Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I've never been so sad after a blowout...

Renegade7

Are you uncomfortable giving RGIII Franchise QB money when his rookie contract is up???  

233 members have voted

1. 1. Are you uncomfortable giving RGIII Franchise QB money when his rookie contract is up (based on his injury history)???

He obviously can't come out and say those words but he's currently a better fit than RG3.

I know you love RG3, but he's just not good for this offense.  But if you want to wait on RG3, let him come back next year and get hurt yet again before you MIGHT realize that he's a bust...go right ahead.

Me?  I'm done with RG3.  Cut the losses and move on.

Yeah just cut RG3. Great idea. Guy is a bum.

He obviously can't come out and say those words but he's currently a better fit than RG3.

I know you love RG3, but he's just not good for this offense.

I hear people say that, but what exactly is "this offense"? The offense Gruden ran for the Bengals is not what he was running for the Redskins. 

So RG3 didn't have to fit into an offense, the offense was being tailored to him. If you mean RG3 becoming a pocket passer, then we all understand that Kirk was farther along in some ways. But this offense was created for RG3.

Felt the exact same way. My wife kept asking me why I wasn't excited. Weirdest feeling to watch us dominate but feel down at the same time. It almost brought back the way I felt with RG laying on the field during that Seattle game.

With that being said I will be all in with KC and this team.

I am a Redskin above all else.

HTTR

Seriously,I hated the fact that RGIII got hurt.  HOWEVER, I can't remember a game where I was so exited about how the offense and defense and special teams looked!  Last week was different, I couldn't remember a game where I was as upset as I was watching the futility of the offense, I had zero conifidence we would win that game.

We have people on this board it seems are more fans of the players than the TEAM!  The entire TEAM played great yesterday, not just KC, the entire team.  I am sorry RGIII go hurt, however, this may be a blessing in disguise, I am sure Patriots fans (bledsoe), Steeler fans (Rothlesberger) and 49er fans (Young) felt the same way when there starters were hurt.

What happens if Cousins stink up the joint? back to the draft?

Hopefully we will not have to worry about that, but between Griffin, Cousins, and Gruden, i'm banking on them having it worked out.

It wouldn't hurt to take a gander in the draft, just to see, but geez I hope they stay away from running QBs; Winston just scares the crap outta me as being the next Jamarkus Russell; dunno why, I just don't like the attention he's drawing right now, the off-field incidents, etc, it could be another drama series.

Yeah just cut RG3. Great idea. Guy is a bum.

There is NOTHING wrong with trading him and getting some value for him.

Right now there isn't anything really different between playing RG3 or Cousins, except RG3 can't stay healthy.  I don't know what you think RG3 can magically do that Cousins can't.  Cousins is a better pocket passer.  RG3 is supposed to be better with his legs, but he's not even that.  He can't stay healthy.

I hope Cousins does well, or people are going to be calling for him to get cut and start Colt.

People are going to expect Cousins to beat Seattle and Denver now and when he doesn't, they'll going to say "look Cousins is terrible". 

Watch.

Right now there isn't anything really different between playing RG3 or Cousins, except RG3 can't stay healthy.  I don't know what you think RG3 can magically do that Cousins can't.  Cousins is a better pocket passer.  RG3 is supposed to be better with his legs, but he's not even that.  He can't stay healthy.

People are going to expect Cousins to beat Seattle and Denver now and when he doesn't, they'll going to say "look Cousins is terrible". 

Watch.

Trade RG3 your backup plan is Colt, which is stupid.

Watch.

Well considering we don't play Denver, I don't think anyone is expecting him to beat them.

So you can say after watching RG3 play against the Texans, that he doesn't fit Gruden's offense, but if Cousins doesn't play well, it's not his fault? Makes sense.

Well considering we don't play Denver, I don't think anyone is expecting him to beat them.

So you can say after watching RG3 play against the Texans, that he doesn't fit Gruden's offense, but if Cousins doesn't play well, it's not his fault? Makes sense.

Don't you know we can't criticize Cousins, we gotta support the team.

Some of you are truly unbelievable.

RG3 hasn't proved ANYTHING except that he is as brittle as Sam Bradford.  I was one of the people that said we needed to start Cousins at the beginning of the season.  I was one of the people that said that RG3 was injury prone and he doesn't have the NFL caliber potential that everyone thinks he has, but I got blasted left and right.

