Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Griffin A Good Enough Pocket Passer?

The Trashman

Exactly, it was a route.  The 49ers were done, but Gamebreaker, who had the nerve to call me a troll and then of course comments and runs away, think the read option is the only reason they made a game of it.

I'll give it credit, it is an effective formation, but for our Redskins, it is slowing Robert's development as a QB.

Lets be honest about that Superbowl. If the lights don't cause an hour delay, the 49ers are getting blown out from beginning to end.  The power outage not only forced a red hot Raven's offense to stop and get cold, but it also gave time a tired and bewildered 49ers defense to re-group.

I'm not saying the 49ers would have continued to play THAT bad the entire way, but I think the Ravens win comfortably if not for the outage.

You're probably right, but the fact remains that a RO team losing in the SB doesn't prove that a RO team will never win a SB. I understand that you weren't the one making that argument though.

Depends on what you mean by "good enough".

The line has never been good enough to give Robert the time to throw from a clean pocket.  He has trouble completing passes in a "muddy" pocket as Cosell describes.  He is very good on the move.  The Shanahan's, assumably, have gotten away from the play calling that made them so successful last year to protect Griffin.  However, we saw the same thing last year when they attempted to run a more traditional passing attack.

The offensive line is horrible as a standard blocking unit.

RG3 had ZERO offseason to practice.  He didn't fly guys to Texas like last year.  He didn't have minicamps, OTA's, or much of a training camp.  He had zero preseason.  He still doesn't look comfortable.  He is staring down too many receivers.

The Redskins need to go back to the offense that made them so successful last year (ie. pistol, zone read, rollouts, actually running the ball).  Let Robert do whats comfortable.  If he is not comfortable running the ball, then he should not be playing, but I don't think that is an issue.

1. He hasn't played football since the Seahawk game last January. No OTA's, minicamps, 7 on 7s, scrimmages, preseason, practice, etc...

2. He ran the stupid pistol offense all last year, which stunted his growth as an NFL quarterback, and hid his deficiencies as a pocket passer.

1- He was practicing prior to the start of the season during the preseason. He progressed from 7 on 7 to full practices. He was even talking to the media about how much he didn't like being held back. Did he get all of the work in? No. But you statement isn't accurate and when you take on an arrogant tone you should have your facts straight.

2- The pistol is a formation. Do you mean the read option?

That was the entire subtext of the RGIII/Luck debate.

>but muh postracial society

Puhleazze.

NOt quite willing to go there dewd. I think some people have always been waiting for an opportunity to jump on robert and see this as their in. I said before the season started that if he struggles the fans would turn on him quickly. At the end of the day if he is getting better week by week I am with him but if he is like this for more than 1/3 to 1/2 of the season, it is time to look at other options. If our O-line is truly a disaster then what good would Cousins do in there? Might have to bring back pat white to run the RO...

All we need is to hit the bye at 2-2 and things will be fine. I was really impressed with the way he played once things started clicking a in the 2nd half, he just needs to stick to good mechanics and go for it.

You do realize he started playing better in garbage time. In other words the game was over and there defense took a nap. That's the only reason he looked good in the second half.

I don't know guys. Until he starts shifting his weight through his throws he will remain inconsistent from passing perspective. Until he can be a dual threat, teams will play man, stack box and blitz the **** out of us. I thought I saw a brief opening on 2 pt conversion for Robert to pull it down and run in(would have last year). I haven't seen sudden quick burst of acceleration yet, he needs reps so I am not suggesting any change. He needs to play through it, he's not costing us the games, too many drops, penalties and D getting **** on for that to be on anyone's mind..

The "garbage time" argument only holds weight if the opposing D starts playing soft zone. In both games our opponents continued blitzing.

If you want to be delusional that's fine, but RG3 isn't the same QB when he's in the pocket. I hope that changes, but right now. He pretty much sucks until the games already over.

I don't know a QB in the league who's weakness isn't pressure up the middle.

