Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Griffin A Good Enough Pocket Passer?

The Trashman

Oh, you're under the impression that RGIII's stats were meaningful today? 

Yeah, then I can't argue with you. Agree to disagree. 

Neither have been good today but Wilson is playing against the best defense in the league. 

When both are healthy, I'm taking RGIII but right now, Wilson is better. I know it's blasphemous to say on here

Total Nonsense. Wilson has made 4 good throws tonight and his D has 3 takaways from  Kaep. RWs team has carried him and yet you are going in on Robert when he has carried the team through most of last season.

How do you define garbage time? Arod throwing for a hundred yards on us in the third Q is NOT garbage time. Defenses sending rushiers up the 1 and 2 gap deep in the fourth is NOT garbage time.

I think he'll get it together eventually but deep down, a small thought of him not regaining that form does lurk. But I'm a battered 'Skins fan, that's how I roll.

I don't think that is unrealistic a thought. No one wants to acknowledge that he could be ****ed up for good lol (Not funny obviously just my way of shaking off quite an unnerving thought). It is unlikely though but definitely possible. Everybody recovers differently. I hope for his sake and ours that things change quickly. Drama is definitely ahead if it doesn't. I think he can become a good pocket passer but flat out we aren't prepared to be one. It is what it is. Without the read option the offense is pedestrian. Who to blame for that? Take your pick. 

I do not think that looking at his stats from the pocket is a fair measuring stick when the other team has such a lopsided lead and the defense is clearly playing a prevent scheme.

IMO I believe you have to take his performance in the first half as a measure of his current ability as a pocket passer and take his performance in the second half as his will to win and his drive to not quite.

I don't consider RG3 healthy. Folks keep comparing RG3's recovery to AP's. I'm not sure I will ever see anyone every come back and heal like AP did. Looking a pictures of AP his first game back there was no knee brace. He was cutting and running as he trusted his leg.

Watching RG3 these first 2 games it seems that his mind or body does not trust his knee. He is not planting his foot to drive his throws. When he runs he does not have that speed burst. I have not seen his escape pressure and confuse the defense.

What I would like to know is what happens if this issue is still going on by game 6, 7, or 8? Does the plug get pulled in favor of Kirk?

Except Peterson didn't trust his leg and he even admitted it. It wasn't until a out week 6 or so that he fully trusted it and felt good. He just didn't wear a knee brace. He certainly didn't look like a world better his first 5-6 games back either.

If the offense is still struggling after week 8 the season is most likely lost and the you keep these guys in there to build for next year. It makes no sense to bring in Cousins.

I don't think some of you realize what it means to have a franchise QB. You don't bring in the backup if he isn't playing well or has a bad spell. Ow does anybody get better that way?

Total Nonsense. Wilson has made 4 good throws tonight and his D has 3 takaways from  Kaep. RWs team has carried him and yet you are going in on Robert when he has carried the team through most of last season.

How do you define garbage time? Arod throwing for a hundred yards on us in the third Q is NOT garbage time. Defenses sending rushiers up the 1 and 2 gap deep in the fourth is NOT garbage time.

1) I'm not going in on RGIII. You bought up Wilson's perceived struggles as a means for us to feel better about RGIII. I told you why that was inaccurate. 

2) No one forgot last year. We're talking about this year's RGIII and yes, IT'S OKAY to be critical of his play. 

3) All of these TDs and most of the passing yards came after they were down 31-0 in the 3rd. If that isn't garbage time, then what is? If the Packers (and Iggles) weren't playing soft late, then why do our receivers miraculously only get open once we are down 3-4 scores? Why couldn't they do that in the first quarter when the game is competitive?

1) I'm not going in on RGIII. You bought up Wilson's perceived struggles as a means for us to feel better about RGIII. I told you why that was inaccurate. 

2) No one forgot last year. We're talking about this year's RGIII and yes, IT'S OKAY to be critical of his play. 

3) All of these TDs and most of the passing yards came after they were down 31-0 in the 3rd. If that isn't garbage time, then what is?

Percieved struggles my foot. Are you joking? In what world is he having a good game? Tarrell Pryor had a better game today.

Garbage time is when they pull Aron Rodgers for the backup, stop blitzing every down, play a soft zone and bring in the bench. That never happened. Robert was generally on target and completed 65 percent of 40 passes with at least 4 drops, some for chunk yardage. we also had 7 penalties for 75 or 80 yards which is ridiculous. 2nd and 22 with that O-line = 3 and out. 

This thread is a nice collection of people who watch a football game and have no clue what's going on... But pretend to anyway. "Pistol offense?" C'mon man.

Griffin is a good pocket passer. He looked pretty good today. Play calling is stunting the offense right now, and it's incredibly frustrating to watch.

Welcome to ES.

The only fan base that calls for the benching of a quarterback that we traded away 3 draft picks for after he has back-to-back 300 plus yard games with 2 and 3 touchdown passes after that quarterback had major knee reconstructive surgery just 8 months prior, had no live-action football play in all that time, and is getting no support from his defense, special teams, O-line, run game or receivers.

