Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who are potential candidates for Dan to Replace Shanny with: GM and Coaching?

88Comrade2000

No change in coaching staff please. One scheme. One philosophy. One dictator in the front office. On throat to choke. 

Even if he's a boring at press conference.

Give the current team lots of salary cap room, productive off-season to coach Griffin, oodles of luck with injury avoidance and we will make the playoffs. So will every other team that has these given to them. But we will as well. 

We've lost very close games due to crappy play. I don't think coaches can get Griffin to react faster and be more accurate on a gimpy knee. Even Gruden or some college wiz-kid. Not happening.

I'm so tired of coaching and regime change. We've got good people. They may not be great, but they are good enough to win with. They've held this team together despite some bad years. Had great drafts. Have a QB finally.

Now's not time to confuse the heck out of Griffin with a coaching change!

I agree with most of this - as unpopular as that opinion may be. I just remember all the coaches changes Campbell had, even throughout college.

It just scares me to switch coaching staffs on RGIIIs third year - I can see the apologists already in 2014... "Give it another year, Griffin has to get used to this scheme!"... especially if the ZBS is discarded, meaning a retool for the OL (which I suppose we need already as it is).

Skins fans, for the past 20 years, have screamed for continuity (at least I have) because that is one of the major components that winning franchises all have in common. Perhaps we should see what the Shanaplan is with the 'extra' 18 mil before we send him packing.

I don't want him to leave.  I read a few of his conversations the last few days and I think he's dead on with the teams problems.  The guys a good coach and he doesn't get all out of whack no matter how bad things get.  I'd like to see him get this going next year.  I think he can turn this around with a little work on a few positions.  

I don't want him to leave.  I read a few of his conversations the last few days and I think he's dead on with the teams problems.  The guys a good coach and he doesn't get all out of whack no matter how bad things get.  I'd like to see him get this going next year.  I think he can turn this around with a little work on a few positions.  

I think the majority would be okay with that as long as some members of the staff are changed. That may be why he hasn't pulled the plug on anyone yet, it's his "get out of jail free" card.

I agree with most of this - as unpopular as that opinion may be. I just remember all the coaches changes Campbell had, even throughout college.

It just scares me to switch coaching staffs on RGIIIs third year - I can see the apologists already in 2014... "Give it another year, Griffin has to get used to this scheme!"... especially if the ZBS is discarded, meaning a retool for the OL (which I suppose we need already as it is).

Skins fans, for the past 20 years, have screamed for continuity (at least I have) because that is one of the major components that winning franchises all have in common. Perhaps we should see what the Shanaplan is with the 'extra' 18 mil before we send him packing.

I am torn on Mike being staying here. I would like for him to stay if he agreed to relinquish any and all handling of the defensive side of the ball. I can;t figure out why he is consumed with the idea of having his own hands on the defense. It killed him in Denver, and the way things are playing out now it's going to finish him here.

I really think all this speculation is for nothing. Shanahan comes back next year, scapegoats Haslett and maybe Burns and gets to spend all the cap space. I really don't think that Dan Snyder at this point will blame anyone in the FO save Haslett for the problems of this season.

I'm sure he still feels the sting of the cap penalty and knows what that did to our changes at building a quality roster for two whole years and beyond in all likelyhood. I just can't see Dan firing Mike Shanahan after all the roadblocks that the NFL HQ jerks threw in his way. Mike will right the ship next season or year five will be the last of his 'Skins tenure.

And what happens if it is more of the same next season but by then Mike has spent $30+mil in cap space trying to salvage his job and career this offseason? 

Then we are in bind. 

And what happens if it is more of the same next season but by then Mike has spent $30+mil in cap space trying to salvage his job and career this offseason? 

Then we are in bind. 

We're in a bind now. I think it is a better the devil you know situation. We could hire the next Steve Spurrier to spend that money and we'd be even worse off. Or we could hire the next Belicheat and still lose. Nothing is guaranteed in this life. I don't think replacing a head coach with all the personnel and system change is as easy as most of you think. We're looking at three years for a rebuild with a new coach minimum. We need some new pieces to fit in the ZBS. We need a new NT. We have too many players that fit this system to try and change the entire roster even with the projected cap space we have.

