Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

For longstanding Redskins fans, is the thrill gone?

HogHeaven1983

I have been a Redskins fan since Vince Lombardi's 7-5-2 year in 1969.  Other than the years I was away from the DC area in my college years, I have watched every single freaking game.

The past 20 years have been mostly heartache and disappointment (except for a few seasons ... 1999, Gibbs2, and 2012).

I heard a radio call in program this past week asking how many "do overs" can you stand as a fan.  They were saying there have been 11 start over years in the past 22 seasons.  When the skins cleaned house and started again. 

I dont know about anyone else, but I feel like my passion has died (esp after last season).  

Are other fans having a hard time getting excited about the prospect of another new coaching staff and another start over?  

I mean I am sure I will watch the games, but I just dont have the passion that I used to.  Am I alone in thinking this way?

Have all these start over seasons taken a toll on anyone else?

Redskins football is my passion when it comes to sports.  I've been watching since I was 5 years old, granted at the time, it wasn't my favorite sport (baseball and basketball were), but I've always been a fan and on Sundays, my dad always had the games on.  I got more into it as I got a little older and did enjoy the glory years.  I was in high school when we won our last Super Bowl, which was cool.

I haven't lost any passion and I'll continue to do what I do every year, watch religiously and pay to do so (I live in Charlotte, so I have to get the NFL Ticket cause of the Panthers).  Hell, I pay the $20 or whatever it is every year on NFL.com to get the pre-season games :)

Because of the product on the field the past 20 years, I find myself not getting as upset visibly, yelling less at the TV, etc.  Especially at that point in the season when we know that we are not making the playoffs.  I don't waste as much energy getting mad about it, though deep down, it bothers the **** out of me.  A lot of that could be a combination of getting older, having a 6 year old daughter (not acting like a fool in front of her lol) and the fact while it's unacceptable to the standards we hold the team to, it continues to happen almost every season and has become the norm.  

I still get excited for free agency, excited for the draft (with exception of the past two years - not having a 1st round pick), get pumped for pre-season and on game day I can't wait for the whistle to blow and the game get started.

Another thing I was thinking about is if you're a fan of other sports that have teams in a similar slump, it makes it worse as far as anger goes.  You have another sports team that wins a championship or is a legit threat, etc. it helps ease the pain.  

Archived