Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Umm About that Cap Penalty

DubMoney

DeMaurice Smith ****ed over the NFLPA with the CBA and signing off on this to get his players a few extra bucks on the cap.    The idiot that he is never considered, or maybe he did and he's just a puppet for Mara, that he could have gotten 2 billion for his players had he not signed off on that bogus cap increase.

DeMaurice Smith ****ed over the NFLPA with the CBA and signing off on this to get his players a few extra bucks on the cap.    The idiot that he is never considered, or maybe he did and he's just a puppet for Mara, that he could have gotten 2 billion for his players had he not signed off on that bogus cap increase.

Smith was up for re-election and the cap was about to go down in the first year of the new bargaining agreement.  Fearing he would lose his position if it did, he did what was necessary to not risk losing the election, even though it screwed the members of the NFLPA over.  Now here we are. 

What, if any, type of repayment could the Skins be entitled to if they determine there was collusion?  My guess is that even if they overturn the ruling, Skins get nothing and probably have to pay part of the $1B settlement, just because nothing seems to go their way on this topic.

But let's pretend there is some type of repayment -- draft picks?  Like bottom of 3rd round compensatory-type pick?  $35M over two seasons is a lot of damage done.  I don't think they would increase our cap, as that would throw eveyone else off.  

I'll take a bottom of first round pick over the next two years please. :D

What, if any, type of repayment could the Skins be entitled to if they determine there was collusion?  My guess is that even if they overturn the ruling, Skins get nothing and probably have to pay part of the $1B settlement, just because nothing seems to go their way on this topic.

The Skins would be working to be exempted from the penalty.  I'd suspect both the Skins and the Cowboys might be able to get out of it as the argument that we were penalized because we did not follow an illegal informal rule would be pretty strong.

As to being made whole after the 36 Mill penalty?? I have no idea what or if anything would be done about that. 

Exactly what I tweeted.

@DeSmithNFLPA sold out the @NFLPA when agreeing to the Mara inspired fines for the #Redskins and #Cowboys all for an immediate cap bump

He wanted to get reelected to his gig and needed to get players money ASAP. If Mara owned the Lions. You know the Packers and Bears would have been hit for something. It was personal for him.

Yup. DeMaurice Smith is, by far, the stupidest union head in pro sports. What the hell was he thinking?  The fear of an uncapped year is supposed to be major leverage for the union in negotiations. Not only did he mess up this last round, he's screwed them over for any future negotiations. No team would ever dare violate the "spirit of the cap" again. Not after what they did to us.

Yup. DeMaurice Smith is, by far, the stupidest union head in pro sports. What the hell was he thinking? 

He was thinking I'll lose the election for head of the union if the cap goes down.  He made it go up and won the election.  Self serving ahole yes, stupid, no way. 

Oh damn.... s**t just got real for both the Redskins and Cowboys.lmao

I'll take additional picks in the first round over the next 2  years please.

Compensatory 1st rounders!!

I dunno if I'd rather have that or 18mil in extra cap space over two years.  Probably the picks, but DAMN this is wild. 

Oh damn.... s**t just got real for both the Redskins and Cowboys.lmao

I'll take additional picks in the first round over the next 2  years please.

No it just got real for the NFL.  We'll be really lucky to even have any damages to us addressed.  This is a battle between the NFL and NFLPA, our punishment will be a focal point of the case, but our penalties and restitution not so much. 

Don't think extra cap room would work.  If we got back $36M over two years, for example, we'd have to do a bunch of front loaded or short-term deals, so it would really be for a load-em up run at a ring for 2 years, then back to normal.

Not sure if there's precedence for gaining a first round comp pick -- I seem to recall one a few decades ago, but can't remember exactly.  In the current era, the highest comp pick is end of 3rd round.

I wonder who gets to decide on any repayment/draft pick compensation?  Doty?

#1. The Skins and Cowboys are actually part of the defendants in this situation, if you can believe it.

#2. Do we really expect any comp for this situation? I don't.

