Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you think it's rude to lean your seat back all the way on an airplane?

endzone_dave

Yeah, if I were in charge all the aisle people would exit, then all the middle seat people, then the window seat people. And I am exclusively a window seat flier. Plus, there would be no overhead bins. carry ones would have to be stowed under the seat in front of you. Tall? Under your knees will work as well.

I hope that you, in aisle seat 5c will enjoy accompanying my child, in aisle seat 6c until i (in middle seat 6b) can catch back up with her in half hour or so... 

here is a bag of warm smashed up baby carrots for the meantime.  enjoy! 

Tailgate is 99% first world problems... I ended up watching the entertainment (same on both flights) as a distraction.

Planes are the closest people get to experiencing what prison must be like in my mind. Everyone is avoiding eye contact with each other and doing the most to make it not the most unpleasant experience that it is.

Stuck in a seat staring at a wall for 3 hours is just the worst. You are not a human if you can't empathize with that misery.

Nobodies staring at a wall on the airplane....either people look at the seat in front of them (not a wall) or stare out the window (at clouds).

I hope that you, in aisle seat 5c will enjoy accompanying my child, in aisle seat 6c until i (in middle seat 6b) can catch back up with her in half hour or so... 

here is a bag of warm smashed up baby carrots for the meantime.  enjoy! 

You smuggled a child on board! I am in charge and their are no children* allowed on my plane.

*a child shall be defined as a human under the age of 10 that is no relation to me. All humans related to me are exempt. 

Right. Everybody knows that forcing 60 people who have their luggage in their hands, to stand there and wait, while two people who don't have their luggage yet fish theirs out of the luggage bins, is the most efficient system possible.

Its rude. So then everyone will rush to get their carryons. Its alresdy unpleasant, but now we all have to rush off. I guesz you dont fly, so you wouldnt get it. I really am surprised there are few plane rage incidents and most folk wi politely wait the 5-10 seconds it takes for other passengers to get their bag.

Hey, I flew packed charters in the military and we exited a plane in an organised, quick pattern. We emptied a 747 way faster than an a320 empties. I'm just saying...

Actually, kinda OT, but I remember an article in Air and Space magazine, decades ago. Seems like the stats say (or said, at the time) that, if you're in a plane crash, your odds of surviving the crash were much higher, if you're in a military transport plane. Like, your odds of dying are one eighth as high.

The article interviewed experts from places like NTSB, about why the survival rate is so much higher in military aircraft. 

Some of the differences, they point out, really aren't applicable to civilian aircraft.  They note that your odds of surviving are much higher if your seat faces backwards.  But making civilian customers do that isn't gonna fly (no pun intended). 

But then they also observed that most people who die in plane crashes don't die from the crash, they die from the fire.  They note that American military transports, the C-130, C-141, and C-5, all have a high wing.  (And the wing is where the fuel tanks are.)  This makes them less likely to rupture in a crash (and spill jet fuel all over the crash scene.)  The airlines don't like high wings, because if makes refueling the aircraft more work. 

And they observed that in many cases, airline deaths aren't even due to the fire, it's due to toxic gasses from the fire. 

Airline seats are made out of a foam rubber that floats.  (As the safety lecture informs you, before every flight.)  They also have to be able to stand up to wear and tear, and resist aging and things like mildew. 

Well, they're made out of a foam that burns easily, and gives off toxic gas then they burn. 

There's a different kind of foam that they could use. 

But the different foam weighs more.  Weighing more makes the aircraft weigh more.  Which makes it burn more fuel.  The airlines won;t switch to the safer seats, because they don't want to pay for the tiny increase in fuel costs. 

the problem isn't the row pattern... it is the fact that people have too much stuff for the narrow little rows, and teh stuff is often spread all over the damned place by the overhead hogs...

and people have too much stuff and are hogging the overhead space because the airlines charge you to put stuff in the baggage section, where it belongs. and if you DO put stuff in the baggage section......... you never see it again.

