Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Xbox One Vs Ps4

DM72

4 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Regarding the controller, as far as I know, you can still just get a pro controller and play all switch games with that instead of the jubicon controller things that appear to look and feel like my cheap car stereo remote did in 2002 

Right, but that is separate so I still have to pay for something I don't want which is a tablet with those controllers.  Then I have to pay for the pro controller.  

8 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

They need to start allowing PSN members to change their usernames without having to create a whole new account. It's ridiculous, their explanation for it is not acceptable, and their competitor does it and has been doing it for a long time. 

Does your Game data, trophies, downloaded games etc carry over tho? 

It can't be as bad as Nintendo where you keep the same name and still have to pay for your downloaded games again. Just a highway robbery. 

Also, it's embarrassing that Nintendo decided to handle the party /mic situation on the switch through a cell phone app and not the system itself. Basically they are shooting the multiplayer to hell before it ever even starts. 

7 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Nintendo also has that fake shortage thing they do with every system where they intentionally try to create more demand. 

Don't even get me started on that.  

3 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

If they pull that with the SNES classic, I will riot 

You are either going to riot or pay $200+ on ebay for one for at least 6 months or longer....

5 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

If they pull that with the SNES classic, I will riot 

Well I think I recently read something that said it's happening with the mini-NES. People would love to buy that and play all the old school games, either they are really this incompetent on supply and demand or someone needs to fill them in on their marketing strategy of "It must be good because no one can find one". It doesn't work. You can lose a customer very easily. Not everyone is a hardcore gamer, willing to search and/or wait for your product. Many more consumers will make the choice to buy your product, not be able to find it available, and then forget to search again at a later date. You can lose a customer just like that. 

1 minute ago, The Evil Genius said:

I think most people know how to plug a USB connector in and follow the on screen prompts. It's when you actually have to take apart your game system to upgrade it - that's when you should question where you should actually be a PC snob or not.

:P

Seriously, they have a ton of tutorials online and it really wasn't hard to do.  The internal hard drive just plugs right in.  It's literally sliding off the top, unscrewing like 2 screws, pulling out the drive, inserting the new one, rescrewing two screws and putting the top back on.  Then booting it up with the USB flash drive (with the OS on it and game save data) and following the instructions.  

Yes, you have to reinstall/re-download your games, but for all the digital ones, they are listed in your library and you can start the digital downloads from there.  It's just a huge time consumption depending on how many games you have.  Nobody should have a hard time doing it as long as they follow simple instructions.  

But........there was zero reason to not allow external drives until now.  And they can go **** themselves for adding it after I changed my internal drive out, just because.

Just now, Gamebreaker said:

Well I think I recently read something that said it's happening with the mini-NES. People would love to buy that and play all the old school games, either they are really this incompetent on supply and demand or someone needs to fill them in on their marketing strategy of "It must be good because no one can find one". It doesn't work. You can lose a customer very easily. Not everyone is a hardcore gamer, willing to search and/or wait for your product. Many more consumers will make the choice to buy your product, not be able to find it available, and then forget to search again at a later date. You can lose a customer just like that. 

They are still sold out online, everywhere, just looked today.  Talking regular price and not the third party crackhead prices on Ebay and Amazon where it's $200+.  I've read that Toys R Us and Game Stops are getting them in stores, but limited quantities and both are still not showing them available online.

14 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Does your Game data, trophies, downloaded games etc carry over tho? 

In regards to Sony and PSN, no it doesn't. Which is why when I changed my Xbox gamertag I left my PSN name alone. On Xbox I can just pay the $10, and if the Gamertag is unused I can change it and keep everything else the same. 

And yeah, how Nintendo is handling it and their voice chat is just....wow. An app? But I'm not surprised, because I recall reading an article that went in depth about how out of touch Nintendo is with what Sony and Microsoft are doing. They don't even play those systems or use those services, so they have even less idea on how it works than the gamers. If I'm adding a service to my platform that my competition does well, I think I would decide to get the basics right and at least check out how it all works. 

Speaking of the NES Classic, I just called up the Game Stop down the road and they told me they haven't had any in stock in about one month and they only got 3-5 consoles then.  Also said that it was basically the same for all their stores in the area.  