Exactly. The problem with the Skins today is Kyle Shanahan didn't adjust to RGIII dropping back in the pocket. He essentially dropped back and sat there and only ran when he was pressured up the middle. What Kyle should have had Robert do was simple roll outs from the pocket. It's easy to do, wouldn't compromise his condition and should freeze the D temporarily.

It's like Kyle is learning how to use RGIII all over again instead of proper game planning.

If you want to be delusional that's fine, but RG3 isn't the same QB when he's in the pocket. I hope that changes, but right now. He pretty much sucks until the games already over.

First of all you didnt address the comment. A counter point was made about defenses dialing up blitzes deep in the second half and you ignored that and repeated your original position. If arod is in there with 7 minutes to play and green bay is still blitzing deep in the fourth, then it isn't garbage time. Robert isn't confident in his knee but I saw things i liked this week. He never threw it up for grabs and his throws were more on target with a tighter spiral than last week. He will not get better warming the bench; just needs more live reps.

First of all you didnt address the comment. A counter point was made about defenses dialing up blitzes deep in the second half and you ignored that and repeated your original position. If arod is in there with 7 minutes to play and green bay is still blitzing deep in the fourth, then it isn't garbage time. Robert isn't confident in his knee but I saw things i liked this week. He never threw it up for grabs and his throws were more on target with a tighter spiral than last week. He will not get better warming the bench; just needs more live reps.

Just because the defensive coordinator throws in a blitz or 2 doesn't mean the defense Inst playing soft. In other words they knew the game was over. So they got lazy and didn't care. That's why Griffin had good numbers at the end of the game. Anyone that thinks other wise has the Burgundy glasses on. RG3 is doing good for fantasy owners right now, but he's not doing what needs to be done to win in the NFL.

Are all of you watching the 49ers/Seahawks right now? Do you see how ordinary Kap & Wilson look when they don't have time to throw the ball?  Imagine if their O-line was that bad EVERY WEEK, now you know what RGIII deals with.

If you compare how these two are playing tonight to how RGIII has played under pressure (when healthy) it's not even close.

I'm convinced its time to change the offense a bit. Kyle needs to implement some spread formations/looks to add some variation to the offense. Watching Rogers today in their derivative of a spread offense indicates to me its time to change. Our offense looks archaic and outdated. I realize some it could be attributed to rust from RG3 and penalties, miscues, dropped passes etc.. but the last two games have been over by halftime. Halftime. I don't recall ever witnessing that, even during the Zorn years. 

I see what you did there lol

Lol :)

Now, back on subject. Some of you saying it was garbage time makes me lol. When the jags get blown out in the first 3 quarters does grabbers get better? No. When we got blown out by the giants on Mnf did Campbell get better? No. Griffin IS fine, he will BE ok. You all have to just chill and let a few more weeks play out before you can do this.

Russel Wilson's stat line right now is 2/10 48 yds and an interception, think Seattle fans are freaking out????.?

I rewatched the game. Two observations regarding the offense. 1) Griffin was not as bad as you might think. He was actually much sharper than last week(even in the first half) A lot of little things(drops, batted balls, penalties) were stalling drives. Griffin only had a few very inaccurate throws. 2) The pass protection was not nearly as bad as most people on here are making it out to be. If you have the ability to rewatch the game, take a look. The offense was a lot closer to "clicking" than you might think. Defense was a different story. Once GB got on a roll we couldn't stop them.

The reason Shannahan is not calling roll-out plays for RGIII is because he's not 100%.

They are afraid he'll injure himself during the roll out. He would naturally roll out to his right, putting great pressure on the reconstructed knee. And God forbid a safety or linebacker blitzes on that side...  all the weight would be on the suspect knee.

So we have a QB who can't/won't run on the RO and he can't/won't run on a roll-out.  Not much left to do other than having sit in the pocket and unload the ball.

It's the worst case scenario. I just wonder how long are the Shanahans gonna go with those handicaps.

Archived