Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Is Being Critical Of Rgiii So Blasphemous Here?

BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

Be honest GHH, would you be this upset if the Skins drafted Luck and Oliver Luck made the same statement?

I only count two times RGII spoke to the media.

The inference being ..... ?

I'd be pissed with ANY guys family sticking their oar in on their sons career and his ball club's business. Talk about living out a non football career vicariously. ONE time is one time too many. 

Hail. 

The inference being ..... ?

I'd be pissed with ANY guys family sticking their oar in on their sons career and his ball club's business. Talk about living out a non football career vicariously. ONE time is one time too many. 

Hail. 

Unfortunately that comes with the hype and hoopla he brought to the team, especially in the " I just gotta know" society today.

Sad but probably true statement by Boswell tonight in the Post: "Griffin had jets last year. Now, he's another fast guy in a league full of fast guys."

What did people expect? Does Boswell actually believe he should be back to full speed less than a year after tearing his knee up? Not to mention the knee brace takes away from his speed as well. Some people just have unrealistic expectations .

I think it's pretty annoying that everyone just assumes RG3 has to run to be a threat.  He has a damn good arm

That's one of the things that bothers me the most. Dilfer even said on the post game that "it's in his [RG3] DNA to want and need to run the read option". Yeah so what he did it a lot in college, but his mobility is just the icing on the cake, not the whole party surrounding the cake.

Truth is, when the Redskins drafted Griffin, there wasn't even any talk about running any read option, pistol formations, bootlegs, etc. It didn't show up until the regular season. Now all of a sudden he can't be a top QB without one corner of the playbook? Bologna. It's a lazy analysis to say that, but most folks are falling for it. Do I think he needs both legs to be a gun slinging passer? Yes. I don't think he needs to run for 50+ yards a game for the Redskins to win games. Is it exciting and fun to watch? Of course. But it's a luxury feature.

Also it's obvious his mind, body, and soul have been a bit rusty, even if he won't admit it. It doesn't mean he's not ready. Of course it doesn't excuse the boneheaded plays that cost the game, but a lot of things factored into the loss today and the others.

OH IMAGINE if RG III had the performances of Kaepernick the last few weeks. Could you imagine the media outcry? He's hurt! He shouldn't play blah blah!. In my opinion, RG III played very well today but his mistakes cost us. I didn't see any of the rust that I had previously seen the last 2 weeks. He looked good. It was the interception and the fumble that cost us. The Ball to Robinson was a beautifully thrown ball. If I can see this kind of continued progression each week he'll be fine. Our season on the other hand? Well with that defense we got, it's going to be difficult 

I try not to post as I figure most probably know better than I so it's better to just read and shut up but I want to say a few things concerning this. First I want to say I don't want Griff benched and/or traded but he is not playing sound football period. Our defense has been awful this year but today they played a halfway acceptable game and when they did give up major yards held them to field goals. I say this only as a way of saying they kept the game close for most of the day. Now I understand Griff is going to need some time to get back into the game but he himself is averaging 2 turnovers a game and really cost us big today with a foolish int and a fumble. I agree with most our defense hasn't helped him at all in fact they have made it harder but today falls on him. Period. What it comes down to is he needs to make better decisions on the field and stop turning the ball over.

I know that there is a decent chance that Roberts play is being affected by his injury and his surgery. With that being said I hope that excuse will still not being used at the end of the season because that excuses is not really valid after awhile. It is kind of like losing a game that you should have won because your kicker missed the winning FG then blame the kicker for the loss. More things go into a game then 1 event.

Also I love RG3 and want him as my franchise QB but his surgery has nothing to do with throwing bad passes that turn into picks and fumbling the ball after falling down also making some wrong reads. Blame his lack of ability of being able to get around the end on the injury or some of his mechanics on the injury. Do not blame misreads and bad passes on "he had major surgery less then a year ago"

How can you be critical when he is playing through a recovery process that just ended a month ago? Talk to us after the season and I'm sure you'll a more balanced analysis of RG3's play. He looks like hes getting better each week

There are certain things we can accept as part of an injury recovery and his continuing transition to a pro offense, but there is no excuse for the two turnovers today. As far as I know his brain is just fine. 

That's one of the things that bothers me the most. Dilfer even said on the post game that "it's in his [RG3] DNA to want and need to run the read option". Yeah so what he did it a lot in college, but his mobility is just the icing on the cake, not the whole party surrounding the cake.

Truth is, when the Redskins drafted Griffin, there wasn't even any talk about running any read option, pistol formations, bootlegs, etc. It didn't show up until the regular season. Now all of a sudden he can't be a top QB without one corner of the playbook? Bologna. It's a lazy analysis to say that, but most folks are falling for it. Do I think he needs both legs to be a gun slinging passer? Yes. I don't think he needs to run for 50+ yards a game for the Redskins to win games. Is it exciting and fun to watch? Of course. But it's a luxury feature.