One other user here said "we need to cut our losses and move on", and I completely agree.

TRADE HIM NOW while he's still somewhat worth something before it's too late.  Sometimes you draft a bust and there's nothing you can do about it but move on.  I know you guys don't want to believe that and want to keep giving RG3 chances each year but we've given him chances and he can't stay healthy.

You cannot make a mobile QB into a strict pocket passer.  It will never happen.  Mobile QB's will always be mobile.  The problem is mobile QB's need to be smart when they run, and RG3 isn't smart...he doesn't slide properly and takes unnecessary risks.

I'm sure RG3 is a "good person", but good people don't win football games.

Sometimes you need to accept that you drafted a bust player.  You need to accept it.  Cut your losses and move on. 

TRADE HIM PLEASE.

Wow! This may be the most rediculous rant I have ever seen.

Who is trading anything for a player who is currently recovering from a major injury. Even if you want to trade him, what would you get before he recovers?

Weak, very weak.

That is not what he said... The question asked by the reporter was "Do you feel that you can win with Kirk" he basically said yes of course, just like we can win with Roberts replacing Jackson. He then went on to say why he was comfortable because he feels Kirk can make the throws in the play book etc..

Its about the 8 minute mark http://www.redskins.com/media-gallery/videos/Jay_Gruden_on_Overcoming_Injuries/a29c7531-5616-4e38-80e1-b13e7cbc413f

How do you know Cousins is a better fit? He's played 1 game and he's suddenly a great fit? Griffin played a little over 4 quarters in Gruden's offense and had completed 78% of his throws. But he's not a good fit?

Where did Gruden say Cousins is a better fit?

“I feel like we can win any game with Kirk Cousins,” Gruden said, quickly adding he felt the same about subs in general. “Kirk is a special guy. He started [three] games last year and didn’t have great success, but [he] has a skill set that I feel like is very much suited for what we do. He can handle it mentally. I feel that he can make every throw in the book.”

That is a direct quote, I challenge you to now find a quote from Gruden saying the same thing about RGIII.

I tend to think the original post is a loaded question. Of course you don't want to give a long-term contract to RG3 at this point. He's injured and coming off a disappointing year. But the bigger point is you don't have to. Both Griffin and Cousins have a couple years left on their rookie contacts, and RG3 has a team option in year 5. There's pretty much zero reason to make any formal decision now as you have RG3 for the next three years at a relatively cheap rate for a QB.

One also has to consider the question of what the plan is if the team moves on from RG3. If people are willing to write off RG3 (they shouldn't), they can't know Cousins is any good. Based on a number of factors, it's unlikely Cousins ends up being the franchise either. He might be a sufficient stop gap, but the team spent 20+ years trying to find a long-term above average QB after the last Super Bowl win. The closest the team came was the brief Brad Johnson experience (Trent Green or Rich Gannon also left and became decent QBs post-Redskins). And the team let all of those guys walk.

The real answer is the Cousins is going to get more time to prove what he can/cannot do. If RG3 comes back this year, he will also get some reps. And we'll know a lot more in 4 months than we know now. So it's impossible to make any real decision now.

I tend to think the original post is a loaded question. Of course you don't want to give a long-term contract to RG3 at this point. He's injured and coming off a disappointing year. But the bigger point is you don't have to. Both Griffin and Cousins have a couple years left on their rookie contacts, and RG3 has a team option in year 5. There's pretty much zero reason to make any formal decision now as you have RG3 for the next three years at a relatively cheap rate for a QB.

One also has to consider the question of what the plan is if the team moves on from RG3. If people are willing to write off RG3 (they shouldn't), they can't know Cousins is any good. Based on a number of factors, it's unlikely Cousins ends up being the franchise either. He might be a sufficient stop gap, but the team spent 20+ years trying to find a long-term above average QB after the last Super Bowl win. The closest the team came was the brief Brad Johnson experience (Trent Green or Rich Gannon also left and became decent QBs post-Redskins). And the team let all of those guys walk.

The real answer is the Cousins is going to get more time to prove what he can/cannot do. If RG3 comes back this year, he will also get some reps. And we'll know a lot more in 4 months than we know now. So it's impossible to make any real decision now.

