Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

I don't care what anyone thinks, that is a coward's move. LeBron had reason to leave Cleveland, they gave him no help for 7 years. To join the team you had down 3-1, I'm sorry, be a damn competitor. Lost some respect for KD today.

I don't see it as any worse than LeBron meeting with his buddies Wade and Bosh in the off season about playing together when they were all free agents, announcing that to the world so teams (Heat) would be able to make that happen.  I actually could care less that LeBron did that, I'm over that.  

Golden State gave him the best option to contend and win rings.  I'm sure the meeting with Jerry West was icing on the cake.  If you read what West talked to him about, there was no way you couldn't come to the conclusion that he would go to GS.  He is very well respected in the league.  

He left a contender for another contender.  They should be even more fun to watch now.  Hell, I might actually get the NBA package next season to catch some of their games.

• Like 1

Also, I love how people are saying this is the easy way out... Do y'all know how much heat Durant will take if he doesn't win the title with GS this year? This is risky as hell.

Moves like this never pay off how we expect. Just like we said the Heat would be unstoppable and they immediately lose their first finals and only walk away with 2 out of 4. Hell we thought the same all of last season too. It was just a formality

Let's see who steps up. Now there is a Goliath. Is David out there?

• Like 2

Can't blame GS for drafting well and bringing in free agents and watching their players explode into a force, while still having the cap space to land a top 3 player in free agency.

They luckily have Klay and Green locked in until 2019 and 2020 respectively. But the remaining players from this years squad are only signed through next year, Steph included.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/golden_state_warriors/

Will they be able to afford both Steph, KD, Klay and Green in 2017-18?  Along with the salaries of 8 other players?

Would you feel the same way if you could've had something like a franchise tag to keep from losing Jefferson?

Your team is basically in the same boat mine is where we have no chance of holding on to the star players we do luck into when we do and extremely difficult to get others to sign with our team as free agents.

Until the NBA does a better job of making sure better developed players were in the draft increasing the talent pool, we're eternal sitting ducks. I agree Thunder screwed up by not trying to keep to find a way to keep Harden in order to save money, have for years.

Moves like this never pay off how we expect. Just like we said the Heat would be unstoppable and they immediately lose their first finals and only walk away with 2 out of 4. Hell we thought the same all of last season too. It was just a formality

Let's see who steps up. Now there is a Goliath. Is David out there?

The heat lost to the Mavs their first year and a stacked Spurs team the fourth year. They went to the Finals all four years. Because they didn't win all four doesn't mean it was a failure.

I don't know how this is going to work out... But all I know instead of Mr.Inconsistent Harrison Barnes, it'll be Kevin Durant taking shots for Golden State.

(Side note, if the Spurs find a way to beat this GS team, Pops will go down as the greatest head coach ever in any sport. lol)

The amazing this is the people who keep comparing this to getting a better job in the real world. ITS NOT THE SAME THING. He took less money for the easy way out. He doesn't get a pass when he did the exact same thing Lebron got roasted for. It's unfair to OKC who had no opportunity to prepare for this.

He took less money long term to be in a better job (e.g. better players around him that will make his job easier and less stressful).  Not fair to OKC?  Please, they signed him to the contract and they had the option to trade him before it expired if they wanted to.  They didn't, he walked.  

He wants rings more than money.  Can't believe people are upset at him for taking less money to put himself in a better position to win championships.

If somebody tells me, I can make an extra 20% per year at a new job that fits me better and I have the help that I’ve been waiting for my whole career, y’all would call me stupid if I would stay with my former job making the same amount of money as the new job, but with less help.

So heck naw I ain’t mad at KD. I’m borderline happy for him…

KD going to the Warriors and the Wizards “improved” a little bit. I ain’t even mad.

Now KD had no help? He wasn't even the best player on OKC. Come on man.

This has been going on since the NBA existed. It's never had parity and always has relied on a handful of dominant teams.

No it hasnt.  Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Isiah thomas, Hakeem Olajuwon, these guys were all drafted by a team and they built those teams into champions, they didn't take the path of least resistance by creating a superteam.

In the past teams were built, you never saw big time superstars forming all star teams through free agency.

What Durant did was just lame.

Edited by jschuck12001

Durant going to OKC shows no competitive fire or desire. You think Charles Barkley would have signed up with Jordan's Bulls? Would Dr. J sign with Bird's Celtics? No way. They wanted to win titles sure but they wanted to beat the best.

Nowadays everyone's all buddy buddy and wants to build superteams to coast to titles.

I've lost respect for Durant. I don't care that he didn't sign here, whatever that wasn't going to happen anyway. I'd have had no proble mif he signed with like the Celtics or Clippers. But by going to the Warriors he's basically conceding defeat and saying I'm not good enough to beat them so I'll join them so I can win an easy ring or two.

• Like 2

He took less money long term to be in a better job (e.g. better players around him that will make his job easier and less stressful). Not fair to OKC? Please, they signed him to the contract and they had the option to trade him before it expired if they wanted to. They didn't, he walked.

He wants rings more than money. Can't believe people are upset at him for taking less money to put himself in a better position to win championships.

I can't believe people are defending these type of moves? And if he wants rings he should've played better when his team was up 3-1 on these same GS Warriors.

• Like 1

Would you feel the same way if you could've had something like a franchise tag to keep from losing Jefferson?

