Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Cooley says Danny Smith wants Redskins coaching job

Byner21

Why do I like this idea a lot???

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/12/23/cooley-says-danny-smith-wants-redskins-coaching-job/

“The one thing about it is, if I trusted one person in this organization at any point in my career, it was always Danny Smith,” Cooley said. “If I wanted to know what was going on — in a positive way — it was always Danny Smith. If I ever wanted to play for somebody – really play for somebody? I hated special teams, HATED them, but I’d play for Danny. There’s something to be said for that. Now, I’m not saying there’s a high-percentage chance, just because the stereotype of everything that’s going on. But I don’t know if it would be the worst thing in the world.”

25 years ago you would've heard players say the same things about Bugel, but unlike Danny Smith, Buges was an ELITE position coach - the best of his era. But Buges went to dysfunctional organizations (Cards, Raiduhs) and flopped. A Danny and Danny era would be excrutiating. The blight leading the blind

I'll repost what I said in the other thread.

A good head coach doesn't necessarily have to be the best play caller, or the best developer of players. That's why you hire assistants. A head coach needs to motivate, lead, have his finger on the pulse of the team, keep on top of issues, and know the game from an x and o perspective. I don't think he's a real candidate, but Danny Smith is probably a better candidate than he'll be given credit for on ES.

Really, wasn't this an April's Fools thread in December about two days ago. Hiring anyone from 'within' in the last 5-10 year period would be as counterproductive as could possibly be.

We need a dedicated and calculated search for a 'new' staff. Doesn't have to be big name or ties to RG3. Just a competent, dedicated staff with vision and determination.

Further... How in the hell can Danny Smith even be consider for HC spot. Like others stated, usually elite coordinators get the considerations. His resume seems like it would be hard for him to secure future ST coaching spots. Why? because he looks real stern on the sideline when he is coaching his unit to bottom 1/3 in the league every year. Man, sometimes I wish I could get a piece of this NFL racket.

A good head coach doesn't necessarily have to be the best play caller, or the best developer of players. That's why you hire assistants. A head coach needs to motivate, lead, have his finger on the pulse of the team, keep on top of issues, and know the game from an x and o perspective. I don't think he's a real candidate, but Danny Smith is probably a better candidate than he'll be given credit for on ES.

Maybe. players like him.

~Bang

Danny Smith might be a better candidate than what most think. I think he might have his name on the list, but it's way down there. The players love him is what Cooley is saying. That's a plus for sure. As far as his STs unit, I was never impressed. They weren't terrible but they were not very impressive either.

It's not as crazy as some may think. The players love Danny and he is an excellent motivator. He is also very good with clock management. Remember when Zorn would consult with him on time outs, challenges, etc? The guy knows the game.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/03/john-harbaugh-may-have-opened-the-door-for-special-teams-coordinators/

John Harbaugh may have opened the door for special-teams coordinators

Posted by Mike Florio on January 3, 2012, 8:56 AM EST

It was a surprise on Sunday night to hear Peter King say that Cowboys special-teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis will be a candidate for the head-coaching job in Jacksonville.  It was a shock on Monday to see reports that the Dolphins will interview Bears special-teams coordinator Dave Toub.

In Danny's favor... he was always in the coach's ear and seemed to be on top of everything.  He had a lot of energy and enthusiasm.  Against him, his special teams were middling to poor.

I'd keep him on the list, but way down there... if I couldn't get the guy I want or the guy after that, and maybe the guy after that then I might roll the dice on Smith, but he'd have a pretty short hook and he'd have to prove to me in the interviews that he could assemble the right team of coaches under him.

100% Agree. While I'd like too see some other candidates and yes I still have a bad taste in my mouth from his horrid special teams play, his players and fellow assistants spoke extremely high of him. Further anyone who ever met the guy has said he was one of the most outgoing and good spirited guys. I wouldn't hate on that for a second.

It cracks me up when people talk about his "horrid" special teams play. We haven't seen horrid until this year. I can pretty much guarantee we have at least one more game in the win column if Smith is our special teams coach. That's not to say his special teams units were top notch either. And losing LoAx in the same year as Smith made for a difficult adjustment. But his special teams units were always average at the worst and his coverage units were almost always pretty damn good. Like most things, no one here was satisfied with that because we never seemed to have great special teams. I was happy to see him go as well but this is truly a case of the grass not being greener lol. I have never in my life witnessed special teams as consistently horrid week in and week out as ours has been this year. It's literally impressive how bad they are and that they have made a game changing play for the worse almost every single week this entire year. 

