Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Another suspension could be coming for Meriweather (merged with article confirming it in post #133)

Smurf85

Has The Grand Poobah Vincent handed down any other suspension or fines this preseason?

Suggs for kicking a defenseless player who is laying on the ground?

Suh for his hit on Henne? Wait, that hit happened in a game on Friday. So, Meriweather gets suspended for a hit in a game on Saturday and there's still no word on Suh? Huh? I'm shocked. 

I know there have been other penalties similar to Meriweather's this preseason. Where are the fines & suspensions Grand Poobah Vincent? 

dirty player gets suspended for dirty hit, fans of player defend him vehemently.

more at 11.

Meriweather has a track record of doing this. He's been told time and time again to stop doing it. He knows he's looked at more closely than anyone else. Yet he continues to do it.

Get rid of this guy already. He's a liability. We now have to go through two weeks with a 'backup' because we let this guy eat up all the offseason/preseason reps at starter and now he's unavailable because he's **yet again** suspended for not tackling correctly.

No one else in the league has this problem. Only this guy. Yet we continue to bring him back and act puzzled, confused, or like victims when the league suspends him yet again for the exact same thing.

i'll be so happy when I no longer have to cheer for this guy wearing the B&G. i can't stand cheering for dirty players.

I'm not sure people recognize the pressure that the league is, and will continue to be, under due to concussions.  There are now television advertisements and also banner advertisements at the top of this page for the following:

https://www.nflconcussionsettlement.com/

If the league does not change itself, it will be changed for them.  How can the league protect the business & the game?  They have to protect the players beyond anything else, especially wrt concussions. 

Call it "soft" or whatever else, but defenders have known for a long time they can not lower their head and/or drive head/shoulder into an offensive player's head.  Keep head up, wrap up the tackle and BM will be fine (no pun intended).  And for those saying, "there goes the knees", that's crazy.  There is about 3' of territory between most NFL players head & knees, so no need to tackle Andre Waters' style.

dirty player gets suspended for dirty hit, fans of player defend him vehemently.

more at 11.

Meriweather has a track record of doing this. He's been told time and time again to stop doing it. He knows he's looked at more closely than anyone else. Yet he continues to do it.

Get rid of this guy already. He's a liability. We now have to go through two weeks with a 'backup' because we let this guy eat up all the offseason/preseason reps at starter and now he's unavailable because he's **yet again** suspended for not tackling correctly.

No one else in the league has this problem. Only this guy. Yet we continue to bring him back and act puzzled, confused, or like victims when the league suspends him yet again for the exact same thing.

i'll be so happy when I no longer have to cheer for this guy wearing the B&G. i can't stand cheering for dirty players.

All I'm asking for is equal justice. Kicking a defenseless player on the ground. The same or different? Suh's hit on Henne - the same or different? I know there have been other plays like this this preseason.  

Let's see the suspension/fines for similar hits by other players. Where are they? 

More at 12...

Like they told Carrier, stick up your arms and go for the ball. It was funny to watch him clobber people with his arms in the air. And it failed.

Now they are saying he has to stick his arms out to wrap up, as he hits. Only problem I see there is, he will no longer lead with his shoulder, and will inevitably lead with his head. So stay upright, we will be told. Then helmets will once again collide. He is screwed at this point, his reputation has every single hit he does under an intense microscope. He literally will be not able to do anything more than dive at people's legs. He is not targeting hitting people in the head, but it does not matter. He is just trying to dislodge the ball.

I predict he will not be the only one suspended on our team this year. 

I still think if you take off the riddelculously oversized helmets, players will simply stop leading with their heads, and incidental hits to the head will decrease as well.  #BringBackLeather

dirty player gets suspended for dirty hit, fans of player the uniform he's wearing defend him vehemently.

I tweaked it a little.

If Meriweather had been on the Raven's, and it was Garcon's head, all we'd be hearing about is how the Ravens get away with murder (well...literally) and that its time Meriweather was suspended for life.

Meriweather is in a bad position because he gets suspended for hits that other players would get fined for.  Too bad, he put himself in that position.

Considering how tough the NFL is on repeat offenders in the drug policy, maybe Washington Redskins safety Brandon Meriweathershould feel lucky he got just a two-game suspension for his latest illegal hit.

A blast of  Baltimore Ravens receiver Torrey Smith in Wahsington's third preseason game was Meriweather's sixth violation of player safety rules. Not one, not two, not three ...

Last year, Meriweather was suspended two games for an illegal hit, but the suspension was reduced to one. And even after yet another violation, he got the same penalty that he got from his fifth go-around (although it's hard to believe this one will be reduced). He'll sit the first two games of this season (at Houston and vs. Jacksonville).

It's hard to say that a repeat violator of, say, the league's marijuana policy or someone who drinks alcohol after being in that program is more of a menace to the NFL than someone who consistently hits an opponent in the head, which is outlawed by the league as it tries to reduce concussions. But Meriweather will be back Week 3, and we'll see if he can avoid doing this for the seventh time.

click link for rest http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/washington-safety-brandon-meriweather-suspended-for-sixth-safety-violation-222959833.html

Ronnie Lott is an NFL hero.  If he played today, he would be a villain. The late Sean Taylor is worshiped by Redskins fans.  Meriweather plays the same tough brand of football, a style that was praised only a few short years ago.  Yet he is villified.  Times change.  He'll need to adjust his game - more than he already has - to overcome that villification. 

In the meantime, we have a guy coming back week 3 who opposing wide receivers may well fear.  From my selfish perspective... good.   

They might as well put flags on their belts and have done with it.

You can already call it flag football with all the yellow ones being thrown.

