Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FA: *TJAX*Davis, Clingan, RJ, McCoy, DJ, RC, McGlynn, EJ, Moore, Jordan, BMeri, Rogers, Hatcher, Geathers, Sharpton, Porter, Hayward, Lauvao, Roberts

DC9

This is a really interesting breakdown by NameSnag over at Reddit, showing a graphical representation of the pass rush productivity of Redskins players by position compared to the rest of the league.

If we can get a lead with this offense early in games, I think this defense is already good enough as presently constructed to get plenty of pressure on the QB.  Hatcher, Orakpo, Kerrigan, Cofield, and Baker will make QB's lives a living hell next year.

This is a really interesting breakdown by NameSnag over at Reddit, showing a graphical representation of the pass rush productivity of Redskins players by position compared to the rest of the league.

If we can get a lead with this offense early in games, I think this defense is already good enough as presently constructed to get plenty of pressure on the QB. Hatcher, Orakpo, Kerrigan, Cofield, and Baker will make QB's lives a living hell next year.

Isn't that what was said last off season? The d was constructed to be playing with a lead.

If we can get a lead with this offense early in games, I think this defense is already good enough as presently constructed to get plenty of pressure on the QB.  Hatcher, Orakpo, Kerrigan, Cofield, and Baker will make QB's lives a living hell next year.

Didn't see a single stat for Rob Jackson on there.

This was done by a hater.  Say what you want about his "QB pressure" ability... but when you have stats for Phillip Merling, and not Rob Jackson... you are showing all of your cards :lol:

Doesn't really tell us anything we don't know, though.  As dave said above, this defense was built to play with a lead.  That's why RG3 caught so much crap even though things weren't necessarily all his fault.  This team went through him.  Even Rocca was pretty good in 2012 at pinning teams when punting from beyond our 40 yard line... not a lot moves without the QB.

But I digress.  Dude put a lot of work in on that.  Not sure it tells us much, though.

Have you seen our OL play? 

We need at least 2 QBs.

Everyone's o-line is vulnerable at some point.

Obviously execution is the key and the o-line failed to do that the majority of last season.  But I don't buy into the cliche that "playcalling and coaching are always overrated".  In fact, for me, it's the opposite.  Just changing the point of attack and maybe peppering in a little screen pass or two here and there, a little slant action, maybe running more than one or two Iso-blocking runs a game, you might just have that defense guessing.

Improvements still need to be made, though.

I've been saying for a while that I don't think we'll get anything of value for Cousins, but I think I'm underestimating how many people who work for NFL teams aren't really that smart. If Shaub can get a 6 at the end of his career after the season he had, I think I should be more optimistic.

Good to hear we're at least fielding calls for him. I would love to see a 4th or better pick and draft a back up in the 6th-7th.

But I digress.  Dude put a lot of work in on that.  Not sure it tells us much, though.

I know.  It's more the fact that you can actually see the comparison to the rest of the league as a graphical representation, to kind of know where we're at amongst our peers, than drawing any new conclusions from it.

Why would we take a fourth for Cousins? That would mean we had gone backwards in the deal. Even a second/early third would be effectively where we drafted him (using the "future picks being worth a round less" formula). I would take a second in a heart-beat but really, anything else, he is worth keeping.

Why would we take a fourth for Cousins? That would mean we had gone backwards in the deal. Even a second/early third would be effectively where we drafted him (using the "future picks being worth a round less" formula). I would take a second in a heart-beat but really, anything else, he is worth keeping.

I honestly get the feeling that some on here would just outright cut him so that they won't have to hear the 1% who claim that Cousins is better or on the same level as Robert, lol. 

And, as it is every year, the whole "this draft is one of the deepest ever" spiel gets people crazy.  :blink:

There are some who legitimately don't think Cousins is a good QB or has the potential to be a good starter in the league, and I can understand that, though I disagree... but the majority of what I read about him here sounds heavily slanted against him with almost none of the situational context (of which is so willingly applied to Robert) when assessing his play.    

