Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Griffin A Good Enough Pocket Passer?

The Trashman

It's funny how the blame gets shifted to the OL. I'm not saying they've been great by any means but QBs beat blitzes, not OLs. Last year RG3 was dynamite against the blitz, like a QB rating of 120+. This year he looks slow and indecisive. That in turn means Ds can blitz even more, which creates even more pressure, and it's basically a domino affect.

RG3 is the primary root of our offensive struggles, just like he was the primary root of our successes last year. It all starts and ends with the QB. If he's good, everything else suddenly looks better. If not, well you're seeing what that looks like...

It's funny how the blame gets shifted to the OL. I'm not saying they've been great by any means but QBs beat blitzes, not OLs. Last year RG3 was dynamite against the blitz, like a QB rating of 120+. This year he looks slow and indecisive. That in turn means Ds can blitz even more, which creates even more pressure, and it's basically a domino affect.

RG3 is the primary root of our offensive struggles, just like he was the primary root of our successes last year. It all starts and ends with the QB. If he's good, everything else suddenly looks better. If not, well you're seeing what that looks like...

Totally overstating the importance of the QB. Our defense is allowing a prolific number of points and we are not scheming our recievers open. not enough time for Robert to make his reads and throw guys open and he isn't completely confident in his knee though it is structurally sound else he would not be playing. We are missing Kai badly and our Special teams are not giving us the best feild position. There are systemic and personnel issue with this team. We just arent that good and won;t be that good this season. That is ok though becaise griff will be stronger if he survives this trial by fire and with more picks and more cap space we will be able to forge a stronger O-line and a few defensive pieces in the coming few seasons. This team will become the beast of th East over the next decade with Robert at the helm.

I'm with others who have been saying it's mental.  The talent is natural and what has to come back is the adjusting to the speed of the game.  We saw it last pre-season where it took him a couple games to really get a feel for the speed of the game, and having not played in 8 months that should be expected.  Soon enough he'll start diagnosing everything a lot quicker and getting through his reads quicker as everything around him starts to feel natural again.  His physical talent is no different than before the injury, he's just got to readjust himself to game situations.  The next two weeks against some pretty bad defenses will be huge for him IMO.

The 49ers were 4 points away from doing that with Kaepernick last season. I don't think it's too much of a stretch.

Agree. Not sure why he can't run the RO, run out of the pistol AND be a classic pocket passer. Having all three makes him even more dangerous. Why does everyone want to scrap the RO all of the sudden?

Some of what I'm reading is embarrassing.  Some of you should really try to learn aa little about football instead of just opening your mouths. 

Robert looks like he does for two reasons.

1. He hasn't played football  since the Seahawk game last January.  No OTA's, minicamps, 7 on 7s, scrimmages, preseason, practice, etc...

2. He ran the stupid pistol offense all last year, which stunted his growth as an NFL quarterback, and hid his deficiencies as a pocket passer.

What's even dumber is people are actually mad because our FRANCHISE QB is now taking the "lumps" he should have taken last year, in order to actually develop into a pocket passer or whatever hybrid type qb he needs to be to win. 

Fact is, the Redskins are not winning a Superbowl with Robert running the read option, and he's not going to improve on 3rd down as a passer until he develops the ability to read defenses. 

I am happy he and the staff have decided what's best for him and the team by letting him develop correctly despite the idiocy of some of our fan base who seem to know little about  NFL football.

I love how you call people out for lack of football knowledge, yet, you call it the "Pistol Offense," when it is a formation and not an actual offense. BTW, you can debate about football in here without insulting people's intelligence.  It's called being nice and presenting your point without being a jerk.

I love how you call people out for lack of football knowledge, yet, you call it the "Pistol Offense," when it is a formation and not an actual offense. BTW, you can debate about football in here without insulting people's intelligence.  It's called being nice and presenting your point without being a jerk.

It's taken from Chris Ault's offense in Nevada which is actually called the pistol offense.

We use a Pistol formation.  Even Shanahan says they run the standard Shanahan offense out of the Pistol Formation.  Pistol is a hortened shotgun formation.

I've heard of Nevada's pistol offense, but I always was led to believe we are running a Shanny offense, mixed in with elements from Baylor's offense (the Read option portion) out of the pistol formation.

I don't think some of you fully comprehend what is being played out by the Skins organization. Irrespective of how RGIII played in those two games and plays in upcoming games, they are COMMITTED to stick with him. It doesn't matter if they are outscored by 100 points in the 1st half or the offense sputters along the way, as long as Robert does not get hurt along the way, he stays in the game.

The goal appears to have him get as many reps as possible, again, at the sacrifice of winning games, as needed. As hard as it may be for some of you, these games are being used to get his muscles, and more importantly, confidence, up to speed.

Structurally and physically, I do believe his knee is 100%. But as noted earlier, his muscle memory is off and will only get better with reps and more reps. There is no timetable for that.

Forget about benching him for Cousins. Cousins will only get in if Robert gets hurt. Period.

So, worst case scenario: Skins continue to lose games BUT Griffin gets back in synch 100% as the season progresses. I think the organization is prepared to forfeit playoffs this year, if need be, but back the long-term rehab program for RGIII, irrespective of time needed.

There is too much riding on his long term health and stability to just think short term gratification.

Archived