Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who are potential candidates for Dan to Replace Shanny with: GM and Coaching?

88Comrade2000

Cowher is another retread, no thank you.

No to Gruden and retreads.

Give me the high risk college coach or brilliant coordinator. We need someone hungry to make their name not reawaken past glory.

i used to be all about a retread (cowher, gruden). but now ive seen how out of touch shanahan is with the current game, i want a fresh new mind to come in.

Bill Belichick is a retread. Pete Carroll is a retread. Andy Reid is a retread. Tom Coughlin is a retread. John Fox is a retread.

It's okay to want a change of pace from what you've been doing recently, but don't proclaim that retreads are some kind of mistake just because it didn't give you instant results.

Bill Belichick is a retread. Pete Carroll is a retread. Andy Reid is a retread. Tom Coughlin is a retread. John Fox is a retread.

It's okay to want a change of pace from what you've been doing recently, but don't proclaim that retreads are some kind of mistake just because it didn't give you instant results.

None of those guys you listed won a Super Bowl somewhere else first. That's what we mean--no coach has ever won a Super Bowl for two different teams.

None of those guys you listed won a Super Bowl somewhere else first. That's what we mean--no coach has ever won a Super Bowl for two different teams.

Hmm... but it doesn't mean it's impossible.

I know this will sound like trolling coming from an Eagles' fan, but sometimes it's not only about winning a superbowl. Sometimes when you're down, you just need to get consistently relevant again, and then build from there. I think the Redskins need a roster builder as much as they need a guy who can win in the playoffs.

What evidence is there that players have bought in to this system? It actually appears to be the exact opposite for offense defense and ST. 

Playoffs last year... Team didn't give up yesterday.. No comments coming from the locker room.  I won't debate the RG3 comments as that seems to be like talking about "Religion or Politics" on these boards.

Guys one thing Dan hasn't done is hire. Component GM. That's what's needed here. Hire a GM and stay out of the way Dan.

Whoever comes here is going to inherit a QB,WR,RB,LT,TE

CB,OLB

Hell of a start

As long as you don't pick the special teams coach

J/K ( I love you bang lol)

Are we sure aabout RB.   Is Alfred's success soley because of him or does the zone blocking scheme aid in that?

Playoffs last year... 

Last years playoffs were a fluke when thinking back on it. I will admit that during last year I thought we had turned the corner but after a few games I was wrong. I looked back to us being 3-6, we were not a good team, we got hot and emotional at the right time and went on a streak. Don't let emotional hot streaks fool you. in 07 we were also not a good team but we were fueled enough for a emotional stream after ST passed. In 05 we were also not a great team, granted we were decent but it required a late season run also. Of course the team doesn't ever give up, they are professionals but that should not count towards anything. You can try as hard as you want and never give up but if you're getting your ass kicked then you're getting your ass kicked.

No to Gruden and retreads.

Give me the high risk college coach or brilliant coordinator. We need someone hungry to make their name not reawaken past glory.

I say Steve Spurrier....no wait we already tried that, the only thing Danny hasn't tried yet is..... Keeping the same coach and system is place for more than 4 years, screw that **** though because none of the succesful teams ever have consistency by sticking with the same system.

I've drawn the conclusion that the Redskins fans and the media are by far the worse in the NFL, possibly in all of sports.

Where did you get this info from? Snyder originally wanted Jim Fassel after Gibbs 2.0 (vomit)

You did read that I was talking about 2009.

Shanny was still the coach of the Broncos in 2008; so he wasn't available in 2008 when Danny wanted Fassell but ended up with Zorn.

When Shanny got fired from the Broncos after the 2008 season; the word was that Dan asked Shanny to become the Skins coach and Shanny said he was taking a year off.  So, Danny stayed with Zorn for a second year.  Then later in 2009 when it became apparent Zorn was in over his head; Dan wanted Shanny to come midseason and Shanny said no.   When Dan fired Zorn; Shanny was really the only candidate. 

Exactly. No way do you want Snyder picking another coach.