Same with Toys R Us, haven't had any since mid-January.  I looked on Amazon and the price has come down on new ones, lowest being $110.  Don't think I'm gonna pay that much for it though.  

1 hour ago, Gamebreaker said:

The point would be to make money, and to have a system that was still supported two years from now. And even if they made a more traditional system, their first party games would make the system unique enough to differentiate it from Sony and Microsoft. But they need to make a system that third party publishers and developers want to work on. If not, the Switch will fall into the same cycle that Nintendo systems have been in since GameCube. 

Problem is that there's no guarantee a traditional system will make them money.  You mention the Gamecube as being where Nintendo fell into the cycle.  Thing is, the Gamecube was a traditional no-frills game console.  It was more powerful than the PS2 (close to Xbox in power) while being cheaper than both PS2 and Xbox, and yet the consumers and third parties went for the weaker and more expensive PS2.

So they went and tried something different with the Wii and made money hand-over-fist.  They tried something different again with the Wii U and it didn't go over as well with consumers.

For my money, I prefer them to keep doing something different.  If there's no difference in what the consoles actually are,

then why do we have more than one?  I want them to continue to evolve gaming as they've done since they entered the video game industry, and that goes beyond just software.

2 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Having exclusive titles and also having all the cross-platform titles with exceptional online multiplayer capability is all I want/need.  I don't need some gimmick controller with a screen or a tablet with detachable controllers on the side that plugs into a docking station.  

There are plenty of people out there, like me, that just want a console and to play their games on.  Who would rather pay a lower price and do without all the extra stuff that we don't want in the first place.  If I get a Switch (and it's entirely possible that I will later on after I confirm it will offer what I want and have success and support), I wouldn't play the games on the tablet, it would stay docked 99% of the time.  

Which is what irritates me the most, they could make it where there was a lower cost version that didn't have the tablet (make that the accessory available in a bundle pack for the $299 they are charging) and charge something like $229 and everyone is satisfied.  I love my XB1, but I refused to buy it when it came out because they shoved the Kinect down everyone's throat and refused to sell the console separately.  I didn't want to pay $499 and waste $100 on something I didn't want and wouldn't use.

Oh I know you were messing around with the Rawr comment, but didn't know if you knew I was a PC gamer as well.  

The handheld is not an accessory.  It is the console. This is not the Kinect where it is a peripheral that communicates with the console.  You are asking them to manufacture a completely separate version of the console to get rid of the screen and battery because it will save a couple dollars.  Oh and also work on a new firmware that takes the new configuration into account.  They'd have to re-design the system for that SKU and dedicate manufacturing to it which takes away from the manufacturing of the real system.  This is not the trivial matter you make it out to be.

Where Microsoft screwed up with the Kinect was not with bundling it with the XBone.  It was the Kinect itself.  Either the Kinect was a good idea, in which case it must be bundled with the system or else it will disappear into obscurity as it will fall into a vicious cycle of nobody developing for it because nobody has it, and nobody buys it because nobody develops for it.  Or the other possibility is the Kinect was a bad idea doomed to fail.  Microsoft believed the Kinect was a good idea, so they did the logical move assuming the Kinect was a good idea: they bundled it.  History tells us, however, that the Kinect was not a good idea and isn't really justified to manufacture.

(no disrespect for the technology there or the Engineers/designers, good/bad idea is strictly referring to consumer reception)

52 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Nintendo also has that fake shortage thing they do with every system where they intentionally try to create more demand. 

That's not how supply and demand works.  And due to their pricing structure, they do not benefit from the inequality between supply and demand.  It comes down to estimating the demand and manufacturing supply based on those estimates.  They were burned on over-estimating the demand with the Wii U and have been more conservative on estimates since.

48 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Also, it's embarrassing that Nintendo decided to handle the party /mic situation on the switch through a cell phone app and not the system itself. Basically they are shooting the multiplayer to hell before it ever even starts. 

Don't knock it until we see how it actually works.  The smartphone app connects to the Switch wirelessly.  The switch has an audio jack that supports headphones and microphones.  There's no reason why that cannot be transmitted wirelessly to/from your phone.  Keep in mind that this is both a home console and a handheld and they're trying to come up with solutions that work for both scenarios.  So having online play go through your phone allows you to go online on-the-go without having to buy a separate data plan for your console.