But if our defense can go through a revolution in scheme and we keep the offense intact which is top 5 and 1st in rushing and with a healthy third year QB running the show I bet we're a contender next year. We have a solid foundation that is about to get a nice new first floor built on it. Patience is my advice.

The only "system" guys that we really need to replace are 3 or 4 OL. The rest of the roster is fine from a system standpoint assuming we continue the 3-4. 

That doesn't mean we don't need upgrades ion the DL etc but I think the ZBS OL outside of Trent are the only pieces a new coach might not be able to work with. Honestly, even if we keep Shanahan 3 or 4 OL need to be upgraded anyway so what difference does it make

As the OP of this thread; count me in the column of wanting Shanny gone.

A few changes here and there isn't enough from me. 

Shanny is hit and miss as a GM.   Shanny is at best a mediocre coach, who is living off the fact he won 2 superbowls in 1997-1998 with John Elway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Shanahan

Since he won those 2 superbowls:

99- 6-10  First year post Elway

00- 11-6- loses wild card game

01- 8-8

02- 9-7

03- 10-7- loses wild card game

04- 10-7- loses wild card game

05- 14-4- Wins West and loses AFC Championship- His last real great season

Since 2006:

06-  9-7

07-  7-9

08-  8-8  - He gets fired from Denver

10-  6-10

11-  5-11

12-  10-7- Wins NFC EASt but loses in wild card round

In the Post Elway era, Shanny has been just mediocre and with us, he's been mostly down right awful.

In order for this franchise to move on, it must excise itself of the cancer known as Mike Shanahan.  To clense itself; especially at this critical stage in Robert's career; we need to make the change.

It took Cowher 11 years to win a SB. He stuck with Kordell Stewart way too long. I don't want Cowher anywhere near this team.

And if we need to get a new coach I'm all in for Briles. It won't happen anyway but that's my vote.

edit: Everyone says "post-Elway" when refering to Shanny. But no one says "pre-Shanny" when refering to Elway. It takes more than one player to win it all. Winning a SB is the hardest thing to do in sports, IMO. Those that do have incredible skill, talent and most of all incredible luck. We've got incredible talent at the QB, we're going to get some upgrades in skill this offseason. Now we just need some incredible luck to bring it all together.

They didn't stick with same losing system for 5 years and then suddenly turn the corner into the successful team you know them as. Who are the successful teams you are thinking of anyway?

The Colts? The Patriots? The Ravens? The Giants?

I mean come on, they all were successful immediately after coaching changes. Coughlin had a rough start, was on the hot seat and won a SB so thats a little different. 

The difference is, Shanny came in behind VERY, poor management, (possibly the worse management in the HISTORY of the NFL) cleaned up a mess, then got nailed with two year b.s. cap penalties. 

Coaching changes + new QB's having to learn new systems = repeated failure....

See the Washington Redskins.

Philly and New York is worse my friend

It seems to me Philly and New York have been able to keep a QB around for longer than 4 years and coaches longer than 5, people were calling for Shanny to get  the boot during his second season.   Look at how we are treating Griff right now, the man is in his second year and people are already saying he is a failure.....I'm pretty sure Eli and or McNabb didn't go through this hell during their second season.

Griffin adapted (very) well the first year to Shannys offense after coming from a college system. Why does anyone think change to another coach would "confuse him?" I thought we got rid of Jason Campbell a long time ago.

Here, see this list ....mainly during the Snyder era

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Washington_Redskins_starting_quarterbacks

and compare it to this list...(Snyder Era)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Washington_Redskins_head_coaches

I'd interview Cowher and Coordinators from successful franchises like Seattle, Carolina, Broncos,etc. Then I'd offer Belichick 50% of the team.

Thinking outside the box...there is something to be said for that. 

I won't say it, but there is definitely something to be said...

Well, I know what coach will be axed first.

