Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Griffin A Good Enough Pocket Passer?

The Trashman

Fact.  RG3 completed 65% pf his passes in the second half agaisnt a heavy blitzing Eagles defense.

I think he is fine as a pocket passer.  He's still learing to read NFL defenses but he will be fine.

There is no comparison between RGIII and Kap.   Kap is bigger and stronger, and at present a better run option QB.

Here's the irony.  The Skins had an opportunity to draft Kap!

I hate saying this, but it appears RGIII is playing scared.  He appears to hopelessly out of sync.  His throws have not zip, primarily because he isn't planting his right leg for fear it may get hit. 

During his runs, he just doesn't have the explosiveness that he did last year.  

Another thing... You bench him and you split the fans, you split the locker room, and if Kirk isn't much better immediately and struggles the  behind this pourous o-line you will have ruined two QBs confidence and damaged both their trade value.

Agreed. The only way he is benched is if he stinks up the place, which he isn't doing. It is actually amazing knowing than he is playing respectably given his rust.

I assume it's still rust, but he has been horrible at feeling pressure so far this year. Many times he waits until he's about to be hit before he starts throwing the ball.

His pocket awareness is atrocious. It was last year, but it didn't matter because our run game was unstoppable. Pocket awareness, pocket movement, feeling/evading the rush, using his eyes and not staring down receivers, throwing with accuracy. Everything is off. The line hasn't done him any favors, but it's really bad right now.

Again, he can eveolve into a pocket passer. He is talented enough to do it. Steve Young did it and believes RGIII can do it also. Kaepernick was never a pocket passer but did so quite well last week. All he needed was a chance.

Folks need to allow things to develop and ease up on the panic button. The season is young and we all know the latter part of the season is where the rubber hits the road.

HTTR!

I respect that he could potentially become a pocket passer, but we do not have a line or infrastructure to support him. His camp has told him not to run, and the problem with that... is that he will take more hits in the pocket this year then running. If he would learn to slide he'd be safe running 5-7 times a game. And Steve Young's success was also built on his ability to move, his moves went from from vertical(running)to lateral (side to side outside the pocket)to buy time to throw the ball. RG is standing still. This guy has already come back from a torn ACL in college, he should have gotten back to 100% and then come back. This guy made this team successful without him its ugly, we have no line etc. And I hope your right my friend. HTTR

There is no comparison between RGIII and Kap.   Kap is bigger and stronger, and at present a better run option QB.

I hate saying this, but it appears RGIII is playing scared.  He appears to hopelessly out of sync.  His throws have not zip, primarily because he isn't planting his right leg for fear it may get hit. 

His zip was fine later in both games. I think the fear thing will dissapate with time but kaep has no touch on his passes he throws lasers and I don't believe that he has the same tough mentality that Robert has. He has looked great in some games but been reduced to a shadow in others. Robert even when he has struggled looks at least average. His first multi INT regular season game was LAST WEEK. Think about that for a minute.

Fact is that our OLine sucks in pass protection, and if RG3 doesn't show the threat of running, it won't give him time to be good pocket passer...he'll never be Brady or Rogers in the pocket, but with a good oline, he could be a top 10 pocket passer if given a decent Oline

Another thing... You bench him and you split the fans, you split the locker room, and if Kirk isn't much better immediately and struggles the  behind this pourous o-line you will have ruined two QBs confidence and damaged both their trade value.

Agreed, but Kirk is a better bootleg throwing QB---helping the O-line. but your right about the trade value

how can people keep ripping him as a pocket passer while at the same time saying he's rusty and coming back from injury? Like one has nothing to do with the other. You guys think Brady & Manning just flat out would look great this early coming back from a torn acl and missing all of the preseason and most of camp? It works hand & hand. Not to mention its just his 2nd year. You guys think if he were 100% healthy right now and never got hurt then he wouldnt look better as a pocket passer? There is no doubt he would.

People saying he needs to get it together quick or they hope his legs arent his best asset are talking very reckless. Dude was so accurate last year and he no problem going through his reads when needed. Then you say he needs to get it together quick? Like you dont know he's 2 games into his 2nd year, coming back from his 2nd acl injury, and missed all of the Preseason? How can you call yourself a real fan?

He's going to get better every single game. I actually think this may be a blessing in disguise. He's being forced to throw way more now than he wouldve been if he were healthy. I think its advancing the learning curve. Now in  a few games when he's faster, more healthy, and we are able to run great, he can also have confidence that he's thrown it a ton all ready.

To me he already looked better today physically. I thought he moved alot faster. Now its just about totally catching up to the speed of the game. Thats the biggest issue. He needs to catchup to the speed of both our guys and the defense. He'll be getting there. I predicted he wouldnt hit full stride til the 2nd half of the Oakland game so I think he's on track

Sigh. We are stuck.  RGIII needs the opportunity to get back to the zone.  We can pull him for Kirk unless he starts tossing more int's than TD's and completing less than 50% of his passes on the regular.

This wouldn't be that big of a problem if the defense weret halfway respectable.  THAT is where the real problem lies.  A decent defense could protect our QB until his confidence is back where it needs to be.  But, we can't cover, can't tackle, can't stop the run.  The pass rush is there, but that is about it. 

RGIII will be a good pocket passer, eventually.  Will he be epically good? At this time, I can't say yes.  but he's young, and he is not completely lost. 

My confidence in him is definitely shaken, but not totally gone. 

