Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

For longstanding Redskins fans, is the thrill gone?

HogHeaven1983

I think that it's silly to go to a Redskins fan site, where everyone who could possibly read your question is a Redskins fan, and ask if the thrill is gone.

That's like going to a nudist colony and asking, "So, maybe it's pants time?"

or... let's go for the layered look!

I temper expectations...try to be realistic with all of the changes that have taken place(again), but I finally reached the point in the year where I have some optimism. Last season is a hard one to bounce back from...thrill was definitely gone..gut wrenching, pretty disgusting. Apathy has finally left after lingering like a huge cloud. That Chiefs game. smh.  Cautious, but hopeful. Hail! always. 

That's how I feel. Every season, and preseason, starts with excitement. It's not until a few weeks into the season when my enthusiasm dies, but it doesn't happen every season, just seasons where you can tell 100% that nothing is going to help (like Zorn's 2nd year where, after WINNING in St Louis, I knew the rest of the season was going to be terrible).

Funny about your dream. I still have dreams about 3-4 times a year that I'm playing for the Skins and we're running through drills at practice. The best ******* feeling in the world to wake up after catching passes for Griffin and scoring TDs.

HogHeaven, I will say I think this season feels different because there's no hype around this team at all, unlike the year we hired Schottenheimer, or the year we hired Spurrier, or the year we hired Gibbs (again), or the year we hired Shanahan. Even the year we hired Zorn had tons of attention because the hiring process was such a disaster. This year, the team is mostly ignored and no one thinks they'll be good. So, who knows. Maybe that's more what the team needs.

I'm excited for this year, it's next year (after we have a good-great season) that I'm dreading. I hate the years the national media pays attention to our football team. Let them debate a name change, as long as they leave our coaches and players alone.

The game that we won against the rams 9-7 was at FedEx field. Not in St. Louis. But yeah that was the most boring win ever

It just seems this year there are no excuses, meaning no salary cap stuff, no personnel messes, internal struggles, coaching b.s., inadequacies on the D.  On the contrary we have some good key players, even a few great ones, and I think we have a coach that is not too old or out of touch with the players of this generation.  I think you need that.  Plus Gruden I think has something to prove himself in a league that never believed nor gave him a chance at QB.   And Jackson has a chip on his shoulders and RG3 has something to prove and a few other guys. 

Personally I think we needed a coach who is of this time and of this era. Shanny and many of the other coaches we have had were simply out of touch with the players of this generation, and you need that I think.   I have deep respect for Coach Gibbs and am thankful for everything he did for this organization but I never saw so many technical errors during games and I found myself constantly questioning personnel choices during Gibbs 2.  Yet when Sean Taylor was killed it was Joe Gibbs that rallied the team and the respect the team had for Gibbs came through and it propelled them into the playoffs.  

This year just feels different on so many levels and we have reasonable talent to compete.  So I am very excited. 

Don't believe you. You're still here. That means that somewhere deep within there's an ember aglow.

Maybe so. I haven't missed a game in 20 years, and I'm not going to start missing them now. I have loved this team all my life, and like any true love, it is forever and for better or worse.

That said, I still doubt we will ever be good, and if we are good, then it will all come crashing down through some terrible misfortune. Sports fans are a superstitious sort, and I'm no exception. I believe we are cursed. It seems like whenever we turn the corner something bad happens.

I wouldn't say I've lost interest, but I have lost hope. I expect the worst.

This.

Hard to even remember the days when you expected a win no matter who they were playing, and a loss really stung.

Now it's almost a game within a game wondering in what form the dysfunction on the field will appear and waiting for it to happen.

I have been a Redskins fan since Vince Lombardi's 7-5-2 year in 1969.  Other than the years I was away from the DC area in my college years, I have watched every single freaking game.

The past 20 years have been mostly heartache and disappointment (except for a few seasons ... 1999, Gibbs2, and 2012).

I heard a radio call in program this past week asking how many "do overs" can you stand as a fan.  They were saying there have been 11 start over years in the past 22 seasons.  When the skins cleaned house and started again. 

I dont know about anyone else, but I feel like my passion has died (esp after last season).  

Are other fans having a hard time getting excited about the prospect of another new coaching staff and another start over?  

I mean I am sure I will watch the games, but I just dont have the passion that I used to.  Am I alone in thinking this way?

Have all these start over seasons taken a toll on anyone else?

I hear you. I used to punch things when we lost. Nowadays I just shake my head and say "we suck". Which we do, consistently

I think part of it is the franchise and part of it is getting older and realizing how dumb caring deeply about football really is

I still get excited to watch the team play. I have probably missed 5 games in the last 15 years. I have gone to great lengths to watch them at times and engaged in many arguments. When they win I'm irrationally happy and it hurts when they lose. I doubt that this will ever change.

