Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Griffin A Good Enough Pocket Passer?

The Trashman

He's 23, 19 games into his career, coming off ACL surgery....let's cut him some slack please.

If Tim Tebow is the "standard-bearer" for running QBs who were unable to transition to being a pocket-passer then I'd say we're gonna be ok with Robert.

The guy is smart, he's physically gifted and not only with his legs.

Even without his running ability he can still be great and if I'm wrong what would anyone have to prove me different at this point? Two ******* games? Games where he threw for 320 and 329 respectively? That's not a guy who can't play QB, those aren't Gabbert numbers, Ponder numbers, Jason Campbell numbers, etc....

We're coming to grips with RG3 as we once knew him possiibly being gone, I understand people are upset but why go so far as to give up on him? After the greatness of last season, has he not built up enough equity with this ******* pathetic, pathetic excuse for a franchise to merit some patience as he comes back from injury?

I dont understand it either. Seems like a lot just never liked him and were waiting for the chance to pile on. 

Or they just really like Cousins. 

Either that or there's something more sinister behind those posts. Something black QBs have to face every year from the mediots.

I hope not but in this day and age you never know.

the offense line the shanahans put in place cater more to run blocking and having a moving pocket. its no secret they suck at pass protection. so why are they trying to force traditional drop back passing plays? either trying to protect rg3 or because he cant run the stuff we did last year.

either way the coaches are to blame because they're aren't playing to the team's strengths or they're trying to force an injured player on the field.

Yeah this offense looks nothing like last years.  It's an offense designed to have a moving pocket (see the first few drives of the Browns game last year).  They need to let, or RG3 needs to want, to run with the ball off of the RO or on a roll-out.  Until he proves he can run or be a factor in the run game, teams will continue to blow us out. 

Would it be so shocking if the egotistical Shanahans decided they wanted to show the "Griffin camp" just what their qb looks like in a true drop back offense?  I'm not saying Griffin can't be a great pocket passer, because he can--and he will improve.  But in the grand scheme of things, I think the Shanahans know they don't have the pieces for a drop back offense and their pleas for the griffin camp to listen to them have been futile...so the only thing they can do is show them just how bad this offense is without moving the pocket and the RO. 

Kyle has ALWAYS moved the pocket, even with the likes of Grossman and Schaub.  we need to get back to that and have the threat of the RO...it's what made this team so successful.  Griffin doesn't HAVE to run a lot to be successful...he only needs the threat of it.  As it stands right now, Griffin is getting CLOBBERED standing back there like a statue.  He's taking worse hits inside the pocket than he did the majority of the time outside the pocket last year, ATL and BAL witholding. 

Yeah this offense looks nothing like last years.  It's an offense designed to have a moving pocket (see the first few drives of the Browns game last year).  They need to let, or RG3 needs to want, to run with the ball off of the RO or on a roll-out.  Until he proves he can run or be a factor in the run game, teams will continue to blow us out. 

I dont think he necessarily has to run. He just can't sit in the pocket against blitzes waiting for a slow developing 2 WR route tree. 

Spread the defense out give him some quick reads and passes that can beat blitzes and you will see a much better offense and running game. Then also move the pocket on rollouts and bootlegs. The guy isn't in a wheelchair, I have no idea what the coaches are trying to do. 

Would it be so shocking if the egotistical Shanahans decided they wanted to show the "Griffin camp" just what their qb looks like in a true drop back offense?  I'm not saying Griffin can't be a great pocket passer, because he can--and he will improve.  But in the grand scheme of things, I think the Shanahans know they don't have the pieces for a drop back offense and their pleas for the griffin camp to listen to them have been futile...so the only thing they can do is show them just how bad this offense is without moving the pocket and the RO. 

Kyle has ALWAYS moved the pocket, even with the likes of Grossman and Schaub.  we need to get back to that and have the threat of the RO...it's what made this team so successful.  Griffin doesn't HAVE to run a lot to be successful...he only needs the threat of it.  As it stands right now, Griffin is getting CLOBBERED standing back there like a statue.  He's taking worse hits inside the pocket than he did the majority of the time outside the pocket last year, ATL and BAL witholding. 