I think patience is a virtue here. Lets see what happens over the next few weeks. I predict that the line will still be struggling but if there are no setbacks with his knee, robert will be much sharper, much earlier. He completed 65% of his passes, the INT wan't his fault today and there were a number of drops today. GB was blitzing the whole game and playing pretty tight coverage the whole game. Rodgers never came out. Only thing that changed was GB started running it more late in the fourth but they were going hard the whole game.

I really can't stand when people make assumptions like this. You put Kaep behind this OL and he wouldn't have 650+ yards and 5 TDs in two games. He has the best OL in the league. If Griffin had a clean pocket and 3+ seconds to throw on every drop back they would've ran the read option LESS last season, as Kyle even admitted the read option kept Griffin from getting hit. 

I really can't stand when people make assumptions like this. You put Kaep behind this OL and he wouldn't have 650+ yards and 5 TDs in two games. He has the best OL in the league. If Griffin had a clean pocket and 3+ seconds to throw on every drop back they would've ran the read option LESS last season, as Kyle even admitted the read option kept Griffin from getting hit. 

People really lose sight of that when making the Kaep comparisons with just about every other young QB. That guy has an All Star O-line. He has a clean pocket on almost every  throw.

Well it didn't take long for this fan base to turn on him. The moment he's back to his old self, and he will be, these same fans will be thumping their chest, claiming they knew all along.

The funny part about this is his "bad games" are better than a bunch of other starters good games. The kid will be fine.

People really lose sight of that when making the Kaep comparisons with just about every other young QB. That guy has an All Star O-line. He has a clean pocket on almost every  throw.

Yep. The 9er's are a super bowl calibre team RIGHT NOW. Enjoy watching poetry in motion tonight when they see Seattle. That seahwaks secondary is going to have a field day on Kaep though.

I cant believe what Im hearing from some of you right now.  "Griffins not a pocket passer"?!?!?  "Griffin never will be a pocket passer"??!?!?

What the heck are you guys talking about?  LAst year everyone was defending him to every person who said luck was better.  Every single one of you were all like "OMG hes just as good in the pocket, you all have no idea what your talking about!"  Now, after 2 bad games, you want to crucify him? 

And the worst part is, HE HAD A DANG GOOD GAME!!

65% completion, 320 yards, 3 tds and 1 int that wasnt even his fault.  But hes a bad pock passer??!  Are you guys kidding me?  Did you see that TD pass to mosS?  This guys the real deal, and yea, hes rusty, all that will come with time.  But dont tell me hes not a good pocket passer when hes been shredding defenses with 1 leg.  Lay off Robert, lets see what happens.

More importantly,  our defense is an absolute joke.  Haslett needs to go, seriously.  They look like they dont even want to play

I think we are lacking legitimate starting caliber receivers.  Garcon is good.  Fred Davis is not as talented as we all think...I bet Jordan Reed replaces him preeeeeetty soon.  Morgan?  Hankerson?  Moss?  These guys are wannabes in the world of the NFL. 

If I'm a defense facing the Redskins, I say "we need to stop RG3 and no one else."

I think we are lacking legitimate starting caliber receivers.  Garcon is good.  Fred Davis is not as talented as we all think...I bet Jordan Reed replaces him preeeeeetty soon.  Morgan?  Hankerson?  Moss?  These guys are wannabes in the world of the NFL. 

If I'm a defense facing the Redskins, I say "we need to stop RG3 and no one else."

I disagree completely with Hank and moss but Morgan is awful. This team has to go after a receiver to pair with Garçon. If the Giants can't bring Nicks back I'd pay him whatever he wants to come here.

Fred Davis is most assuredly still recovering from his Achilles. Whether or not he ever gets back to 100% is anybody's guess. That being said, why can't they get both tight ends out on receiving routes? I've got to think they're both better than any 3rd+ WR.

I cant believe what Im hearing from some of you right now.  "Griffins not a pocket passer"?!?!?  "Griffin never will be a pocket passer"??!?!?

What the heck are you guys talking about?  LAst year everyone was defending him to every person who said luck was better.  Every single one of you were all like "OMG hes just as good in the pocket, you all have no idea what your talking about!"  Now, after 2 bad games, you want to crucify him? 

And the worst part is, HE HAD A DANG GOOD GAME!!

65% completion, 320 yards, 3 tds and 1 int that wasnt even his fault.  But hes a bad pock passer??!  Are you guys kidding me?  Did you see that TD pass to mosS?  This guys the real deal, and yea, hes rusty, all that will come with time.  But dont tell me hes not a good pocket passer when hes been shredding defenses with 1 leg.  Lay off Robert, lets see what happens.

More importantly,  our defense is an absolute joke.  Haslett needs to go, seriously.  They look like they dont even want to play

Classic case of stats not telling the whole story. 

Some of what I'm reading is embarrassing.  Some of you should really try to learn aa little about football instead of just opening your mouths. 

Robert looks like he does for two reasons.

1. He hasn't played football  since the Seahawk game last January.  No OTA's, minicamps, 7 on 7s, scrimmages, preseason, practice, etc...

2. He ran the stupid pistol offense all last year, which stunted his growth as an NFL quarterback, and hid his deficiencies as a pocket passer.

What's even dumber is people are actually mad because our FRANCHISE QB is now taking the "lumps" he should have taken last year, in order to actually develop into a pocket passer or whatever hybrid type qb he needs to be to win. 

Fact is, the Redskins are not winning a Superbowl with Robert running the read option, and he's not going to improve on 3rd down as a passer until he develops the ability to read defenses. 

I am happy he and the staff have decided what's best for him and the team by letting him develop correctly despite the idiocy of some of our fan base who seem to know little about  NFL football.

Archived