Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Griffin A Good Enough Pocket Passer?

The Trashman

Lol :)

Now, back on subject. Some of you saying it was garbage time makes me lol. When the jags get blown out in the first 3 quarters does grabbers get better? No. When we got blown out by the giants on Mnf did Campbell get better? No. Griffin IS fine, he will BE ok. You all have to just chill and let a few more weeks play out before you can do this.

Russel Wilson's stat line right now is 2/10 48 yds and an interception, think Seattle fans are freaking out????.?

Maybe because he isn't coming off of major knee surgery that could have seriously altered his play style?

Playing devil's advocate

Honestly, call me a homer but if I am being truthful, after rewatching the game, RG3 in the pocket is the least of our problems.

I saw him throwing well and many times early had enough time to throw.

I think the problem so far is the run game and the play calling. For example at 10-0 on our second drive we move the ball into Packers territory. We call a pitch which basically gets Morris the ball 4 yards behind the LOS and and he gets stuffed. I'm tired of these. What happened to our traditional run game from last year. Wy not throw in some RO looks more to help? It just doesn't seem like the pitch is effective for us right now.

On 2nd down and long we call a screen that Matthews blows up and Griffin has to keep it and ends up losing his helmet and getting an AJ Hawk elbow to the chin. On 3rd down and 7 we run a screen to Helu which goes nowhere. We ran screen 3 out of 4 plays consecutively on this drive I believe. Troy comments that this playcall makes sense because we are going for it on 4th down. Offense is in position to take the snap then the quarter runs out. When it comes back we punt. So what the hell was that about?

That is only a small example of a squandered opportunity early on that could have kept us in the game.

I feel like RG3 is doing a pretty good job in the pocket actually. Sure he can be better and he has been staring WRs down a bit but I think this offense can be effective with a limited running RG3 if we can do a better job play calling and and run blocking. It doesn't seem like a Morris is hitting his holes as hard as last year either. I not sure what that is about. Perhaps it's just in my mind.

I'd love to see us move the pocket around more and call more bootlegs. Kyle for as smart as he is, just isn't making the most of this situation. RG3 is not in a wheelchair, he can still move and it is a great way to get him more time and give him some potential safe running lanes. It also allows our WRs more time to get separation.

I'm convinced its time to change the offense a bit. Kyle needs to implement some spread formations/looks to add some variation to the offense. Watching Rogers today in their derivative of a spread offense indicates to me its time to change. Our offense looks archaic and outdated. I realize some it could be attributed to rust from RG3 and penalties, miscues, dropped passes etc.. but the last two games have been over by halftime. Halftime. I don't recall ever witnessing that, even during the Zorn years. 

I know it goes against what Shanahan wants to do but I'd love to see this too. Give RG3 more spread WR sets so he can get some quick passes out early to beat the blitz and hopefully back them off a little and get the passing game into rhythm earlier. Seems like it sold help open the run game up some too

They are not running the same offense.  they are not running the stretch play....   How many times have you seen it, most of the time he just pitches it back or to the side.   The stretch play was used to set up the fake and open the field for passing and for running the boot or the reverse.  They even ran this with Cousins last year.  remember how we beat Baltimore on that same play!

They are not even moving him in the pocket.  Even when he runs from the rush did you see the through back to Moss that was almost intercepted.  He would have keep running last year....

Running is part of his game that makes him dangerous, if not it is going to take a few years for him to be the pocket passer...   Plus were is the quick stretch pass plays that you saw Green Bay use and were was the deep ball.   Some times you just have to throw it to let them know you will throw it..   Garcion and Robinson are fast but you are not throwing the deep ball.....

Go back to the stretch run and the bootleg passing attack.  Throw in the read Option and run the option with Morris and Helu!!!  Change it up.

Next Get a new Defensive Coach!!!!!!!!   Over 1000 yards in two games.   Over 300 yards given up in both first halfs!!!

Maybe because he isn't coming off of major knee surgery that could have seriously altered his play style?

