Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Griffin A Good Enough Pocket Passer?

The Trashman

If he was held out till the bye then he probably wouldn't be fully "clicking" till after a few games either, because he's still has to get used to being in a game again and fully trusting his body

It happened to Tom Brady. It happened to Peyton Manning. It happened to Adrian Peterson. It doesn't mean he's not healthy

I agree with this too. I think he's 100% from a medical sense but not nearly 100% from a football sense. He's going to have to go through the live reps and re-learning to trust his knee process during the season. So, had he sat until after the bye, the Dallas, Chicago, and Denver games would probably have been ugly. Why not start the clock on his football recovery as soon as possible once he's medically cleared?

I think if you look at RG3s college career, and last year in the NFL, he has been a VERY accurate passer.  You dont end up, in your rookie year, with the 3rd best QB rating in the NFL by doing nothing. 

As for garbage stats, hardly, as the Eagles DC himself said he threw too many blitzes in the second half, and was too aggressive and should have dialed it back.  The first two weeks of the regular season are when you can tell the least about a team, and also when people assume the most.  A terrible team can be great in week one, and its a fluke, whereas a really good team can have their worst game of the season in week one.  Wait until week 3, when some trend has developed.

100% means the injury is healed. That is all it really means. There still is a process of getting back into football form, and that is something you can't do by sitting out of games and just taking part in practice.

Unfortunately, RGIII was not cleared during preseason or what we saw against the Eagles might have been shored up with the preseason playing time.

Good question.

Only time will tell if RGIII will develop in into a proficient pocket passer - standing in the pocket -going thru his progressions - the pocket awareness to move just enough to avoid the pass rush..

Or maybe he'll be just be RGIII and continue to break off those 40 yard runs.

Also, our O line's pass blocking needs work.

Agreed with the poster who said Geno Smith is not RGIII.. Geno looked terrible in patches last night and while he was solid overall in the game, he still has deficiencies.  He is inaccurate, holds the ball too long (lack of trust in his receivers?) and makes poor decisions. These are NOT the traits RGIII exhibits.

All told, a healthy RGIII is a better (more efficient/productive) QB than Luck, Kaepernick or Wilson. Now, only if we had a stouter OL to complement Robert, we would be a much better team.

Good question.

Only time will tell if RGIII will develop in into a proficient pocket passer - standing in the pocket -going thru his progressions - the pocket awareness to move just enough to avoid the pass rush..

Or maybe he'll be just be RGIII and continue to break off those 40 yard runs.

Also, our O line's pass blocking needs work.

I think the second half of the monday night football game answered that question, With almost 300 yards passing 2 Td's 1 Int in 1 half of play mind you. RG3 can do it all, and when he is back 100% football shape breaking 40+ yard runs while throwing for 350+.

Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Edit forgot Almo ran 1 in for a td. I mistakenly had RG3 throwing for 3.

RG3 has shown that he can be an effective and proficient pocket passer. The offensive line hasn't shown that they can be an efficient and effective pass protection unit.

Also, all these analyst who say Griffin isn't planting off his back foot are complete fools! Kurt Warner has been the only one to make an accurate assessment of RG3. He said that RG3 has NEVER been a QB who plants off his back foot to make throws. He said if you look at his throws from last year he routinely didn't plant off his back foot because his hips are so good and his arm is incredible. So hopefully no one makes that argument that he's not planting off his back foot. He's never passed like that!

My personal oppinion is that they should have started Cousins and given Griffen more time to recover from his injury. Because as it stands at this point in time with Robert nursing his knee like a baby, I have no doubt that Cousins is the better pocket passer at this point in time. RGIII is still a ways away from getting back to full strength.

Uh... bit of an oxymoron there...

He's good at it when we're not dropping him back on every passing play. Right now we're insanely predictable.

Alfred Morris is a good between-the-tackles runner, but if every running play was up the middle, he would look like crap pretty quickly.

He's good at it when we're not dropping him back on every passing play. Right now we're insanely predictable.

Alfred Morris is a good between-the-tackles runner, but if every running play was up the middle, he would look like crap pretty quickly.

That's what I'm saying. If he can't pass from the pocket when teams know he's going to do it, he's not a good pocket passer.

So if RGIII had spread out his TDs it would have been better for you? We still would have lost by the same result. I love how people blame RGIII instead of the defense that gave up 38 points and 620 yards and would have given up even more if GB had started to run up the score. And no, GB didn't go into a soft prevent in the second half, so don't even try that.

Archived