RT@HTTR24_7 So a player tried to fight K.Burns at a practice...Surprised that got out, but players are snitching off the record.

https://twitter.com/HTTR24_7/status/403234995848101888

I thought when they brought in Burns he was a highly regarded ST coach. How the hell did this disaster happen?

The difference is, Shanny came in behind VERY, poor management, (possibly the worse management in the HISTORY of the NFL) cleaned up a mess, then got nailed with two year b.s. cap penalties. 

First off, that is way off the topic, which was you claiming that continuity was what led to success, when it's really the other way around. The successful franchises found regimes that worked, then stuck with them. They didn't give coaches five years of mediocrity or worse until things went right.

Secondly, it's not the shape the team was in when he took over that Shanahan is having trouble undoing. It's his own mismanagement. And he certainly doesn't deserve any slack for that.

Well, I know what coach will be axed first.

RT@HTTR24_7 So a player tried to fight K.Burns at a practice...Surprised that got out, but players are snitching off the record.

https://twitter.com/HTTR24_7/status/403234995848101888

Isnt he the same coach that drew the unsportsmanlike penalty for being on the field and in a referee's way, a couple of games ago ?

What if at the end of the season MS decides to step down and his son takes over? Would you be fine with that?

Yes.

And I think that is the best course of action.

Keep the continuity. Hire a dynamic OC, and promote Raheem to DC, and insert London Fletcher as ST coach.

Offensive and defensive schemes will stay pretty similar. Use the cap money to build a line and some DB's.

And dont you just know that Fletcher will have the special teams flying around.

As the OP of this thread; count me in the column of wanting Shanny gone.

A few changes here and there isn't enough from me. 

Shanny is hit and miss as a GM.   Shanny is at best a mediocre coach, who is living off the fact he won 2 superbowls in 1997-1998 with John Elway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Shanahan

Since he won those 2 superbowls:

99- 6-10  First year post Elway

00- 11-6- loses wild card game

01- 8-8

02- 9-7

03- 10-7- loses wild card game

04- 10-7- loses wild card game

05- 14-4- Wins West and loses AFC Championship- His last real great season

Since 2006:

06-  9-7

07-  7-9

08-  8-8  - He gets fired from Denver

10-  6-10

11-  5-11

12-  10-7- Wins NFC EASt but loses in wild card round

In the Post Elway era, Shanny has been just mediocre and with us, he's been mostly down right awful.

In order for this franchise to move on, it must excise itself of the cancer known as Mike Shanahan.  To clense itself; especially at this critical stage in Robert's career; we need to make the change.

I heart this post

No change in coaching staff please. One scheme. One philosophy. One dictator in the front office. On throat to choke. 

Even if he's a boring at press conference.

Give the current team lots of salary cap room, productive off-season to coach Griffin, oodles of luck with injury avoidance and we will make the playoffs. So will every other team that has these given to them. But we will as well. 

We've lost very close games due to crappy play. I don't think coaches can get Griffin to react faster and be more accurate on a gimpy knee. Even Gruden or some college wiz-kid. Not happening.

I'm so tired of coaching and regime change. We've got good people. They may not be great, but they are good enough to win with. They've held this team together despite some bad years. Had great drafts. Have a QB finally.

Now's not time to confuse the heck out of Griffin with a coaching change!    Not even haslett? are you MAD?

Yes.

And I think that is the best course of action.

Keep the continuity. Hire a dynamic OC, and promote Raheem to DC, and insert London Fletcher as ST coach.

Offensive and defensive schemes will stay pretty similar. Use the cap money to build a line and some DB's.

And dont you just know that Fletcher will have the special teams flying around.

I want a pro style 3,5,7 step drop offense. I'm tired of all those long hand off or pitch to Morris in the back field. The OL is too centered towards run blocking. RG3 runs too much. That crap doesn't last in this league. Even the beast called Cam Newton doesn't run as much to avoid getting hit. But he runs effectively. He picks his spot and give himself up quick(Cam is a smart dude, I have to say). I hate all those gimmicks with 5 players in the backfield every down. We deserve a pro style offense like everyone, even if we lose. Enough of this masking our weakness bs. We need to start on a clean slate with new coaches and new system.

Archived