Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Umm About that Cap Penalty

DubMoney

I don't think there's any way the Skins get any kind of "related to football" restitution for the penalty. 

But it wouldn't break my heard a bit, if the NFL git hit with really severe penalties, and if they all know that they would have gotten away with it, if they hadn't had the arrogance to actually, publicly, punish the Redskins for violating a rule which was a federal felony to create. 

I'd like to see karma bite em in the Philly. 

Personally i think the skins and cowboys were named defendants with the hope that they make a deal and tell what they know. At least this should take the spotlight off the name change. Surely this is a much bigger issue than a name right?

If the Skins rat on their fellow owners then it's a huge rift.  The league will have it in for them, until Dan sells the team, at least. 

I don't think there's any way the Skins get any kind of "related to football" restitution for the penalty.

But it wouldn't break my heard a bit, if the NFL git hit with really severe penalties, and if they all know that they would have gotten away with it, if they hadn't had the arrogance to actually, publicly, punish the Redskins for violating a rule which was a federal felony to create.

I'd like to see karma bite em in the Philly.

If the Skins rat on their fellow owners then it's a huge rift. The league will have it in for them, until Dan sells the team, at least.

They seem to hate and disrepect Dan anyways seeing how they hit us with the penalty to begin with, i dont see what he has to lose.

They seem to hate and disrepect Dan anyways seeing how they hit us with the penalty to begin with, i dont see what he has to lose.

There's lots of things the league can do, that are "judgement calls". 

How'd you like to not get any comp picks, for however long Dan owns the team? 

You weren't planning on any drug suspensions getting reinstated, were you? 

How about scheduling?  Is there any rule against scheduling a Monday night game and a Thursday Night Game, the same week?  And Thursday on the road?  (Against a division opponent?) 

What a coincidence!  We play four games in a row against teams who have a bye, the week before they play us. 

----------

I'm just saying that, while fantasizing about Dan really getting even for getting screwed is really nice, that, if he voluntarily chooses to implicate them all for felonies?  There's going to be retribution. 

This right here lol *nod*.

While it's pragmatic for both Snyder and Jerruh to tow the company/NFL line, the rest of the owners and Goodell have to be wondering if their unfair penalty against the Skins and Cowboys might motivate either owner to be more forthcoming and cooperative with the NFLPA in all this than they're comfortable with.

So, guess the question would be if Dan and Jerruh want to become the new Al Davis's of the NFL.  I think if either owner wanted to take that route, they would have already taken legal action.  Think more realistic that they were maybe leaking some info to the NFLPA on this topic.

However....since the friggin NFLPA actually signed off on this deal....I don't think this will end well for the Skins or the girlz.  Unless the owners want to sue individually....and don't think that will happen. 

I'm pretty sure this isn't at all possible, but lol...

If collusion IS found to be the case by the courts, is there any possibility at all that the CBA would be found invalid and nullified?

And if that were indeed to happen, would that mean the Skins and Cowboys could go back to the arbitrator and say "Since the CBA is invalid and has been nullified by the courts, that means the NFLPA signing off on the penalties means absolutely squat"? It was only because the players union signed off on the penalities that the arbitrator said he couldn't hear the case as the union's approval of the penalties basically ratified the CBA.

But, if the courts ruled that there was no valid CBA to ratify...??

I am really enjoying some of the fanciful scenarios here.

If the league loses and fines are assessed, I fully expect to see the Giants and Eagles shares taken from Snyder, under the "But he started it!" standard heard on playgrounds and in back seats during road trips.

How about scheduling? Is there any rule against scheduling a Monday night game and a Thursday Night Game, the same week? And Thursday on the road? (Against a division opponent?)

What a coincidence! We play four games in a row against teams who have a bye, the week before they play us.

----------

I'm just saying that, while fantasizing about Dan really getting even for getting screwed is really nice, that, if he voluntarily chooses to implicate them all for felonies? There's going to be retribution.

Yea i know Larry sorry it was sarcasm that didnt come across. I know Dan cant sellout the other owners, im just seriously buttsore about the penalty still.

How about scheduling?  Is there any rule against scheduling a Monday night game and a Thursday Night Game, the same week?  And Thursday on the road?  (Against a division opponent?) 

What a coincidence!  We play four games in a row against teams who have a bye, the week before they play us. 