Also it's obvious his mind, body, and soul have been a bit rusty, even if he won't admit it. It doesn't mean he's not ready. Of course it doesn't excuse the boneheaded plays that cost the game, but a lot of things factored into the loss today and the others.

You're right, but he's got work to do to complete the transition and that's just how it is. I said before it would have been nice for him to have his full running ability to make the transition a more gradual one, but we don't have that luxury anymore so here we are.

Wow, the stupid in this thread is amazing. As long as he stays healthy RGIII will be a superstar QB in this league. He's still very young and learning the ropes in the NFL. All young QB's go through it(hell, look at Kaepernick right now). RGIII is the least of our worries on this football team.

Because a lot of people aren't being critical and are just ****ing and moaning. Few are, but there are also some calling for him to be benched in favor of Cousins which is just ridiculous. Also there are people saying his ego OFF the field hurt the team when the players themselves laughed that off. Talking about the play of Griffin on the field the last 3 weeks while keeping in mind he is coming off a major injury is one thing.... just hating, being short sighted and being ridiculous is another. Our insider comes on earlier in the week and says Griffin graded out well for the Green Bay game and people who aren't qualified or coaches wanted to argue with him.

Actually, I was under the impression one of the people who disagreed with him IS a coach. Not everyone simply believes because someone is an "insider" that their words and opinion are facts and gospel truth.

This is criticism:

Robert Griffin should have slid feet first. It was a bad mental lapse that he didn't and I seriously hope that he fixes this deficiency in his game quickly, because he needs to get used to sliding, and he can't continue to hurt the team with turnovers.

This is what we're essentially getting:

OMG What the **** is wrong with RG3? Jesus he'll never be the same again. He's lost whatever he had that made him great. He's just another in a long line of "could have beens" in Washington D.C! WOE IS OUR FANBASE FOR WE ARE CURSED BY THE FOOTBALL GODS! Also, hey guys did you see when Kirk Cousins completed those passes in pre-game? He looked totally as good or way way better than RG3. I think we need to seriously consider pulling RG3 from games and playing Kirk Cousins instead since he's clearly the better pocket quarterback! Basically we need to trade RG3 before he loses what little value he has left, the pathetic son of a ****!

Then generally when people respond, voicing their displeasure we get a thread where people question why they're being publicly chastised on the internet for voicing their modest, humble, and well thought out criticisms.

It's fine to criticize him, it's fine to defend against the criticism.  It's all good.

In RG3's case, he's a very unique player.  He's misunderstood.  There's a lot of people out there that think he's just a runner and can't pass, think all the Redskins do is read option, etc etc.  That stuff, I'll defend.

The diva thing. just a stupid argument.  That's open to interpretation.  His play?  Fair game, it's on tape.  There's no two ways about it.

But don't be so sensitive about people being sensitive ;)  It's RG3 after all.  I know, you're saying like, "just cuz it's RG3", but that's pertinent.  It's RG3. 

Lets look at it this way.

RGIII is getting better every week.

The Defense is not.

How does this help the team win close games?

People are putting the pressure on RGIII to get back to superstar status because of how awful the team is on the other side of the football.

Both those turnovers sucked, but the defense is a hell of a lot worse and makes way more errors per game then RGIII.

As far as RGIII's speed.  Even being slower then last year, when he gets in a foot race and takes off he still is faster then 90% of the players in the league.  Look at Vick, he is 33, been through a ton of injuries and beatings, but he is proof that natural athletes usually will endure and come back. Vick is not the lightning quick player he once was, and he might get caught from behind by some players, but overall if he gets into open field he is running a long way first.

RGIII shouldn't be as fast as last year by September of the following year. 

Edit:  Also, I think it's time to drop the "rusty" cliche.  He's had 12 quarters of action and 3 full weeks of practice as the starter.  That's considerably more action than any starting QB gets in preseason.

Most QBs take YEARS to develop into franchise QBs.

Aaron Rodgers didn't play a full year until his 4th season.  Eli Manning, prior to 2008, had never cracked 60% completion, or had a 2 to 1 or better TD/INT ratio.  Drew Brees didn't look like a franchise guy until 2004, despite being drafted in 2001.  Matt Stafford looked poor his rookie year, and was injured most of his second year.

We were all spoiled last year, when RGIII came in and looked really really good.  We threw our tempered expectations out the window and expected the stars.

What we need to remember is that he's a young QB, in his 2nd year, coming off a major injury that cost him a lot of practice time, and took his mental focus away from the game for 8 months while he healed.  Instead of getting an offseason to develop further as a pocket passer, he spent a bunch of time figuring out if he could jog.  Three games to shake the rust off is not a lot of time for a young still developing QB.

Patience is a virtue.  If it takes him all season to get back to his old self, fine.  We, as fans, are in this for the long hall, and if we have a subpar year this year, that's fine, so long as we stick with him and keep developing him.  We really do not want to end up like San Diego, having tossed a star like Brees to the wayside.

