Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: District police investigating random attacks similar to ‘knockout game’

China

Here's my take...the most sensational of the YouTube videos being linked on news websites are not recent attacks, they're from a while back.  I only just heard about this game in the past few weeks.  My guess concerning the recent attacks in D.C...probably urban youth who, like me, just heard about this game and, unlike me, decided to try it out.  Certainly not an epidemic.

As for me, I am not a small person, and probably not a prime target, since the victims appear to be either women or older folks.  I never walk around DC with my earphones in, and I'm relatively aware, because I work in a transitioning area of the city.  Having just heard about this game, I was paying more attention to my surroundings than usual, and walking to my bus stop a few days ago, noticed a group of black youths loitering and carrying on.  Normally, I wouldn't pay them a second thought, but because I had recently heard about this game, I became more narrow focused, puffed my chest out a little, made sure they knew I was aware of them.  Even though this was in a nicer part of DC and it was relatively crowded with tons of witnesses.

Well, I got closer and realized they were loitering because two of their group were helping an older Asian couple break down their street vending cart, and pack it into their car.  I felt a little ashamed of myself, but it's food for thought about appearances.

It's possible that both Predicto, who has done an excellent job of stating his position convincingly, and those claiming this isn't getting enough attention are both right to some unequal extent.  If this really is some sort of game that has risen exclusively among black young people and if the game revolves around a racial component that demands victims be chosen because of their race this would mean that violent hate crimes have become a internet fad.  Something like planking and the Harlem shake (though, obviously much less widespread and accepted).  That is disturbing as hell.  I agree that something like this, if exclusively coming from whites and directed at other races, would probably be the lead story on every channel and newspaper.  There does seem to be an outrage gap when it comes to racially motivated crime and that isn't good.  (outrage for everyone!)  

However, even if the above is true, which again is not something I accept as proven, this isn't some sort of race riot and blacks are not all sharpening their knives in advance of an imminent assault on their pale or possibly sun kissed countrymen.  It means that there is a hate crime game spreading via the internet that needs to be stamped out with aggressive prosecution and application of hate crime legislation.  It also means that it's once again time to have a national discussion on "racism is bad" no matter what skin color it is that you may have been born with.  Blacks are not, to my knowledge, The Borg.  There is no hive mind directing them to assault whites.  Thinking that they are is racism, thinking that any race is represented by their lowest common denominator and refusing to accept that humans are individuals is racism.  Let's stop doing that.  

Seriously stop that ****, it's 2013.  The new problem is called classism and all rich people really are evil and they are out to get you.  Resistance is futile.   

I guess I'm confused, why is a racial component to these crimes being argued here?  None of the videos I saw on the news or YouTube suggested to me this "knockout game" was something carried out by black kids as a racially motivated attack on white people.  To me these incidents appeared to be "thrill" crimes carried out by punk teenage boys picking on whoever was vulnerable at that place and time.  I should add "punk DIP**** teenage boys who FILM themselves committing a crime then post it on YouTube for all to see..including authorities.  Freaking brilliant.

In regards to the specific case mentioned in the OP, I don't feel badly one bit for the kid who got shot.  In fact, I hope these punks continue to try to pull this crap on more people who are able to actually fight back.  :)

I am constantly amazed when I walk in DC, how many people are unaware of their surroundings.

If you have ear buds in, are talking on the phone/texting and walking, and are alone, you could be a target of some real assholes.

Simple solution: Be aware of what is going on around you. Don't  be a sitting duck

Definitely. The number one defense is awareness. Whenever I'm walking the streets of DC at night (which I try to avoid), I keep my head on a swivel and look for the areas where someone could be hiding... just make sure I'm aware of my surroundings so nobody can get the jump on me. That's more likely to keep me safe than my knife or my Krav Maga training.

There is no challenge to this "game". Any martial artist will tell you it's the strikes you don't see coming that knock you out. Even when you're fully engaged in combat, a strike you don't see will put you in lala land. When you see punches coming, you can grind your teeth, clench your jaw and roll with them...on top of blocking and whatnot. My 100 lb girlfriend could knock me out if I was just walking down the street minding my own business. Granted, she's learned how to kickbox and has sick technique, but still, 100 lbs. No challenge there, fools. You wanna challenge? Get a job. Better yet, walk up in a boxing gym and try that mess.

You know what I noticed in most of these news stories is that the teenagers were described as 'bored'. Really? Kids are still bored? There are so many things these kids could be doing instead of this ****. They aren't bored, they're poorly raised assholes. 

Oh my God I want to buy that man a beer. Not just applause from me, but a standing ovation!

He said exactly what I've been thinking only I can't say it because I would be considered a racist. I've heard the exact question from many when he asked where the likes of Sharpton, Jackson, etc. have been in regards to these yes "Hate crimes."

OK, a couple of points:

First, we know this is happening because the kids doing are stupid enough to post it online.

That said, consider this:

1) There are 310mm people in the USA

2) 20% of them, or 62mm are african american

3) ~10mm are in the age range that would commit such a crime (15-25)

4) 5mm of those are male (50%)

5) Even if this was RAMPANT, you'd have 10% of that population actively doing this, or 500k kids.

6) If each kid knocked out 5 people before getting caught or realizing what a sociopath they were, that's 2.5m people who've personally experienced this -- close to 1 in 100 people.

I know every one of you knows at least 100 people, but how many of you personally know somebody who has been attacked this way?  I live in Chicago (a pretty crime-ridden city, which is supposed to be one of the starting points for this game), and I don't know anybody who's had this happen, or ever a "friend of a friend" story that goes with this.

Again I was being really generous with the 10% number, and the 5-per-assailant number, and came to 1 in 100 people.

