Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

so how optimistic are you about next season?

RED_DREADS

Well im 29 and ive watched the skins since i was 7. To be honest this year really opened my eyes. I dont expect much from this team.

Its the same thing every year. Bring in expensive free agents and pump up the draft. Then take a nice stinky S@@@ when they start playing football.

So yeah i pretty much expect the same thing this year.

We have a beginner at HC relying mostly on his buddy DC to run the team (Link from Sal_). A yesman GM. An owner who wants to win with his supposedly full controlling HC failure, and as a reaction he might go back to his knee-jerking habits. No first round draft pick.

We have a good cap space to work with, we can let AJ Smith have final say on the draft.

Overall I'm pessimistic, I should say with a 3-13 record we have more chances to improve rather than getting worst. Good luck.

Next year is going to be ugly with the schedule we have. You will also have to account for new language in the offensive scheme (probably not as much on defensive scheme, since haslett remains). It is really hard to judge what our personnel will look like next year (after draft and supposed aggressive free agency), but there are a ton of holes to fill on offense and defense that will take 2-3 years to address. Stay patient over the next couple years, because we could see some ugly games during this period of time while the team figures out exactly how to use RG3 and personnel replacements.

I expect that the offensive schemes will grow and shift as both Jay and McVay collaborate over the next 2-5 years.

To paraphrase Ray Liotta in Goodfellas: "**** you, show me."

Hired Jay Gruden? Pumping up Wunderkind Sean McVay? **** you, show me. Pin defensive woes on Shanahan interfering? Have umpteen million in cap space? **** you, show me.

My sentiments exactly. 

Hard to be optimistic. Hired a bunch of coaches that at best make me yawn. That doesn't mean they won't end up being good. But would have to go with Riggo's statement. Just showing up for games we should be able to top 3-13. I wouldn't say that means anything though. 13-3 ok, might mean something. 6-10, 7-9,8-8 is meaningless. Parity in the league should allow about any team to accomplish that in a given year.

Im predicting a Top 5 pick this upcoming year. The offense will get better but I just don't see the defense being any good with still way too many holes to fill. For as good as the numbers were last year for the offense even with fixing the Oline there is still only so much to gain. The defense still needs 4-6 new starters.

Plus you add in the brutal schedule next year and its not looking pretty.

I am from Maryland but because of our history my mind thinks like Missouri (or Ray Liotta) **** you, show me. Talk the the talk and walk the walk. We need to talk less and walk more. Tired of all the off season hype. It does not even get me excited anymore. Like a kid on the street talking trash, I look over and then just keep walking by. Sad. I am such a die hard fan, but I have grown callous in my old age.

I apologized to my 16 year old son the other day for making him a Redskins fan. He has never seen what some of us have seen. I feel bad for him. He is young and still has much faith, but he is not blind either.

Glad to see you didn't get scared off.  lol

I have to wait until FA and the draft before I get excited about anything or really start dissecting the team.  I think, if we can get a solid WR (Eric Decker or someone like that, or James Jones if we don't have another option) and FS (Jairus Byrd, Kendrick Lewis, or Mike Mitchell) in FA, resign our key guys, and pick up a great RT or RG in the draft, we're in a much better spot.

There are lots of solid guys in FA this year, but not as many stars.  I think I'd like to see the Skins keep going for those guys who are good, but not amazing yet, sign them for a little cheaper than the big names (though Decker and Byrd are probably the two biggest names in their positions on the market), and pick up solid pieces in the draft who can contribute immediately (like a 2nd round guard, RT, or center).

I am going to reserve my outlook like jflow78 here. If we do some intelligent things in FA I will be feeling more positive than I do right now.

If we don't trade away our first tow picks and take the best available RT and WR with the high round picks we have my optimism will continue to grow

Depending on just how well recovered and how well our IR players like Keenan Robinson and Phillip Thomas are and how they produce in OTA and training camp that will help me be more optimistic or negative.

Overall I am hopeful right now, but reserved.

I'm taking this literally, as in we get back to mediocrity at 8-8.

It was both a joke AND how I really feel.

Every year I see our fans say these two things:

Our schedule is "Brutal"

We have "Tons" of holes to fill.

Disagree with both this year. I actually think this year's schedule is easier than last year. The AFC South is weaker then the AFC West. The NFC West is stronger than the NFC North, but before this year, all four teams were in playoff contention the year before. Plus, we trade first place Atlanta for last place TB and first place SF for last place St. Louis. Do I think the schedule is easy? No. But, I do think it's "easier" than last year.

Every team has holes to fill every year. We still have a good base of players. They may not be all pros, but it's not like we'll need 15 draft picks to rehaul the roster. We have had 21 draft picks in the last 2 years and we have 6 more this year. That's 27 picks in what is usually 21 over a 3 year period. We have money to re-sign our players and be able to sign some guys to fill in what we don't draft. If they go after free agents that 1) fit the system, 2) are between 25-29 yrs old and 3) don't overpay for them, I think we'll be fine.

I'm optimistic that we'll be better than we were last year lol, not saying a whole lot. RG3 will have a full offseason so I'm expecting him to return to form. Keeping my fingers crossed with the D, not sure what to expect as of this moment. I'll have to see how free agency and the draft pans out.

Archived