Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Griffin A Good Enough Pocket Passer?

The Trashman

Oh I agree with you 100%.... I just think its funny that everyone is blaming Kyle.. yes he deserves some of it but If the QB doesn't want to run the RO.. what do you do??? ... RG3's game is dual threat... hell right now hes just sitting there in the pocket.. taking brutal hits.. needs to just say F$#@ it and run one off for 35 yards and start scaring D-coordinators.. Maybe this week he will realize this single threat isnt working and start showing flashes of his old self. 

True. 

Kyle isn't asking him to run it 30 times a game.  All it would take would be one big run and defenses would be on their heels.  It's the threatof him running it that made Kyle want to have it in his playbook, not the actual play.  Kyle is trying to protect Robert with his legs, not use them like he's Mike Vick. 

Oh I agree with you 100%.... I just think its funny that everyone is blaming Kyle.. yes he deserves some of it but If the QB doesn't want to run the RO.. what do you do??? ... RG3's game is dual threat... hell right now hes just sitting there in the pocket.. taking brutal hits.. needs to just say F$#@ it and run one off for 35 yards and start scaring D-coordinators.. Maybe this week he will realize this single threat isnt working and start showing flashes of his old self. 

I think that if he ran the RO, as you stated, it'd cool the defenders down a bit.  But to really grow/mature, he's gonna have to learn how to operate within the pocket.  He can make every throw from it, his touch is impeccable.  But he has little feel and little ability to create time within the confines of a pocket.

I actually sympathize with not wanting to run the RO. Kaepernick was getting blasted on keepers and hand-offs running it last night. i think NFL defenses new strategy is abuse the QB whether he keeps it or not and hit him out of bounds as hard as possible. Robert HAS to think about the long term of hs career. Even if the skins end up having to part ways he will get on somewhere else. He has to protect himself and develop as a pocket passer.

More drivel from people who don't watch tape. Neither the Eagles or Packers stopped blitzing. The Eagles DC even specifically said that he continued being aggressive with a lead.

In the minds of overdramatic Skins fans, every opposing DC is Greg Blache.

They don't have to change the play calling or scheme to let up. Intensity drops off when its a blow out. Why risk a hammy or make that hard hit and maybe injure myself in a game that is over? They let up. Its easy to see watching the game. Its normal. There may even be a hint of sportsmanship in it. I know I let up when I'm up 30 points in a basketball game. Those guys wives are sitting over there and they can't play with us. You let up.  It clearly happened in both games.

What coach is going to say, "yeah, we let up a bit, we were killing them in their own place, it was ugly"?

How many drops today? How many penalties? How much time did he get before the pocket collapsed. What was morris doing in the 1h? Why did the defense allow Arod to have a d**n near career performance? Rg3 has nothing to do with our D allowing a 14 play 8 minute scoring drive on the first posession of the game. Get a grip.

The first half of both games, our offense was putrid. Griffin is playing scared and not playing his style of football, which is scramble, roll out, and throw from the pocket when he makes the defenses respect his mobility.  Yes, the defense is bad, it was horrible most of last year too, but the offense wasn't, it kept us in ball games and one thing our defense did do last year, come up with turn overs/big plays when we needed them to.  

RGIII's play style allows the entire offense to shine, they get to feast on the defenses because they have to respect RG3 and what will happen if they don't have a dedicated defender on him, that frees up another player to make plays.  It opens up the running game, which in turn opens up the play action, roll-outs and passing from the pocket.

I love RG3, but his game is horrible right now and unacceptable.  Extremely inconsistent.  He simply is not playing the way he did last year, but we keep hearing he's 100%, he's fine, etc.  So its either a] thats all BS/false and he is still playing semi-hurt and isn't 100% or b] He is 100% and scared to play with the reckless abandon that he did last year, through an entire game.  

I want to eat crow, I don't want him injured again.  But he hasn't done anything in the first two games until it's almost too late.  GB's defense allowed Kap to have a field day in the air, but we can't do that with all the "weapons" we have?  And if you're going to blame the OL (for the pocket collapsing, him taking sacks, etc.) then you have to go back to RG3 for not helping them out by playing his style of football.  Its never been hidden that our o-line is not built for non-mobile QBs to sit in the pocket all day, this is not Denver or New England with Brady and Manning behind center.

And if you do want to blame the OL, then I can point back to the draft and the fact we addressed the TE position instead of OL depth when we already had Fred Davis looking great and coming back.  And don't give me the "we didnt know if Fred would be the same" again crap.  Even if he wasn't, we did fine without him last year anyhow.  

I think that if he ran the RO, as you stated, it'd cool the defenders down a bit.  But to really grow/mature, he's gonna have to learn how to operate within the pocket.  He can make every throw from it, his touch is impeccable.  But he has little feel and little ability to create time within the confines of a pocket.

What pocket? You want to see a pocket? Did you see manning bowl? What Peyton has is a CLEAN pocket. It is poetry in motion. Robert is throwing in a new york city back alley at 2 am with 3 gangbangers mugging him.