If the Shanahans are proving a point and putting that ahead of the team and RG3's health in this ridiculous pocket of protection then they both need to go. That is completely irresponsible by men in position of leadership. 

Which is why I don't think they are proving a point with this. 

the offense line the shanahans put in place cater more to run blocking and having a moving pocket. its no secret they suck at pass protection. so why are they trying to force traditional drop back passing plays? either trying to protect rg3 or because he cant run the stuff we did last year.

either way the coaches are to blame because they're aren't playing to the team's strengths or they're trying to force an injured player on the field.

You cant blame the coaches for the players especially RG3 not executing. 3 and Out over and over again of course the defense is going to get tired and break. Once you're down 30 points and your QB who cant run is no threat to run. You're pretty much screwed. RG3 is holding the team back by being selfish trying to prove hes healthy enough to play. I wish We started Kirk from week 1 and even if we go 0-2 I don't think we lose games the way we did.

I dont think he necessarily has to run. He just can't sit in the pocket against blitzes waiting for a slow developing 2 WR route tree. 

Spread the defense out give him some quick reads and passes that can beat blitzes and you will see a much better offense and running game. Then also move the pocket on rollouts and bootlegs. The guy isn't in a wheelchair, I have no idea what the coaches are trying to do. 

If the Shanahans are proving a point and putting that ahead of the team and RG3's health in this ridiculous pocket of protection then they both need to go. That is completely irresponsible by men in position of leadership. 

Which is why I don't think they are proving a point with this. 

Agreed about proving points.  But would you put it beyond the shannys? 

any number of things is happening here.

1.) Griffin is not ready, mentally or physically.

2.) There is pressure put on the shannys to make griffin into a pure pocket passer.

3.) The Shanahans, in their own minds, believe their offense is better run without the threat of a mobile QB.

I'd say number 3 is out.  That means that either Griffin and his family have put so much pressure on the HC and OC that they are willing to sacrifice wins to make him happy, OR Griffin is not ready.  I really hope it's just that RG3 is not comfortable with his knee yet and that it is structurally sound.  If it's any part of number 2 we are in a lot of trouble as an organization. 

8 pages worth of debating if a QB who was never even in the vicinity of a traditional pocket based offense is a good enough pocket passer in his 17th start in the NFL? What fantasy land are we living in of course he's not good enough right now but that's not a knock on him he's still made of flesh and bone like any other spread QB having to make the transition. The notion that his only weakness is protecting himself is inaccurate. His pocket presence needs a lot of work (once again why wouldn't it) and his footwork needs a lot of polishing, as does his ability to diagnose coverages on the fly, although he has flashed the ability to go through his progressions and make the right throw. He's an intelligent guy, and if he puts in the work there's no reason he won't get there but it's absurd to think he'll be there right now.

It's not about RGIII running necessarily, last night against the 49ers, Russell Wilson only ran a few times, but the threat was there. He had to pick his shots carefully, but when he did run it was effective.

I wish we would be seeing more bootlegs and PA waggles and stuff.  Get the pocket moving, get RGIII out of the danger zone.  This also helps him begin to trust his knee again without the pressure to take off running while at the same time buying more time for throws.

through 2 games RG3 has 

56 comp. 89 Attempts. 62 Pct. 649 yards. 5 TDs. 89 Rating

Now hes on pace to throw for 

448 comp, 712 Attempts, 5192 yards, 40 TDs, 24 Ints

Just a heads up.

Do you just tune in to the second half of games?  This isn't a fantasy football league, we want wins.  I don't want RG3 to be another Tony Romo sits to pee. 

It's not about RGIII running necessarily, last night against the 49ers, Russell Wilson only ran a few times, but the threat was there. He had to pick his shots carefully, but when he did run it was effective.

