Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Griffin A Good Enough Pocket Passer?

The Trashman

Some of what I'm reading is embarrassing.  Some of you should really try to learn aa little about football instead of just opening your mouths. 

Robert looks like he does for two reasons.

1. He hasn't played football  since the Seahawk game last January.  No OTA's, minicamps, 7 on 7s, scrimmages, preseason, practice, etc...

2. He ran the stupid pistol offense all last year, which stunted his growth as an NFL quarterback, and hid his deficiencies as a pocket passer.

What's even dumber is people are actually mad because our FRANCHISE QB is now taking the "lumps" he should have taken last year, in order to actually develop into a pocket passer or whatever hybrid type qb he needs to be to win. 

Fact is, the Redskins are not winning a Superbowl with Robert running the read option, and he's not going to improve on 3rd down as a passer until he develops the ability to read defenses. 

I am happy he and the staff have decided what's best for him and the team by letting him develop correctly despite the idiocy of some of our fan base who seem to know little about  NFL football.

Wow, so other people are embarrassing, need to learn football, and yet you claim Griffin can't read defenses and this is based off what? Have you seen actual game film, that shows the whole field and reveals him not being able to get off his first read? What exactly is your determination based off, besides your inability to handle your favorite team losing and a need to lash out. 

So what happens to the guys overreacting in this thread if RGIII shreds Detroit? Do you come back and eat crow or are you going to act like you knew it was going to happen? I mean seriously the whining and crying is unbearable. Let the kid knock off the damn rust and quit ****ing.

DTMBro - Do you think that could have anything to do with the fact that he is coming back from knee surgery and isn't over the mental hurdles yet regarding his confidence and trust in his body and game?

Let's be serious guys. If he wasn't hurt last year and had a full healthy productive offseason and played like this, we might have a point.

Really?  He ****ing sucks right now.  We need him to play 4 quarters, not be a **** and decide to play in the second half after the game is almost lost.  He is clearly playing scared.  He will not run, he will not scramble, he will not plant on throws.  He is ****ing horrible right now and the main reason we are 0-2.  

I will give the entire offense our week one loss, Morris was horrible, RG3 was horrible and there were a lot of dropped passes.  But this week, its all on RG3 imo.  We were so lucky we were not down 31-0 after 2 quarters of play.  He had two passes blocked, and looked flat out horrible.  The only good run he had, well, that was called back because of a penalty.  Other than that, completely useless most of 3 quarters. 

Looks like he is protecting his career instead of playing ball, cause he hesitates so much now in the pocket.  He refuses to scramble like last year and if they are running the read option, hes refusing to keep the ball.  He's playing like he is scared to get hit and injured resulting in permanently being out of the league.  I expect this from a guy year 10 in the league, not the previous offensive rookie of the year in year two. 

How many drops today? How many penalties? How much time did he get before the pocket collapsed. What was morris doing in the 1h? Why did the defense allow Arod to have a d**n near career performance? Rg3 has nothing to do with our D allowing a 14 play 8 minute scoring drive on the first posession of the game. Get a grip.

And is the defense good enough to stop on offense from scoring 21+ points in the 1st quarter? Playing from behind abandons the run which in turn inhibits the passing game.

Irrelevant. If RGIII cared he would be out there tackling players and intercepting the ball. If he wasnt so worried about his next subway sandwich he'd be blocking also and while he's at it, catching the ball as well. He's so selfish, how dare he not play like a top 5 QB after tearing up his knee and missing pretty much all of the offseason work....

Wow that's a crazy statement.  The 49ers didn't run the read option exclusively like we did last year. 

It wasn't until other teams saw us using it successfully, that they started using it.  Not to mention the 49ers had arguably the best defense and o-line in football.  AND THEY STILL LOST. 

They were also getting blown out running that offense in the Superbowl until the lights went out.  How quickly people omit the truth when they're trying to prove a lost argument.

We didn't run the read option on every play Mr.No-one-knows-football-like-I-do. 

Quite frankly, the Niners ran the read option more in their playoff game against the Packers, than we did in any one game the whole season. Maybe you should re-check your game film? 

Furthermore, you must not have actually WATCHED the Superbowl, because the Niners running read option after the blackout is what freed up their running game. They actually barely ran it prior to that point. 

Keep it going, buddy. You're on a roll. 

So the Pistol is stupid now?  The same Pistol that half the league is incorporating now?  Being in the Pistol doesn't have anything to do with anything, you can still play out of the pocket in the pistol if that's what you wanna do.  Peyton Manning's been in the pistol some this season.

And the Pistol isn't an offense, it's a formation. 

Now, teams have film on us and the "read option" PISTOL FORMATION and have a better grasp at how to stop it.  Also, they now know RG3s weakness.  MIDDLE PRESSURE!!!  He is struggling to make a quick good read on passing downs with pressure in his face, as do most qbs, and he's not going to improve without reps. 

And if he continues to run the pistol 75% of the time, he will develop more slowly, and keep getting hit in the pocket or scrambling to avoid pressure, due to slow release and keep getting hit like he did by Haloti Naghta (however you spell it). 

Again, I'm not sure what the pistol formation has to do with his development as a passer. If you're referring to the read option, they did not run it 75% of the time. Read option effects his running decisions. If you're referring to play action off of the read option, it would be no different than play action off of the stretch run, a Shanahan staple. Should they eliminate that play to develop him as a "pocket passer" as we'll?