Robert doesn't want to run the RO, I understand that.  But Robert must also realize that the RO masks the deficiencies in his game and without it, he's being exposed.

How do you know Robert does'nt want to run the read option? Did he say that in the presser? Do you have a link?

The other thing is RG3 has been very supportive about the coaching staff.. We obviously know that he has no problem alluding to or talking about the coaching staff... So what I FEEL  that implies (ONLY MY OPINION DON'T ROAST ME GUYS)  is that there is not so much a problem with play calling but this team comes out flat every week and there is something wrong with how they motivate each other or lack of interest some how.. Its funny that after the game RG3 said that teammates told him to be more vocal on the sideline to the other players... I feel that implies there's no spark and the team carries of his body language which has not been the same.. At no point this year on even one play has the offense shown any swagger or excitement or general life... I'm waiting for Santana to blow up on these guys in the locker room ... Something needs to rile these guys up .. because getting blown out and humiliated in the first half of 2 games does not. 

They don't have to change the play calling or scheme to let up. Intensity drops off when its a blow out. Why risk a hammy or make that hard hit and maybe injure myself in a game that is over? They let up. Its easy to see watching the game. Its normal. There may even be a hint of sportsmanship in it. I know I let up when I'm up 30 points in a basketball game. Those guys wives are sitting over there and they can't play with us. You let up.  It clearly happened in both games.

What coach is going to say, "yeah, we let up a bit, we were killing them in their own place, it was ugly"?

Plus what coach is going to continually blitz with a 20+ point lead and let the other team in it very quickly?  People don't think before they post.  Theres a level of respect and gamesmanship that prevents coaches from saying "oh yea, we let up, there was no point in blitzing anymore...".

What

pocket? You want to see a pocket? Did you see manning bowl? What Peyton

has is a CLEAN pocket. It is poetry in motion. Robert is throwing in a

new york city back alley at 2 am with 3 gangbangers mugging him.

I'm not saying it's the best, it's not.  But the fact that the line isn't

the best, doesn't absolve RGIII of the need to improve that deficiency

in his game. 

This is the same line that was heralded last year, now it's garbage...?  The only thing that's changed is Roberts health and his approach to the game.  This line was built for a QB that's mobile and he's walking in cement right now.

How do you know Robert does'nt want to run the read option? Did he say that in the presser? Do you have a link?

He and his father said he wants to run less...  Google it.  LOL.  Less RO = more passing as a traditional drop back QB. 

I'm black...and I think his stats are meaningless. The race issue is buffoonery. Yeah, there may be a few idiots that feel that way but I'm sure everyone else is just being realistic.

LET ME GET THIS POINT ACROSS: JUST BECAUSE I THINK HE ISN'T PLAYING WELL, IT DOES NOT MEAN I WANT HIM BENCHED. I'M JUST NOT DELUSIONAL.

Can any of you tell me why our offense only plays well when they are down 3+ scores? If he was playing well, why couldn't he and the receivers do jack **** when the game was competitive?

For one, the playcalling has been a lot better in the 2nd half of each game when we go with a more open spread out look. 

I highlighted in another post how we moved the ball into Packers territory when it was on 10-0 on the huge screen pass to Garcon, then went pitch, busted screen and screen to Helu that went nowhere on 3rd and long. Then we looked like we were going to go for it on 4th only to have the quarter end and we decide to punt.

We aren't taking advantage of our possessions for sure but to act like the offense isn't there at all in the first half is misleading too. Another example was Garcon's slip on a deep out yesterday that was there for a first down early. 

I think if they are content to have Griffin not run or even bootleg/rollout etc then they need to open the offense up more like they do in the second half. 

Sure some of it is aided by softer coverages but I bet the offense would look a hell of a lot better than it has in whatever the heck Kyle has been running the first two weeks prior to halftime.

It is baffling. 

His pocket awareness is atrocious. It was last year, but it didn't matter because our run game was unstoppable. Pocket awareness, pocket movement, feeling/evading the rush, using his eyes and not staring down receivers, throwing with accuracy. Everything is off. The line hasn't done him any favors, but it's really bad right now.

Saying it's off implies he had it to begin with. He's shown flashes off it, but there's no way he's just gonna show up and pull these abilities out of his rear end and I think that's what a lot of fans were expecting. God knows why...

WTF is this a real post?  I mean, dead serious?

Yeah man. listen up. I know we all love rg3, but for real, its not gonna be as easy as last year.... he can't run like he wants which is what made him special. I think he want be the same...just don't wanna see him be another mcnabb or campbell. We could use 2 1st round picks if we trade him now... get some more talent on offense and let cousins run the show

Saying it's off implies he had it to begin with. He's shown flashes off it, but there's no way he's just gonna show up and pull these abilities out of his rear end and I think that's what a lot of fans were expecting. God knows why...

And it's not a knock on him, no QB is perfect straight out of college.  He should have worked on that stuff in the offseason but had to rehab instead.  He'll catch up, it just wont be in the next game or two.

