Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you think it's rude to lean your seat back all the way on an airplane?

endzone_dave

Why is reclining your seat being self centered?   I don't get that at all.

You want to know what is self centered?   People on the isle row who get their stuff and walk on, after landing.   You have two people, on each side of the isle who get stuck until the very last.  That, to me, is a much more rude gesture then simply using the seat for what it was obviously designed for. 

hey...cities have street sweepers...amusement parks have janitors...maybe I should just toss trash on the ground...after all...it's someone elses job. How about people just try being decent instead of self-centered?

Keep fighting the good fight then. Like I said several posts ago, it's not that big a deal either way. 

You want to know what is self centered?   People on the isle row who get their stuff and walk on, after landing.   You have two people, on each side of the isle who get stuck until the very last.  That, to me, is a much more rude gesture then simply using the seat for what it was obviously designed for. 

I don't like people who get on early and stow their stuff in the overhead near the front of the plane and then walk to their seats ALL the way back of the plane. 

Those seats only lean back 1.5-2 inches anyway. I don't understand the whine.

What pisses me off is when the airline allows a 450-500 pound dude to squeeze into a single seat on a commuter airplane causing me to give up 1/3 of my seat and lean on the wall for 2 hours because the dude doesn't even come close to fitting.

What pisses me off is when the airline allows a 450-500 pound dude to squeeze into a single seat on a commuter airplane causing me to give up 1/3 of my seat and lean on the wall for 2 hours because the dude doesn't even come close to fitting.

. . . and passengers have to pay $25 more for a checked bag that is over 50 lbs

• 11 months later...

Irate woman is kicked off plane for refusing to put her dog in pet carrier

An irate woman on board a United Express flight from Salt Lake City to Chicago who refused to put her small dog in a carrier after it had allegedly been growling and snapping at the flight crew was kicked off the plane.

Police were called to forcibly eject the woman, who was allegedly asked by staff to put the dog into the its carrier, and refused.

Video posted by YouTube user who goes by the name Mr. Adownie filmed the incident after the flight was forced to return to the gate.  

The video's tongue-in-cheek title, Flight of Cujo, has the following text over the video: "Her dog had been growling and snapping at the crew. She refused to put it in a carrier calling flight attendant 'A b****'. Bad idea, lady. We returned to the gate. The police were waiting. She was oblivious."

Click on the link for the full article

This is the most annoying thing ever.  

And not just on commuter aircraft.

I don't mean to be mean, but I think that there should be a size limit per seat.  And if you don't fit, you have to buy a second seat, though i would offer at a discounted rate or something.  It shouldn't be discrimination, and I don't want to make anybody feel bad, but physics are physics: 2 objects can not occupy the same space at the same time, and you can only squeeze so much body into an airplane seat.  

I actually wouldn't be opposed to treating such passengers as "handicapped" and having a couple "handicapped" seats that are wider for them.  

But when you get stuck next to somebody who just doesn't fit, it's uncomfortable for them and you.  Both physically and socially.  

That was the genesis of my comment. I kind of get our towering members' having an issue but for everyone else, seats don't recline more than 2 inches in coach.

I know it's part of the a la carte pricing model, but I really like comfort plus on Delta. 4 or so inches is huge, you can recline further as well. Better snacks, free drinks, it's hard to beat if it's available.

• 2 months later...

The ultimate guide to plane etiquette

From farting to being Gerard Depardieu, these are the most inconsiderate, anti-social things you can do on a plane

eti-p_3552488b.jpg

We've compiled a list of some of the traits, actions and characteristics of fellow travellers that are just not on when it comes to flying.

Click on the link for the full article

The problem ABQC is that while the seats were absolutely designed to recline 30 years ago;  the airlines have been gradually inch by inch moving them closer together..   So now if you are over six feat and the guy ahead of you reclines his seats, that seat is literally cutting into the knees of the guy behind him.    Happened to me this weekend.

The guy puts his seat back in front of me..  my first notification of this is the seat landing on my knees.   Not the cushon part of the seat either but the hard plastic table part.    Then invariable the guy realizes he's hit a snag and he starts trying to bound or force his seat back as my knees or worse knee is impacted over and over again with the full force of his weight...   I'm 6'6"  and sometimes use my arms to force the dudes seat back into the upright position..    Sometimes I will stand up, walk to the front of the plane and rub my knees to make the dude aware of what is happening...  Sometimes I just suck it up the best I can....