Anyway, it's not really worth talking about. I can appreciate if they players respected/trusted him but I can't see Danny taking another chance hire on a guy that hasn't made a natural progression to head coach after the way things went with Zorn.

Why do I like this idea a lot???

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/12/23/cooley-says-danny-smith-wants-redskins-coaching-job/

“The one thing about it is, if I trusted one person in this organization at any point in my career, it was always Danny Smith,” Cooley said. “If I wanted to know what was going on — in a positive way — it was always Danny Smith. If I ever wanted to play for somebody – really play for somebody? I hated special teams, HATED them, but I’d play for Danny. There’s something to be said for that. Now, I’m not saying there’s a high-percentage chance, just because the stereotype of everything that’s going on. But I don’t know if it would be the worst thing in the world.”

We sure need a Special Team coach as we are terrible

Just saying, but I could draw plays in the dirt equally as effective as Smith or half of St coaches in league. I mean really, it's practicing one play on 4 different sets. It's not about personnel.

If we hired a mediocre ST coach, that would upset me more than any other story in the past year. Seriously.

It cracks me up when people talk about his "horrid" special teams play. We haven't seen horrid until this year. I can pretty much guarantee we have at least one more game in the win column if Smith is our special teams coach. That's not to say his special teams units were top notch either. And losing LoAx in the same year as Smith made for a difficult adjustment. But his special teams units were always average at the worst and his coverage units were almost always pretty damn good. Like most things, no one here was satisfied with that because we never seemed to have great special teams. I was happy to see him go as well but this is truly a case of the grass not being greener lol. I have never in my life witnessed special teams as consistently horrid week in and week out as ours has been this year. It's literally impressive how bad they are and that they have made a game changing play for the worse almost every single week this entire year. 

Anyway, it's not really worth talking about. I can appreciate if they players respected/trusted him but I can't see Danny taking another chance hire on a guy that hasn't made a natural progression to head coach after the way things went with Zorn.

It may crack you up, but it just shows you have never bothered to look at the numbers that our STs put up in his 7 years. makes me wonder what it is you're laughing about. Especially when you say "they were average at the worst".. avg is 16th, and we rarely got above 25th or so.

I mean damn, the guy just was NOT good here, and I do not know how it is so difficult to see it.

the fact you bring up how bad it is this year PROVES it. After 7 years, what did he build? The special teams cupboard is as bare and devoid of any talent as it gets. Mix that with a guy in his first coaching gig and it's a disaster.

Losing Lorenzo Alexander is what turned this unit into one of the historically worst special teams in history?

One guy?

ONE guy?

In seven years Danny built it so one guy, an above avg special teamer and backup linebacker,.. this pretty much above average but not starting anywhere football player leaves and it ALL falls this badly?

your own arguments show the failure., and you fail to see it.

Now, the bottom of your post i totally agree with.. the idea of him as a head coach might not be SO farfetched for reasons many have said.. but the fact he has stayed in one place in one position for so long with no offers of upward movement (that i am aware of)..  i think it says more on this topic than his performance as a ST coach on an admittedly below avg team.

~Bang

It may crack you up, but it just shows you have neve3r bothered to look at the numbers that our STs put up in his 87 years.

I mean damn, the guy just was NOT good here, and I do not know how it is so difficult to see it.

the fact you bring up how bad it is this year PROVES it. After 7 years, what did he build? The special teams cupboard is as bare and devoid of any talent as it gets. Mix that with a guy in his first coaching gig and it's a disaster.

~Bang

He can always hire brilliant assistants to coordinate the O,D and Special Teams.

If Cooley, an ex-player, says that the guy can inspire greatness, then why not?

But he has to be pretty old, I'm guessing over 60.

Well, OK, that's a valid question, 

So why hasn't anyone else in the NFL ever asked it?

He's widely regarded, highly respected, and never moved.

i don't know that he would be a bad HC,, as i said above, my issues with him as a St coach aren't really going to be the point in this sort of thing. Like you and others have said, HCs  delegates and motivate.

~Bang

Archived