Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who are potential candidates for Dan to Replace Shanny with: GM and Coaching?

88Comrade2000

Is it silly to think that Gruden may be a good fit not only because of his coaching experience, but over the last few years, being an analyst, researching all 32 teams and watching them play week in and week out? Part of me thinks this knowledge can only help. Then again, part of me feels like we'd here a bunch of this if Gruden was hired...

w0ngu8.jpg

2v18die.jpg

I'm to the point that no hire will excite me.  This team has to show me good results before I drink anymore kool-aid.  I thought last year was that and I was chugging kool-aid by the gallons before the season started. Lesson learned.  I'm not going to get hyped up about any hire or addition until it yields results.

I'm iffy about going the college route. I don't want a SB retread.  I guess I would want a hungry OC who has the potential to be a Sean Payton or Mike McCarthy.

Briles can indeed happen, it wouldn't involve teaching our QB a new system, & he would like the money to be dure...but relishes the NFL challenge.

Rumor I've heard was that buyout was upwards of $20mil for a collegiate switch to keep Texas & USC away...but that an NFL buyout was much cheaper at around $5-$10 mill because a ) the length of the contract, & b ) he wants to keep the NFL option open to a team he likes & wants him bad enough.

I wouldn't be against Gruden as our GM, but I agree with the sentiment that we should stay away from retreads.

Briles/Spanos/Gruden sure looks good on paper don't it?

I don't think Bruce Allen is going anywhere, which really disturbs me.

He left Tampa in cap hell.

He got us a 36 million dollar cap penalty.

And remember, he's supposed to be a "numbers guy" not a "personnel guy".

But Snyder clearly loves him. 

Ugh.

On paper, the Skins job looks pretty good. Some nice young talent in key positions, cap room, a division with only one team on the way up (Philly).

But the owner's track record would give me great pause if I was a coach in demand.

Jon Gruden reuniting with Bruce Allen would make me vomit.

Think Jay Gruden and Darrell Bevell could/should be names to track on the assistant front. Would love to see Zimmer get his shot, but he doesn't strike me as the type Danny would hire.

David Shaw and Briles aren't going anywhere. But Kevin Sumlin might... and he might be the best choice of all the college coaches.

Who knows? I could still see Shanny getting another year.

How can anyone have confidence in Danny making the right hire?

Be careful when you say you don't want a retread.

Last time we hired a hot shot young talented mind it didn't work out so well.

There might be something to be said for track record.

Danny has missed with retreads, new treads, all of the above.

And a lot of coaches -- smart ones obviously -- said no to him.

Maybe he can hire that high school coach who always goes for it on fourth down.

Be careful when you say you don't want a retread.

Last time we hired a hot shot young talented mind it didn't work out so well.

There might be something to be said for track record.

No single coach has ever won a SB with two different teams. There is no reason for us to try to be the first. 

You get a hungry, brilliant mind that can lead men and knows the current game and go from there. Retreads are always arrogant, stuck in their ways clinging to their old archaic systems and ways of doing things. 

I have a feeling that Shanny will be here a few more years. I of course have no direct knowledge or sources but I just don't see Dan firing Shanahan because A) he tried to get him for years and B) he doesn't want to be viewed as the same old meddling owner we've all grown to abhor (Well not me, I think the man is trying to win.). And Shanny does have some very credible excuses IMO. He has had an immeasurable amount of bad luck every offseason. If he is fired he will certainly be justified in feeling he was screwed by the NFL.

I have a feeling that Shanny will be here a few more years. I of course have no direct knowledge or sources but I just don't see Dan firing Shanahan because A) he tried to get him for years and B) he doesn't want to be viewed as the same old meddling owner we've all grown to abhor (Well not me, I think the man is trying to win.). And Shanny does have some very credible excuses IMO. He has had an immeasurable amount of bad luck every offseason. If he is fired he will certainly be justified in feeling he was screwed by the NFL.

Shanny was fired after the 2008 season.  I think Snyder asked Shanny if he wanted to coach the Skins and Shanny said he was taking a year off.   So Zorn got year 2.  Then during midseason, when it was clear that Zorn was done; Snydyer asked Shanny if he would take over midseason.  Shanny said no.

3 time was the charm, after firing Zorn at the end of the year.   Danny only made attempts at Shanny in 2009; it wasn't years.