Actually, kinda OT, but I remember an article in Air and Space magazine, decades ago. Seems like the stats say (or said, at the time) that, if you're in a plane crash, your odds of surviving the crash were much higher, if you're in a military transport plane. Like, your odds of dying are one eighth as high.

The article interviewed experts from places like NTSB, about why the survival rate is so much higher in military aircraft. 

Some of the differences, they point out, really aren't applicable to civilian aircraft.  They note that your odds of surviving are much higher if your seat faces backwards.  But making civilian customers do that isn't gonna fly (no pun intended). 

But then they also observed that most people who die in plane crashes don't die from the crash, they die from the fire.  They note that American military transports, the C-130, C-141, and C-5, all have a high wing.  (And the wing is where the fuel tanks are.)  This makes them less likely to rupture in a crash (and spill jet fuel all over the crash scene.)  The airlines don't like high wings, because if makes refueling the aircraft more work. 

And they observed that in many cases, airline deaths aren't even due to the fire, it's due to toxic gasses from the fire. 

Airline seats are made out of a foam rubber that floats.  (As the safety lecture informs you, before every flight.)  They also have to be able to stand up to wear and tear, and resist aging and things like mildew. 

Well, they're made out of a foam that burns easily, and gives off toxic gas then they burn. 

There's a different kind of foam that they could use. 

But the different foam weighs more.  Weighing more makes the aircraft weigh more.  Which makes it burn more fuel.  The airlines won;t switch to the safer seats, because they don't want to pay for the tiny increase in fuel costs. 

You ever flown in a transport? It sucks and may be the worst flying experience I have ever had. Cargo-net seat. Cold as hell. Louder than hell. Bumpy as hell (well, that might be because I was sitting on a cargo-net seat!). Absolutely miserable experience. Flew from Bosnia to Germany. And it was all worth it for the German beer.  :wub:

EDIT: Looking at pics online, the experience has definitely improved since I was in!

Lockheed_Hercules_interior.jpg

You ever flown in a transport? It sucks and may be the worst flying experience I have ever had. Cargo net seat. Cold as hell. Louder than hell. Bumpy as hell (well, that might be because I was sitting on a rope seat!). Absolutely miserable experience. Flew from Bosnia to Germany. And it was all worth it for the German beer.  :wub:

Absolutely not. Joe Civilian, here.

I will note, though, that the article discussed the survival benefits of having seats face backwards, not of changing them to rope netting. :)

Yeah, what could go wrong? 

Absolutely not. Joe Civilian, here.

I will note, though, that the article discussed the survival benefits of having seats face backwards, not of changing them to rope netting. :)

Yeah, I never flew in one that was designed for troop transport. Apparently they have crazy configurations to fit a ton of people in:

c8965a63944204ef25c22c457ba10607.jpg

There's a link, in that article, to another article, that has all sorts of ideas people have come up with, to cram more cattle, I mean customers, into airplanes.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-07/10/best-and-worst-airline-seating-concepts

One of them actually at least LOOKS really nifty and neat.

The main thing I do is try to set my expectations low.  I tell myself that many of the following things will likely happen on my flight: my flight will be delayed, it will take way too long to board the plane, I'll be sitting next to a huge person with hairy arms who will rub up against me the entire flight, I will be sitting next to someone who will snore the entire flight, I will be sitting next to a crying baby, the person in front of me will lean their seat all the way back, there will be a 4 year old kid kicking the back of my seat, it will take forever for my luggage to show up at the carousel, I will spend an hour sitting at the gate for some unexplained reason, the person next to me will spend two hours telling me where they are from and why they are flying and what their 3rd cousin does for a living, the person next to me will accidently spill some of their drink on me...

Also, bring stuff to entertain yourself: books, magazine, music/headphones, ipad.  

Yeah, if I were in charge all the aisle people would exit, then all the middle seat people, then the window seat people. And I am exclusively a window seat flier.