Playing devil's advocate

So you'd be happier if Griffin were completely healthy and just played like crap or couldn't beat a great defense over playing rusty and struggling in his first two games of action since returning from major knee surgery?

RW and Kaep resemble bird crap right now as far as passing is concerned. No one is going to demand that they be benched for their poor production or question if they will ever be the same. You can say it is the defenses but that is bogus because 1)They are missing open recievers with time in the pocket and 2) Robert was facing pass rush throughout both of our first 2 games and still continued to get better as the games went on. 

So you'd be happier if Griffin were completely healthy and just played like crap or couldn't beat a great defense over playing rusty and struggling in his first two games of action since returning from major knee surgery?

Wilson set career highs in week one and didn't turn the ball over en route to a victory and is struggling against one of the best defensive units in the league yet still winning the game. Yeah, I'd take that over worrying if my QB will ever regain the form of his rookie year.

I'm not giving up on the dude but you cannot compare the two right now. Sorry

The worst thing to me is RG III looks scared to me, and doesn't look like he has anywhere near the passion he had last year. When they cut to him on the sideline he looks so disinterested. I also don't feel our line is to blame for RG III playing bad, I'd blame the WRs before him, but like he does to himself, I put most the blame on RG III. I think he is being selfish in not wanting to run the Read option because he is scared, when most the times he ran it he was by himself and ran or slide before defenders got to him.

Wilson set career highs in week one and didn't turn the ball over en route to a victory and is struggling against one of the best defensive units in the league yet still winning the game. Yeah, I'd take that over worrying if my QB will ever regain the form of his rookie year.

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT RAT. R. Wilson 7/16 135 8.4 1 1 68.5 Team 7/16 111 6.9 1 1

..You were saying

Robert had a career day today in terms of passing yardage and 3TDs vs 1INT

Who is having the better game?

RG3 will be fine.  We got WAYYYYY bigger problems than at QB.  Our defense cant stop anyone.

I agree.  He will be fine, but he is not fine right now.  The offense is struggling not just because of him, but I believe because of their lack of meaningful Football playing time with him.  Collectively, they are going to have to work it out. 

The worst thing to me is RG III looks scared to me, and doesn't look like he has anywhere near the passion he had last year. When they cut to him on the sideline he looks so disinterested. I also don't feel our line is to blame for RG III playing bad, I'd blame the WRs before him, but like he does to himself, I put most the blame on RG III. I think he is being selfish in not wanting to run the Read option because he is scared, when most the times he ran it he was by himself and ran or slide before defenders got to him.

Agreed 100%

Of course he is scared of reinjury. Did you not hear Rodney Harrison talking about his experience with knee injury and how scared he was getting back into live action for the first year. Robert has to and IS playing through it.

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT RAT. R. Wilson 7/16 135 8.4 1 1 68.5 Team 7/16 111 6.9 1 1

..You were saying

Robert had a career day today in terms of passing yardage and 3TDs vs 1INT

Who is having the better game?

Oh, you're under the impression that RGIII's stats were meaningful today? 

Yeah, then I can't argue with you. Agree to disagree. 

Neither have been good today but Wilson is playing against the best defense in the league. 

When both are healthy, I'm taking RGIII but right now, Wilson is better. I know it's blasphemous to say on here

EDIT: Looks like Wilson isn't struggling that much anymore

Is there any confirmed information that says RGIII actually doesn't want to run the RO or is this made up ES bull****?

I've seen a lot of ppl bring this up today yet I have haven't heard it anywhere else

It's just made up. Haven't seen anything to suggest it is true outside of comments RG2 made in the offseason and RG3 going to Shanahan last year asking to do more in the passing game.

They need reps together for sure, but also, the rest of the team needs to step up and play as well.. With RGIII not 100% he just can't throw the team on his back right now and "make" stuff happen.. It's going to take the "team" to come together and help one another overcome this.. I still want a look at the D, when they don't have to be on the field after 3 and out after 3 and out.. Hopefully they aren't as bad as they look, on both sides of the ball..