Make Allen VP of whatever, keep AJ Smith and Morocco Brown, and...maybe bring in Scott Pioli. Yes, the Chiefs were awful during his tenure there, but he did find a number of pro-bowlers; he just failed miserably at finding the right QB and coach. Well, we've got a QB already...let Smith, Pioli & Brown debate amongst themselves to select a coach.

Bizarre that some folks seem to think Bruce Allen is still super well-respected in the NFL.

He was done when Snyder hired him. He's going to do what Danny wants.

Also, for a guy who is supposed to be a "financial wizard with the cap"... I mean, he ran Tampa into the ground cap-wise and got us hit with a massive cap penalty.

Bruce Allen is a clown, at best... Just Vinny in a nicer suit sprinkled with a bit of football pedigree. Make no mistake, he's Snyder's flunkie and someone Shanny was cool working with as long as it was still Shanny who calls all the shots.

Snyder is a tool.

I say Steve Spurrier....no wait we already tried that, the only thing Danny hasn't tried yet is..... Keeping the same coach and system is place for more than 4 years, screw that **** though because none of the succesful teams ever have consistency by sticking with the same system.

I've drawn the conclusion that the Redskins fans and the media are by far the worse in the NFL, possibly in all of sports.

They didn't stick with same losing system for 5 years and then suddenly turn the corner into the successful team you know them as. Who are the successful teams you are thinking of anyway?

The Colts? The Patriots? The Ravens? The Giants?

I mean come on, they all were successful immediately after coaching changes. Coughlin had a rough start, was on the hot seat and won a SB so thats a little different. 

I still don't understand how we can say that the cap penalty was anyone in this FO's fault. The contracts were approved. The punishment was handed down 2 full years after the fact and then the process was handled in secret w/o any oversight or knowledge from our owner/GM. It was the epitome of a screw job by Dan Snyder's rivals. Our whole fan base should still be livid and remain so for a decade or more. I absolutely refuse to accept that the 'Skins did anything wrong in that whole mess.

Head Coach's:

5. Jay Gruden (Not John)

4. Todd Bowles

3. Lovie Smith

2. Pete Carmichael, Jr

1. David Shaw

GM (Who should hire head Coach)

5. Russ Ball

4. Joe Hortiz

3. Brian Gutekunst

2. Ryan Pace

1. Nick Caserio

Philly and New York is worse my friend

David Shaw.

For me:

1. David Shaw

2. Josh McDaniel

3. Jay Gruden

Would also love to get David Shaw.

My Dream scenario would be HC Briles or Shaw with D-Coordinator Ray Horton!!!!!!!!!!!

Head Coach's:

5. Jay Gruden (Not John)

4. Todd Bowles

3. Lovie Smith

2. Pete Carmichael, Jr

1. David Shaw

You can cross David Shaw off of your list. He isn't leaving Stanford anytime soon.

David Shaw: “I plan on being here for a very long time”

With the success he’s had at Stanford and his NFL background, it’s only natural that Shaw would receive interest from pro teams.

“I had a 9-year run in the NFL it was phenomenal,” said Shaw, who was an offensive assistant for 3 different teams. “One of the best things about the NFL is that you’re coaching the best in the world.”

But the Cardinal Coach has no intentions of leaving his current gig.

“I absolutely love it here,” said Shaw. “My family loves it here. My wife is an East Coast woman who’s been transplanted here to Palo Alto, California and never wants to leave. So I plan on being here for a very long time.”

http://jimrome.com/2013/09/25/david-shaw-i-plan-on-being-here-for-a-very-long-time/

Hmm... but it doesn't mean it's impossible.

I know this will sound like trolling coming from an Eagles' fan, but sometimes it's not only about winning a superbowl. Sometimes when you're down, you just need to get consistently relevant again, and then build from there. I think the Redskins need a roster builder as much as they need a guy who can win in the playoffs.