What has changed is I don't trust Dan Snyder at all and I won't believe this team finally got it right until they win make the playoffs two consecutive years with a sustainable team. I will watch and cheer and rage at the injustice of losing, but I will not trust that Snyder has found the winning formula until after it's been proven. My expectations are stuck on low.

This is pretty close to where I am

Can't blame anyone for feeling the way you do OP. The fans have done their job by supporting this team and having it become a top 5 team in value despite performing closer to the bottom 5. We did our part now It's on the team to produce in order to bring back that passion.

Anybody who returns to this board following a 3-13 season is still seeking that thrill. A thrill which is definitely not gone. The optimism may not be as high as it was in the off-seasons of Gibbs 1.0, or the year 2000, but the thrill is definitely still present. We enjoyed the high of that thrill in 2012, and we'll get another taste of it before opening day in Sept. The name controversy is tiring, but it's not enough to dampen my excitement for B&G football. Hail!

Nah! The thrill is not gone. It's dormant until the team challenges for another Super Bowl.

Fan since '62. The Redskins were 5-7-2, 4th in the Eastern Conference behind Norm Snead's passing and Bobby Mitchell's astounding performance. THAT was a thrill.

Personally, the off-season I feel more "eh-eh" feeling because it's all hype through actions in which are unknown results on the field. We got Andre Robert's and DeSean Jackson in the off-season. They're amazing assets that COULD prove to be a catapult to launch our offense into a serious threat.

We shored up some glaring holes in defense but just like before it COULD prove to be worth the upgrades. I'm excited but during the off-season, the thrill isn't anywhere near the same as it is on game day, especially season opener.

Once we get into September, then I am sure everyone's thrill levels will grow and we will be back to insurmountable levels of excitement, well, at least for me.

Many may be shaken because of last season because we didn't expect that bad, maybe some growing pains with Griffin's knee, but nothing of that much of a funk. Levels may be tempered but will explode come game day!  

I still follow moves and such in the offseason, get excited about the team in general.  The only difference is I don't go out of my way to watch games like I did 20 years ago.  20 years ago I used to alter any personal or work schedule to watch every game.  If I missed one I made sure to get recording of it to watch.  Now I pretty much just watch primetime games or occasionally, NFC East games if my Sunday is free.  When we start to drop significantly under 500 for the latter half of the season, like we did last year, I pretty much just occasionally keep up on the internet.  I don't think I saw any of the last six games last year, whereas in 1994, the year Petibone was coach when we had a comparably bad year, I still adamantly watched every game.

The thrill isn't gone for me, but it's much different. I was a child during our glory years of the 1980s (ages 5-16 before Gibbs retired). That era and those teams were heroic to me. I'm in my 30s now and the players are kids to me. 

So, I still get butterflies on Sundays and love watching the Skins. I still live and die with the results of their games. But it's not quite as magical as it was when I was younger. Granted, I'm not sure that has anything to do with the dark decades of the 1990s and 2000s rather than just being more a byproduct of growing up.

If I do ever witness another championship season, I'll be curious to see how it stacks up to the unbridled excitement I had in 1987 and 1991 (I just remember snapshots of 1982). On one hand, I'll appreciate it much more, but on the other hand I might have to quickly compartmentalize it so that I can drive my daughter to ballet or go pitch to my son. I really hope to get that comparison soon! 

Anybody who returns to this board following a 3-13 season is still seeking that thrill. A thrill which is definitely not gone. The optimism may not be as high as it was in the off-seasons of Gibbs 1.0, or the year 2000, but the thrill is definitely still present. We enjoyed the high of that thrill in 2012, and we'll get another taste of it before opening day in Sept. The name controversy is tiring, but it's not enough to dampen my excitement for B&G football. Hail!

The 1991 season was not as thrilling as the 2012 season to me.  In 1991, I was EXPECTING us to at least go deep into the playoffs with a strong SB possibility.  In 2012, I only EXPECTED us to be in the mix in December at best (likely finishing 8-8 or 7-9 just out of the playoffs) not actually winning the division.  Coming off a 3-13 season, just being relevant in December would be meeting my highest expectations so if we actually get to the playoffs (even just round 1), that would be thrilling.  Lowered expectations is much more appropriate.

The thrill is... dormant, for lack of a better word.. Not because of the players or the losing records. 

It's the name controversy and the slowly-dawning realization that Dan Snyder will probably never field a winner.    :(

The thrill will never go! I love seeing the team take the field and always get excited to see our B&G play - irrationally excited I might add (this is one of the things that turns this old guy into a kid again, albeit briefly).

BUT, the expectation is we will find ways to lose.

In summary, the thrill remains but the confidence is gone.

Archived