Are all of you watching the 49ers/Seahawks right now? Do you see how ordinary Kap & Wilson look when they don't have time to throw the ball?  Imagine if their O-line was that bad EVERY WEEK, now you know what RGIII deals with.

If you compare how these two are playing tonight to how RGIII has played under pressure (when healthy) it's not even close.

Did you see Aaron Roger play both against the Skins and 4ers?

He was harassed quite a bit.  What he did was make key adjustments -- taking to the run, making quicker/accurate throws.  Once the vertical game took off, the pressure backed off.

We are spending way too much energy protecting RGIII.  Either he is 100% or not.   RGIII is playing scared, and understandably so. But, his POOR play cost the Skins 2 games. 

Time to seriously consider putting in Kirk Cousin.  

I didn't realize that people were questioning whether he would ever be the same again. It seems pretty obvious to me what he is dealing with and battling through but maybe that is just me.

I do not think that looking at his stats from the pocket is a fair measuring stick when the other team has such a lopsided lead and the defense is clearly playing a prevent scheme.

IMO I believe you have to take his performance in the first half as a measure of his current ability as a pocket passer and take his performance in the second half as his will to win and his drive to not quite.

I don't consider RG3 healthy. Folks keep comparing RG3's recovery to AP's. I'm not sure I will ever see anyone every come back and heal like AP did. Looking a pictures of AP his first game back there was no knee brace. He was cutting and running as he trusted his leg.

Watching RG3 these first 2 games it seems that his mind or body does not trust his knee. He is not planting his foot to drive his throws. When he runs he does not have that speed burst. I have not seen his escape pressure and confuse the defense.

What I would like to know is what happens if this issue is still going on by game 6, 7, or 8? Does the plug get pulled in favor of Kirk?

Lol :)

Now, back on subject. Some of you saying it was garbage time makes me lol. When the jags get blown out in the first 3 quarters does grabbers get better? No. When we got blown out by the giants on Mnf did Campbell get better? No. Griffin IS fine, he will BE ok. You all have to just chill and let a few more weeks play out before you can do this.

Russel Wilson's stat line right now is 2/10 48 yds and an interception, think Seattle fans are freaking out????.?

Check the score now! 

Russell knows how to win.  He makes some beautiful throws ... especially, deep ones.  

Seahawks are leading the 49ers 22 to 3.

He is scared he just had his knee reconstructed for the freakin second time. Can you blame him??? I mean seriously. Did anyone watch the night game when it was delayed and Rodney Harrison was saying how after his cal surgery he was scared to death for the first 8 games? For 8 months griffins had rehab, he's had every person and their mother telling him not to run and slide blah blah. Dude is just petrified right now and I can't blame him. He needs to just relax. He went from playing careless to playing scared, and when he played careless and ran a lot last year, you guys all complained that he was running too much, now he's pocket passing and your crucifying him for that. Give me a break es, you guys can't have your cake and eat it too.

Let the guy play, he's completing over 62% of his passes, averaging 320 yds per game and 2.5 tds per game, but yet we complain because we get off to a slow start and because our defense can't hold anyone.

I didn't realize that people were questioning whether he would ever be the same again. It seems pretty obvious to me what he is dealing with and battling through but maybe that is just me.

I think he'll get it together eventually but deep down, a small thought of him not regaining that form does lurk. But I'm a battered 'Skins fan, that's how I roll.

Did you see Aaron Roger play both against the Skins and 4ers?

He was harassed quite a bit.  What he did was make key adjustments -- taking to the run, making quicker/accurate throws.  Once the vertical game took off, the pressure backed off.

We are spending way too much energy protecting RGIII.  Either he is 100% or not.   RGIII is playing scared, and understandably so. But, his POOR play cost the Skins 2 games. 

Time to seriously consider putting in Kirk Cousin.  

How is he supposed to get better if you put in Cousins? Are we sending the message that we bench our franchise QB after two rough games?

Good grief.

Archived