The BM hits are a big reason why I liked football. It is now becoming almost unwatchable with all the new rules and penalties.

This may be my last year with the National Flag League if it continues down this path.

For Meriweather or MustangSteve?

Meriweather. He has shown an inability to properly play the game and insists on going on to the field with the intention of severely and/or permanently injuring other players. He should receive a lifetime ban.

Ronnie Lott is an NFL hero.  If he played today, he would be a villain. The late Sean Taylor is worshiped by Redskins fans.  Meriweather plays the same tough brand of football, a style that was praised only a few short years ago.  Yet he is villified.  Times change.  He'll need to adjust his game - more than he already has - to overcome that villification. 

In the meantime, we have a guy coming back week 3 who opposing wide receivers may well fear.  From my selfish perspective... good.   

Ronnie Lott and Sean Taylor didn't play with the intention of trying to paralyze people or ruin their careers.

He has had YEARS to adjust to the NFL. He refuses to. In fact, he specifically stated that instead of adjusting to the new rules and learning proper tackling form, he's going to attempt to ruin other players' careers.

**Won't let me post the pictures but if you go to http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000383585/Meriweather-penalized-for-hit-on-Torrey-Smith then you can pause at the 2 points below:

-  Smith is upright (notice leg) after the catch and Meriweather has started his approach.  Would have been hit in mid-section/chest

-  Smith braces for the hit, drops down and is leaning forward.  Also look at the angle of Meriweathers back.  Hard to aim and hit high when it is almost parallel with the ground...

Meriweather. He has shown an inability to properly play the game and insists on going on to the field with the intention of severely and/or permanently injuring other players. He should receive a lifetime ban.

Ronnie Lott and Sean Taylor didn't play with the intention of trying to paralyze people or ruin their careers.

He has had YEARS to adjust to the NFL. He refuses to. In fact, he specifically stated that instead of adjusting to the new rules and learning proper tackling form, he's going to attempt to ruin other players' careers.

Ronnie Lott and Sean Taylor played with the intention of smashing wide receivers into next week.  Both of Meriweather's hits on Saturday would have been celebrated 5 years ago as good clean football. 

And your last statement is really a lie, taking a throwaway comment by Meriweather and twisting its meaning.

Why do people continue defending this jerk?

No matter whether we think the Leagues going soft or not, the rules are what they are today. And Merriweather both continues to flaunt them and has a VERY we'll deserved reputation that even when the hits are borderline but legal he's running a serious risk to his teammates in getting flagged and worse, suspended. But he refuses to tow the line and continues to launch himself and run the risk all ways around.

This isn't victimisation of a Redakin or pathetic rules it's about player safety and one who continues to have very little regard for that or the consequences to his team.

The sooner this thug is off this team the better.

Hail.

**Won't let me post the pictures but if you go to http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000383585/Meriweather-penalized-for-hit-on-Torrey-Smith then you can pause at the 2 points below:

-  Smith is upright (notice leg) after the catch and Meriweather has started his approach.  Would have been hit in mid-section/chest

-  Smith braces for the hit, drops down and is leaning forward.  Also look at the angle of Meriweathers back.  Hard to aim and hit high when it is almost parallel with the ground...

Unfortunately, the refs and, ultimately, NFL Operations, made their decision on the rules:

Rule 12, Section 2, Article 7 of the Official Playing Rules states that “t is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.” Article 7(a)(2) further explains that a player in a defenseless posture includes “[a] receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner.”

Meriweather’s actions violated Rule 12, Section 2, Article 7(B)(1), which prohibits the following contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture: “Forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, shoulder, even if the initial contact of the defender’s helmet or facemask is lower than the player’s neck, and regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him.”

Note 2 in Rule 12, Section 2, Article 7 imposes a strict liability on the defender in the exact situation that existed in this instance: “A player who initiates contact against a defenseless opponent is responsible for avoiding an illegal act. This includes illegal contact that may occur during the process of attempting to dislodge the ball from an opponent. A standard of strict liability applies for any contact against a defenseless opponent, even if the opponent is an airborne player who is returning to the ground or whose body position is otherwise in motion, and irrespective of any acts by the defenseless opponent, such as ducking his head or curling up his body in anticipation of contact.

Why do people continue defending this jerk?

No matter whether we think the Leagues going soft or not, the rules are what they are today. And Merriweather both continues to flaunt them and has a VERY we'll deserved reputation that even when the hits are borderline but legal he's running a serious risk to his teammates. Buy he refuses to tow the line an continues to launch himself and run the risk all ways around.

This isn't victimisation of a Redakin or pathetic rules it's about player safety and one who continues to have very little regard for that or the consequences to his team.

The sooner this thug is off this team the better.

Hail.

Well said by a soccer fan.

Ronnie Lott is an NFL hero. If he played today, he would be a villain. The late Sean Taylor is worshiped by Redskins fans. Meriweather plays the same tough brand of football, a style that was praised only a few short years ago. Yet he is villified. Times change. He'll need to adjust his game - more than he already has - to overcome that villification.

Time also clouds memories. Sean was cleaning up his play toward the end, but he had a ton of pf/roughness penalties. Granted they were "only" 15 yard penalties and not suspensions, but I don't think we were praising those at the time. We were talking about how he needed to play smarter.

Ronnie Lott and Sean Taylor played with the intention of smashing wide receivers into next week.  Both of Meriweather's hits on Saturday would have been celebrated 5 years ago as good clean football. 

And your last statement is really a lie, taking a throwaway comment by Meriweather and twisting its meaning.

He said it. He's shown it with his actions. He should not be in the league.

Archived