Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Griffin A Good Enough Pocket Passer?

The Trashman

Because there is a double standard around these parts and it seems people expect griff to walk on water. The guy is mentally recoving from a second ACL injury. Another one means career=over. He may nit be right for a little while but the only way for him to get right is support and playing time.These two young guns Kaep and RW are really good and they struggled to execute basic passes tonight. No three alarm fires in SF or Seattle though. There shouldn't be any here either. Simple. 

Well then the answer is simple.

I don't hold this way of thinking as I think its just rust but I would not be surprised if a lot fans are flipping **** because they are scared that he won't be the same after the injury. If Wilson or Kaep were in a similar situation then SF and SEA would be doing the same iMO

Well then the answer is simple.

I don't hold this way of thinking as I think its just rust but I would not be surprised if a lot fans are flipping **** because they are scared that he won't be the same after the injury. If Wilson or Kaep were in a similar situation then SF and SEA would be doing the same iMO

Fair enough. I agree. I thought you were one of "them". I understand the fear but if doc andrews has scoped the knee and sees it healed then it is healed. I am not worried about that. I am more worried about the defense. Robert getting back to second eagles game of last season form is only a matter of time. Will e ever be Vikings form again? It might take a couple years to truly answer that.

what facts have you given.  Please give me some real facts that support your claim that the 49ers ran the read option against the packers more than we did all last season.

Please make me and every other person who saw how flat the Ravens were after the lights went out believe it had nothing to do with their comeback.  Oh yeah, it was the read option alone that brought them back. 

Please comment on Ray Rice's fumble and the Ted Ginn's long punt return and the awesome 49er DEFENSE that wouldn't allow a flat Raven offense to move the ball. 

Oh yeah, like I said, just someone who comments without reading the thread.  Typical.  Cause if you had read the thread, you'd actually understand the thread's point, which is Robert as a "POCKET PASSER."  And please refrain from name calling as I haven't stooped to that low level.   

I did not say they ran the read option more in that game than we had the whole season. I said they ran it more than we did in ANY ONE GAME.

The threat of the read option started getting Gore bigger run lanes and he took advantage of that. Ray Rice fumbling and Ted Ginn on special teams is in inconsequential to the Niners offense playing better. Which is what you're completely ignoring to prop up your failing argument. You're the one claiming the offense did nothing, despite the stats, which apparently Ray Rice, Ted Ginn, and a bad Stadium manager were bigger influences on the outcome of the game. Bottom line, Crabtree runs a better route and the Niners are Superbowl championships, and they would've down it using the read option extensively.

Exactly, it was a route.  The 49ers were done, but Gamebreaker, who had the nerve to call me a troll and then of course comments and runs away, think the read option is the only reason they made a game of it.

I'll give it credit, it is an effective formation, but for our Redskins, it is slowing Robert's development as a QB.

The word is "rout", not "route." And this is a message board, not a chat room. You should a little longer before puffing our your chest....especially when you're flat wrong.

1- He was practicing prior to the start of the season during the preseason. He progressed from 7 on 7 to full practices. He was even talking to the media about how much he didn't like being held back. Did he get all of the work in? No. But you statement isn't accurate and when you take on an arrogant tone you should have your facts straight.

2- The pistol is a formation. Do you mean the read option?

Facts....gotta love 'em.

The word is "rout", not "route." And this is a message board, not a chat room. You should a little longer before puffing our your chest....especially when you're flat wrong.

Facts....gotta love 'em.

You are implying that Robert was prepared for this season? He wasnt aeven allowed 7 on 7 practice until summer. he wasn't cleared for full team practice until preseason and they don't touch the QB even in "full" team drills. He was most certainly NOT prepared for this year and I don't believe he realized that until his first snaps in the fire of a live game.  Either that or Robert, Doc and the Skins organization knew he was going to struggle and decided to camoflauge it by keeping him out of "meaningless" games.