I don't believe periodic read option looks in the offense is mutually exclusive to his developing skills in reading defenses in the pocket.

Wow, so other people are embarrassing, need to learn football, and yet you claim Griffin can't read defenses and this is based off what? Have you seen actual game film, that shows the whole field and reveals him not being able to get off his first read? What exactly is your determination based off, besides your inability to handle your favorite team losing and a need to lash out. 

Please tell me where I said he can't read a defense?  Oh your one of those people who has an opinion but doesn't read posts.  Okay.  Like people mad at the president but didn't vote.  Figures.

People are angry about the offense (rightfully so) but misguiding their frustration on RGIII.

In 2012 so much of what the offense did was predicated on RGIII's dual threat as a runner & passer.

What you see now, is that he is basically a passer. Not stationary, you see him run sometimes, he is still mobile and can get yards with his legs, but the designed dual threat is just about gone from the playbook currently.

However, it shouldn't be on Robert that the O-line can't block, it shouldn't be on Robert that a ball thrown to WR right to a receiver's hands, turns into a linebacker INT.  It's not on Robert that our WRs & TE's seem to drop any ball that isn't perfectly placed in their chest, while we watch across the league WRs making much tougher catchers, and laying out for balls. 

It shouldn't be on Robert, that despite the O-line being unable to block a tissue blowing in the mind, Kyle Shanahan doesn't seem to adjust the game plan to try and remove some of the extra blitzers. Where were the 3 step drops and quick passes, or TE drops right over the top of the pass rush? We saw none of that kind of stuff called.

RGIII did have a few head-scratching throws, and it is probably due to mis-communications as he was never known before as someone who would make errant throws to no man's land.

The offense is terrible right now but to me the two biggest reasons are the salary cap penalty making the team unable to upgrade in the trenches, and the current play-calling on offense that is putting RGIII in a bad spot behind a line that can't block effectively.

Quite frankly, the Niners ran the read option more in their playoff game against the Packers, than we did in any one game the whole season. Maybe you should re-check your game film? 

Furthermore, you must not have actually WATCHED the Superbowl, because the Niners running read option after the blackout is what freed up their running game. They actually barely ran it prior to that point. 

What freed up their offense was the lights going out, buddy.  Also the fact that the Ravens fumbled and couldn't get a first down.  Did you forget that or just purposely omit that part to bolster your week argument. 

I'm sure your one of those "let Robert run until his career is over" or "he's a football player, and not bigger than the Redskins winning a game" fans.  I am not, and the point is, he's got to get better as a passer on passing downs or we're going keep losing, or he won't last long enough to get to a Superbowl. 

But please, keep missing the point, and harping on percentages and averages, and every other useless stat that shows how great a running qb is except winning a Superbowl.   

Yeah, but they didn't WIN the Super Bowl in their first season of running the read option, so the RO is a catastrophic failure and always will be.

What freed up their offense was the lights going out, buddy.  Also the fact that the Ravens fumbled and couldn't get a first down.  Did you forget that or just purposely omit that part to bolster your week argument. 

I'm sure your one of those "let Robert run until his career is over" or "he's a football player, and not bigger than the Redskins winning a game" fans.  I am not, and the point is, he's got to get better as a passer on passing downs or we're going keep losing, or he won't last long enough to get to a Superbowl. 

But please, keep missing the point, and harping on percentages and averages, and every other useless stat that shows how great a running qb is except winning a Superbowl.   

Seriously? The lights going out freed up their offense? That makes no sense.  And in the same paragraph you say somebody else has a weak argument? This is gold :lol:

How does lights going out actually make an offense play better? You're either trolling or really this stupid. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and consider this poor attempt at debate, trolling. 

And so I'm clear about how your logic works: you make a false claim, I refute it with facts, and now I'm using "useless stats and harping on percentages and averages". Yeah, it just seems like you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Thanks for playing though! 

Yeah, but they didn't WIN the Super Bowl in their first season of running the read option, so the RO is a catastrophic failure and always will be.

This is sarcasm, right? If it is, forgive me. Mr. Love has destroyed my ability to tell the difference in this thread. 

what facts have you given.  Please give me some real facts that support your claim that the 49ers ran the read option against the packers more than we did all last season.

Please make me and every other person who saw how flat the Ravens were after the lights went out believe it had nothing to do with their comeback.  Oh yeah, it was the read option alone that brought them back. 

Please comment on Ray Rice's fumble and the Ted Ginn's long punt return and the awesome 49er DEFENSE that wouldn't allow a flat Raven offense to move the ball. 

Oh yeah, like I said, just someone who comments without reading the thread.  Typical.  Cause if you had read the thread, you'd actually understand the thread's point, which is Robert as a "POCKET PASSER."  And please refrain from name calling as I haven't stooped to that low level.   

Lets be honest about that Superbowl. If the lights don't cause an hour delay, the 49ers are getting blown out from beginning to end.  The power outage not only forced a red hot Raven's offense to stop and get cold, but it also gave time a tired and bewildered 49ers defense to re-group.

I'm not saying the 49ers would have continued to play THAT bad the entire way, but I think the Ravens win comfortably if not for the outage.

Archived