Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

so how optimistic are you about next season?

RED_DREADS

I'm not going to predict record (at least not until all the hiring, signing and drafting are done and we look at a pre-season roster.)

However, the question is "How optimistic am I about next season?":

I am pretty optimistic.  Shanahan and the cap penalty are gone.  RG3 has the opportunity to have a full off season to get to form. And there are some quality people on the roster.

I know there are numerous holes on the roster, but hopefully these are also opportunities for improvement. 

Hey, what can I say ... I'm a fan.

Now, if the question was' How realistic am I about next season?"  That answer would not sound so rosy.

:) The Rook

1) I don't expect a historically bad special teams

2) I expect the defense to be more consistent (they did score a lot of defensive TDs and were hurt by #1 above)

3) I expect our oline to get heavier and hopefully better at pass protection

4) With online improvement, it will be all about QB play.  I believe we have one of the best QBs in the league, certainly the best in the NFC East, so I expect us to be fighting for 1st place in the division.

I've never been the type for unrealistic expectations. I call it like I see it. Right now I see a team that has some talent offensively, but is bad in the trenches, and has a bad (and yet strangely unknown at the same time) bottom portion of the roster.

How much of it was due to absolutely ****ty coaching circumstances and how much of it was ****ty players is anyones guess. Speaking for myself, I just want to see them compete at a high level. They couldn't even do that last year. Every game they were playing from behind almost immediately. That just can't happen.

Haslett coming back doesn't have me all that optimistic, but I'm hoping that the offense and special teams get things together to protect that weakness a little better though. Even with as much money as the team has going into the offseason, you can only do so much in one year acquisition wise. So while the Gruden hire has me excited for the offense, and Griffin, I'll wait and see when it comes to all 3 phases, and overall team management.

Stranger things have happened, and can happen, and I think that things can turn around quickly, but for right now, I am expecting a competitive, but 6-10/8-8 football team.

I`ve heard all the rights things. I`ve heard all the wrong things. I`m done with everything except what happens between the lines on Sundays. Just win. Win. No talking from anybody. Put the microphones down. Until you win, you don`t have anything worth saying that anybody needs to hear.

I have no expectations for this team. This team has found virtually every single way to lose a football game imaginable. Until they start winning CONSISTENTLY, you are what are you. It`s going to take at least 4-5 consecutive seasons of winning seasons before the stench of losing can *begin* to dissipate from this franchise. But this is a loser franchise right now... make no mistake.

It can change. It will change -- I have no doubt. But until it happens, I`m done talking about it. I don`t care about coaching searches or drafts or FA... just win. I`ve seen every franchise win just about every which way. There`s no magic formula. Just win already.

This should be the cover page for Redskins.com.

Edit- And actually, Die Hard- I have my doubts.

At this point, I'm just ehh.

I always believe in the "new year, new chance" spiel but I'm getting to the point where I am just expecting to be let down

But yes, the Redskins are a loser franchise. A few sprint finishes to the postseason don't change that. 

It's going to take a lot to change that. Even the RGIII-driven excitement is dying down within the fan base...

For the ppl on the 3-5 year tick, RGIII doesn't have that much time. IMO, he has like 1-2 years left to take that step before the bust label comes out. This team really needs to win like right now but they aren't set up to

Im not that optimistic.  I would so like to be, but Ive been duped too many years.  Instead, the Redskins managed to not fix the ONE area of the team that has been horrendous in years past.  If the definition of insanity is continuing to try the same thing over and over again expecting different results, than the redskins FO is insane, and it shows that Bruce Allen isnt who we hoped he was :-(.  RG3 will need to have one heck of a year.

To paraphrase Ray Liotta in Goodfellas: "**** you, show me."

Hired Jay Gruden? Pumping up Wunderkind Sean McVay? **** you, show me. Pin defensive woes on Shanahan interfering? Have umpteen million in cap space? **** you, show me.

Best post of the off-season so far!!

The only thing I can hope for is that RGIII comes back to rookie year form and he, Morris, Garcon & Reed can lead an offense that puts up between 32 & 40 points a game because I have zero faith in the defense stopping anyone no matter who they draft or what free agents they sign.

Anybody remember the 2012 KC Chiefs?  Yep, 2-14.

I was at the game this past season when the Chiefs trashed us and ended up in the playoffs. 

We lost many games last season by 8 points or less and I point most of our woes to the worst Special Teams unit in our history and a Defense that just couldn't make the key tackle to get off the field on third and long.  I don't know how many times we had teams 3rd and long only to give up a big play that allowed our opponents to extend their drives and utlimately help them to win games against us.

I guess I'm a glass half full guy....a healthy RGIII with a new coach and fresh start (along with Morris, Garcon, TW, Reed and other young talent) and with some new faces in the secondary, OL, ILB and depth for the Special Teams.....we should be playoff worthy next year.  The following year we should be able to go deep into the playoffs. 

Yes, a lot of holes to fill, but we do have great players on this team already here to build around.

Hail!

Get real people ...  our OL sucks, RG3 sucks, our D sucks, our Special Teams suck ...

Best case outcome with a bit of luck is 4-12 ... Most likely outcome is 2-14.  The real question is which 2 teams can we possibly beat?  Maybe the refs will give us a couple of gift wins.

In any case, we are definitely locked in last place in the NFC East ... AGAIN.  You can bet your house on that outcome.

The silver lining is we get to keep our first rounder in 2015 ... the bad news is the Redskins front office sucks and will blow that pick.  Who knows, we might end up trading our #1 pick for some washed up 35 year old player.  Is Donovan McNabb or Jason Taylor still around?

Get real people ...  our OL sucks, RG3 sucks, our D sucks, our Special Teams suck ...

Best case outcome with a bit of luck is 4-12 ... Most likely outcome is 2-14.  The real question is which 2 teams can we possibly beat?  Maybe the refs will give us a couple of gift wins.

In any case, we are definitely locked in last place in the NFC East ... AGAIN.  You can bet your house on that outcome.

The silver lining is we get to keep our first rounder in 2015 ... the bad news is the Redskins front office sucks and will blow that pick.  Who knows, we might end up trading our #1 pick for some washed up 35 year old player.  Is Donovan McNabb or Jason Taylor still around?

I'm thinking you're not a glass half full guy?

I'm neither optimistic or pessimistic. I'm realistic. New HC. New subordinate coaches. New scheme. New players. This is the same thing we've seen for 2 decades. Until we put back-to-back winning seasons together & see a legitimate change in the culture of the team we must assume that it'll be the same thing we've seen over the last 20+ years. To have blind faith is up to you as a fan, whatever lets you sleep at night. However, my advice to you & to all Redskins fans is to expect more of the same (or the worst if you will) & hope for the best.

HTTR!!!  

Get real.  Our division is turrible (love some Barkley); the Giants on a down trend, the Cowboys are 30+ million over the cap and will not improve through free agency.  The Eagles?  We will see if they can sustain. RG3 does not suck and cannot believe so many have forgotten the previous year.  We are young and talented in some key areas and unlike the 'Boys, will be able to add some quality free agents this year.  I don't know how we will do next year but we will be in the NFC East race as much as anyone. I am an old fan and have seen it all since George Allen. Our "sucky" front office gave us RG3, The Butler, Jordan Reed, and Silverback.  I am not worried about them blowing a pick.  Good grief, give it a chance.  Wow.  HTTR 

Archived