Really, wait and see what it is and how it actually works and how elegant/inelegant it is before complaining about it.  Nintendo is usually pretty good at seamless integration of their system.

37 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

In regards to Sony and PSN, no it doesn't. Which is why when I changed my Xbox gamertag I left my PSN name alone. On Xbox I can just pay the $10, and if the Gamertag is unused I can change it and keep everything else the same. 

And yeah, how Nintendo is handling it and their voice chat is just....wow. An app? But I'm not surprised, because I recall reading an article that went in depth about how out of touch Nintendo is with what Sony and Microsoft are doing. They don't even play those systems or use those services, so they have even less idea on how it works than the gamers. If I'm adding a service to my platform that my competition does well, I think I would decide to get the basics right and at least check out how it all works. 

Nintendo partnered with DeNA to work on their new online system.  They're not just winging it, nor are they just copying their direct competition; they went out and found someone else in the industry with experience to partner up with.  Again, lets see how it all works before calling it ****.

1 hour ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

There is no reason for them to go back to cartridges either.  There is no reason that they can't allow the hard drive to be upgraded with ease (allow USB supported external drives or easy to upgrade internal drives) like their competitors.  It does look like they might have improved on their online features, considering it will be subscription based starting in the fall.  They can provide something that suits everyone, they just refuse to do it, which is annoying to me.

Again, it's portable.  Disc drives are gigantic.  Seriously, they take up a lot of space.  And they drain power while they're spinning.  Optical media on a system you take on-the-go would be monumentally stupid.  And they're really not cartridges of old, 'card' would probably be more accurate.  Something like what the 3DS uses.

Internal HDDs?  Again, portable.  Can't work.  It does, however, support Micro SD cards.  It can theoretically support cards up to 2TB.

External HDDs?  This again goes back to this being an on-the-go device.  As it is right now, the machine is designed to be able to sit on the dock and play on your TV and then it can be removed while still in-game and transferred to portable mode.  Using external HDDs just cannot work that way as removing it from the dock would remove it from the HDD.  That having been said, that does not mean that the dock necessarily should not support external HDDs, but some thought will have to be put into how to integrate it in with the system.  From what I've seen in interviews, it's still a possibility for external HDD support to be added later; I imagine they've got some designers right now trying to come up with an elegant solution.

Whew, someone hand me a beer.

Breath of the Wild is, five hours in, an enthralling and surprising experience, and the stories being shared among those playing it at GameSpot are all vastly different. Even though we are all playing the same game, we are envious of each other's unique experiences. Breath of the Wild embodies the freedom and danger that made the first Zelda game so enthralling, and captures the feeling of awe that came when Ocarina of Time hit the scene, in this case by layering unspoken variables into seemingly every facet of the game. Based on our early impressions, it's safe to say that Breath of the Wild will forever change what people expect from the series.

I am thoroughly aroused    

Advantages/disadvantages of getting a second PS4 as a primary-use bluray player?

I need a bluray player and was thinking of just getting a second PS4 or Xbox One, instead of just a bluray player... although I've read great things about Oppo.

Anyhow.  I think I'd prefer a second PS4 so that two people could play PS4 against each other.  Would I really be missing out on anything by not getting an XBox?  Never had one of any variety.

Lastly, best source for used?  Looked like used at GameStop is $250.  New bundles at Amazon are $250.

I'd get an Xbox. Just in case I saw a game I liked, it's my dedicated blu-Ray but now here's this game I can get for $60 instead of $360( cost of console too). 

I'm definitely doing Borderlands 2 march 16th. I probably played that game for about 2 years. I still have the game saves on my 360. All six vault hunters at level 72, overpower 8. 

40 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Advantages/disadvantages of getting a second PS4 as a primary-use bluray player?

I need a bluray player and was thinking of just getting a second PS4 or Xbox One, instead of just a bluray player... although I've read great things about Oppo.

Anyhow.  I think I'd prefer a second PS4 so that two people could play PS4 against each other.  Would I really be missing out on anything by not getting an XBox?  Never had one of any variety.

Lastly, best source for used?  Looked like used at GameStop is $250.  New bundles at Amazon are $250.

The XBone S plays 4k bluray, so that would be my choice were I to get a console as my bluray player.

Archived