Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Another suspension could be coming for Meriweather (merged with article confirming it in post #133)

Smurf85

Suspended for playing football on a football field.

Meanwhile Ray Rice gets 4 games. For knocking his wife out cold, and drags her out of an elevator in a night club in vegas (or wherever it was).

No Fun League strikes again.

Rice got 2 games. Not 4

I posted the screen on the gameday thread, I cant believe these idiots are suspending him, you can see he led with his shoulder and did not make contact with the receivers head.

He very clearly makes contact with Smith's facemask with the crown of his helmet.

All he needs to do is keep is head up so he can see what he is hitting and lead with his arms.  I apologize to all the macho men here, but continuing to hit receivers in a manner that has been shown to cause brain damage resulting in suicide and early age dementia isn't manly at all.  He has many times the fines of any other safety - if everyone else can adjust, so can he.

here's a link to the hit he was suspended for...  since it's not a youtube vid, i can't imbed it directly...  just click the link and decide for yourself if the suspension was deserving...

https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/BC0BC6EEDE1115124383296671744_2c1ec4d1e6d.2.1.4924167087315162546.mp4?versionId=zKJB6pAJrtk9wxDW9nyxk4NDirLBEBew

Here's a different angle, plus the Pierce hit. http://www.fatmanwriting.com/2014/08/washington-redskins-db-brandon.html

Meanwhile Ray Rice gets 4 games. For knocking his wife out cold, and drags her out of an elevator in a night club in vegas (or wherever it was).

I'm sorry, but that really has nothing to do with anything. Are we really going to measure every on-field act that's punished against off-field crimes now? "10 yards for holding when so and so got a DUI last week?"

Both plays he can't see anything but feet before impact.  Penalty for both IMO.  I actually thought the pierce one was worse because he squared up on him, lowered his head and drove his head into him.  I'd like to see this called more strictly, but then cut the defenders a break by stopping the ticky-tack "touching" fouls. 

I don't think the rule applies to hitting a running back taking a handoff - although obviously in a one-on-one hit in open space like this it looks bad.

Looks like a bull**** suspension to me. He led with his shoulder. The helmet contact looked incidental, and happened do to forward momentum of Smith's head after contact.

But I guess nobody should bother tackling a WR who's QB leads him across the middle with a safety right in his face. We should let him catch it, and then gently pat him on the ass and say, "Good catch, sir!".

Looks like a bull**** suspension to me. He led with his shoulder. The helmet contact looked incidental, and happened do to forward momentum of Smith's head after contact.

From the backside angle, I'll agree, it looks like he led with his shoulder.  On the other hand, from the front side view, it looked like he lowered his head and led with it...  In any event, I'm sure all replays available were considered before coming down with the ruling.

Rambo had some 1st team reps at SS during camp, so let's hope he's ready if word comes down that Thomas won't be available..... 

But I guess nobody should bother tackling a WR who's QB leads him across the middle with a safety right in his face. We should let him catch it, and then gently pat him on the ass and say, "Good catch, sir!".

Just to be clear, because a lot of people seem to be confused about this, Meriweather was not suspended because this particular hit was so vicious that a fine wasn't a sufficient penalty.  The vast majority of safeties would only get a fine for this.  He is being suspended because he keeps adding to his league-leading body of work.  He will be suspended every time he hits a receiver in the head with his helmet.

Archived