#3. Because of my belief in #2. All I really want is an investigation that nails Mara and the man behind this. The guy who went out of his way to nail his division rivals, and something to happen to his franchise. I know that won't happen. But a daydream of a 46Mil (36 for Washington, 10 for Dallas I think. Right?) hit on his squad over 2 years would be some level of justice. 

Ooh, I like hitting Mara with a stiff penalty if we can't get anything ourselves.

Remember when he said we were lucky that we didn't get draft choices taken away?

How about $46M over two years (of course you need to inform them the night before free agency) and two first rounders forfeited? :D

Like I said, they didn't technically break any rules.

But they were warned. And Mike has a history, and so he has a bigger profile. So, like I said; the cap penalty is bull****. No one is disputing anything.

What's being disputed is that Mike had absolutely no fault in it. He broke "the rules", and no matter how non-existent or illegal, if you're repeatedly warned to not do something or you'll get punished and you do it anyway, and you have enemies in the league, guess what? If you mess with the bull you get the ****ing horns.

Well, and those rules could end up costing the league itself a lot more than what they gained from unwritten rules that nobody can point to anywhere at anytime. 

If they broke whatever "rule" we are talking about. Then that is collusion because legally there was no cap that year. The ****ty thing is that the Redskins and Cowboys weren't the only team that got creative with the situation. But they were both in the same division as the Giants. Also, now that this case is back in play again. They have to be part of the defending side about it. Double dip on the bull**** right there.

#1. The Skins and Cowboys are actually part of the defendants in this situation, if you can believe it.

It's ludicrous but the chances are we would have to pay our share of the bill if the NFLPA ever do win their case. 

But let's pretend there is some type of repayment -- draft picks?  Like bottom of 3rd round compensatory-type pick?  $35M over two seasons is a lot of damage done.  I don't think they would increase our cap, as that would throw eveyone else off.  

I'll take a bottom of first round pick over the next two years please. :D

So you want us to have the 32nd and 33rd overall picks for the next two years? :)

So you want us to have the 32nd and 33rd overall picks for the next two years? :)

Take the Giants, cause **** Mara, next 20 first round picks, give the Cowboys their third round picks...   Take 23 mil off the Eagles, cause **** them, cap for the next two years (18 for us, 5 for pukes).

Well I say screw the whole league except for the Skins and I hate to say it the Cowboys. I say take 10 million dollars from every other team next year. Nown of those owners backed either teams.

So I say give them a nice cap penalty and watch them struggle for a year signing players like we did.

Temper your expectations, guys.  The ruling specifically stated the heavy burden of proof required to win this case.

"UPDATE 11:15 a.m. ET:  The NFL remains confident that it will prevail in the case. “As the Court emphasized, today’s decision is entirely procedural in nature,” the league said in a statement issued to PFT.  “Far from validating the Union’s claim, the Court specifically highlighted the heavy burden that the NFLPA faces in establishing this claim, and we remain highly confident that the claim will be dismissed yet again.”

Ooh, I like hitting Mara with a stiff penalty if we can't get anything ourselves.

Remember when he said we were lucky that we didn't get draft choices taken away?

How about $46M over two years (of course you need to inform them the night before free agency) and two first rounders forfeited? :D

i remember reading awhile back that the other nfce piece of **** lurie was a driving force behind the "penalty"

mara was also a big proponent, but he was just a bigger loudmouth spouting off about it.

**** both of those pieces of trash.

Temper your expectations, guys.  The ruling specifically stated the heavy burden of proof required to win this case.

"UPDATE 11:15 a.m. ET:  The NFL remains confident that it will prevail in the case. “As the Court emphasized, today’s decision is entirely procedural in nature,” the league said in a statement issued to PFT.  “Far from validating the Union’s claim, the Court specifically highlighted the heavy burden that the NFLPA faces in establishing this claim, and we remain highly confident that the claim will be dismissed yet again.”

Translation:

we need to do a better job of greasing some palms to get this to go away again.

Archived