Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DFP - Westboro Church Founder Near Death - Official ES Fred Phelps Death Watch

Dan T.

i admit, i get pretty mentally worn out, whether its a woman filming her abortion, or fred phelps screaming 'god hates fags'.

people are just freaking crazy. its that simple. my faith in humanity in this internet age is tested on a daily basis. 

but sometimes you wake up to good news.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/07/zach-phelps-roper-westboro-baptist-church_n_5280491.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Another Westboro Baptist Church member has left the hate church -- Zach Phelps-Roper, age 23. The grandson of Fred Phelps is the fourth Phelps-Roper sibling to reject WBC's tactics of hate preaching and picketing, according to an interview he gave to the Topeka Capital-Journal.

"I believe that empathy and unconditional love are what is absolutely necessary for us to free ourselves and each other from mind traps and from the many problems that are plaguing our society," he said.

I assume that without Fred's weird power to hold that family/cult together, this "church" will be down to 10 or so true believers pretty quickly.

As I always point out, it's not a church so much as a large family business. It's a family with a bunch of lawyers who support themselves by suing people who interrupt their obnoxious protests. And Fred Phelps kept that family united through whatever power he held. That's gone and I imagine a lot of his children, grandchildren, etc are going to bail now.

people are just freaking crazy. its that simple. my faith in humanity in this internet age is tested on a daily basis. 

I remember the pre-Internet days well enough, relying on T.V., the newspaper, and the library.  The Internet has been a massive step forward in terms of convenience, but you're right, sometimes it was nicer being insulated from a majority of the crazy in the country.

While good news, what would make it better would be "Fred Phelps is near death because his family Winnebago is stuck on the railroad tracks and the 4:15 Express is about to kill the lot of them."

~Bang

O'Doyle rules! O'Doyle rules!

Archived