You are implying that Robert was prepared for this season? He wasnt aeven allowed 7 on 7 practice until summer. he wasn't cleared for full team practice until preseason and they don't touch the QB even in "full" team drills. He was most certainly NOT prepared for this year and I don't believe he realized that until his first snaps in the fire of a live game.  Either that or Robert, Doc and the Skins organization knew he was going to struggle and decided to camoflauge it by keeping him out of "meaningless" games.

No, that's not what I'm saying. One poster said Griffin didn't have 7-on-7's, as if he did nothing prior to playing Philly. Destino corrected him, those are the facts I'm talking about. I agree that he was not prepared, especially when this offense is now different than what we ran last season. But with his injury, I don't think there was no other way to get him better prepared but giving him live reps in a game. He was better this week compared to last week. I expect that to continue as the season goes on.

Griffin needs work on his footwork, and his ability to slide in the pocket and extend plays. Also his ability to read defenses, go through progressions, and accurately hit open receivers.

Last year teams had to prepare for read options and Robert running. He wasn't forced to learn the above as many of his passes were play action with quick reads. The defenses were worried about his running ability which created openings for receivers.

So in some ways he is like a rookie this year. The way I see it, he either has to revert back to what they did last year, and run the risk of injury or they allow him to play through and learn how to pass from the pocket.

It's going to take some time, it's not the way he's played in college or his first year in the NFL so expecting him to be great at it overnight is just not logical.

Facts....gotta love 'em.

Here are some other useless facts like the ones whom you quoted from someone else.

The sun is hot

Airplanes fly.

Objects fall when dropped.

Your haven't supported your argument with facts.

Please stop insulting my intelligence trying to argue some point, I don't know what it is, with information you pulled from somewhere else and claim it to be your argument.  I don't even know what the hell your talking about.  What the hell are you talking about?  And your also mister spell check, laughable.

So that you know, we're talking about Robert's ability to pass in the pocket, and some like myself think the read option/pistol formation base offense, which we run a lot, is a detriment to our franchise QB's career.  Your response is name calling and that I don't know what I'm talking about, but you haven't actually added anything useful. 

Make a real contribution instead of posturing with bully speech and insults about IQ and grammatical errors.  It's rather embarrassing.

Garbage time stats? Funny How Kaep couldnt compile  "garbage time" stats tonight, well, I suppose turnovers are a stat. No slight on him. Must be tough to play well in the NFL at any time...

Are you suggesting the Seattle defense and the Green Bay and Philly defenses are even remotely comparable?  Garbage time or not, Seattle's gonna give you the business.  And there's a bit of a coaching rivalry, Seattle ain't letting off the gas in "garbage time".

All I'm gonna say out here is everything isn't roses & candy between Kyle & Robert. Stuff boiling over from the bye week last year.

If this is true, then we may well actually be screwed

Well, when they play how Kyle wants to play, he goes to the Pro Bowl, Rookie of the Year, set's rookie passing efficiency records.  When they don't and RG3 doesn't run, he's not so great.  RG3 needs to listen up and absorb the coaching.  All his problems really stem from no one but him.  Not the entire offense's problems, but specifically his problems.  

All I'm gonna say out here is everything isn't roses & candy between Kyle & Robert. Stuff boiling over from the bye week last year.

They had a whole little thing in yesterday's game showing RG3 and Kyle being visibly frustrated with each other.  Not something you want to hear when talking about a developing QB. 

Honestly, I think Robert Griffin is overachieving right now. He's limited physically (perfectly understandable), the defense is giving him NOTHING, and Fred Davis has disappeared.

He's throwing pretty well and able to scramble enough to find open receivers. We're not getting blown out because of Griffin. We're getting blown out because we stink.

HTTR24-7.com ‏@HTTR24_77m

Well, when they play how Kyle wants to play, he goes to the Pro Bowl, Rookie of the Year, set's rookie passing efficiency records.  When they don't and RG3 doesn't run, he's not so great.  RG3 needs to listen up and absorb the coaching.  All his problems really stem from no one but him.  Not the entire offense's problems, but specifically his problems.

is the problem that rg3 wants to run and kyle isn't letting him? if thats the case, its a coaching problem

They had a whole little thing in yesterday's game showing RG3 and Kyle being visibly frustrated with each other.  Not something you want to hear when talking about a developing QB. 