This is the same line that was heralded last year, now it's garbage...?  The only thing that's changed is Roberts health and his approach to the game.  This line was built for a QB that's mobile and he's walking in cement right now.

The line was never heralded as a pass blocking unit outside of Trent. Everyone knew this OL sucked at passing blocking in a traditional sense. 

Yeah man. listen up. I know we all love rg3, but for real, its not gonna be as easy as last year.... he can't run like he wants which is what made him special. I think he want be the same...just don't wanna see him be another mcnabb or campbell. We could use 2 1st round picks if we trade him now... get some more talent on offense and let cousins run the show

Wow so much wrong with this post I question if you are joking. If you think Cousins could better manage this offense from the last two weeks...well I don't know what to tell you. You're delusional...

Plus what coach is going to continually blitz with a 20+ point lead and let the other team in it very quickly?  People don't think before they post.  Theres a level of respect and gamesmanship that prevents coaches from saying "oh yea, we let up, there was no point in blitzing anymore...".

I'm not saying it's the best, it's not.  But the fact that the line isn't

the best, doesn't absolve RGIII of the need to improve that deficiency

in his game. 

He and his father said he wants to run less...  Google it.  LOL.  Less RO = more passing as a traditional drop back QB. 

Are you kidding? Our Line absolute stank at Pass protection last season. Rg3 was one of the most hurried, touched and sacked QBs. Luck and Vick may have had it worse but luck was throwing it 40+ times a game like someone we know so well is now. . What our line is great at is running that shanny zone blocking scheme. We are not built for pass protection which puts us in a ctach 22 situation. If Robert can adapt though, this period of adversity will be great for us long term.

Are you kidding? Our Line absolute stank at Pass protection last season. Rg3 was one of the most hurried, touched and sacked QBs. Luck and Vick may have had it worse but luck was throwing it 40+ times a game like someone we know so well is now. . What our line is great at is running that shanny zone blocking scheme. We are not built for pass protection which puts us in a ctach 22 situation. If Robert can adapt though, this period of adversity will be great for us long term.

It was bad at pass pro but it was Roberts legs that made the offense what it was last year.  Without that element, everything falls apart.  I think that's why people feel like Kirk could spark the offense because for either health reasons or willingness, he'd more than likely provide more mobility than Robert right now.  I dunno, if I agree.  Robert is very reluctant to run right now...  I get that.  But it's to the detriment of the offense. 

So we're either fine with the offense sucking until he improves his pocket skills, or runs more.

He's dual threat but that doesn't mean the only thing he can do is run. Why aren't the coaches moving the pocket and getting him out in space where he has running lanes and a wide open view of the WRs without all the chaos in the pocket? You know, the offense Shanahan ran for 20 years before last season when he incorporated the RO?

The guy still has legs. Move him around for Pete's sake. 

Griffin is a good pocket passer. Even Andrew Luck is still learning how to do it in the NFL. We should expect no different from RG3. A sophomore slump is not uncommon for a player like him that now has a target on his back. Add in the fact that he's coming off a devastating knee injury.

I think he is definitely a good enough pocket passer, hes at around 62% completion right now. The problem is, he doesnt seem comfortable enough to plant that leg fully to get more zip and accuracy on the ball. Once he gets comfortable with doing that, i think we will see a lot more efficiency out of him

And it's not a knock on him, no QB is perfect straight out of college.  He should have worked on that stuff in the offseason but had to rehab instead.  He'll catch up, it just wont be in the next game or two.

Exactly, and considering this is the first offense he's been in with a playbook, let alone anything that even resembles a traditional pocket based offense I think he's about where he should be, if not ahead of that. The mental aspect of being a complete NFL QB requires a high football IQ, (check) strong work ethic (check) and lots and lots of reps. If he's not on the field the first two checks won't get him or the team anywhere.

I think he is definitely a good enough pocket passer, hes at around 62% completion right now. The problem is, he doesnt seem comfortable enough to plant that leg fully to get more zip and accuracy on the ball. Once he gets comfortable with doing that, i think we will see a lot more efficiency out of him

Wait, you mean he is actually doing ok and it's more to do with rust and returning from a major knee injury and it may take time to get his legs, confidence and trust back in his game and body?

Yeah, I agree but so many on here want to go ahead and move on because he isn't 2012 Thanksgiving game RG3 right out of the gate.

Griffin is a good pocket passer. Even Andrew Luck is still learning how to do it in the NFL. We should expect no different from RG3. A sophomore slump is not uncommon for a player like him that now has a target on his back. Add in the fact that he's coming off a devastating knee injury.

In my humble opinion he isn't, but there's no reason other than injuries or the rehiring of Cerrato that he can't become one.

Saying it's off implies he had it to begin with.

You don't think he threw with accuracy, and had good footwork last year?  I clearly implied that he didn't have good pocket awareness last year, but I did not imply that he struggled throwing the football, missing receivers and sailing the ball all over the place. That's what I meant by "Everything is off."

Archived