Anyway you definitely have the right to recline your seat..   But I also should have a right to not have my legs cut off at the knees when you do so and that is the choice the airlines have left us.    I absolutely can not fit in the seat provided if the person in front of me tries to reclines his seat.    Or stated another way,  the person in front of my can not physically recline his seat if I am sitting behind him..  What he can do is rest his seat on my knees if he reclines his seat a quarter of an inch from straight up.

I'm 6'6" and there's about a 1/4th an inch between my knees and the back of any given airline seat in front of me....  it is physically impossible for anybody sitting in front of me to put their seat back 1 inch and the airlines had to know that when they crammed the seats so close together.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand when I get on a plane, the chances are the person in front of me is going to recline their seat, invade my space and cause me to have to recline mine in return.

With that said, for whatever reason, it makes my blood boil when the person in front of me simply can't wait to recline and does it as soon as possible, at times prior to being 'allowed' to.  Rather than just being an a-hole, they must be an instant a-hole.

You know what the best part of this thread is? Listening to people **** and moan about their discomfort while demanding that others be uncomfortable. It's like frequent flyers think they are the "most important people in the world" and what they think trumps everyone else.

Listen, if an airline passenger wishes to recline a seat, they are under no obligation to clear it with the person behind them. Not checking with the person behind them does not make them rude.

If you are 6'6 and are cramming yourself into baseline economy, that's on you. Almost every airline offers more legroom for a slight fee (most around $50). Do you buy a Toyota Yaris to drive around in because it is the cheapest car? And if you are traveling for business you generally have enough notice that those seats are available, and company policy may allow for a business class seat if you are flying over X hours. 

No one is going to be "comfortable" on a narrow cylinder hurtling 500 MPH through the sky. I'm 6'2 and will be flying to SFO from IAD in June. I will be on either JetBlue or Virgin, in the extra room seats. And you can bet your ass I will be reclining for at least a portion of my flight.

There are only but so many seats available with 'extra' leg room.  Even those seats aren't that much larger on most airlines.  I work for one of the biggest banks in the world and have to travel on short notice frequently and have no option to purchase a business class seat no matter how long the flight is.  I frequently had to fly from DC to LA, the best I could do was fly Virgin America but if I wanted the additional leg room, that $79 was on me. 

I don't think anyone is demanding that others remain uncomfortable.  Reclining the seat simply creates a domino effect for nearly everyone involved.   

There are only but so many seats available with 'extra' leg room.  Even those seats aren't that much larger on most airlines.  I work for one of the biggest banks in the world and have to travel on short notice frequently and have no option to purchase a business class seat no matter how long the flight is.  I frequently had to fly from DC to LA, the best I could do was fly Virgin America but if I wanted the additional leg room, that $79 was on me. 

I don't think anyone is demanding that others remain uncomfortable.  Reclining the seat simply creates a domino effect for nearly everyone involved.   

Dude, if you fly Virgin you don't need the extra room. There is room in Virgin for me, and then some. So unless you are 6'6 or taller its just complaining at this point.

Dude, if you fly Virgin you don't need the extra room. There is room in Virgin for me, and then some. So unless you are 6'6 or taller its just complaining at this point.

I'm 6'2" and while Virgin has more space than other airlines, its minimal.  The moment the person in front of you puts their seat back the television is right in my face.  Virgin simply looks more modern and gives you a personal TV to watch, they still jam seats in there like everyone else.

Also, as I stated, that's the best I can do for cross country flights. 

I'm 6'2" and while Virgin has more space than other airlines, its minimal.  The moment the person in front of you puts their seat back the television is right in my face.  Virgin simply looks more modern and gives you a personal TV to watch, they still jam seats in there like everyone else.

Also, as I stated, that's the best I can do for cross country flights. 

I am 6'2" 260+, I have no problem with people who put their seat back in front of me. The TV is not in my face. I have enough space to endure the flight. No one is comfortable on flights anymore. Airlines have jammed every seat into every conceivable inch. In no way do I use that to make other miserable as well.

Archived