Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins cuts, plus cuts from all NFL teams (Seastrunk, Hocker, P. Thomas among cut)

Redskins sign Texas All-American to practice squad

The Redskins have added the son of a former longtime Cowboy to their practice squad.

Jackson Jeffcoat—a linebacker out of Texas and the son of Jim Jeffcoat—was signed to the 10-man practice squad on Tuesday, the team announced.

As a senior, Jackson Jeffcoat led the Longhorns in tackles (86), tackles for a loss (22), sacks (13) and quarterback pressures (19). He was a consensus All-American, the Big 12 defensive player of the year and claimed the Ted Hendricks Award as the nation’s top defensive end, the award Brian Orakpo captured in 2008. The elder Jeffcoat registered 102.5 sacks in 15 NFL seasons, 12 of which were spent in Dallas.

Jackson Jeffcoat (6-3, 253) was signed as a college free agent by the Seahawks in May and waived last week.

In addition to adding Jeffcoat, the Redskins also signed offensive lineman Braxston Cave to the practice squad. Cave (6-3, 305) spent last season on the Patriots’ practice squad.

To make room for Jeffcoat and Cave, the Redskins released center Tevita Stevens and linebacker Chaz Sutton from the practice squad. Sutton had been signed Monday.

So now I totally get it. After watching Silas Redd's interviewhttp://www.redskins.com/media-gallery/videos/Redd-I-Worked-Really-Hard-For-It-/11c81a20-e7e2-47c4-bb88-9dee1d61c797, I understand why he was the choice (in addition to the capabilities he showed on the field). What a total, motivated, class act.

Sometimes character is the deciding factor when talent is close...

I am glad we brought in a center. I just rewatched the Ravens game and Kory got abused pretty good by Williams? on one play. Sure it was only one play, but it was the level at which he got manhandled that stood out to me. I am keeping a close eye on the OL so don't read too much into my post. 

Sure this guy Cave is likely to never even play, but I for one am glad we are starting to rotate out backup OL that cannot crack the lineup. We draft all these guys over the past ~3 years and none can crack the lineup. 

Here's the NFL.com info on Braxton Cave.  Definitely sounds like an upgrade to Tevita with starting potential. A four year starter at Notre Dame is impressive.  Biggest weakness is his upper body strength but is quick and strikes second level LBs well.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/braxston-cave?id=2539977

Here's CBS Sports write-up (or lack there-of):

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1633103/braxston-cave

By Chris Tomasson

ctomasson@pioneerpress.com

The Vikings, who have just four safeties on the 53-man roster, beefed up that position Wednesday.

Minnesota signed to the practice squad Ahmad Dixon, a rookie from Baylor. To make room on the 10-man squad, the Vikings released tackle Mike Remmers.

Dixon was a seventh-round pick by Dallas last May before failing to make the team. Remmers, a second-year man, was with the Vikings as a rookie, but didn’t get into any games.

Follow Chris Tomasson at twitter.com/christomasson

According to Keim:

Cali do we have a thread dedicated to season-long weekly practices or something of that nature? Maybe a thread to update and keep track of injured players, who's practicing/not practicing, weekly game status for players on the weekly injured list, etc...

Cali do we have a thread dedicated to season-long weekly practices or something of that nature? Maybe a thread to update and keep track of injured players, who's practicing/not practicing, weekly game status for players on the weekly injured list, etc...

i was wondering the same thing.. haven't posted any tweets the last couple days cause seems there's no relevant thread

• 2 weeks later...

Archived