Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Another suspension could be coming for Meriweather (merged with article confirming it in post #133)

Smurf85

Well I saw the hit and I thought that he did lead with his shoulder. With that being said his track record will not help him here. It looks like we could lose him for the first couple of weeks. I for one think this could be a blow.

After Saturday night’s penalty for an illegal helmet-to-helmet hit on Ravens receiverTorrey Smith, some league insiders believe Meriweather will face another suspension.  One league source predicted that Meriweather will get a multi-game ban.

I tried to aim at his numbers,” Meriweather said after the game, via John Keim of ESPN.com.  “I kind of seen the pass go, and I went in and aimed low, and I hit him with my shoulder. I did everything my coaches taught me to do, and I got the flag.”

Whether he gets a fine or worse will be determined by the league office, subject to appeal.  Given the NFL’s system of progressive discipline, Meriweather’s one-game suspension in 2013 makes him susceptible to a multi-game suspension in 2014.

“I don’t know,” Meriweather said regarding whether further discipline is coming.  “That’s not for me to judge. That’s for the NFL. . . .  I’m trying to do what the NFL asked me after going through the offseason, and working on the things I need to work on, and the first chance I get, it seems like I failed.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/24/another-suspension-could-be-coming-for-meriweather/

I wasn't sure if you meant the Pierce hit or the Smith hit. Both were bad, and this guy's just going to keep playing this way until he's not on a team. His penchant for being a liability in this way almost negates his solid play otherwise. Here's hoping Thomas and Rambo can keep improving.

I do feel for some of these guys. Must suck to practice your whole life to be a pro and bring the big hits and be lauded for doing just what you are doing for most of your life, then somebody changes the rules. You have to try to unlearn habits that brought you to where you are today.

The NFL is morphing into something we may not recognize in another decade.

I wasn't sure if you meant the Pierce hit or the Smith hit. Both were bad, and this guy's just going to keep playing this way until he's not on a team. His penchant for being a liability in this way almost negates his solid play otherwise. Here's hoping Thomas and Rambo can keep improving.

I forgot about the Pierce hit and I'm sure that's not going to help matters. I really didn't think the Smith hit was all that bad. That Welker hit last night shouldn't have been a penalty either. The guy hit him in the head with his shoulder and Welker put his head down right into his shoulder. I really don't know what some of these guys can do anymore. 

I thought we stopped posting articles by these douche bags? Either way, I doubt he gets suspended smurf...

I agree they are douche bags, but it made for a easy copy and link. 

The hit on the WR, it looked like the WR was leaning forward or already falling over when meriweather finally made impact.  Brandon did try to go lower from what I saw.  I thought it was a ticky tack call.  The hit on the RB while maybe more viscious seemed perfectly legal.

Uhhh the hit on Pierce was beautiful. He's not a defenseless receiver and he hit him perfectly legally. Absolute beautiful play.

I posted this in the GHH thread (go there for the full post) but after looking at the hit on the WR over and over, I think he was going to the chest.

In fact he was going so low, if the receiver hadn't bent over, he might have hit him in the nuts.

He did drop his head, but I think he was trying to get low and at some point physics takes over and you can't keep your head up.

I haven't defended Merriweather in the past, but I think in this case even getting the flag, he got rogered, and if there's a fine or suspension, that's true injustice.

Agree with VoR. That was NOT a dirty hit, even though BM has definitely been guilty of it in the past. He hit him in the shoulder and wasn't going for the helmet. The RB dropped his head and there was slight incidental helmet to helmet contact. If the NFL reviews that play (which I also watched a bunch of times to be sure) and suspends him, it will be for no other reason than it is BM (or it is the Skins). It would be absolutely outrageous. 

Im liking our D, from what Ive seen so far.. Merriweather on the other hand continues to be a liability with those hits. I thought it was a head hit, but if replay shows otherwise, how can they fine/suspend him? The hit on Pierce was bad ass though, cause I don't think the same rules apply to rb's? But if the hit on the rx was a shoulder hit, good for him, he'll be vindicated via replay!

Im liking our D, from what Ive seen so far.. Merriweather on the other hand continues to be a liability with those hits. I thought it was a head hit, but if replay shows otherwise, how can they fine/suspend him? The hit on Pierce was bad ass though, cause I don't think the same rules apply to rb's? But if the hit on the rx was a shoulder hit, good for him, he'll be vindicated via replay!

Yeah that's my fault. I was thinking of the hit on the RB. The hit on the WR I think was more helmet to helmet but it was a sketchy call on the field because after watching that one in replay as well it really looked to me like he was legit trying to hit him in the chest and Smith just lowered himself like crazy. That's why this rule is getting so nuts. WRs know now that if a guy is coming to tackle them and they get low enough so the guy has almost no choice but to hit him helmet to helmet and boom...automatic 15 yards. I understand protecting the players but there has to be some sort of middle road. Its getting stupid.

That's the main issue.

Irrespective of yesterday's game, he continues to be a reckless liability. Yes, he's reigned it back some from early last year. But he still launches himself like an Exocet missile at guys in the main with little concern for any consequence. I love my defenders hitting the snot out of the opposition. This is football. But he takes that to an uncontrolled and often costly level for both player safety and to the detriment of his teammates in terms if penaltys and suspensions.

The dude is an uncontrolled liability.

Sadly, with the continued mess back there, for this year at least he's one of the few with experience we have so it is what it is.

Hail.

Archived