I think, despite our poor W/L record, we've already had that guy in Shanahan--here's a post I wrote yesterday about it:

In a lot of ways, I don't really blame Shanahan for the fact that we're kind of a "high floor, low ceiling" team. That's the team he set out to build, possibly until this most recent draft where he took some risks--coming into a situation with a shallow, top-heavy, old, untalented roster, the best way to turn around the culture and the team was to fill it with safe, hard working guys. Unfortunately he hasn't been able to keep them disciplined on the field, but his entire plan revolved around drafting solid, high character, hard working leadership types with plenty of starting experience in college. Not explosive playmakers or speed merchants or difference makers with other questions marks, or raw players filled with potential. Just safe, "high floor, low ceiling" guys that would mesh well. And so, that explains why our roster is the way it is.

In short, considering a new regime could come to D.C. with the franchise QB and some other offensive pieces already in place and TONS of cap space to spend on their own guys, as well as plenty of decent (if boring) young depth, Shanahan may have been a great "Steward" for this roster. He was able to pull us out of the abyss, but not enough to lift us to the highest reaches of success we now aspire to. And that's fine. That can be for the next guy.

So, even if this team isn't where we want it to be, it's in a better place for a new coach to come in and make his mark than it was when Shanahan got here.

And don't worry, didn't interpret it as trolling--had no idea you were an eagles fan!

Bizarre that some folks seem to think Bruce Allen is still super well-respected in the NFL.

I think you misunderstood my post - I said make him VP of whatever...(essentially have him handle PR, be the public face, etc). NOWHERE in the post did I ascribe any genuine responsibilities to be given him, nor would I. He can just continue what he's doing now - essentially ceremonial presence.

Yeah we need to hitch our wagon to the next Shanahan or Cowher or somebody, the up and comer with fresh ideas, motivated to win a SB, that can relate to players and knows the modern game and trends of the NFL.

That's what everyone thought they had in Zorn. Halfway into his second season I realized Snyder put him in the position because he was a puppet. No real up & coming candidate wanted to come here and have their reputation messed up.

Hoping Snyder doesn't regress to his old ways. If he hires a proper GM and stays out the way, like he is now, then there still might be hope.

That's what everyone thought they had in Zorn. Halfway into his second season I realized Snyder put him in the position because he was a puppet. No real up & coming candidate wanted to come here and have their reputation messed up.

Hoping Snyder doesn't regress to his old ways. If he hires a proper GM and stays out the way, like he is now, then there still might be hope.

I don't think people really thought that. Zorn wasn't qualified to be a coach, he was barely qualified to be the OC he was hired to be. And hell who knows what would have happened had he actually become an OC for a team with a good HC. But that didn't happen and anybody that thought he was the next up and comer wasn't paying attention. 

Full disclosure, I was high as kite on Zorn at 6-2

I just feel like our passing game is way too simple to let Kyle off the hook like that. By simple I mean not a lot of route variety, particular routes are avoided like the plague, formations offer no surprises or adjustments for the defense, the passing game is extremely easy to defend despite every game maybe having a couple plays where someone is wide open.

Defenses are figured out this passing game.

I don't disagree with any of this, but I have to wonder how much of this stems from a 2nd year QB that 'missed' the offseason coming from the system he came from. Kyle doesn't seem like the kind of coach content with a 'simple' passing game... but I could be wrong.

Are we sure aabout RB.   Is Alfred's success soley because of him or does the zone blocking scheme aid in that?

Morris in any running scheme with a decent oline would be a problem for defenses. His vision combined with his power is a helluva combo. Behind an oline like San Fran or Seattle he'd be on Sportscenter running over DB's every Monday morning.

I don't disagree with any of this, but I have to wonder how much of this stems from a 2nd year QB that 'missed' the offseason coming from the system he came from. Kyle doesn't seem like the kind of coach content with a 'simple' passing game... but I could be wrong.

I am sure a lot of it did at the beginning of the season but they have had 10 weeks to start tweaking the offense and putting new wrinkles, formations and routes in that we haven't really seen. 

Unless I am extremely underestimating the amount of work it takes to put those things in and teach them to paid professionals. But I don't think that's it because this is the same stuff we have seen for awhile now from this staff with the addition of the RO plays/fakes etc.

Archived