The mistakes, indeed, are on Griffin, but they are fixable.  We knew he needed to work on protecting himself and sliding, and ball security is a part of that.  We knew he needed to work on throwing the ball away more, instead of trying to always make the play.  These are things he needed to, and is, working on.  Again, they will come with time and reps.

Lets look at it this way.

RGIII is getting better every week.

The Defense is not.

How does this help the team win close games?

People are putting the pressure on RGIII to get back to superstar status because of how awful the team is on the other side of the football.

Both those turnovers sucked, but the defense is a hell of a lot worse and makes way more errors per game then RGIII.

As far as RGIII's speed. Even being slower then last year, when he gets in a foot race and takes off he still is faster then 90% of the players in the league. Look at Vick, he is 33, been through a ton of injuries and beatings, but he is proof that natural athletes usually will endure and come back. Vick is not the lightning quick player he once was, and he might get caught from behind by some players, but overall if he gets into open field he is running a long way first.

RGIII shouldn't be as fast as last year by September of the following year.

I agree our defense leaves a lot to be desired but they looked like they improved a little in today's game. I'm not saying the defense was great but take away the 7 points they gave us and the game is not even close. It's not 100% fair to keep putting all the blame on the defense and yes I agree they have been beyond horrible but today was not on them. You can't just turn a blind eye to their improvements and only point out Griff's.

Stafford threw for 250 yards in the first half.  The tackling was about as awful as ever.

Dhall had a nice INT and made a good move to get it into the endzone and they got a couple stops in the 2nd half.

Overall however the defense is a lot worse right now and is doing a lot less to help this team win.

I agree our defense leaves a lot to be desired but they looked like they improved a little in today's game. I'm not saying the defense was great but take away the 7 points they gave us and the game is not even close. It's not 100% fair to keep putting all the blame on the defense and yes I agree they have been beyond horrible but today was not on them. You can't just turn a blind eye to their improvements and only point out Griff's.

I'm sorry, I don't see these improvements.  I don't think the defense improved a little today at all.

By 'defense', we mean the secondary, and some linebackers in passing situations.  It's gotten to the point that it seems our team simply does not know how to defend against a lot of packages/routes, whatever.  I really think Haslett cannot wrap his head around it.

I'm sorry, I don't see these improvements. I don't think the defense improved a little today at all.

By 'defense', we mean the secondary, and some linebackers in passing situations. It's gotten to the point that it seems our team simply does not know how to defend against a lot of packages/routes, whatever. I really think Haslett cannot wrap his head around it.

Look it's real simple for me at halftime the game was close today the other 2 games we were getting destroyed by halftime. That's an improvement no matter what you say or want to believe. I am not saying our defense played good or made an amazing leap forward but they were better. Now all I'm saying is Griff is averaging 2 turnovers a game and yet we still point out the positives, and hey I'm fine with that I want him to do great myself, but if we are going to see the positives he does it needs to go both ways. I think Griff is amazing but at this time he is making bad decisions and it's not just the defense that is loosing these games.

Well, that's because the questions about the defense have been a trend, and we've been talking about it for a long time.

RG3, for the FIRST TIME, is making mistakes.  And really, he made some last year as well.  But otherwise he's been amazing, and it's very fair to assume some, if not most of it, is knee surgery.  We point out those positives because it's signs of improvement, recovering from a serious injury.

Deangelo Hall making a great series of plays, or even the defense as a whole last year looking better towards the end, does not fix the problem.  We GIVE teams first downs on obvious passing downs.  More than anyone in the league.  Historically.  We were doing it last year, we were doing it the year before.  It's gotten that bad, there are no more excuses.

In other words, we're not worried about RG3.  At least not nearly as worried about him as we our the defense.

Even as he is shaking the rust off RGIII is the best player on the field for the 'skins and it's not even close.

That being said? I've learned over the years here to just say what the hell I want to say. What are the repercussions if someone doesn't approve? They don't like me? Umm yeah, I really don't put any stock on whether or not an anonymous guy/gal approves of me based on what I post on some random interwebz forum.

If you do? I feel for you because you live a small life.

Sad but probably true statement by Boswell tonight in the Post: "Griffin had jets last year. Now, he's another fast guy in a league full of fast guys."

Thats true - but there is more to come. You could see more burst yesterday than in the first two weeks - it might be next year though before he is back to the world class speed and burst he had. 

The good news is he is playing QB not WR or CB and as a QB right now he is more than fast enough. He is also good enough as a passer that he does not need to be running it as much as he did last year. Still a bit of rust but if you watch yesterdays game and the first game against the Eagles the improvement in RGIII is dramatic. Still more to come though in terms of timing and just field vision.

Sorry, but if this fan base hasn't got patience for a 2nd year Qb to work through some bugaboos while coming off major knee surgery, NOTHING will make you happy.

EVER.

Frankly, if you can't see the the problems on defense and you're focusing on RG3 thinking a change at QB is going to make that much difference, you truly need to brush up on your football.

~Bang

I'm losing patience with the team as a whole. I see no improvement in four years.

Archived