Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Umm About that Cap Penalty

DubMoney

I first heard this while reading KC Clyburn on HTTR247.com and decided to do some research.

according to Pat Yasinskas of | ESPN.com http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/32706/history-on-lost-draft-picks

• 2002-05 Broncos forfeit 2005 third-round pick, 2002 third-round pick for circumventing salary cap between 1996 and 1998.

Mike has had a history of trying to get over on the cap. this is exactly what Mara meant when he said that we're lucky we didnt lose draft pics. Shanny had the wool pulled over our heads, he is the reason that we got docked the 36 million in the first place. Mix that in with the fact that he sucks at evaluating defenses players,and cant manage personalities = one of the worst redskins seasons of all time.

Anyone remember this guy.... I sure dont.

1.  WILLIE MIDDLEBROOKS  2001 1st Round - Pick 24  CB  Minnesota

During a period in time when the Broncos needed help on defense, they took a huge swing-and-miss with Middlebrooks in the first round of the 2001 draft. Starting just one game in four seasons with the Broncos, the super-bust had only 66 tackles and no interceptions in his time with Denver. 

I think this is a bit of piling on.  If they hadn't dumped the AH and DHall contracts into the 2010 uncapped season, they would have had to live with the same basic outcome over several years.

In fact, they might have had to absorb the full $36M in one year. 

The AH contract was the worst ever signed in the history of the NFL.  And that was on Dan and Vinny.

I'm not going to blame Mike and Bruce for trying to find a way out of it.  And a legal way.

I first heard this while reading KC Clyburn on HTTR247.com and decided to do some research.

according to Pat Yasinskas of | ESPN.com http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/32706/history-on-lost-draft-picks

• 2002-05 Broncos forfeit 2005 third-round pick, 2002 third-round pick for circumventing salary cap between 1996 and 1998.

Mike has had a history of trying to get over on the cap. this is exactly what Mara meant when he said that we're lucky we didnt lose draft pics. Shanny had the wool pulled over our heads, he is the reason that we got docked the 36 million in the first place. Mix that in with the fact that he sucks at evaluating defenses players,and cant manage personalities = one of the worst redskins seasons of all time.

Anyone remember this guy.... I sure dont.

1.  WILLIE MIDDLEBROOKS  2001 1st Round - Pick 24  CB  Minnesota

During a period in time when the Broncos needed help on defense, they took a huge swing-and-miss with Middlebrooks in the first round of the 2001 draft. Starting just one game in four seasons with the Broncos, the super-bust had only 66 tackles and no interceptions in his time with Denver. 

Except that John Beake was the GM of the Broncos during that time, so not sure how the head coach should get blamed for salary cap issues or bad picks.

And every one of Shanny's first rounders here have been to the Pro Bowl.

But your narrative will find fans here nonetheless because facts should never get in the way of a lynching.

I think this is a bit of piling on.  If they hadn't dumped the AH and DHall contracts into the 2010 uncapped season, they would have had to live with the same basic outcome over several years.

In fact, they might have had to absorb the full $36M in one year. 

The AH contract was the worst ever signed in the history of the NFL.  And that was on Dan and Vinny.

I'm not going to blame Mike and Bruce for trying to find a way out of it.  And a legal way.

lol did you forget Mike turned around and gave AH the 20+ million. 

Everything I've read or heard plants this completely at the feet of Lurie who planted a bug in Mara's ear. 

so are you mad at Lurie for bringing it up, or mad at shanny for trying to do something that he got caught doing in Denver 

And Bruce Allen is the GM of the Washington Redskins. Your point? Granted, Sundquist was a stronger personnel guy than Allen, but Shanahan had the same powers in Denver as he has here.

exactly...cant believe ppl think this is a coincidence 

And Bruce Allen is the GM of the Washington Redskins. Your point? Granted, Sundquist was a stronger personnel guy than Allen, but Shanahan had the same powers in Denver as he has here.

