Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Griffin A Good Enough Pocket Passer?

The Trashman

So if RGIII had spread out his TDs it would have been better for you? We still would have lost by the same result. I love how people blame RGIII instead of the defense that gave up 38 points and 620 yards and would have given up even more if GB had started to run up the score. And no, GB didn't go into a soft prevent in the second half, so don't even try that.

No, the point was, when there was a chance to punch back, the offense was nowhere to be found. They only started scoring during... wait for it... garbage time.

So if RGIII had spread out his TDs it would have been better for you? We still would have lost by the same result. I love how people blame RGIII instead of the defense that gave up 38 points and 620 yards and would have given up even more if GB had started to run up the score. And no, GB didn't go into a soft prevent in the second half, so don't even try that.

You don't think the defenses are playing softer when they're up 30+ points?

Yeah but like someone said in another thread, our o-line is not built for pocket passing, which begs the question why in the hell are we not calling rollouts and boots??

We need to be, immediately. Our defense is not good enough to keep us in games while we use RG3 like Carson Palmer.

Ok but the question is how do you get RGIII back to where he was in 2012.  Is sitting him going to do any good?

AP was not himself until a month into 2012.  He didn't get benched, he kept getting reps to strengthen and make everything right again.

The hope is the team can manage to get to 2-2 at the bye week to give the team a chance for rest of season.

If they can't? Well the team needs to be upgraded obviously.

I want to know why suddenly RGIII having some growing pains and trying to get back into the swing of playing (he didn't even get to practice with the team as much as he could have if he was 100% healthy, so hes had very little time actually running the offense) is unacceptable.

Its almost like fans will not accept RGIII needing some playing time to get back to form. I don't really understand it. 

I don't want to see a bunch of Kirk Cousins threads either.

If the coaches thought this was a QB problem they'd have already pulled RGIII.

I'm surprised there's only one. I will make a little joke and say I'm not sure if coach knows when to pull a qb based on the last playoff game. :P I agree though. It's way too late to think about starting Cousins. The time would have been for the opener.

I would actually like to see a Rocca thread, but I had a bad experience starting a thread complaining about a punter, so I'm not going to do it.

I think the experts agree it will take RGIII probably up to 5-6 games to get his confidence, and more important, his legs, back to where they need to be. Even though AP said he was 100% in 2012, he still felt his legs getting stronger and stronger as the season progressed.

Coming back from this type of injury is not like turning a light switch on. You just don't get up and go like nothing happened. It is a work in progress each and every game. I think RGIII knows this. I know the Shanahans and Doc Andrews all know this. It's just a matter of getting the reps in, even if the team goes 0-5. It is more critical to keep RGIII playing than yanking him just to try winning more. His commitment to continuity is the only way to stabilize the offense in the long run.

I think the experts agree it will take RGIII probably up to 5-6 games to get his confidence, and more important, his legs, back to where they need to be. Even though AP said he was 100% in 2012, he still felt his legs getting stronger and stronger as the season progressed.

Coming back from this type of injury is not like turning a light switch on. You just don't get up and go like nothing happened. It is a work in progress each and every game. I think RGIII knows this. I know the Shanahans and Doc Andrews all know this. It's just a matter of getting the reps in, even if the team goes 0-5. It is more critical to keep RGIII playing than yanking him just to try winning more. His commitment to continuity is the only way to stabilize the offense in the long run.

RGIII has to get the time and reps otherwise he won't really be as sharp as he was last season. The idea of RGIII just coming back miraculously without skipping a beat was a daft thought in the first place. That is giving the rest of the NFL not enough credit or at the very least highly underestimating the difficulty of being an NFL QB. As talented as RGIII is, he only made it look easy because he worked hard. Hes going to have to get back to it and fans need to realize that its not going to just be 2012 again just because hes back on the field. He needs time. 

I think the expectations might have been a bit too high given how little time RGIII had with the team to prepare. Also, I think people should be a little more willing to let RGIII have a few rough games before bringing out the "bench him and play cousins!" crap.

He is not the greatest pocket passer but the underlying assumption that he won't get better when forced into this situation or won't get stability and speed back to near 2012 level is ridiculous. If the O-line isn't built for pass protection then it isn't going to be able to provide him time to make his throws. You want to see a good O-line? Check out the Pats or Broncos O-line. They look like a machine when providing pass protection. Our O-line is great at running shanny's zone blocking scheme but that is where it stops. I predicted earlier this summer that Robert would struggle upon his return to live game action and that some of your would turn on him in a heartbeat and it is happening. Where is the support?