The future of the success of this franchise relies heavily on Griffin being healthy AND developing into a traditional quarterback. He just may have to learn it a bit more quickly than initially expected. I'd like to keep RG3 around for about 10-15 years and that simply will not happen if he runs the read option. We have to move away from it eventually, why not now?

Saying we should put Kirk Cousins in at this point is one of the most ignorant and asinine statements I've ever read on this board...and that's saying something.

Griffin is a good pocket passer. He looked pretty good today.

Well, Bryan Mitchell, Tony Dungy, Marvin Harrison, etc, do not agree with you. He played terribly, was inaccurate, tentative, stared receivers down and did not go through his progressions to find the open receiver.

They all think RGIII is not ready to play and according to Harrison, he's playing scared for his knee. They all agree that Cousins should play if RGIII can't get it together next week.

Well, Bryan Mitchell, Tony Dungy, Marvin Harrison, etc, do not agree with you. He played terribly, was inaccurate, tentative, stared receivers down and did not go through his progressions to find the open receiver.

They all think RGIII is not ready to play and according to Harrison, he's playing scared for his knee. They all agree that Cousins should play if RGIII can't get it together next week.

As much as I might agree with Brian Mitchell, you cannot pull RG3 now.  Once they started him in Week 1, the decision was made. He's been put out there as the franchise, and either you're all in or all out. 

Colin Sanchez, I mean Kaepernick really put on a show tonight. I wish RGIII played this well.

Does his third interception not count because it came against a prevent defense?

He completed 65% of his passes and had quite a few drops, he wasnt inaccurate. Care to explain how he stared down receivers when 10 different guys had catches today and 7 of them had multiple catches?

Colin Sanchez, I mean Kaepernick really put on a show tonight. I wish RGIII played this well.

Does his third interception not count because it came against a prevent defense?

He completed 65% of his passes and had quite a few drops, he wasnt inaccurate. Care to explain how he stared down receivers when 10 different guys had catches today and 7 of them had multiple catches?

I know right. Some people are delusional with their expectations. There is no game genie in real life. Not every QB is going to tear it up start to finish. The brothers manning were doing nothing early in their game. Peyton had a superior second half.

Anyone who brings up RG3's stats needs to get a reality check. They were garbage time #s when the game was already well in hand.

I like you warhead but I've learned from the Nats thread you're bipolar lol. One minute you love em', the next you want to run them over with your car.

You guys are really really reaching tonight. 

This thread is about RGIII yet it has quickly become about slandering Wilson and Kaep to make ourselves feel better about our situation. That's sad

Oh but its okay to use Wilson and Kaeps success when bad mouthing RGIII? Classic

You guys are really really reaching tonight. 

This thread is about RGIII yet it has quickly become about slandering Wilson and Kaep to make ourselves feel better about our situation. That's sad

Garbage time stats? Funny How Kaep couldnt compile  "garbage time" stats tonight, well, I suppose turnovers are a stat. No slight on him. Must be tough to play well in the NFL at any time...

I like you warhead but I've learned from the Nats thread you're bipolar lol. One minute you love em', the next you want to run them over with your car.

Oh but its okay to use Wilson and Kaeps success when bad mouthing RGIII? Classic

SO......Gambler posts Wilsons' stats out of the random and I comment on why that is irrelevant to RGIII's struggles through two weeks so that means I'm badmouthing him??

K.   :)

Major hypocrisy going on with some of these fine posters here tonight. They want to have it both ways. Was the fourth quarter in the Sunday night game Garbage time or not. With all the penalties and missed open recievers all game long it seemed like 5 hours of garbage time to me. Why couldn't the QBs hit the broad side of a bus tonight? Maybe it has something to do with football being a TEAM game. When one part is weak, the others sometimes need to carry them. Robert carried this team though all kinds of injuries for large parts of last year and the team and fans need to carry him now during this transitional period. The outcry for benching him and the nailbiting serves no one. Kaep and Wilson are really good and one or two bad games should freak out NO ONE. 

Garbage time stats? Funny How Kaep couldnt compile  "garbage time" stats tonight, well, I suppose turnovers are a stat. No slight on him. Must be tough to play well in the NFL at any time...

What is the relevance of this to ROBERT GRIFFIN III??? Nothing. 

Why did you guys bring up Wilson and Kaep in the first place? I don't get that

it is the consensus amongst the non-Skins homer portion of the world that he has struggled as well as mine. Does that mean I'm turning on him??

What does jumping on other QBs for having bad games (even though they both balled out and won games for their teams themselves the week before) do for you guys?

What is the relevance of this to ROBERT GRIFFIN III??? Nothing. 

Why did you guys bring up Wilson and Kaep in the first place? I don't get that

Because there is a double standard around these parts and it seems people expect griff to walk on water. The guy is mentally recoving from a second ACL injury. Another one means career=over. He may nit be right for a little while but the only way for him to get right is support and playing time.These two young guns Kaep and RW are really good and they struggled to execute basic passes tonight. No three alarm fires in SF or Seattle though. There shouldn't be any here either. Simple. 

Archived