I wish we would be seeing more bootlegs and PA waggles and stuff.  Get the pocket moving, get RGIII out of the danger zone.  This also helps him begin to trust his knee again without the pressure to take off running while at the same time buying more time for throws.

The cats out of the bag RG3 is no threat to run so teams blitz him right up the middle and force him to throw knowing he can't.

Ok then... Fix the defense and hes nothing like Tony Romo sits to pee. 

How can you blame the defense when the offense does absolutely nothing until the other team brings in their backups. What our offense does is no difference than punting the ball on 1st down. You can't expect your defense to hold up an entire game after drives like that. RG3s stats are meaningless and come at garbage time just like Tony Romos.

RW did jack all yesterday. His defense gave him 4 turnovers and the 9er's secondary took away his primary and forced him to go to his second and third reads which he could not do effectively. shovel passes padded what meager stats he had. He is going to be a great one but plase do not overstate his barely-a-game-manager play yesterday.

Ok then... Fix the defense and hes nothing like Tony Romo sits to pee. 

I agree. Defense is Tired my foot. They allowed a 14 play 8 minute scoring drive on the first GB possession not only allowing our offense to get cold but then they proceeded to stay on the field for long periods of time throughout the first half. They need to do their job.

I love all so many of you last year were defending RG3 to the Andrew Luck fans saying how Griffin was a great pocket passer and blah blah blah and now your all turning on him.  Its really truly unbelievable.  I personally always thought Luck was way better, BUT, that doesnt mean I thought Griffin wasnt good, I thought RG3 was great, and even I know that its going to take a little more time then 2 weeks for him to get back to form, jeez guys, he freaking ripped his knee to shreds, give him a few weeks.

The cats out of the bag RG3 is no threat to run so teams blitz him right up the middle and force him to throw knowing he can't.

How can you blame the defense when the offense does absolutely nothing until the other team brings in their backups. What our offense does is no difference than punting the ball on 1st down. You can't expect your defense to hold up an entire game after drives like that. RG3s stats are meaningless and come at garbage time just like Tony Romos.

Ridiculous Arod and company were still in it all game long. No one pulled there starters and both opponents have been hitting the 1 and 2 gaps eating our QB deep into the fourth.

through 2 games RG3 has 

56 comp. 89 Attempts. 62 Pct. 649 yards. 5 TDs. 89 Rating

Now hes on pace to throw for 

448 comp, 712 Attempts, 5192 yards, 40 TDs, 24 Ints

Just a heads up.

Just imagine if he'd have played the first half of the first 2 games.  he'd be on pace for

896 - 1424 for 10384, 80 tds and 48 ints

Ridiculous Arod and company were still in it all game long. No one pulled there starters and both opponents have been hitting the 1 and 2 gaps eating our QB deep into the fourth.

So let me get this straight.  The only points this team has put on the scoreboard in the first half have come from the defense, our offense only to gain yards against teams that no longer are worried about giving up yards/points in the second half, and our special teams is the worst in the NFL...and yet the ONLY problem with this team is the defense. 

You simply cannot give the ball back to high powered offenses repeatedly and not expect to get scored on.  All the while NOT scoring points yourself.  In meaningful football (1st halves of both games, combined to make 4 full quarters of meaningful football), we have a combined 236 total yards, 4 turnovers, -2 points, and a dumb look on our faces. 

Yea, the defense is our only problem. 

So let me get this straight.  The only points this team has put on the scoreboard in the first half have come from the defense, our offense only to gain yards against teams that no longer are worried about giving up yards/points in the second half, and our special teams is the worst in the NFL...and yet the ONLY problem with this team is the defense. 

You simply cannot give the ball back to high powered offenses repeatedly and not expect to get scored on.  All the while NOT scoring points yourself.  In meaningful football (1st halves of both games, combined to make 4 full quarters of meaningful football), we have a combined 236 total yards, 4 turnovers, -2 points, and a dumb look on our faces. 

Yea, the defense is our only problem. 

Please show me where I said the D was the ONLY problem... Have fun with that...

Archived