Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DFP - Westboro Church Founder Near Death - Official ES Fred Phelps Death Watch

Dan T.

Detroit Free Press - Fred Phelps, the 84-year-old driving force behind the Westboro Baptist Church, is reportedly in hospice care and “on the edge of death” in Kansas, his estranged son says in a Facebook post. Nate Phelps also claims that the elder Phelps was ex-communicated by his own church last year. “Terribly ironic that his devotion to his god ends this way,” wrote the younger Phelps, who left the church in 1980. “Destroyed by the monster he made.”

A second estranged son, Mark, tells the Topeka Capital-Journal that the news “is accurate.”

A Westboro spokesman confirms that the elder Phelps is in hospice care with “a couple things going on,” but that “the source that says he’s near death is not well informed.”

Anti-gay Westboro Baptist Church is known for protesting high-profile funerals.

Continues Nate Phelps’ post: “I feel sad for all the hurt he’s caused so many. I feel sad for those who will lose the grandfather and father they loved. And I’m bitterly angry that my family is blocking the family members who left from seeing him, and saying their good-byes.”

http://www.freep.com/article/20140317/NEWS07/303170084/westboro-baptist-church-fred-phelps

Should be an interesting meeting when Fred finally meets his Maker.

Can we encourage a very, loud, proud, and flamboyant protest outside his hospice location (home?) and at his funeral? Carrying signs saying God hates bigots?

I think it would be appropriate....

Instead of a protest to mirror theirs, you should get a bunch of gays to make very public displays of affection there.

Some people leave the world a better place because of their actions in life.  People like him leave the world a better place because they died. 

I wouldn't support a protest of his funeral, because that's ugly and horrible and tasteless no matter who it is.  We shouldn't be looking for excuses to stoop down to the level of the worst of our kind.

But I won't shed a tear for him.  That's for sure.

Can we encourage a very, loud, proud, and flamboyant protest outside his hospice location (home?) and at his funeral? Carrying signs saying God hates bigots?

I think it would be appropriate....

I don't want to lower myself to their level.  

What a ****ing senseless dimwit this guy was. Ultra stupid. At least most stupid people know to stfu and hang out behind the gas station. This guy had to let everyone know that he fell so hard for the religion con, that he lead the charge on it's douchebaggery. Why not just walk the streets all day yelling, "I'm a ****ing idiot!"? Take the hardline approach.

I'm with Goal Line above.  If there is any justice in this world there will be a mass demonstration at his funeral.  

I disagree. This guy made a living off of breeding hate amongst people and I have a feeling that this kind of vitriol is what these sicko's feed off of.  The best thing any of us can do is help them disappear.

What a ****ing senseless dimwit this guy was. Ultra stupid. At least most stupid people know to stfu and hang out behind the gas station. This guy had to let everyone know that he fell so hard for the religion con, that he lead the charge on it's douchebaggery. Why not just walk the streets all day yelling, "I'm a ****ing idiot!"? Take the hardline approach.

Some of what I read about his life is a bit surprising.  He was an attorney in the 1960s and took on civil rights cases in Kansas to fight Jim Crow laws.  

From Wiki:

"I systematically brought down the Jim Crow laws of this town," he claims. Phelps' daughter was quoted as saying, "We took on the Jim Crow establishment, and Kansas did not take that sitting down. They used to shoot our car windows out, screaming we were "n-word" lovers," and that the Phelps law firm made up one-third of the state's federal docket of civil rights cases.

Phelps took cases on behalf of African-American clients alleging racial discrimination by school systems, and a predominantly black American Legion post which had been raided by police, alleging racially based police abuse.

In the 1980s, Phelps received awards from the Greater Kansas City Chapter of Blacks in Government and the Bonner Springs branch of the NAACP, for his work on behalf of black clients.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Phelps

Then things went south.  He was disbarred after a bizarre personal vendetta he waged in court against a female court reporter.

With Westboro, he seems to have stumbled upon a business model whereby, using religion as a pretext, he would do such outrageous things to enrage people that they would react in bad ways so that he could sue them for damages.  The lack of empathy for the people he and his "church" hurt is appalling. So I would say he's not so much stupid as amoral, unChristian-like and, maybe even sociopathic.

Okay, so you think he's way more a con artist than an actual idiot who believes all that **** he preaches? I can see that. The people who follow his word are boneheads, but he's still a senseless peace of absolute dog ****. To decide to go about life in that fashion is idiotic in itself. You can have all the straight A's you want. School doesn't teach common sense.

Okay, so you think he's way more a con artist than an actual idiot who believes all that **** he preaches? I can see that. The people who follow his word are boneheads, but he's still a senseless peace of absolute dog ****. To decide to go about life in that fashion is idiotic in itself. You can have all the straight A's you want. School doesn't teach common sense.

Yeah, he's a pretty scuzzy guy.  Think of all the heartbreak he's caused among grieving families.  Atrocious.

Yeah, I can't get on board with the idea of mass "revenge" demonstrations. All of that would just confirm (at least, in the mind of his ilk) that he was right. You wanna throw WBC for a loop? Do what the Christ he claimed to worship mandated: turn the other cheek.

It's a shame, though. Phelps started his career as a vocal advocate for civil rights as a lawyer. He could have been something really great. 

The people who follow his words are mostly family members and are probably in on and profit from his scheme... Their MO is to coax groups they know are sensitive (gays during gay pride parades, grieving families during a funeral, college students the day after a school shooting, etc.) to react violently to their heckling. Then they sue for "damages." It's a money making business.

The people who follow his words are mostly family members and are probably in on and profit from his scheme... Their MO is to coax groups they know are sensitive (gays during gay pride parades, grieving families during a funeral, college students the day after a school shooting, etc.) to react violently to their heckling. Then they sue for "damages." It's a money making business.

So it ISN'T a religious brainwashing motivating them? They're just going around instigating confrontations on subseptible people because they make money on damages?

They make enough money doing that? They win a lot of cases? What is the loophole they're using?

Sorry for all the questions.

Archived