Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I've never been so sad after a blowout...

Renegade7

Are you uncomfortable giving RGIII Franchise QB money when his rookie contract is up???  

233 members have voted

1. 1. Are you uncomfortable giving RGIII Franchise QB money when his rookie contract is up (based on his injury history)???

I know this is a next-man up league, and Kirk most definitely next-manned up today.  

Regardless of the opponent, he more then got the job done today.  He ran the offense and distributed the ball even with DJax gone from the game.  He deservedly got a lot of crap for his starts the end of last year, but he did the damn thing today.

But I was just quiet the entire game watching a blowout that was about to be and should of been Griffin's.  That now all we'll hear about is how much better a pocket passer Cousins is then Griffin when RGIII was basically going off until he threw that 1st down pass on a dislocated ankle.

There's also a distinct possibility that he will be done for the year.  Normally I would wait to start this thread after the MRI and a timetable was announced, but I had to get this off my chest to people that would understand and not just womp womp on to the next story because it's not their problem.

Cousins and Griffin are both free agents at the end of 2015.  I whole-hardheartedly believe we are only keeping one of them.  No matter how high Griffin's ceiling is, I am terrified of the idea of giving this man some $100 million contract with the number of injuries he is sustaining and games he is missing. I was always scared after the second knee surgery in his life that the threat of the third would always be hanging over from him rest of professional career, I just don't know where to go with this anymore.

I will come back to this thread to continue to express my thoughts after the timetable for recovery is announced (I post less because of the job and family and I don't want to come across as trolling).  But it's the elephant in the room now if it wasn't already.  I've seen it murmered in other threads, but it's front page thread time now.  

I know I'm going to catch hell for throwing gasoline on the fire, but as much as I love Robert Griffin, I love the Redskins even more. I'm scared, man, guts don't lie...

Note- The poll question isn't whether you'd give him franchise QB money now, because it's too early to ask that.  The question is asking if you are uncomfortable giving him the contract that says he's the face of the franchise going forward after 2015 based on the reality of his injury history.  I believe that he can play, I no longer believe that he can stay healthy.

You can't pay RG3 or Kirk.

Both are under contract next year and he keep them both period.

Kirk has his chance to prove himself. As far as I'm concerned the starting job is his to lose. He needs to come in and play lights out. If he doesn't you give Griffin his job back.

Either way know one as a fan should want Cousins traded anymore. We just can't count on Griffin staying healthy.

If you give him franchise $$$ in 2016 you will not have $$$ to keep KC if KC plays well this year. We will not be able to retain Kerrigan when the time comes. It will force our hand in so many other places of need that I cannot see it making sense for the franchise.

If he was playing 14 games a year at the level he displayed in 2012 then yes pay him. If he 2013-2014 RGIII then it is time to cut bait and move on. YMMV

To be honest, Griffin's injury, assuming he misses the season, is going to ensure that he won't get a mega contract offer. There were already some questions. Missing the season assures that those questions won't be answered, and it potentially add a new "injury prone?" question (I don't believe he's completely earned that tag yet).

I imagine, if he plays well next year, he'll get something that reflects Kaepernick's contract. If he plays poorly or is injured again, the contract will likely be very short-term to give Griffin a last chance or two.

LOL at the idea of giving RG3 any type of big contract. 

At this point, I'm wondering how long he'll be here. Even if/once Kirk comes back down to earth, RG3 has had 2 catastrophic injuries in 3 seasons and still has a mountain of doubt on his game. His mobility is going to be non-existent soon.

To me, the RG3 era is about done. I'm always pretty sure that there is a QB comp next offseason and that Kirk would probably win easily.

It sucks ass. I love RGIII. Love him as a person but i want to win. You have to be on the field to win.

RG3 is in same category as Bradford now. Just can't count on him going forward. It stinks, but it would be foolish for the Redskins to plan for the future around him. They don't need to make a rash decision right now or anything, but at this point we can't count on him any longer. His body is brittle, he takes fairly innocent hits and makes them look like 100 MPH car wreck. He was a gamble out of college and one I supported taking. But a gamble is a gamble.

I am afraid he is Bradford, but he could turn out to be Stafford. Have to see what the recovery time is on his injury and see how Kirk plays this season before deciding if RG3 should or should not get the big deal. Happy we have Kirk, but sick to stomach over another injury to RG3. The ignore list is growing large today with all the morons piling on the RG3 injury (don't consider this thread piling on, though it may be too soon to ask question).

RG3 is in same category as Bradford now. Just can't count on him going forward. It stinks, but it would be foolish for the Redskins to plan for the future around him. They don't need to make a rash decision right now or anything, but at this point we can't count on him any longer. His body is brittle, he takes fairly innocent hits and makes them look like 100 MPH car wreck. He was a gamble out of college and one I supported taking. But a gamble is a gamble.

Exactly.

Cut your losses and move on. I'll never fault the team for making the move and trying to hit the lotto. Just didn't work out.

I assume you guys know that we can exercise a 5th year option on Robert.

In other words, next year isn't necessarily his FA year.

And there is always the tag option. No matter what happens at this point, you don't even consider a big extension after this year.

If he comes back early and plays well the rest of this season and then has a great and healthy year next year, maybe you think about offering him a really team-friendly deal, but you'd still probably see him play out the next year instead. 

The option for Griffin's contract does not change the fact after 2015 either Griffin or Cousins is going to be gone.  If that's the case, we need to be honest about the possibility of the odd man out being Griffin for the sake of franchise.  This is where I'm at right now and I'm praying to be wrong that this will all just work itself out.

I said the same thing about Lavar as well...

I do not want to call RGIII a bust, but he is going to miss significant time for the third straight season (yes last season he was "shut down") but simply put he has had his chance to stay on the field and produce and except for his rookie year he hasn't done it.

This will be Kirks team from here on out (especially if he does well against the eagles)....I applaud the team for making the move to go get RGIII but it didn't work out and now its time to move on....IMO we trade him ASAP get as much fro him as we can and kill the controversy of RG vs Kirk...

I feel bad for RGIII but IMO ITS OVER! Thanks for the Division title that he was a huge part of but we have too much talent to keep waiting on him to be the QB we think he should.

I do not want to call RGIII a bust, but he is going to miss significant time for the third straight season (yes last season he was "shut down") but simply put he has had his chance to stay on the field and produce and except for his rookie year he hasn't done it.

This will be Kirks team from here on out (especially if he does well against the eagles)....I applaud the team for making the move to go get RGIII but it didn't work out and now its time to move on....IMO we trade him ASAP get as much fro him as we can and kill the controversy of RG vs Kirk...

I feel bad for RGIII but IMO ITS OVER! Thanks for the Division title that he was a huge part of but we have too much talent to keep waiting on him to be the QB we think he should.

He missed 4 games in his career and three of those are due to the coach and owner getting into a pissing match.

I honestly think some fans fell in love with Kirk from the get go and couldn't wait for something like this to happen.

He missed 4 games in his career and three of those are due to the coach and owner getting into a pissing match.

I honestly think some fans fell in love with Kirk from the get go and couldn't wait for something like this to happen.

Even if you're right, please don't make this thread into that.  This game is why I made this thread.

Thank you.

Archived