Shanny was fired after the 2008 season.  I think Snyder asked Shanny if he wanted to coach the Skins and Shanny said he was taking a year off.   So Zorn got year 2.  Then during midseason, when it was clear that Zorn was done; Snydyer asked Shanny if he would take over midseason.  Shanny said no.

3 time was the charm, after firing Zorn at the end of the year.   Danny only made attempts at Shanny in 2009; it wasn't years.

Where did you get this info from? Snyder originally wanted Jim Fassel after Gibbs 2.0 (vomit)

Not to thread jack but I distincly remember Dan and Mike becoming friends when Mike was still with Denver and vowing to get him as a coach one day. I remember the whole narrative in the press. Something about making a run at Bowlen to pry Shanny away. Anyway, it is just a feeling i have. I think Shanny stays, scapegoats Haslett, and spends like a druken sailor in FA.

If the redskins do hire a new coach, what about the Auburn head coach Gus Malzone (if that's how you spell it). He runs a great college offense and has the program back on track after a horrible season in 2012, not to mention working with mobil quarterbacks like Cam Newton. If not him Art Briles but I say let Shanny finish out his contract. I remember the Chargers fans were on a hard fire Marty campaign in the mid 00's and on his last season to show them something most likely he takes that team to 12-4. You never know when it can all come together.

If we fire Shanny after this year, this organization will continue to be the butt of NFL jokes.. Everyone blames the owner.. Everyone will be correct if he does fire this staff..  I see the players have bought into this system, except for one or two players.. You can't be a successful business / organization with a turn over ever three / four years.

Edit.. To clarify.. Position Coaches such as Special Teams and QB coaches are free game.

I'd love to know what "stability" the current regime has brought to this organization? We have been stable, but at the bad level. Mike/Bruce have hit on a few players that I could count on one hand. Even Zorn managed to do that. Some people only think that we are a stable organization now because they have heard it over and over again from the parasites until the lie became a false reality.

I don't know who should take over, I have no ideas or suggestions but I know that their must be a change. Chris Russel and some other "insiders" keep talking as if we who want the current regime gone are crazy. Things are said like "No idea what you are talking about" "Patience is key" "stability is key" "He was told he would get 5 years." Well **** happens. What have they done to show that a 5th year would make any sort of difference? Have no evidence that the team has gotten better since he took over. One fluke year where the team got emotional and hot on a streak. It was still a bad team. It is like 05 and 07 where we were also not that good and it took some streaks to get a WC. Bruce Allen is only a "yes man" and nothing more. Mike is too arrogant and egotistical. He then battles with the locker room and makes a fool out of himself. He has zero reliability when it comes to anything other than a running game. 4 years is more than enough time to turn around an organization if done properly. He  has had his time and it should be up.

I hope he is fired along with Haz and burns and Bruce. The team needs a schematic overhaul.

I'm not worried about who, I would just like to see a commitment to a winning management hierarchy

Something we have not seen in Snyders entire tenure. You hire a GM. You then let him build the team and hire the coaching staff

Exactly. No way do you want Snyder picking another coach.

Make Allen VP of whatever, keep AJ Smith and Morocco Brown, and...maybe bring in Scott Pioli. Yes, the Chiefs were awful during his tenure there, but he did find a number of pro-bowlers; he just failed miserably at finding the right QB and coach. Well, we've got a QB already...let Smith, Pioli & Brown debate amongst themselves to select a coach.

If we fire Shanny after this year, this organization will continue to be the butt of NFL jokes.. Everyone blames the owner.. Everyone will be correct if he does fire this staff..  I see the players have bought into this system, except for one or two players.. You can't be a successful business / organization with a turn over ever three / four years.

Edit.. To clarify.. Position Coaches such as Special Teams and QB coaches are free game.

What evidence is there that players have bought in to this system? It actually appears to be the exact opposite for offense defense and ST. 

One year removed from a division title we are ready to fire the coach and GM? I am ok firing Haslett because our defense has no continuity from series to series as it is. And we need to bring in, at the very least some safety and linebacker help, so we will have some really important changes coming up (hopefully). The offense, though, has flashed brilliance at times. We need to give the Shannys a full healthy offseason with RG3 and see if things are different coming into his third year. We saw what could happen when this offense got clicking last year. What ruins QBs is changing systems every couple of years. This particular fanbase should know this.

Yeah this is generally where I'm at. Give Shanahan one real off season with a full cap, give them one real off season with a healthy QB. Give them one more year.

**** Jim Haslett though

Archived