Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shanny walks out on post game presser

TK

The owner don't like you.

Starter won't talk to you.

Your own son does not want to coach with you anymore.

Would say its getting ugly. But it was ugly weeks ago.

This is Roseanne Barr/ Rosie O'Donnell ugly.

At this rate, Mike is probably going to grow a beard and hide somewhere in the Himalayas for a year when the season is over.

Shanahan sympathizers are killing me. Is there any reason to believe that IF(a big if) Mike Shanahan cuts ties with the current coordinators and underachieving positional coaches that he won't just bring in another collection of flunkies/old buddies?

Putting together the best possible coaching staff he can to win games is not a priority over getting a bunch of his friends/yes men jobs.

Hopefully thats something that's discussed with Snyder and Allen when the season is over.

Shanahan sympathizers are killing me. Is there any reason to believe that IF(a big if) Mike Shanahan cuts ties with the current coordinators and underachieving positional coaches that he won't just bring in another collection of flunkies/old buddies?

Putting together the best possible coaching staff he can to win games is not a priority over getting a bunch of his friends/yes men jobs.

I don't think you can call ANY of us "Shanny sympathizers!"  We just aren't in favor of blowing it all up again to have another coach come in and suck it up just because the Press has made an absolute circus of our team this whole season!  Obviously, Shanahan HAS to make MAJOR changes. Quite possibly letting his son make a graceful exit. And he MUST get a new DC and a ST coach. But a lot of you Shanny haters automatically think that letting another coach come in and change everything AGAIN guarantees success. It doesn't! As Redskins fans of the past 20 years (and I go back +40), we should be VERY familiar with that fact!

Seems like a good place post this, i guess.

A lot of the rumors that have been flying around about how shanahan wants out, how benching rg3 was a means to achieve that end, about how danny is gonna fire shanahan, but doesnt want to pay him 7m....

But there is no real evidence of that aside from "unnamed redskins sources"

:-/

7m is a drop in the bucket and making a move like that would be disrespecting danny. I dont think that he would put up with that or be that concerned about loosing 7m over the possibility of loosing ticket sales and concession money due to no one going to the games..

Another thing is everyone all of a sudden is complaining about danny not hiring a good gm ect. In august everyone was praising the moves this hc and gm made during the last three off seasons.

I think they have done ok, based on what constraints were placed on the team... Certainly better than jim zorn or term two of gibbs...

I know something has to chance... I think we need a new oc, dc, and, sc... But i think shanny has some talents id like to keep.

Im not a fan of benching griffin because you only get 16 games a year to truly learn from, and its a little late now. The first four games would have mad more sense... Im a bit worried that this will ruin rg3s confidence.. And if you dont have confidence youre indecisive and if youre indecisive you make mistakes and if you make mistakes your a bust.

I think shanny answered the last question perfectly. How can you stop leaks to the media? Dont talk to the media.

He walked out because they continued to ask questions about him being here next year after he told them that he was willing to discuss the Atlanta, Dallas, or New York games.

Why is everyone becoming such a drama queen over Shanahan?

He's basically morphed into a comic book villain according to this board. Or maybe an evil dark knight from a book of medieval times.

Oh what treachey must this dark Lord surely be conspiring to commit against our beloved football franchise forthwith.

Wow.... from the bits I just saw, that was a pretty beefy short bit of a press conference, less football questions have been asked of mike in the last couple of weeks I think.

Honestly .. at this point, regardless of whether Mike stays or not, what is there to ask and what is there to answer?

Why do people keep saying "the Shanny supporters are driving me nuts"?  I haven't seen a lot of Shanny supporters here, just people trying to keep others from piling on without reasonable cause.  It's like the lynch mob is having an argument with itself. :)

Shanny is toast.  EVERYONE knows that.  Just let it be.

Everyone's kicking a dead horse.  So what if he walked out of a presser?  He's done.  Adios.  We get another regime change, scheme change, etc.  Just part of the cycle of our crap franchise.

If you think Helu is nothing, you know nothing. 

Rk Player Team Pos Att Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD Lng 1st 1st% 20+ 40+ FUM

64 Roy Helu WAS RB 58 4.1 252 4.3 18.0 4 24 17 29.3 2 0 0

Those are damn good stats for a third down back playing behind Morris, who BTW only has 2 more TDs

Nice numbers. Who gives a ****? He has averaged 4 YPC on 58 carries in his career. And he's caught some passes. Do you know how many mid-round COP RB's could have done that? He's nothing. The definition of replaceable.

I don't think you can call ANY of us "Shanny sympathizers!"  We just aren't in favor of blowing it all up again to have another coach come in and suck it up just because the Press has made an absolute circus of our team this whole season!  Obviously, Shanahan HAS to make MAJOR changes. Quite possibly letting his son make a graceful exit. And he MUST get a new DC and a ST coach. But a lot of you Shanny haters automatically think that letting another coach come in and change everything AGAIN guarantees success. It doesn't! As Redskins fans of the past 20 years (and I go back +40), we should be VERY familiar with that fact!

THANK YOU.

People have gone crazy.  The same people who claimed Bruce Allen and Shanny righted the ship now think blowing it up will right the ship.  Wanting to PAUSE for a second doesn't make us a Shanny Sympathizer, it makes us a REALIST in this franchise is ****ed up.  Firing Shanny doesn't necessarily get us anything better.

THANK YOU.