----------

I'm just saying that, while fantasizing about Dan really getting even for getting screwed is really nice, that, if he voluntarily chooses to implicate them all for felonies?  There's going to be retribution. 

For the record, I know there's a rule against scheduling a team to play Monday night and then again on Thursday night. I see your point in saying that there are snarky ways the NFL could get back at them and so forth, however speaking for myself I've never been someone to just let something like this go because I'm worried they might try something else. Certainly the Redskins and Cowboys need to make sure that everything in "their houses" is clean and so forth, but there's no question that they should go after the NFL with everything that they have.

----------

The paranoid part of me sees much of this happening.  When is the last game, the Redskins got the benefit of home reffing?  It seems we are always getting the worst of it.  Noncalls, calls, phantom calls, and it happens every game.  Lot of drug suspensions too, even for medication that the player has been using for years with no problem on other teams for an established health reason.  Happened to us twice two years ago as I recall.  Can't remember the names right now, I think one was a back up o-lineman?

No, the NFL certainly seems out to get us already.

Have to totally agree.  This ship has sailed.  It was wrong, but nothing will ever come of favor to us regarding this.  Use it for motivation perhaps, but stick a fork in it; it's done.  HTTR

I agree too.  Still, wouldn't both me if the NFL got blasted for it.  That kind of wrongdoing and hubris ought to be punished even if we don't get rewarded.  Mara was so smug and open about how he illegally screwed the team over too!

The paranoid part of me sees much of this happening.  When is the last game, the Redskins got the benefit of home reffing?  It seems we are always getting the worst of it.  Noncalls, calls, phantom calls, and it happens every game.  Lot of drug suspensions too, even for medication that the player has been using for years with no problem on other teams for an established health reason.  Happened to us twice two years ago as I recall.  Can't remember the names right now, I think one was a back up o-lineman?

No, the NFL certainly seems out to get us already.

And my point would be that you have to fight fire with fire. If they're already out to get the Redskins for whatever reason, might as well fight back and try to take them down with everything you've got.

I have long argued the penalty against us was a lifetime achievement award penalty. Our actions in the uncapped year was simply the straw that broke the camels back in Mara's mind and he tried to fit decades of spirit violations into the retooling of just a few contracts.

He had been seeing his 2 division rivals working the system for decades and couldn't take it anymore.  It's all ironic in that he should have seen our inking massive contracts to FA's was failing miserably; his team won a bowl while we were busy tampering with our next fat cat to be that got injured, provided little, and presumed hindered our team and demoralized our players.  And its ironic that he went after us during the time most teams were doing the same setting a precedent that it was legal. 

I predict 10 years from now we get comped a 4th rounder. 

Does this have a chance to be a situation where representatives from Washington/Dallas are questioned on record about what went down?

If so, because they are part of the defense, do the teams tow the company line or do they basically say "We still don't know what rule we broke. It was never in writing. We were told to spend under what would be the cap"? 

Still agree that nothing good will happen for the Redskins because of this.

I could see a situation where the league decides that an actual FA compensatory pick could make its way to the 'skins.  The reason I think it could happen is there's already a sort of formula for FAs who leave versus how much you spend, so if you try to factor in how much we lost by not being able to spend 18million those two years, it could work.

The other cap stuff makes too much of an impact on the rest of the league and would be an anomoly, whereas comp pics happen every year.

Of course the punishment laid against the 'skins and 'boys in 2012 was an anomoly in itself, so who freaking knows.  A little bit of hope for an extra 3rd or 4th round pick is a nice thought though. 

Does this have a chance to be a situation where representatives from Washington/Dallas are questioned on record about what went down?

If so, because they are part of the defense, do the teams tow the company line or do they basically say "We still don't know what rule we broke. It was never in writing. We were told to spend under what would be the cap"? 

Still agree that nothing good will happen for the Redskins because of this.

You would think the league would throw them some sort of bone just to placate them and keep them in check, so they don't say that very thing.  

I have long argued the penalty against us was a lifetime achievement award penalty. Our actions in the uncapped year was simply the straw that broke the camels back in Mara's mind and he tried to fit decades of spirit violations into the retooling of just a few contracts.