Wow this would be so much faster.

I do like how people in the back of the plane get ready to go as soon as we land then I watch them stand there for 10 minutes like a dumbass.

I do like how people in the back of the plane get ready to go as soon as we land then I watch them stand there for 10 minutes like a dumbass.

After being stuck in a seat for several hours, sometimes you just want to stand up whether you are going anywhere or not.

What I have gathered from this thread is that the overall experience of flying is so terrible that everyone can find numerous things that really piss them off about the entire experience.  I knew this already but having it all condensed into 5 pages really hits home.

Yeah...wanting to stand up and stretch their legs after sitting down from takeoff to landing. what an idiot thing to do....

/sarcasm.

I'm all for the most efficient plane exit method -- aisles first, whatever really. Can't help thinking it won't make much difference though.

It's human law that every man/woman/child becomes geriatric while trying to exit a plane. It's honestly amazing. 90% of passengers become the equivalent of the old lady with a giant handbag in the CVS checkout line, taking 20 minutes to buy three cans of cat food. 

• 2 months later...

Senate refuses to stop airlines from shrinking seat sizes

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Senate refused Thursday to come to the aid of airline passengers squeezed by the ever-shrinking size of their seats.

An amendment by Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., would have blocked airlines from further reducing the “size, width, padding, and pitch” of seats, passengers’ legroom and the width of aisles. “It costs you an arm and a leg just to have room for your arms and legs,” Schumer said.

The amendment also would have required the Federal Aviation Administration to set standards for the minimum amount of space airlines must provide passengers for their “safety, health and comfort.” Airlines would have had to post the size of their seats on their websites so that consumers could take the information into consideration when buying tickets.

The proposal failed on a vote of 42-54, with all but three Democrats in favor and all but one Republican against.

Economy-class airline seats have shrunk in recent years on average from a width of 18 inches to 16.5 inches. The average pitch — the space between a point on one seat and the same on the seat in front of it — has gone from 35 inches to about 31 inches. Many airlines are charging passengers for extra legroom in amounts that used to be standard.

No senators spoke against the proposal, but airlines opposed to the measure have accused lawmakers of trying to “re-regulate” an industry that has been deregulated since 1978.

Click on the link for the full article

After being stuck in a seat for several hours, sometimes you just want to stand up whether you are going anywhere or not.

What I have gathered from this thread is that the overall experience of flying is so terrible that everyone can find numerous things that really piss them off about the entire experience.  I knew this already but having it all condensed into 5 pages really hits home.

I haven't flown since '95 or so.  Wouldn't know what the heck to do.

And I don't want to. 

#driveovermountainsloveit

Lil ol' folks like me are okay right here on the ground.  I'd love to see the Grand Canyon, and if I can afford to fly, I can damn sure afford to drive & see the sights/meet people on the way.

That is, of course, until ...nevermind.  I'll be a Canadian then. 

O Canada.

Everyone calm down. The free market will solve it. Or it won't and tell you to go **** yourself until you're ready to shell out the cash.

I believe I read a while ago that, adjusted for inflation, you can buy a first class ticket for what "economy" used to cost before deregulation.

If that is correct, then it could be argued that even the current scenario is better for the consumer... one can choose to be crammed into cattle class to save money, or one can buy a more life affirming passage, a choice that we did not really have before.

Or, one can annoy zoony and use miles and get the ticket for free.  :P

I miss smoking on flights

Free market solution: go buy a private jet.

I believe I read a while ago that, adjusted for inflation, you can buy a first class ticket for what "economy" used to cost before deregulation.

If that is correct, then it could be argued that even the current scenario is better for the consumer... one can choose to be crammed into cattle class to save money, or one can buy a more life affirming passage, a choice that we did not really have before.

Or, one can annoy zoony and use miles and get the ticket for free. :P

Economy class before deregulation was also much nicer than economy now. Economy now, can be like flying Greyhound.

Archived