People have gone crazy.  The same people who claimed Bruce Allen and Shanny righted the ship now think blowing it up will right the ship.  Wanting to PAUSE for a second doesn't make us a Shanny Sympathizer, it makes us a REALIST in this franchise is ****ed up.  Firing Shanny doesn't necessarily get us anything better.

Agreed. The people that wanted Shanahan fired that Sunday after the Chiefs debacle just boggle my mind! How about we not have a knee jerk reaction and let this horrendous season come to an end before we start firing people! Am I angry at the way this season has gone? Absolutely! And some of that anger (a LOT actually) is directed at the Shanahans for poor coaching, poor decision making, and Kyle's schizophrenic game planning. BUT I KNOW what jumping to a quick decision has done for us in the past. And I KNOW that bringing in a new coach to "fix everything" is seldom the answer. I think this season was inevitable -- Griffin wasn't healthy for much of it, and as a result of his injury and not having an offseason to work on timing and learning more of the playbook, and developing bad throwing motion to compensate for his injured knee, plus the fact that we didn't address our shortcomings from last year? Yeah. I think it was written in the wind. Maybe not a 3 win season, but I don't think we would have been vying for the division title again.

Let's not overreact, people!

Regardless of what fans here think Shanahan is well respected in the coaching world. Can you imagine how hard it would be to hire any good coach If Danny fired Shanahan in a one jerk reaction during the season? Who the hell would want to come here to be next?

Shanahan must do nothing, because he has full autonomy to do what he wants with this football team. So, there goes that portion of your post. Dan Snyder is not going to force Shanahan to do anything, and he knows that he can't force him to do anything because that would be against the agreement that Shanahan has complete control.

Secondly, amidst all this media frenzy, some of the best reasons for wanting Shanahan to leave are falling to the wayside because people only want to focus on Dan Snyder and RG3. People keep forgetting that Mike Shanahan's position as director of personnel also grants him control of who the coaches are. And so far, he's brought in a complete failure(Jim Haslett), his sidekick(Bob Slowik), and an inexperienced old buddy that needed a job(Keith Burns.) He may not have the desire to fire any of them, and there's no indication that he's going to either based on his history of being loyal to his coaches rather than finding the best man for the job.

This has zero to do with the cap penalty, which seems to be the go-to argument whenever someone criticizes the roster Shanahan has put together. Even though successful teams don't build through free agency anyway, and this is the same team that went 10-6 a year ago. But yeah, poor draft picks(Leribeus), trades(Jamaal Brown), and horrible FA contracts for marginal players(Morgan) are ALL because of the cap penalty--ALL of them. Hell, one could make the argument that Mike would find a way to screw up all the cap space money that will be available. Who's to say he doesn't just shell out 6 million dollar contracts to more ****ty players? It would certainly be consistent with his track record.

The argument I don't get from the pro-Shanny side is that his critics are being knee jerk.  This isn't a sudden decision based on one game.  Heck, it really isn't even a conclusion drawn from one horrific season.  Rather, you can make the argument that 7/8s of this tenue has been unsucessful.  Think about it, minus that one stretch last year he has been a failing coach with a pretty good, but not good enough o and terrible defense and that's been the constant for four years.  The seven game streak is the outlier.  In the world of sports, four years is an eternity and a fair amount of time to judge someone.

Now, take it back further... was he really successful his last few years in Denver?  How long has it been since he produced a good on field product?

Now, let's look at the evidence and project forward.  What do you see working well that is about to explode?  What with a little patience will suddenly blossom?  The defense?  The special teams this week played okay that's a quantum leap up.  Really though, where do you see it.  Where do you see any reason that Shanahan will do better next year?  Why has he earned that year in your opinion?

That's the relevent question and it needs to be answered by Snyder.

I don't think I heard one decent question. Did someone really ask why he went for two? I assume it was to win the game. Is that the objective?

They asked him f Kirk played well. What game did they watch? What did they think? Seriously?

Some were repeated!

He stated he would talk about the game not his job several times... Finally all the game questions were done, so he left.., that's it

Regardless of what fans here think Shanahan is well respected in the coaching world. Can you imagine how hard it would be to hire any good coach If Danny fired Shanahan in a one jerk reaction during the season? Who the hell would want to come here to be next?

Fired from his last gig by his best friend in football. On the brink of being fired from his present one after bringing about absolute carnage and the worst losing record in franchise history over that span. 62 years old. 15 years removed from a SB with only 1 playoff win in that span.

We'll see just how well respected he is from here on out.

I suspect retirement is in the offing as no team worth much of anything will touch him with a 10 foot pole after what he's pulled here.

And given Dan has MORE than just cause to fire him by most anyone's metric, along with upwards of $ 40 million in cap room and RGIII; I wouldn't be worried about guys wanting to come here.

We're a VERY attractive prospect still.

Hail.

Mike, WTF?  Did you get your account hacked?

One (I'm guessing knee?)-jerk reaction? I think that basically any coach in the league that we would ever want would understand that this is anything but a knee-jerk reaction to one season.

This has replaced the salary cap argument for the pro-Shanny group: "Who are we going to get that is better?"

Gee, someone who is better than three double-digit loss seasons?  I'll take my chances......especially if they can somehow convince Snyder to go to Bora Bora and disappear during the hiring process.

And for all the hand-wringing about how Dan doesn't want to pay the $7 million to Mike plus the $6 million to the staff?  You know Shanahan isn't coming back without an extension.

Archived