the threat of the third would always be hanging over from him rest of professional career, I just don't know where to go with this anymore.

I will come back to this thread to continue to express my thoughts after the timetable for recovery is announced (I post less because of the job and family and I don't want to come across as trolling).  But it's the elephant in the room now if it wasn't already.  I've seen it murmered in other threads, but it's front page thread time now.  

I know I'm going to catch hell for throwing gasoline on the fire, but as much as I love Robert Griffin, I love the Redskins even more. I'm scared, man, guts don't lie...

Note- The poll question isn't whether you'd give him franchise QB money now, because it's too early to ask that.  The question is asking if you are uncomfortable giving him the contract that says he's the face of the franchise going forward after 2015 based on the reality of his injury history.  I believe that he can play, I no longer believe that he can stay healthy.

_____

Thank you for making this thread.  You were not alone.   I still have that empty feeling in my heart, but at the same time have a lot of excitement because of how special Kirk looked.  I feel guilty for that, but I guess I shouldn't. I constantly battled with FB doubters.  I stand by RGIII and agree also, that he looked awesome all the way up to the injury.  Hell the pass he threw that injured him, was fantastic.  Poor kid.  I feel like he's my little brother and mofos keep calling for his demise.  I love Robert.  I know somehow, he will bounce back and be even better.   Unfortunately, I also fear his future my not be with us.   I'm, all in with Cousins.  If we beat Philly convincingly, there's no doubt we will make the playoffs with Kirk.   If our Defense continues on this path, they will be a top 10 and can take is beyond 1 wildcard game.    Pulling for Robert and wish him a fast and full recovery.
With that said, if Kirk gets on a winning Streak, let him finish the season.   Period.   If Kirk stumbles, than I will say I told you so to the RGIII haters..lol.  Funny thing I pointed out today though.  This is almost exactly like the Philly Vick/Foles situation.   Nck Foles came in and played outstanding, which sent Vick on his way to the Jet's.   I say RGIII stays, but there's an all out QB competition next season (assuming Kirk gets us a winning season). HTTR!!!

Hmm, so why do we need the deep ball when the team utilizes the WCO which is all about dink and dunk? AND... I'm pretty sure Cousins had a couple of deep passes that looked good.

Yes Garcon did take on some double teams, but I also noticed that the coach put in WR's Cousins is used to practicing with, Paul, Gant, Roberts, Young.....

Archived