Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins cuts, plus cuts from all NFL teams (Seastrunk, Hocker, P. Thomas among cut)

well, the announcers have mentioned him playing there numerous times

Saying he COULD or he HAS?

And was it Joey T?  Whom we all love, and I love even more after this preseason and seeing/hearing how others do their coverage... but he did say John Beck was the next Drew Brees.

Bottom line, if Golston is play NT, we are in deep ****.  I don't hate players cause they are good.

Webb (CB cut by Cowboys) signed by Steelers. Ouch, they must be hurting at CB to pick up a Cowboys castoff.

A few of us were high on him two years ago during the draft.  No doubt he was misused, but he's also a project.

But BW Webb and Tomlin have an alma mater and a position in common, too.

Wasn't Barth the one who nailed multiple 50+ yarders in TB's near-win against us in 2012? Anyone know what he did or didn't do to get cut?

He is from my Home Town. He was injured last season but has fully recovered. He also was playing last night against the Redskins. He is healthy now and worth picking up. He was beaten out by a younger cheaper player.

In other roster related news... I say damn... Aldon Smith is down for 9 games!

They couldn't make that 12? :lol:

Of course not :) you know the drill.  I'm still amazed we got the Fecals with the Lane Johnson suspension.  For whatever reason, we seem to come out on the "wrong" end of these disciplinary measures.  It's cool though; if you are good it does not matter anyway. I actually have always prefered playing teams at full strength.  THAT is what sport is about.  HTTR 

IF and I say IF he is the punter opening day, he can handle it.  He did the holding for Hocker or Forbath yesterday.

That's great to know.  I hadn't thought of that as a complication until justice98 brought it up, but it's a great concern.

Be sweet if you could save a roster spot because your kicker could handle FG'S , punts, and kickoffs. Kinda like a SuperKicker lol. Different disciplines I guess, but I always wondered why one guy couldn't do all three well.

I like the idea of a superkicker but like you said probably different disciplines involved.

HTTR!

I like the idea of a superkicker but like you said probably different disciplines involved.

HTTR!

A lot of guys can do both; in fact, most of them do in college. I was buddies with my college's kicker and he was usually also the punter.

The reason pro teams don't do this is two fold:

1) There used to be more of an emphasis on coffin corner punting, so teams liked having a specialized punter. Nowadays teams hardly do that all, preferring instead to boot it out of the end zone.

2) You're really screwed if your one guy goes down. If you have a kicker and a punter, and one goes down, the other can usually fill in. But if you have a super kicker and he pulls a hammy on the opening kick off then you're sending Ethan Albright in for every extra point, field goal, kickoff, and punt. Yuch.

A lot of guys can do both; in fact, most of them do in college. I was buddies with my college's kicker and he was usually also the punter.

The reason pro teams don't do this is two fold:

1) There used to be more of an emphasis on coffin corner punting, so teams liked having a specialized punter. Nowadays teams hardly do that all, preferring instead to boot it out of the end zone.

2) You're really screwed if your one guy goes down. If you have a kicker and a punter, and one goes down, the other can usually fill in. But if you have a super kicker and he pulls a hammy on the opening kick off then you're sending Ethan Albright in for every extra point, field goal, kickoff, and punt. Yuch.

This is an interesting concept (particularly point #1).  I just don't understand why NFL teams would neglect what seems to be a crucial advantage in the Kicking Game.

A guy that can reliably coffin corner kick has to (indirectly) be worth what would amount to a Win over the course of a season.  Just imagine the advantage The Skins would have if our Punter could keep 2 out of 3 opponents burdened with poor field position 1/3 of the time.

Anyways, fascinating stuff.

Im still waiting for the day an athletic punter arrives on the scene. I cannot believe we dont see more punters with speed. With the gunners being covered on the outside and normally the guy setup to block is never going to dive at the kicker, any punter with speed youd think could easily race around the edge for an easy 10 yards. All that would be there would be lineman. A punter that is always a threat to run basically negates any punt block. The guys outside blocking the gunners would either have to peek into the backfield and get smoked or turn around and run leaving that side of the field wide open.

SkinsFanMania post #69: "Yes, but was injured all of last year."

How has he looked in this preseason?

He also had a contract paying Him the best apart of 4mil for the year I believe. The cheaper guy beat him out, but I'd be willing to bet if we cut the Cobra, the Bucs will take him in for a tryout in a heartbeat.

Archived