I am sure this is happening and there are kids stupid enough to copy it, and frankly its disgusting.  But that said, I knew plenty of white/asian/black/whatever classmates that were doing equally stupid and anti-social things when I was that age.

This is horrible and disgusting, but I'm not ready to subscribe to the 'youth of today' or 'media refuses to cover this because the kids are black' logical failures.

I know every one of you knows at least 100 people, but how many of you personally know somebody who has been attacked this way? ...

I knew plenty of white/asian/black/whatever classmates that were doing equally stupid and anti-social things when I was that age.

Because I have a very social job, I've had hundreds, maybe thousands, of acquaintances since a kid tried to drop me back around '91, and I only know of 1 other person this has happened to. That guy was named Kevin, and Kevin was black (and a great guy, RIP). If this is supposed to be some kind of epidemic, it sure has taken it's time getting started. But if anyone wants to believe in some kind of media conspiracy,they can consider whether it doesn't get reported on when it's 'just' black-on-black violence.

When I was 15, we used to go down near the shore to get our drunk on, and then we'd throw the empty beer bottles at passing cars who dared drive through the white man's ghetto.

The "rich kids" (as we thought of anybody who had a father who worked) had more to lose, less to rebel against, and - when they did rebel - were more careful about what they could get away with.

applause.

Dude was speaking the truth. 

Like I said in my earlier post, I try to help out the young dudes out here, the ones that want help. I try to tell them unless you have to defend yourself, violence is rarely the answer.

Knocking out strangers when they aren't looking? That is the most cowardly act somebody can commit. Wussies man. Straight up wussies....

Here's my take...the most sensational of the YouTube videos being linked on news websites are not recent attacks, they're from a while back.  I only just heard about this game in the past few weeks.  My guess concerning the recent attacks in D.C...probably urban youth who, like me, just heard about this game and, unlike me, decided to try it out.  Certainly not an epidemic.

As for me, I am not a small person, and probably not a prime target, since the victims appear to be either women or older folks.  I never walk around DC with my earphones in, and I'm relatively aware, because I work in a transitioning area of the city.  Having just heard about this game, I was paying more attention to my surroundings than usual, and walking to my bus stop a few days ago, noticed a group of black youths loitering and carrying on.  Normally, I wouldn't pay them a second thought, but because I had recently heard about this game, I became more narrow focused, puffed my chest out a little, made sure they knew I was aware of them.  Even though this was in a nicer part of DC and it was relatively crowded with tons of witnesses.

Well, I got closer and realized they were loitering because two of their group were helping an older Asian couple break down their street vending cart, and pack it into their car.  I felt a little ashamed of myself, but it's food for thought about appearances.

awesome story!

i have a similar one... when i was a little kid my mom was driving me to Nags Head (i can't remember if my brother was there or not :) )but there was a giant storm, torrential downpour, and my mom pulled off the highway somehere in the tidewater/norfolk area.  It turned out to be a really "black" neighborhood, and my suburban white mom started to get a little nervous.

then... we drove through a "small puddle" that turned out to be 4 feet deep.... the car started to sink, and fill up with water, and a whole bunch of black kids and teens came running out of nearby yard, laughing and pointing.    my mom.... blanched... and her eyes get as wide as saucers.... she knew we were sitting ducks... and she knew what was going to happen next.....

which was, of course, that these teens would jump into the puddle, and together push our car out of the puddle....explaining that it happens ALL the time there, and that they hoped our engine was ok  (it was).

my mom told that story often.  the rush of emotions:  tripidation, merging to downright fear, to relief, to absolute gratitude, and finally ending in shame at the way she had felt.

The Salon piece is kind of snotty, but the point it makes is accurate.

Just so its clear, I am not claiming that black people and hispanic people do not commit a larger percentage of crime.  They do.  They are the poorest and most marginalized members of our society, and that is where the most crime happens.   The breakdown of the African American family makes it that much worse.

What I am claiming is that there is no sudden hidden epidemic of blacks attacking white people for no reason, and the media won't report it, and law enforcement doesn't care, etc.  That is bull****, bull**** that Drudge and World Net Daily are peddling to grab page hits.  

There are over 300 million people in this country.   There will always be a few horrible incidents if you look for them.  There always have been in the past too.  However, a few videos on youtube and some breathless headlines by Matt Drudge do not demonstrate an epidemic in a country this size.

Do you remember all the stories about "Jelly bracelets" - girls were wearing rubber bracelets and if a boy snapped them, they had to have sex.  Total bull****.  How about all the stories about Jenkem, the drug made from fermented feces that all the urban thugs were supposedly taking?  Total bull****.  

But at the same time, don't be a paranoid fool.  Statistically, it's really not that dangerous out there, even in the middle of big cities.   And you really, really don't have to worry about roving gangs of black hoodlums looking for "polar bears" like you to assault.  The chance of that happening is about one in 10 million.

Predicto, I'm not trying to say anything about race, one way or the other.  I don't really care who's doing this stuff because as I see, it will eventually permiate any racial barrier.  If this continutes, it's only a matter of time before you have all races of young kids doing this kind of thing.  That, in no way, shape or form, is a good thing.  The backlash on this thing is going to be severe.   It's going to be heavy handed and it can only lead to more violence against all young people.   Don't miss understand me, the people who are doing this, whatever color they may be, deserve everything they get and more but it won't stay contained to just those people.  Eventually, young people who are not responsible will get caught up in this and then you will have all kinds of other people up in arms about it but it's unavoidable, so long as you protect these fools who are committing these acts.  

You have to stand up and put a stop to this kind of thing or it will get out of hand.   I don't agree with your take here Predicto.

Archived