I don't put a whole lot of stock in it, when they're getting their brains beat out every week.  There's bound to be some frustration, but I don't doubt that they get along overall.   And Kyle's probably a chip off the old block and headstrong and RG3's not lacking for confidence, so I'd imagine they butt heads over one thing or another on a regular basis.  I'm not worried about it, at least not yet.

is the problem that rg3 wants to run and kyle isn't letting him? if thats the case, its a coaching problem

That would be a serious coaching problem. Our offense won't be competitive until RG is a threat to run. What's baffling is that everyone knows that, but somebody (whether it's the coach or the QB) won't address it.

I can't see that being the case.  I think him not running is on RG3.  The whole read option thing was Kyle's idea to employ to begin with.  I think if there were no designed runs and he could channel his inner Peyton Manning, RG3 would be cool with it.  RG3's stated publically the sentiment that he wants to throw more and his "camp" has made it known that the designed running should be curtailed.  But the injury is the real fly in the ointment.  

you guys want  to blame everyone except RGIII go ahead.  The truth of the matter is he is a very average QB right now if he can't use his feet and speed.  His speed is not there, we all can see this, but the coaching staff is not even rolling out, or run any bootlegs.  is this guy 100%, are we going to try to turn him into a pocket QB or what?  If we are going to try to turn him into a pocket QB well get use to it this season is lost.  5-11 here we come.  If we want better start Cousins.  RGIII is not a pocket QB, never was.

The play calling is nothing like last year.  Therefore we have been outscored 50-7 in the first half of both games.  Sorry if this is not getting into peoples heads.  The offense is totally inept when it counts.  You guys can say all you want on how we do something later on in the games but the fact of the matter is we don't have the D to have them out there constantly.  

I don't see it as a coaching problem. It's more of a "Catch 22" situation. We can't force Griffin to do too much on that knee right now but we can't sit him because he's healthy enough to play and needs the reps.

It's inhibiting our ability to put the best offense we have into full effect, but we've got too much invested. I think the coaching staff has to hold their cards right now. Not optimal at all, but we have to bring him along at a safe speed. 

Besides, I really think things would be very different if the defense could stop anything at all. RG3 is under the spotlight but I really don't think he's the problem.

I don't see it as a coaching problem. It's more of a "Catch 22" situation. We can't force Griffin to do too much on that knee right now but we can't sit him because he's healthy enough to play and needs the reps.

It's inhibiting our ability to put the best offense we have into full effect, but we've got too much invested. I think the coaching staff has to hold their cards right now. Not optimal at all, but we have to bring him along at a safe speed. 

Besides, I really think things would be very different if the defense could stop anything at all. RG3 is under the spotlight but I really don't think he's the problem.

the reason i see it as a problem is because its almost giving up on the season. sure rg3 needs the reps, but its coming at a cost of losing games. if rg3 can't do the full playbook, they he needs to sit until hes 100%, because hes obviously not ready. right now, i think we have a better chance of winning with cousins at qb.

The problem is that RG3 believes they can be successful spreading it out 4wide and throwing if they have to and would like to do it sooner in games. If they aren't going to run bootlegs and move the pocket RG3 doesn't want to sit in a collapsing pocket with 2 WR options every play and bury his team early in the half. 

That is what LL talks and hints about in his other tweets too which also is what Robert did during the bye last year. He said he wanted to take on more passing. What they are doing now, despite passing a lot isn't putting the offense in the best position to succeed. 

the reason i see it as a problem is because its almost giving up on the season. sure rg3 needs the reps, but its coming at a cost of losing games. if rg3 can't do the full playbook, they he needs to sit until hes 100%, because hes obviously not ready. right now, i think we have a better chance of winning with cousins at qb.

Cousins would fail in this offense from the first two games too. Its basically what we ran the first few drives of the Cleveland game when Cousins looked pretty dang awful. 

Archived