Are you implying that Shanahan had full control his second year as head coach of the Broncos and that all the Broncos GMs until Mike was given the title have been nothing more than figureheads doing Shanahan's bidding?

Yep as I said, this thread was sure to find some disciples...

Are you implying that Shanahan had full control his second year as head coach of the Broncos and that all the Broncos GMs until Mike was given the title have been nothing more than figureheads doing Shanahan's bidding?

Yep as I said, this thread was sure to find some disciples...

even if Mike wasnt the man who pulled the trigger...he was part of a staff that had...and was burned for it. im sure he knew about it. 

Ok

What about when the NFL came out and said "The Redskins and Cowboys broke no rules"  What about when they signed off on the contracts they later penalized us for?

You can't circumvent something that does not exist.  You can't "get around" something that does not exist.  You cannot "violate the spirit of the salary cap" that by the design of the very people saying you did saw to the cap not existing.  The NFL owners commited collusion.  Of this there is no question.  The Redskins and Cowboys did not play along, and dumped money into the uncapped year...again, for the gazillionth time something they had every single legal right to do. The players signed off on the penalty in the new CBA which ultimately "forgave" the collusion, and signed away any legitimate argument for recourse.  No arbitrator will override a collective bargaining agreement, and neither party wanted this in Federal Court.  Classic case of cutting off your nose to spite your face.  

No matter how you spin this, or how much you dislike Mike Shanahan, this cap fiasco does not fall at his feet.  

Well the cap penalty may have been unfair but there were 30 other teams smart enough not to try the same thing. Only Jerry Jones and Shanahan thought they could get away with this which is why they are the two worst front office decision makers in the league. Even Al Davis didn't try to pull that in the uncapped year.

Jerry and Dan were the only two who didn't commit a crime.

I can't believe everyone wants to side with the ones who did.

Well the cap penalty may have been unfair but there were 30 other teams smart enough not to try the same thing. Only Jerry Jones and Shanahan thought they could get away with this which is why they are the two worst front office decision makers in the league. Even Al Davis didn't try to pull that in the uncapped year.

Oh no jut look up Julius Peppers contract with Chicago.  Did the same thing but no mention of them.  What about all the teams that spent well below the cap floor so they would have ton of money the next season, huge competitive advantage but not a peep about them.  This was a penalty targeted to 2 teams in the NFC East by their rivals in the NFC East.  It was as dirty as dirty gets. 

I am not blaming Shanny for the cap penalties. That is 100% on the rest of the scumbag owners, in particular Jeff Laurie and John Mara

I am blaming him for everything else

I detailed it all out in this thread what happened with the cap penalty

http://es.redskins.com/topic/357608-for-midget-fans-why-john-mara-cheated/page-13?hl=mara#entry9412350

It wasn't Mike's fault at all.

However trading for McNabb and J. Brown, NOT getting rid of AH sooner, and having a historically bad special teams are on Mike.

The arbitrary cap penalty is not him at all

They need to hit on every one of these free agents with all this cap space, cuz Shanny pulled the cap penalty card out this year as an excuse.  In the highly unlikely event that he's back, he'll have the talent and depth he said he couldn't get and a QB in vaunted offseason program.  He'll have nothing to turn to if we're not in the playoffs next year.

sure. I how we leave 1/7th of the cap unused for the next 10 years.

Josh Morgan, Josh Wilson, Stephen Bowen and Tana make up a sizable cap it. That's a lot of suck for a lot of money.

Oh yeah and the 5 year $35 mil deal for OJ Atagowe in 2011.

(Still love you Tana, not your fault)

Al Davis certainly did try this. That is when they cut Jamarcus Russell. The penalty wasn't as severe as they didn't put that much money in the uncapped year. They didn't receive the 1.5 million extra that each team received. There was one other team that didn't get the 1.5 million, think it as New Orleans.

Archived