Your team is basically in the same boat mine is where we have no chance of holding on to the star players we do luck into when we do and extremely difficult to get others to sign with our team as free agents.

Until the NBA does a better job of making sure better developed players were in the draft increasing the talent pool, we're eternal sitting ducks. I agree Thunder screwed up by not trying to keep to find a way to keep Harden in order to save money, have for years.

You have a chance. It's called being good and building a team around them.

Obviously the Thunder did that but seemed to stand pat a lot and like I said, losing Harden and keeping Brooks prevented them from reaching the tip top which is what it took to keep Durant.

Plus he had no assurances Westbrook wasn't going to bail and then he's stuck holding the bag

• Like 1

Of course he had help, but he also lost a valuable 3rd scoring option that was a difference between making OKC a title team instead of a strong contender.

They were winning the series against GS...they were up 3-1. Enough with this garbage excuse.

No it hasnt.  Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Isiah thomas, Hakeem Olajuwon, these guys were all drafted by a team and they built those teams into champions, they didn't take the path of least resistance by creating a superteam.

In the past teams were built, you never saw big time superstars forming all star teams through free agency.

What Durant did was just lame.

Bird and Magic got drafted to the two best organizations in basketball. Isiah Thomas had several hall of famers around him. Jordan's team won 50 games WITHOUT him, and my man Hakeem was a beast, but he didn't win two titles until Clyde got there.

The Warriors built a team and won a championship. They just lost, Durant just lost, so we're going to punish them for not wanting to lose and joining forces? Get outta here man.

Plus he had no assurances Westbrook wasn't going to bail and then he's stuck holding the bag

This too! If KD went back to OKC and Westrbook dipped in 2017, how dumb would KD look? He'll be just another Melo honestly.

Durant going to OKC shows no competitive fire or desire. You think Charles Barkley would have signed up with Jordan's Bulls? Would Dr. J sign with Bird's Celtics? No way. They wanted to win titles sure but they wanted to beat the best.

Nowadays everyone's all buddy buddy and wants to build superteams to coast to titles.

I've lost respect for Durant. I don't care that he didn't sign here, whatever that wasn't going to happen anyway. I'd have had no proble mif he signed with like the Celtics or Clippers. But by going to the Warriors he's basically conceding defeat and saying I'm not good enough to beat them so I'll join them so I can win an easy ring or two.

Let's not pretend like Barkley didn't want the trade to the rockets to happen.  He was chasing a ring/title. 

Durant had every right to make this decision.  I don't put any blame on him, a guy like Lebron, or Horford for going elsewhere. 

He's going to have more pressure on him to win the title this season than any other player in the league.

The hot takes and salty-retired vet opinions are going to be out of control. 

• Like 1

Bird and Magic got drafted to the two best organizations in basketball. Isiah Thomas had several hall of famers around him. Jordan's team won 50 games WITHOUT him, and my man Hakeem was a beast, but he didn't win two titles until Clyde got there.

The Warriors built a team and won a championship. They just lost, Durant just lost, so we're going to punish them for not wanting to lose and joining forces? Get outta here man.

This too! If KD went back to OKC and Westrbook dipped in 2017, how dumb would KD look? He'll be just another Melo honestly.

KD was never going to take a long term deal if he went back to OKC for this reason. This isn't part of the argument.

• Like 1

I guess when there's only 5 players on the floor at a time, big name free agent moves in the NBA have much more visible impact than the NFL or MLB.

my beef beef is with the system. i just don't like that it's possible for players to do what they're doing these days. These guys are all Type-A's who want to win. I have zero issue with that.

But what happened in Miami in 2009 opened the flood gates. though big free agency moves dont aleays work out, what happens at the end of June every year will decide who's relevant the following season.

Edited by Chew
  • Like 1

Since his injuries last season, then the drug suspension, I pretty much thought he was out the door anyhow.  He said he wanted to stay in Charlotte and even come off the bench, so it looks like it was Charlotte that let him walk.  

Franchise tag or not, we would still have to be under the cap and our problem this year was we brought in a bunch of players on 1-2 year deals (with opt out year 2) and had expiring contracts of the core team at the same time.  They spent the money on Kemba, Batum, Williams.  

I was hoping when MJ bought the team, just his stardom would attract better free agents, all-star caliber to CLT.  It hasn't and it's disappointing.  

If the Wiz lose Wall that's their fault. They've been poorly run and haven't shown any proof that they know what to do to field a winning team. They've blown it.

I'm my life, not staying with a company that doesn't have vision or provide me the best chance to achieve my own personal goals. Neither should any athlete regarding their teams/places of employment

One year franchise tag without ability to do back-to-back would be fair. I'd feel differently if there was more talent, and NBA already has restricted free agents, which is very different from how most job markets work. Not asking to hold players prisoner, I just want more parity.

KD was never going to take a long term deal if he went back to OKC for this reason. This isn't part of the argument.

So if he never was going to take a long term deal with OKC because he didn't want to risk losing Westbrook, how dare we criticize him for making an even better move for him?

So if he never was going to take a long term deal with OKC because he didn't want to risk losing Westbrook, how dare we criticize him for making an even better move for him?

Because it's cowardly as tons of people have said. One game away from the finals and now he's joining the team he couldn't beat.