He had been seeing his 2 division rivals working the system for decades and couldn't take it anymore.  It's all ironic in that he should have seen our inking massive contracts to FA's was failing miserably; his team won a bowl while we were busy tampering with our next fat cat to be that got injured, provided little, and presumed hindered our team and demoralized our players.  And its ironic that he went after us during the time most teams were doing the same setting a precedent that it was legal. 

I predict 10 years from now we get comped a 4th rounder. 

I think the real compensation that comes out of this for us is that this was the event that finally made us get away from signing all of the big flashy names and back to blue collar "team" guys. The penalty kept us from hurting ourselves in a way as we didnt have the money to spend. It helped get us a true GM and Dan out of the football operations.

For so many years we (and Dallas) could not get out of our own way. The penalty pushed us to do something we wouldnt do ourselves. I think in the end, the 2 years of penalty ends up being a bargain because of our long term gains as an organization.

So while trying to hurt us, I think Mara actually ended up doing the opposite. Even so, **** Mara... :D

... The penalty pushed us to do something we wouldnt do ourselves. I think in the end, the 2 years of penalty ends up being a bargain because of our long term gains as an organization.

I had thought the same thing at times in the past, but never was able to articulate quite as well as you did. That in the end, maybe the penalty was the best thing to happen to us. One can hope, of course. Certainly what we were doing, was not working.

Yep F Mara, and hopefully his actions were THE springboard to us building our team correctly, and will cost him dearly in the near future. He tried to hurt us, but we were already down and out from our own over spending actions; trying to "buy the bowl" we call it. We bought a bowl alright, the big nasty white porcelain variety. 

The only way for us to go was up and Mara likely helped us since he couldn't hurt us. Priceless!

I had thought the same thing at times in the past, but never was able to articulate quite as well as you did. That in the end, maybe the penalty was the best thing to happen to us. One can hope, of course. Certainly what we were doing, was not working.

Yep F Mara, and hopefully his actions were THE springboard to us building our team correctly, and will cost him dearly in the near future. He tried to hurt us, but we were already down and out from our own over spending actions; trying to "buy the bowl" we call it. We bought a bowl alright, the big nasty white porcelain variety. 

The only way for us to go was up and Mara likely helped us since he couldn't hurt us. Priceless!

I just can't get behind this.  There was NOTHING good about the cap penalty.  If Vinny was still in town, I'd say that MAYBE it would have forced some fiscal discipline. But he wasn't.

Bruce is KNOWN as a contracts guy, and he wasn't going to go out and spend frivolously regardless.  Every deal that the 'Skins have done since Bruce got here has been team friendly, even when Shanahan was officially in charge.  The McNabb contract extension was probably the pinnacle of amazing contract negotiations.  They made a bad move to trade for him, then hoodwinked him into an extension that gave the team all the rights, and no guaranteed money.  All that did was allow Bruce to trade him to the vikings while giving up nothing.

This year is another example.  it's clear that the 'Skins wanted one of the safeties, (Mitchel was the reported top target), but they wouldn't over-spend for him.  They acted prudently, and were able to land a whole bunch of guys.  Vinny would have shot his wad and offered Byrd a $100M contract with $60m guaranteed.

There is no evidence that Bruce was going to be a free wheeler.  And you can't hold Bruce, or even Shanahan, accountable for the ridiculous ways that the team acquired talent prior to their arrival in 2010.  

If you're saying "it taught Dan Snyder" something, I don't think it did.  I think Bruce taught Dan something.  There was no indication in either 2011 or 2012 that the team was going to go out and spend big-money on big-name FAs. They traded for McNabb, but that was at a reasonable fiscal cost. (Draft picks are another matter.)  They had no cap penalty in 2010 or 2011, and who was the biggest name FA they signed?

No, the cap penalty just took out the back half of the roster, eliminated solid depth and cause defensive and ST problems. 

I still think minus Griffin's knee injury, they MIGHT have been able to compensate for the deficiencies of the team, because he has the ability to be SO special all by himself, that he can cover up a lot of sins.  But last year he played inconsistently, and wasn't able to physically will the team to victories in spite of a historically bad ST and a leaky defense.  

There was nothing good that came off the cap penalty.  

And I hope the union hangs it around Mara's head like the Kryptonite Lex Luthor hangs around Superman's head before pushing him in the pool. In the original Superman movie.  

/Rant (falls off soap-box, sprains ankle)

Archived