There's no point in keeping both.  We could trade one of them and get some value.  Obviously we need to wait for RG3 to get healthy to trade him (which means next year), but there's no reason to keep RG3 and Cousins.  And i think we should trade RG3.  Better for the team.

Watch.

Cousins has played less than a half a season in the NFL and about a quarter of a season when defenses actually had to prepare for him.  Against the Browns and Jags, which are easily the two worst teams he has faced, he is 68% with 579 yards, 4 TDs to 1 INT, and a 106.8 rating.  Against everyone else he has ever played against, he's 53% with 6 TDs to 9 INTs, and a 58 QB rating.  In other words, he's been great against two of the worst teams in football and bad again everyone else.  So to say there isn't anything different between RG3 and Kirk other than health is asinine.  You say he is a better pocket passer than RG, but that's based on what exactly?

I have a little bit different perspective than many when it comes to Cousins.  I watched almost every single one of his college games and have been a fan of his since before he was a Redskin.  But I have never and still don't think he is capable of being a special player.  When teams have a week to prepare for him (real teams that is) I think he is going to have some struggles, and some of his weaknesses (which do exist) will be exploited.  And on top of it all, he simply does not have the ceiling that RG3 has, and thus the situations are night and day in terms of what you are trying to build.  He's likely our guy now for the foreseeable future, so I will be hoping like hell that I'm wrong and he's the next Tom Brady, but I'm pretty sure he's not.

Finally, your last paragraph is kind of laughable to me considering that I've hardly heard anyone ever really criticize Kirk Cousins.  They save that for RG.  Griffin is the one who can't win in the eyes of the fan base, for the most part, not Cousins.  Griffin, before the injury yesterday, was getting basically no leeway from the majority of our fan base after one game in a new system where he had some positive things to take away, whereas Cousins comes in against a terrible Jags team who didn't prepare for him and does fine, and all of a sudden he is the future.  The case about RG's health can obviously be made, but past that, I don't see how the hell people can say with a straight face that Cousins is the better plan at QB.  The sample size is too small to make the call one way or another, but if you are going off the facts we have, he's left a LOT to be desired.  I hope he improves fast, because Philly is a different beast than Jacksonville.  HTTR.

There's no point in keeping both.  We could trade one of them and get some value.  Obviously we need to wait for RG3 to get healthy to trade him (which means next year), but there's no reason to keep RG3 and Cousins.  And i think we should trade RG3.  Better for the team.

Even if Cousins stinks? All the trade talk is premature since we don't know what we have in Cousins.

“I feel like we can win any game with Kirk Cousins,” Gruden said, quickly adding he felt the same about subs in general. “Kirk is a special guy. He started [three] games last year and didn’t have great success, but [he] has a skill set that I feel like is very much suited for what we do. He can handle it mentally. I feel that he can make every throw in the book.”

That is a direct quote, I challenge you to now find a quote from Gruden saying the same thing about RGIII.

Saying what same thing? Saying positive things about him?

Were you awake yesterday?  I'm pretty sure we had firsthand proof that there is a point in keeping both.  If we were to have gotten an offer we couldn't refuse for Kirk, I would have been OK with it.  But you don't just trade a good backup for the hell of it, because you're always one play away from needing that guy.

"Better for the team."  OK, guess that settles it.  Glad you aren't the GM...

How can you make this determination based off of one game, a game in which RG3 should have been 3/3 for like 80 yards and 20+ yards rushing.

I think Cousins played well, we don't even know if this will carry over into next week. History says it won't, although we should be hopeful.

I'm happy you're not the GM.

Edit: LOL at PMI saying the same thing.

Where in that quote does he say he's a better fit? And what did you expect him to say? "Oh jeez, Kirk Cousins is gonna start for us now and we're gonna have to redo this whole playbook, we're screwed you guys."

"There's really not much I can throw at him that he can't do."

Where in that quote does he say he's a better fit? And what did you expect him to say? "Oh jeez, Kirk Cousins is gonna start for us now and we're gonna have to redo this whole playbook, we're screwed you guys."

"There's really not much I can throw at him that he can't do."

What his quote omits is the part where Gruden mentions that RG3 can obviously do some things Kirk can't, but that there's no feeling sorry for yourself in pro football.  Then he said we can win any game with Kirk, which I suppose to some translates to "there are games we can't win with RG3."  Like you said, what else would you expect Gruden to say?

Archived