I know.  It's more the fact that you can actually see the comparison to the rest of the league as a graphical representation, to kind of know where we're at amongst our peers, than drawing any new conclusions from it.

I feel really bad for Orakpo when reading that link you posted. The ONE year we had an awesome offense that was putting up points consistently and forcing teams to play behind, he was out for the season. 

Heck, I feel bad for Kerrigan, too, because that same year he was the guy teams focused on once Orakpo went out. 

We've honestly never seen Rak play with a team that consistently generates two-score leads. 

I really can't say I'm convinced 100% that he'll be way more productive with an offense like that, but I think it's pretty dang likely when taking into account his pressure per rush average and the stats in that link showing how little teams passed against us due to never being behind.   

Great link, great article.

It does tell us some things that some already know; but many either don't know or don't acknowledge or selectively ignore this knowledge:

- pass rush from our OLBs was a strength

- our OLBs do not rush the passer enough compared to other 34 schemes OLBs

(therefore Haslett's comment about allowing the OLBs to rush more makes sense)

- Cofield is a good interior pass rusher, but he was the only good interior pass rusher and he plays NT

-Our DEs couldn't provide much interior pressure

- Hatcher is a very good interior pass rusher

-(2012) Reminds us that once upon a time Bowen was a decent interior rusher (but the question remains whether it will ever come back)

-(2012) Suggests that maybe you don't need 2 'featured' OLBs. Kerrigan had a ton of pressures when he was the primary mass rusher and if you look at most 34 teams they have 1 primary OLB pass rusher that they 'spin' to either side of the formations to play macth-ups. But I digress....

- Oue pass rush should be much improved by the addition of Hatcher and more rush attempts from Rak and Ryan

I would try and get as much as I could for Kirk.

But in reality, because its a deep draft, I'll take anything above a 5th.

Disagree, I think a third + or a second is the minimum. You can't automatically pick another Cousins in the fourth or a pick as valuable as a backup QB in the fourth. Considering the injury concerns with any starting QB why give up such a valuable asset for a fourth? Yes deep draft and a third plus a late rounder could help this years haul. 

You can't automatically pick another Cousins in the fourth or a pick as valuable as a backup QB in the fourth. Considering the injury concerns with any starting QB why give up such a valuable asset for a fourth? Yes deep draft and a third plus a late rounder could help this years haul. 

That's because we perceive the QB position and Cousins differently.

I think QBs can be developed over time and I believe a smart franchises always draft a QB to develop.

I also think these developmental QBs are by and large replaceable/interchangeable.

Cousin's production doesn't make him any greater then other back-ups in my opinion.

The only difference between him and some of the other late round QBs drafted since is his draft class is opportunity.

His production has been mediocre, no better then Jon Beck whom everyone hates.

And there were/are several back-ups that I believe right now are more capable then him, to include Colt McCoy.

So while I certainly want to get as much as we can for Cousins; I don't want to keep him just because some team didn't meet our price 2nd/3rd round price.

TLDR: I think Colt McCoy is a good enough replacment at back-up if we lose Kirk and because of this deep draft I think we can get a another developmental QB in the 5th-6th-7th or UDFA and acquiring a 4th round pick still represents value.

Tanard Jackson is back.

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora 1m

The Redskins have been notified by the NFL that suspended S Tanard Jackson will be officially reinstated on Tues, per a league source

Tanard Jackson is back.

The Redskins have been notified by the NFL that suspended S Tanard Jackson will be officially reinstated on Tues, per a league source

Alright!  Now we don't have to worry about safety in the draft at all!

Tanard Jackson is back.

Man wouldn't that be great if he did everything right in his time "off" and he can challenge for a starting or rotational spot.  We would be set at safety with Thomas and Rambo having time to learn 

Yeah, I thought Tanard was a FS. Please, not another interchangeable safety debate lol...

I stated I thought he was a SS in the T-Jax thread...it seems to me like he played like a SS when I watched him during the 2012 pre-season. My memory isn't the greatest, however.

Archived