Post game quote "I am not going to run to show people that I can run, thats stupid". The read option is based on a Qb's ability to run, that is what made our O prolific last year---rushing lanes, open receivers, zone blocking all because the D is keying on him. Now our opponents are saying please run, and he does not so they can put more in the box. And we are seeing limited play calls from last year. As a result a zone blocking built line is trying to protect a pocket and they are out matched and not build for that protection it is a zone blocking o line. Our QB is not a pocket passer, and never will be in this league. Not sure if I can blame Roberts arrogance or coaches for playing him when he is nt the same player. We basically have Rex in the pocket. HTTR

Griffin doesn't seem to be much of a threat. I sincerely hope his legs aren't his best asset. He needs to get it together quick. 

I disagree. In terms of accuracy, he did much better than he did last week, even if you dissected both halves of each game. The problem, IMO, appears to be the offensive game plan/calling and the inability of most of the receivers to get separation when needed. He did have some missed passes but most of the incompletes were receiver mistakes.

As he gets more reps and time working with his receivers, these mistakes will be minimized.

RGIII has to get the time and reps otherwise he won't really be as sharp as he was last season. The idea of RGIII just coming back miraculously without skipping a beat was a daft thought in the first place. That is giving the rest of the NFL not enough credit or at the very least highly underestimating the difficulty of being an NFL QB. As talented as RGIII is, he only made it look easy because he worked hard. Hes going to have to get back to it and fans need to realize that its not going to just be 2012 again just because hes back on the field. He needs time. 

I think the expectations might have been a bit too high given how little time RGIII had with the team to prepare. Also, I think people should be a little more willing to let RGIII have a few rough games before bringing out the "bench him and play cousins!" crap.

Why should we let him play a few games? If he can't run the same offensive as last year then put a healthy player in and bring him in i 5-6 weeks. Our coaches allowed his ego to bully them. Accommodating his unwillingness to run is changing the offensive dynamic. He will never be a pocket passer.

Post game quote "I am not going to run to show people that I can run, thats stupid". The read option is based on a Qb's ability to run, that is what made our O prolific last year---rushing lanes, open receivers, zone blocking all because the D is keying on him. Now our opponents are saying please run, and he does not so they can put more in the box. And we are seeing limited play calls from last year. As a result a zone blocking built line is trying to protect a pocket and they are out matched and not build for that protection it is a zone blocking o line. Our QB is not a pocket passer, and never will be in this league. Not sure if I can blame Roberts arrogance or coaches for playing him when he is nt the same player. We basically have Rex in the pocket. HTTR

Again, he can eveolve into a pocket passer. He is talented enough to do it. Steve Young did it and believes RGIII can do it also. Kaepernick was never a pocket passer but did so quite well last week. All he needed was a chance.

Folks need to allow things to develop and ease up on the panic button. The season is young and we all know the latter part of the season is where the rubber hits the road.

HTTR!

"never will be in this league" and you are basing this on? Last year vs eagles and cowboys late in the season griff didnt really keep on the read option plays that were run and he was effective from the pocket. I think you are right about the O-line but the lack of willingness to be patient is just gross.

Why should we let him play a few games? If he can't run the same offensive as last year then put a healthy player in and bring him in i 5-6 weeks. Our coaches allowed his ego to bully them. Accommodating his unwillingness to run is changing the offensive dynamic. He will never be a pocket passer.

Because there is no way to get the rust out and get him up to speed  but live game action. Simple, really... He can't be touched during practice. The little muscles and ligaments in the knee need to be built up and he needs to gain more confidence facing REAL pass rush.

Possibly worth pointing out that our QB who is still not close to being sharp has 650+ yards passing and 5TDs in two weeks working as a pocket QB. I get that most of that production has come late but we have looked most effective on offense when we have gone shotgun spread and primarily used the pass.

Until RGIII has his legs under him and we cans start running some read option to get defences off balance and open up some running lanes Id like to see us start games in this shotgun spread passing mode. You can still run Morris on some inside zone and pitches but you set that up with the pass rather than set the pass up with the run. It's a big change of identity but one I think we need to make.

None of this is going to matter though if the D keeps giving up huge chunks of yardage.

Are you people serious? did you not read the part where I said he needed reps? Thats in game reps. Not practice reps. Some things you can only get from live action in games that count. If you're so unwilling to let RGIII get that experience than you need to quit clinging to the desperation that we have to win now for anything to matter. 

No offense, but I don't get why people just assume that practice is all a player needs and that benching him for a few weeks would suddenly make this all better. 

Archived